Texas BBQ

Washpark

So I’m off this week and want to hit up a non-Austin BBQ place with my old man. The tl;dr version is that he has stage 4 prostate cancer and I don’t know how much longer I’ll have with him. I thought it would make for a fun day to road trip to a great BBQ spot for lunch.

I moved out of Texas in 2016 and only recently moved back, so I am not as in tune with the current state of BBQ spots outside of Austin. The options I have considered are Black’s, Cooper’s, and Luling City Market, but that’s all based on my BBQ knowledge before leaving for a minute.

So, my question to all of you is simple. Where would you recommend we go that is 3 hours or less from Austin?

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

So I’m off this week and want to hit up a non-Austin BBQ place with my old man. The tl;dr version is that he has stage 4 prostate cancer and I don’t know how much longer I’ll have with him. I thought it would make for a fun day to road trip to a great BBQ spot for lunch.

I moved out of Texas in 2016 and only recently moved back, so I am not as in tune with the current state of BBQ spots outside of Austin. The options I have considered are Black’s, Cooper’s, and Luling City Market, but that’s all based on my BBQ knowledge before leaving for a minute.

So, my question to all of you is simple. Where would you recommend we go that is 3 hours or less from Austin?

Louis Mueller - Taylor, Tx 

• Hook 'Em 1

Louis Mueller’s
2M in San Antonio
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Louis Mueller’s
2M in San Antonio

Truth in Brenham is also a great option, if the weather is nice.  

We were in Brenham yesterday for a soccer game.  Arrived at Truth at 11:50 to a 30 minute line.  One pound each of brisket, sausage, and pork ribs; half-pound turkey; mac & cheese; corn pudding (more like dressing); collard greens; and large slice of Italian cream cake.  Everything was great. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

2M, Truth or Louis Mueller would be good choices. I know 2M and Truth (in Houston at least, not sure about Brenham) are only doing to-go orders. Might want to see what LM is doing these days. I'm sure you could find somewhere decent to eat bbq outside in Brenham. Close to 2M not as much. 

Don't do City Market. I went recently and it was really bad. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Mack Tripper said:

2M, Truth or Louis Mueller would be good choices. I know 2M and Truth (in Houston at least, not sure about Brenham) are only doing to-go orders. Might want to see what LM is doing these days. I'm sure you could find somewhere decent to eat bbq outside in Brenham. Close to 2M not as much. 

Truth in Brenham has outside seating on picnic tables - some in the shade, some not.

Truth in Houston has opened for dine in (probably a month ago).

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

I think Truth in Brenham is only open on the weekend.  If you are going during the week, I'd pick Louis Mueller - if you go to LM, don't pass up the beef rib.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Truth in Brenham is also a great option, if the weather is nice.  

We were in Brenham yesterday for a soccer game.  Arrived at Truth at 11:50 to a 30 minute line.  One pound each of brisket, sausage, and pork ribs; half-pound turkey; mac & cheese; corn pudding (more like dressing); collard greens; and large slice of Italian cream cake.  Everything was great. 

You missed one of the best things, their tator tot casserole is amazing.

Had Burns Original BBQ for the first time yesterday...likely won’t have it again. Brisket was tough and flavorless, homemade link and pork ribs average, boudin underwhelming... I loved watching the Bourdain visit to the place but it won’t be part of my H-Town bbq rotation.

I felt the same way. Just further solidified my preference for central Texas bbq over all others. East Texas style bbq rarely moves the needle for me.