Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 8/29/2020 at 3:24 PM, Errestaurants said:

Went by Hutchins in Frisco. Pretty damn good

20200829_152214.jpg

20200829_152204.jpg

Hutchins in Frisco and McKinney is one of the best large restaurant BBQ in the state of Texas!  It is hard to be open 7 days a week and serve buffet style BBQ (before Covid-19 had $25 "All You Can Eat" BBQ which was an incredible deal) and still be this damn good! Their jalepeno and cheddar sausage is incredible!  Hutchins is probably #3 in DFW behind Cattleack and very close to Pecan Lodge. But working off a 10.0 scale where less than a hadnful of places are 9.7 or higher, I would rate Hitchins in the 8.8-8.9 range. To put this into perspective, I would put LA BBQ in the 9.6-9.7 range, Valentina's in the 9.3-9.4 range (and 9.8+ when including tacos and ranking for overall Texas Best Food places), Louis Mueller in the 9.4-9.5 range, Micklethwait in the 8.1-8.2 range. As it relates to other large, mass BBQ establishments, I would score Rudy's in the 6.4-6.5,  Hard Eight at 6.8-6.9, Spring Creek at 4.4-4.5, and Dickey's at 1.1-1.2. 

1 hour ago, UT Lax said:

Hutchins in Frisco and McKinney is one of the best large restaurant BBQ in the state of Texas!  It is hard to be open 7 days a week and serve buffet style BBQ (before Covid-19 had $25 "All You Can Eat" BBQ which was an incredible deal) and still be this damn good! Their jalepeno and cheddar sausage is incredible!  Hutchins is probably #3 in DFW behind Cattleack and very close to Pecan Lodge. But working off a 10.0 scale where less than a hadnful of places are 9.7 or higher, I would rate Hitchins in the 8.8-8.9 range. To put this into perspective, I would put LA BBQ in the 9.6-9.7 range, Valentina's in the 9.3-9.4 range (and 9.8+ when including tacos and ranking for overall Texas Best Food places), Louis Mueller in the 9.4-9.5 range, Micklethwait in the 8.1-8.2 range. As it relates to other large, mass BBQ establishments, I would score Rudy's in the 6.4-6.5,  Hard Eight at 6.8-6.9, Spring Creek at 4.4-4.5, and Dickey's at 1.1-1.2. 

Those are very specific ratings.  Are you a figure skating judge?

• Hook 'Em 1

The episode of Chef’s Table on Snow’s is a great hour of TV. It’s really a biopic of Tootsie rather than a discussion of bbq...which actually makes it great. There is not a lot left to say about bbq as a food or even Snow’s in particular...but this episode is more than that. And this series is always shot and produced with such quality and even reverence. 10/10 would recommend

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Finally made it to 2M Smokehouse last week. They aren't open for dine in but have two lines outside, one for text/email ahead orders and one for drive thru orders. Their process for text ahead order process is seamless and the line went almost as fast as chick-fil-a. Brisket, pork ribs, and Oaxaca cheese and serrano pork sausage were all outstanding, as were the street corn and cole slaw sides. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Mack Tripper said:

Finally made it to 2M Smokehouse last week. They aren't open for dine in but have two lines outside, one for text/email ahead orders and one for drive thru orders. Their process for text ahead order process is seamless and the line went almost as fast as chick-fil-a. Brisket, pork ribs, and Oaxaca cheese and serrano pork sausage were all outstanding, as were the street corn and cole slaw sides. 

Right up there with the top Austin joints the times we’ve gone. 

On 9/3/2020 at 8:06 PM, Neonmoon said:

Snows is 1st episode of Chefs Table BBQ

the second episode is the most pretentious hipster douchebag I’ve ever seen cook a steak. 

I think that dude might be on the spectrum or something.

Tootise episode was awesome.  I need to get up there at some point.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:06 PM, Neonmoon said:

Snows is 1st episode of Chefs Table BBQ

the second episode is the most pretentious hipster douchebag I’ve ever seen cook a steak. 

That pretentious hipster douchebag is one of the world's finest chefs. His arrival at Etxebarri is the beginning of that restaurant's ascent to become the best in the world. Bourdain rated his meal there as one of the finest in his life, full stop. David Chang loved his steak at Firedoor.

You can admire the brilliance of Tootsie and Snow's and also Lennox Hastie and his approach to fire based modern cuisine.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

Am I the only that had a laugh at the food descriptions.    Normally on Chefs table at the end where they are showing all the food with dramatic music.  It's  2 yr lobster ravioli hand formed on teak wood with a siberian mushroom brandy sauce... For BBQ it was....TURKEY.....BRISKET.....SAUSAGE..whilst the dramatic music played. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/30/2020 at 9:33 AM, tx 3 putt said:

Glad to hear that la bbq is still top quality 

i mean, is it good? sure. i haven't ever had anything amazing there but it's good

100/100 times I will go to Franklin/L&L/Valentina's over them

They just aren't worth the wait. Go elsewhere, especially Leroy & Lewis if you haven't been there (or the pro move is to go to Valentina's for a Real Deal Holyfield at Breakfast then have lunch at Leroy & Lewis)

On 9/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Willfully Horn said:

I’d like to know what Tootsie was mopping on her meats. Must have missed it.
Butter-vinegar? Anyone care to educate me?

I’ve never made the trip to Lexington. More fun to tend my own fire.

From BBQ Snob at TMBBQ's Pork Steak post: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/tootsie-tomanetzs-pork-steak/

Tootsie’s Mop Sauce

• 1 gallon water
  • 2 medium white onions, peeled and quartered
  • 1 stick butter
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1/2 cup Worcestershire
  • 2 tablespoons dry mustard

Boil water and add quartered onions. Continue to boil for at least ten minutes. Add butter and stir until melted. Take water off heat and add all other ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Keep on stovetop at a low simmer or move it to the pit to keep it warm.

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP.

John Mueller has a new gig in Jarrell. What happened to his place in Georgetown? At this rate, he'll have a bbq place in Oklahoma in 3 years.

austin360: John Mueller has a new barbecue operation opening in Central Texas.
https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200908/john-mueller-has-new-barbecue-operation-opening-in-central-texas

Pitmaster John Mueller has partnered with two couples, Scott and Misty Murrah and Lynn and Cari Springfield, to develop The Granary, Featuring a John Mueller Joint, a barbecue, food truck and bar compound in Jarrell. The partners are developing two acres of land near I-35 exit 275 in the town about 45 miles north of downtown Austin. The property will include a forthcoming centerpiece silo, a bar, four food trucks and an indoor barbecue operation from the grandson of Louie Mueller.

SIAP.
John Mueller has a new gig in Jarrell. What happened to his place in Georgetown? At this rate, he'll have a bbq place in Oklahoma in 3 years.
https://www.austin360.com/entertainment/20200908/john-mueller-has-new-barbecue-operation-opening-in-central-texas
Pitmaster John Mueller has partnered with two couples, Scott and Misty Murrah and Lynn and Cari Springfield, to develop The Granary, Featuring a John Mueller Joint, a barbecue, food truck and bar compound in Jarrell. The partners are developing two acres of land near I-35 exit 275 in the town about 45 miles north of downtown Austin. The property will include a forthcoming centerpiece silo, a bar, four food trucks and an indoor barbecue operation from the grandson of Louie Mueller.
You're a bit behind. He went from Georgetown to Pflugerville for a short period, then disappeared for a while. Then opened up in Granger for 7-8 months. Now Jarrell for an unspecified time, likely not to exceed one year.

On 9/8/2020 at 6:58 PM, Jerry Callo said:
On 9/8/2020 at 4:55 PM, crash_davis said:
SIAP.

Read more  

You're a bit behind. He went from Georgetown to Pflugerville for a short period, then disappeared for a while. Then opened up in Granger for 7-8 months. Now Jarrell for an unspecified time, likely not to exceed one year.

He should open a place where he just yells at people in line about how he's a better pitmaster than his dad and then sell them warmed over Dickey's.

• Like 1

On 9/6/2020 at 12:07 PM, Llewelyn Moss said:

The episode of Chef’s Table on Snow’s is a great hour of TV. It’s really a biopic of Tootsie rather than a discussion of bbq...which actually makes it great. There is not a lot left to say about bbq as a food or even Snow’s in particular...but this episode is more than that. And this series is always shot and produced with such quality and even reverence. 10/10 would recommend

Yeah....no shame.....I outright cried watching it.  It was fucking beautiful.  The whole series (Chef's Table) has a good bit of that going on, but this one was....wow.  Food, and feeding people, is so personal.  It's holy, it's sacred.  And you got to see that some of the greatest evangelists in the entire world are old women with a shovel full of coals, time, and love.  She said two things that absolutely broke me. 

When she was describing how she got through the death of her husband and son, with the people she worked with and her loving customers: “They’re holding me up, they’re walking with me.”

Then, at the end, describing the people who come to taste her magic, and see her, from Texas and all over the world: “It means a lot that we can share our love and friendship. And some of em, I’ll never see again. But I’m happy...that I made them happy.”  That's some fucking Gospel, right there.

America's treasures aren't in a vault, they aren't in the Smithsonian.  Some of our greatest treasures get up at 1:00 a.m. to shovel coals and tend to the barbecue, to give and get happiness.  It's just fucking awesome to see.  Seriously, I told my daughter to play it for all of her foreign friends up in college -- if they want to see what Texas BBQ is all about, understanding that a lot of it is about the people and experience. that episode will help them understand.

I haven't been to Snow's in quite a while.  Guess it'll be a good bit longer, too.  But I need to get back there.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

On 9/10/2020 at 10:52 AM, Brisketexan said:

Yeah....no shame.....I outright cried watching it.  It was fucking beautiful.  The whole series (Chef's Table) has a good bit of that going on, but this one was....wow.  Food, and feeding people, is so personal.  It's holy, it's sacred.  And you got to see that some of the greatest evangelists in the entire world are old women with a shovel full of coals, time, and love.  She said two things that absolutely broke me. 

When she was describing how she got through the death of her husband and son, with the people she worked with and her loving customers: “They’re holding me up, they’re walking with me.”

Then, at the end, describing the people who come to taste her magic, and see her, from Texas and all over the world: “It means a lot that we can share our love and friendship. And some of em, I’ll never see again. But I’m happy...that I made them happy.”  That's some fucking Gospel, right there.

America's treasures aren't in a vault, they aren't in the Smithsonian.  Some of our greatest treasures get up at 1:00 a.m. to shovel coals and tend to the barbecue, to give and get happiness.  It's just fucking awesome to see.  Seriously, I told my daughter to play it for all of her foreign friends up in college -- if they want to see what Texas BBQ is all about, understanding that a lot of it is about the people and experience. that episode will help them understand.

I haven't been to Snow's in quite a while.  Guess it'll be a good bit longer, too.  But I need to get back there.

Thanks for articulating so well why I cried, too. Full on tears, my man. You and I used words like “reverence” and “holy” and “sacred”. That show was about love...her son, her husband, others for her. So, so good. 

I’m so glad that episode was first. Because that second episode about the Aussie dude was about as far from Tootsie as could possibly be. If she is down to earth, he may as well be on Mars. It’s not my style to hate on folks, so I won’t.

But while I’d love to try 200-day aged steak painted in fat, what I can’t stomach (pun intended) is the thought of that guy in the same realm as Tootsie or Rodney Scott. He grilled some romaine and acted like he was freaking Prometheus. I need to eat some ribs to cleanse myself of seeing that episode.

On 9/8/2020 at 9:55 AM, Bateshorn said:

That pretentious hipster douchebag is one of the world's finest chefs. His arrival at Etxebarri is the beginning of that restaurant's ascent to become the best in the world. Bourdain rated his meal there as one of the finest in his life, full stop. David Chang loved his steak at Firedoor.

You can admire the brilliance of Tootsie and Snow's and also Lennox Hastie and his approach to fire based modern cuisine.

I hear you man, I’d appreciate his food no doubt. I’d even try smoked caviar. But the way he waxed about fire like he’s the first dude in the Southern Hemisphere to man a grill...I just wasn’t interested. (if it takes you 4 years and 120 locations to find a space for your restaurant, maybe that should prompt a look in the mirror? Of course, the restaurant won all kinds of awards when it did open, so what do I know)

The food shots/production/cinematography were still gorgeous as usual , though. 

19 minutes ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

I hear you man, I’d appreciate his food no doubt. I’d even try smoked caviar. But the way he waxed about fire like he’s the first dude in the Southern Hemisphere to man a grill...I just wasn’t interested. (if it takes you 4 years and 120 locations to find a space for your restaurant, maybe that should prompt a look in the mirror? Of course, the restaurant won all kinds of awards when it did open, so what do I know)

The food shots/production/cinematography were still gorgeous as usual , though. 

I agree with another poster: I do think he’s on the spectrum.  His investors certainly believe in him.  Oddly enough I found everything but the steak to be the most appealing things he cooked.  The steak just kinda left me meh.  His fish and veggies tho looked off the chart. And that crab he cooked on the beach with his mate looked insane. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I agree with another poster: I do think he’s on the spectrum.  His investors certainly believe in him.  Oddly enough I found everything but the steak to be the most appealing things he cooked.  The steak just kinda left me meh.  His fish and veggies tho looked off the chart. And that crab he cooked on the beach with his mate looked insane. 

Oh yeah, his bonafides are inarguable. 

I don’t know enough about the spectrum to speculate, but that would explain some things. 

The crab dish did look amazing—as did many of the other dishes like those you mention. Maybe if you have all that success and accolades you can’t talk about your grill like a regular human being? Anyway, I’ve got the Rodney Scott episode up next. Pumped for sure. 

15 hours ago, Llewelyn Moss said:

Thanks for articulating so well why I cried, too. Full on tears, my man. You and I used words like “reverence” and “holy” and “sacred”. That show was about love...her son, her husband, others for her. So, so good. 

I’m so glad that episode was first. Because that second episode about the Aussie dude was about as far from Tootsie as could possibly be. If she is down to earth, he may as well be on Mars. It’s not my style to hate on folks, so I won’t.

But while I’d love to try 200-day aged steak painted in fat, what I can’t stomach (pun intended) is the thought of that guy in the same realm as Tootsie or Rodney Scott. He grilled some romaine and acted like he was freaking Prometheus. I need to eat some ribs to cleanse myself of seeing that episode.

The problem is they probably should not have put him in the BBQ series. He should have been in the regular series. What he’s doing is pretty amazing when you think about it and on another level from most anyone else out there. It’s just not BBQ in the sense of what people at least on here think of as BBQ. From a pure restaurant standpoint, his would be the place I ate at if they were all side by side.

Ordering Snow’s just to keep it on topic. Going to get a brisket and maybe a turkey breast.

• Hook 'Em 1

My GF is an oncology nurse in Austin and gave Hershel a lot of his targeted therapy after his cancer diagnosis. She got to know Miss Tootsie and Kerry too because they both drove Hershel into Austin for his treatments, but she didn’t find out that they owned a BBQ restaurant until she had been treating him for a few weeks. She came home one day and asked me if I’d ever heard of Snow’s lol. Miss Tootsie and Kerry invited her and another nurse to come out for BBQ, so I got to join them.

We got there pretty early, but there was already a line. Kerry saw us when we got there and brought us to a table close to the pits. Hershel was there in his wheelchair. They gave us the royal treatment. Brought us all the food we could eat, gave us the full tour of the pits, let me ask all the questions I had about how they cooked their brisket and sent us home with even more meat.

Getting to meet Miss Tootsie and watching up close how she interacted with everyone was the highlight for me. Just an incredibly strong woman with a huge heart and a ton of love for everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 5