Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 8/19/2020 at 2:22 PM, utee94 said:

Stiles Switch BBQ and Brew in Cedar Park on 1431, set to open up on Friday.  I don't love the one down on North Lamar but I've had some good food there on occasion, so I'll give this one a shot.  

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be heading over today for lunch.

5 hours ago, AustinMT said:

They serve charro beans, not regular bbq-place pintos, so they look and taste different

If so, that’s a win... just like everything else in that pic.  Love the combo of Cen-Tex-Mex greatness.

4 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Thanks for the heads up.  I'll be heading over today for lunch.

Did you make it in for lunch?

I did, ordered brisket, pork ribs, and a beef rib.  It was all really excellent this time.  Brisket and beef rib were spot on, tender juicy and flavorful with plenty of smoke.  And the pork ribs had more and larger  black pepper than I'm used to down at North Lamar, which I really liked. 

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Did you make it in for lunch?

I did, ordered brisket, pork ribs, and a beef rib.  It was all really excellent this time.  Brisket and beef rib were spot on, tender juicy and flavorful with plenty of smoke.  And the pork ribs had more and larger  black pepper than I'm used to down at North Lamar, which I really liked. 

I drove by, but the line seemed a little long.  I'll give it a try sometime this weekend, though.

Went to City Market in Luling on Tuesday on the way back from SA to Houston. It wasn’t Smitty’s bad but not far away. Brisket was bland and half of it was cut with the grain (no pink polo), sausage was mushy and seemed to be undercooked. Pork ribs were decent taste wise but cut really badly. Maybe Stevie Wonder is cutting their meat. My last trip to Rudy’s was way better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Went to City Market in Luling on Tuesday on the way back from SA to Houston. It wasn’t Smitty’s bad but not far away. Brisket was bland and half of it was cut with the grain (no pink polo), sausage was mushy and seemed to be undercooked. Pork ribs were decent taste wise but cut really badly. Maybe Stevie Wonder is cutting their meat. My last trip to Rudy’s was way better.

there's one reason to stop there, the sausage 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m going Wednesday, let us know how it is.

I saw that. Really wanted to try it but I had Tejas on Wednesday at one of their pop ups. Was fantastic as usual.

I'm a NM chile junkie (wife's family is from there) so I would have liked a bit more of the flavor, but still really good. Also ordered my regular lean/moist brisket, chile relleno sausage, and turkey for the kids. Tried the burnt ends too. Everything was awesome as usual and no wait since we pre-ordered.

• Like 2

Yup, I do Liberty in RR, Brotherton's in Derkaville, and Interstellar on 620, regularly.

Adding Stiles Switch into the mix is very good.  I was really impressed with it, it tasted as good or better than the very best I've had from their Lamar location.  I hope they can do it consistently.

Ate at the new stiles switch today in cedar park

Man I’ve just never taken a liking to their food. For me it’s always off in some weird way, but almost always insanely greasy. Ribs today were greasy and LOADED with black pepper, which was all you could taste. Beef was greasy and flavorless.

I tried. I think I’m done with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ate at the new stiles switch today in cedar park

Man I’ve just never taken a liking to their food. For me it’s always off in some weird way, but almost always insanely greasy. Ribs today were greasy and LOADED with black pepper, which was all you could taste. Beef was greasy and flavorless.

I tried. I think I’m done with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No shame in that. You gave it a shot or three. Honestly, I am one more visit away from writing off Pinkerton’s, which makes me sad. I am putting the visit off because I really don’t want to black list them.

46 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

No shame in that. You gave it a shot or three. Honestly, I am one more visit away from writing off Pinkerton’s, which makes me sad. I am putting the visit off because I really don’t want to black list them.

Hate to say it but I’m not too far behind you. I do love eating here while watching a UT game but I’m always a little disappointed with the brisket. Truth in brenham (haven’t been to the one in town yet) is probably the best bbq I’ve had in the past year, and I really want to make it over to Tomball to get a Tejas 

• Like 1

Hate to say it but I’m not too far behind you. I do love eating here while watching a UT game but I’m always a little disappointed with the brisket. Truth in brenham (haven’t been to the one in town yet) is probably the best bbq I’ve had in the past year, and I really want to make it over to Tomball to get a Tejas 

Truth in Houston is amazing and extremely consist. Tejas is in my top 5 and has the edge of Truth by a smidge.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Consistency has always been the problem of Stiles Switch. I’ve had amazing food there and horrible food there. 

The amazing food I had tended to be early in the run at the North Lamar location, it's just gotten worse ever since. 

Not trying to be funny or cute, but I have had better brisket catered in to the office from Poke-e-Jo's.

Stiles Switch is just lacking something. 

Edited by Deej

If you are headed down to Corpus, stop in Mathis at Butters. They were in Texas Monthly as a prospective new joint several years back, but they are by far better than the top 50 Smoliks that’s a couple blocks away.  Only complaint is their sides are pretty weak. 
If you miss the exit to Mathis, Julian’s is probably your best bet for BBQ in Corpus.  Salty Oak is good, but have moved 2-3 times and not sure when/if they are back open. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Deej said:

The amazing food I had tended to be early in the run at the North Lamar location, it's just gotten worse ever since. 

Not trying to be funny or cute, but I have had better brisket catered in to the office from Poke-e-Jo's.

Stiles Switch is just lacking something. 

It's also horrifically expensive.

1 hour ago, EZ$ said:

Only complaint is their sides are pretty weak. 

Okay Karen. (jk - I'm a sides whore myself)

7 minutes ago, Paco said:

Any place worth a stop between Austin and Brock?

Hard 8 in Stephenville maybe?