Texas BBQ

Washpark

11 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I had some amazeballs bbq at Leroy and Lewis yesterday. Beef cheeks with a side of frito pie.

iwvFjMkp_o.jpeg

In other bbq news, John Mueller is going scorched earth on Daniel Vaughn on Twitter.

Do you run a marathon every day with your snakes chasing you?   

I love BBQ and thought I ate it a lot but dude. Do you eat anything other than BBQ?   I’m not easily impressed but my hat is off to you.   

• Like 1

Do you run a marathon every day with your snakes chasing you?   

I love BBQ and thought I ate it a lot but dude. Do you eat anything other than BBQ?   I’m not easily impressed but my hat is off to you.   

Hahaha. No marathon. But I probably should. I was doing a lot of BJJ, but injuries have sidelined me. I was walking 5-7 miles a day. I need to start making sure that is a thing again at the very least.

1 hour ago, Jerry Callo said:

I saw that - what a douchbag.

i think my favorite part was how he said he has been in the business for 30 years

how many of the last 10? 15? years has he actually been cooking vs taking a vacation due to substances, family issues, financial issues, lease issues or tax issues?

at this point he is on his fourth? place in the last 9 years - and every time he has left a partnership he has left someone burned or holding the bag. family, partners, the State, etc.

JMueller BBQ (now la barbeque, sister booted him for "mismanagement") --> John Mueller Meat Co (left $92k in unpaid sales tax, burned folks here) --> John Mueller Black Box (was an employee only AFAIK?)

8ydI0gxG

JA8Uevey

9lysQOHO

as usual, he comes across as a very balanced human being.

it appears what set him off was this tweet where DV just praises his father? instead of John Mueller, Andy Littlejohn and "Funds  express".

BrEfrPdi

side note: this back and forth with JC Reid made me actually laugh. mainly because i thought the exact same thing

FK8lgSwm

Edited by NoName
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Vaughn can be a douche, but JM is a grifting, mentally ill stumblebum that cooks delicious meat.  

Push.

I used to agree.  I tried JMs new set up in Granger a couple months ago and it was some of the worst barbecue I've had.  Parts of the brisket were completely inedible.  I think his give-a-shitter is broke.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I used to agree.  I tried JMs new set up in Granger a couple months ago and it was some of the worst barbecue I've had.  Parts of the brisket were completely inedible.  I think his give-a-shitter is broke.

Good to know.  I last ate his food while he was at the East Austin Shaggy investor/sales tax grift joint.  Driving up to Georgetown was not a good option, and Granger is worse.  As you say, he's most likely out of comebacks.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Good to know.  I last ate his food while he was at the East Austin Shaggy investor/sales tax grift joint.  Driving up to Georgetown was not a good option, and Granger is worse.  As you say, he's most likely out of comebacks.

I ate at the place in Georgetown several times and gave him high praise.  I think his volumes are so low now and margins so thin, that he is going to serve everything regardless of the quality.  He should have been embarrassed to be associated with the order he served us and he sliced and plated it.  It's too bad because he can cook wonderful barbecue.

29 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I ate at the place in Georgetown several times and gave him high praise.  I think his volumes are so low now and margins so thin, that he is going to serve everything regardless of the quality.  He should have been embarrassed to be associated with the order he served us and he sliced and plated it.  It's too bad because he can cook wonderful barbecue.

My food in Georgetown was overcooked crap. Pass. 

On 7/10/2020 at 6:26 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Old 300 is trash bbq

In Blanco?

Haven't been recently but the brisket i have had there has never been worse than average and ribs were pretty tasty.

I avoided their sausage for same reason as you. no thanks.

If you are out this way, next time to go to Blackbox BBQ in Sisterdale (north of Boerne) - far and away the best Q in the Hill Country West of The Switch.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NoName said:

If you are out this way, next time to go to Blackbox BBQ in Sisterdale (north of Boerne) - far and away the best Q in the Hill Country West of The Switch.

Blackboard is good. Get an order of the Luckenbach lollipops to go with the que.  Deep fried quail.

40435628_319499931942417_556511683627974

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 10:16 AM, Jerry Callo said:

On 7/10/2020 at 10:34 AM, SizzleChest said:

On 7/10/2020 at 11:10 AM, Jerry Callo said:

I told him to go fuck himself at the last Cue for a Cause fundraiser at Cottonwood in Houston a few years ago.  Really angered some of the posters on here who worshiped the ground he walked on, but seriously, fuck him.

Come to think of it, maybe it wasn't the last Cue for a Cause, but just the last one in which I was invited to participate.  Oops.

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 10:34 AM, SizzleChest said:

As you say, he's most likely out of comebacks.

Don't call it a comeback
He's been here for 30+ years
He's rocking Lone Stone beers
Puttin' Pluckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the money go soon
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the credit line he’s towerin'
Wrecking shop when he writes the checks
That'll make you call IRS

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Don't call it a comeback
He's been here for 30+ years
He's rocking Lone Stone beers
Puttin' Pluckers in fear
Makin' the tears rain down like a monsoon
Listen to the money go soon
Explosions, overpowerin'
Over the credit line he’s towerin'
Wrecking shop when he writes the checks
That'll make you call IRS

Mama said don't flip out
Of course I'm gonna flip out
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Homesickhorn said:

I told him to go fuck himself at the last Cue for a Cause fundraiser at Cottonwood in Houston a few years ago.  Really angered some of the posters on here who worshiped the ground he walked on, but seriously, fuck him.

Come to think of it, maybe it wasn't the last Cue for a Cause, but just the last one in which I was invited to participate.  Oops.

Never understood the love.  I ate there once...the BBQ was good, not great and he was a dick.  To the point my little girl asked me, “Daddy, why was that man so mean?” when we got to our table.

Yeah, let’s invest in a guy whose concept is to treat the customers like shit.  What could possibly go wrong?

• Hook 'Em 2

Never understood the love.  I ate there once...the BBQ was good, not great and he was a dick.  To the point my little girl asked me, “Daddy, why was that man so mean?” when we got to our table.
Yeah, let’s invest in a guy whose concept is to treat the customers like shit.  What could possibly go wrong?
No soup for you!

46 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

https://dickslastresort.com/

On 7/9/2020 at 7:02 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I had some amazeballs bbq at Leroy and Lewis yesterday. Beef cheeks with a side of frito pie.

iwvFjMkp_o.jpeg

In other bbq news, John Mueller is going scorched earth on Daniel Vaughn on Twitter.

I'm sure you began using "amazeballs" ironically.  It may have slipped into your vocabulary.  Might want to check on that.

I did the same thing with "dude" in the 80s.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:
2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

No soup for you!

Or the old GM Steakhouse on the Drag

• Like 2

in response to him being a dick to you or what?  do you work for the IRS?

He was being kind of an all around dick to some of the volunteers, myself included, and I was sick of his shit. It wasn’t his show and he treated it like it was. It was a benefit for wounded veterans, and he was waddling around like he was doing everyone a favor.
  • Like 3

So I was in Palestine this past Friday and figured I would try some BBQ. So I found this place called Country P’s BBQ Which had good reviews. When I got there I asked what kind of sausage and the lady working the counter said it was Eckrich sausage. Hmmm. So I was taken a bit back by that and in a moment of confusion I ordered their “monster sandwich” which was chopped brisket, sausage, pickles, onions and jalapeños. I have never had a chopped sandwich where literally every ingredient is chopped up in fine bits and put on a bun.

dlduI0Kg_o.jpeg

It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t that good either. I was confused at the prep and presentation. They were nice folks though. Maybe a plate of brisket would have been better. But nothing could save the sausage.

With the exception Of the East Texas places that were on the TM top 50 list, I have been disappointed in East texas bbq time and time again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

So I was in Palestine this past Friday and figured I would try some BBQ. So I found this place called Country P’s BBQ Which had good reviews. When I got there I asked what kind of sausage and the lady working the counter said it was Eckrich sausage. Hmmm. So I was taken a bit back by that and in a moment of confusion I ordered their “monster sandwich” which was chopped brisket, sausage, pickles, onions and jalapeños. I have never had a chopped sandwich where literally every ingredient is chopped up in fine bits and put on a bun.

dlduI0Kg_o.jpeg

It wasn’t awful, but it wasn’t that good either. I was confused at the prep and presentation. They were nice folks though. Maybe a plate of brisket would have been better. But nothing could save the sausage.

With the exception Of the East Texas places that were on the TM top 50 list, I have been disappointed in East texas bbq time and time again.

Not terrible. Just weird. 

Moved to Lufkin 18 months ago. The best BBQ in town is in my back yard so far. People that I have fed have been amazed and astounded like I’m feeding them some amazing, revolutionary thing. 

I know I’m a good cook, but...c’mon!

I think they’re just used to weird BBQ here. 

Edited by After irth
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Spoiler

dlduI0Kg_o.jpeg

Not even kidding, but a well made Mel-Man is a damn good sandwich (DV on it) - that article has a comment in it from Stephen Joseph at Riverport in Jefferson

Joseph’s Riverport Bar-B-Que in Jefferson doesn’t have it on the menu, but they’ll make a Mel-Man if you request it. Owner Stephen Joseph says they get about a dozen requests a week. “Some folks even ask us to chop up the jalapeños, pickles, and onions in there too. I guess that’s a different spin on it,” Joseph says.

overall, you are right. the Top 50 joints in ETX are great. outside of that it is very hit and miss. Non Mobberly Bodacious locations are at least generally solid. Outside of that it is a crap shoot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lame entry but figured I'd bump. Had Rudy's on 183 off Duval. Looks like they have been able to keep their prices down vs some others - moist was 21/lb, st louis ribs were 17 or 18, spicy chop was 14. They offer a prime rib now for 26/lb. Intrigued me but I passed (sorry if this isn't a new development - haven't been in awhile).

Ribs

20200729-142815.jpg

Brisket

20200729-142723.jpg

Both were a little overdone or had maybe been sitting out for too long. Better than some Rudy's I've had - especially the ones outside of Austin - but nowhere near the best I've had from them. The Spicy Chop was still good and has remained consistent - can't go wrong there. Overall for the price it's a solid B offering - spicy chop probably saved it from being a B-. I'd get a pound of moist from Rudy's for $21 before I'd go to say Stiles Switch for a $29 pound. Whatever gulf there is (if any) isn't worth a 38% price hike. 

Rudy's basically remains what it is in my eyes. Pretty cheap, super convenient, great service (I actually wish they were a little less friendly - it makes me uncomfortable) and passable to solid to sometimes surprisingly good meat.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, ztejas said:

Lame entry but figured I'd bump. Had Rudy's on 183 off Duval. Looks like they have been able to keep their prices down vs some others - moist was 21/lb, st louis ribs were 17 or 18, spicy chop was 14. They offer a prime rib now for 26/lb. Intrigued me but I passed (sorry if this isn't a new development - haven't been in awhile).

Ribs

20200729-142815.jpg

Brisket

20200729-142723.jpg

Both were a little overdone or had maybe been sitting out for too long. Better than some Rudy's I've had - especially the ones outside of Austin - but nowhere near the best I've had from them. The Spicy Chop was still good and has remained consistent - can't go wrong there. Overall for the price it's a solid B offering - spicy chop probably saved it from being a B-. I'd get a pound of moist from Rudy's for $21 before I'd go to say Stiles Switch for a $29 pound. Whatever gulf there is (if any) isn't worth a 38% price hike. 

Rudy's basically remains what it is in my eyes. Pretty cheap, super convenient, great service (I actually wish they were a little less friendly - it makes me uncomfortable) and passable to solid to sometimes surprisingly good meat.

I've had really good luck with the location at 183 in Westlake. While not on the level of the top-end places, it nearly always above average. Every other one I've tried has been inconsistent and B-level.

I think I need some bbq for lunch. Maybe Roegels.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just got done trying Bexar BBQ in Tomball. Not a great photo, but then again they aren’t much for presentation in the plating like some places. However, the brisket was cooked very well. Moist, tender and fat was rendered. The rub needs some work. Definitely needed more salt in it. Pepper too probably. The sausage, if I remember correctly, was beef, pork, jalapeño with jack cheese. It was underwhelming. I didn’t try the coleslaw, but I did try the beans. Pretty meh.

I think they have potential to be a really solid spot, but with Tejas just down the road a bit, I don’t see myself going back if I am doing the one choosing between those two spots.

ompNy0H6_o.jpeg

For lunch today, I picked up 1/2 pound of moist Prime brisket, a link of sausage today, and jalapeno/green apple slaw from Pustka Family Barbecue in Hutto.  I've tried them several times and it has always been great.   

I also grabbed a 4.5# Top Sirlion Cap from Nolan Ryan's Goodstock meat market.  Picanha for dinner this weekend.