Texas BBQ

Washpark

We went to PL in November on a Saturday and the wait was outside and around the corner.  I learned that if there is a spot at the bar, you can sit down and order your food along with your beer.

Saw something similar at Heim - we were first in that line so it didn't matter.

Edited by Jerry Callo

2M is absolutely legit. Esaul is doing tremendous work over there, and its a great representation of new age barbeque. Now that classically trained chef's have embraced the culture, we're seeing some fantastic adaptations of traditional barbeque in more "haute" dishes. I love it.

On 3/26/2018 at 3:29 PM, Biscuits And Groovy said:

They’re only open Thursday-Sunday. Open at 11. I’d try to get there before noon on the weekends because even though San Antonio isn’t a wait in line sort of town 2M gets a line going. When the sell out of something it’s gone until they have more, and I’ve seen them sell out of brisket somewhat early. Their sauce is a sweet molasses base without any heat or tomato flavor, so it’s unique but you don’t need a lot of it. Good BBQ is good without sauce anyways, but I’ve seen people thrown off by 2M’s sauce. And if you want bread you gotta pay for their tortillas, but they’re worth it because they’re fresh made and dope as hell. 

I just looked them up and damn, they are clear on the other side of town from where I'll be. Is there any worthy Q in the Leon Springs area?

If any of you answer Bill Miller or Dickey's, I will cut you.

11 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Went by Lockhart Smokehouse today.  Was pretty disappointed.  

Been hearing that more and more?  The one in Frisco, where the old Randy White's used to be, is 'ok'.....but we've only been there a handful of times compared to H8 & PL that we've been to dozens of times each.

*tip for PL:  if you have a group, skip the line (which winds to the left along the wall) and to the open window to the right of the register (and left of the bar) and get the family platter (The "Trough").  $75.  No substitutions other than sides.  You get a bunch of everything including a big-ass beef rib.  Just walk up, order, they'll call your name in minutes.  Gives you time to stake out a table.  

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Been hearing that more and more?  The one in Frisco, where the old Randy White's used to be, is 'ok'.....but we've only been there a handful of times compared to H8 & PL that we've been to dozens of times each.

*tip for PL:  if you have a group, skip the line (which winds to the left along the wall) and to the open window to the right of the register (and left of the bar) and get the family platter (The "Trough").  $75.  No substitutions other than sides.  You get a bunch of everything including a big-ass beef rib.  Just walk up, order, they'll call your name in minutes.  Gives you time to stake out a table.  

Second tip: if you go to the bar, you can be served and skip the line as well! (The Trough is a better rec though, go with a group and enjoy)

On 3/27/2018 at 6:07 AM, Spankytoes said:

I’ve never been to the brick and mortar, but we’ve ordered Snow’s 3X for mail order to NY. It’s been perfect each time. 

I would say its worth a pilgrimage if you love it after being shipped across the country....gotta see tootsie before she is gone 

• Like 1

On 3/27/2018 at 10:04 AM, NoName said:

I mean, I get the love for PL but saying it is "by far the best in Dallas" (assuming you mean the Metroplex in general) just isn't the case. I strongly believe that Cattle Ack is better than PL, as do many folks who have eaten a ton more BBQ than I have, but to say it is "by far the best" is flat out wrong

11a8a6c7d318e0e95f5f3e0a381cdb74.jpg

Don't know if it goes in this thread but I was lucky enough to spend three days with some of the legends of BBQ at the NBBQA convention. Names like Mike Mills, Dave Raymond, Chris Lilly, Mark Lambert and Brad Orrison. Kent Black taught a brisket class. Mark Lambert and Malcom Reed taught a rib class. There was a whole hog class and even a whole lamb demonstration, Best of all the meals were catered by the pittmasters themselves. I was in true BBQ heaven,
Now that is a BBQ experience.
  • Like 1

We went to LA BBQ today. Outstanding. The brisket was top notch. Probably the best I've ever had. We also got sausage... Chipotle and regular. Both were good but nothing remarkable. Also two lbs of pork ribs. They were excellent, very tender. I would have preferred them dry but I'm not complaining. 

Pre order is definitely the way to go. The line was out the door and around the corner of the block. We went to the back window and by the time we got beers the order was up. 

I don't understand the beef rib I saw at all. Thing had to be a foot long. Unfortunately they were not available for pre order. 

Hopefully we will hit another joint tomorrow. 

On 3/28/2018 at 8:28 AM, BabaYaga said:

Am I doing it wrong in NOT ordering a Big Red with my BBQ?   Always gone with beer or iced tea.  

Big Red is a polarizing beverage. For me, there's something extraordinary about washing down a mouthful of salty, smoky, savory brisket with that sweet bubblegum kick of Big Red. No other drink provides the same effect.

Beer is great. Iced tea is always good. But Big Red is just the best.

Plus, it's distinctly Texan like great Hill Country 'Cue.

Four more weeks ...

• Like 1

Big Red is a polarizing beverage. For me, there's something extraordinary about washing down a mouthful of salty, smoky, savory brisket with that sweet bubblegum kick of Big Red. No other drink provides the same effect.
Four more weeks ...

Sums it up nicely. My mom is from San Antonio and that is the first city my pops immigrated to, and that’s who I got it from. But it’s not just me, it’s been a thing for a long time. Not a coincidence that it was in the picture on the cover of the TM bbq issue.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Sums it up nicely. My mom is from San Antonio and that is the first city my pops immigrated to, and that’s who I got it from. But it’s not just me, it’s been a thing for a long time. Not a coincidence that it was in the picture on the cover of the TM bbq issue.

you gotta be shitting me.  all this time I thought the texas monthly editors put the big red on the cover because they knew you or something. 

Four more weeks ...
Sounds disgusting to me, but I gave up sodas of all kinds more than a decade ago..

For me it's either beer or half n half iced tea. BBQ joint sweet "tea" typically tends to be sugar water with a little carmel coloring thrown in. Just imo..

On 3/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, Mac8111 said:

How is Mt Zion in Huntsville these days?   Back when I lived there, it was the greatest hangover cure ever.  And family style at that.  But that was a long time ago....

Almost inedible last time I was there...which was probably 7 years ago.

decided to do some reconnaissance while in rockport recently. mac's pit barbecue was the destination. if you're in the rockport area, i'd say it's a good option. yeah, i don't see it winning any non-local magazine awards, but i enjoyed my visit.

brisket had good flavor and above average texture. the mac and pudding was surprising good for something that seems basic; i don't understand how some places fuck these up. sauce was basically tabasco and pepper--pass.

le86eJ5.jpg

xzCehaR.jpg

...and no visit to rockport would be complete without visiting the blue shed

Ojx2vTS.jpg

• Like 4

Stopped at a little place in Troy today, The Lumberyard at the Troy General Store, just off I-35 on main. Nice small town atmosphere. Weird hours, only day to night hours on Saturday, closed Monday and Tuesday, closed early afternoon the other days.

Got some brisket and sausage. The only other meat they offered was pulled pork. The brisket was very tender and juicy, but it had a bit of an off taste in the back of it, like a hint of lighter fluid or something. Didn't have that sweet oak smoke taste that is signature to Texas barbecue, maybe pecan wood. The only smoker they had on premises was a small family size electric, which I assume was just a warmer for sausage and stuff. The sausage was very good, similar to Clem Mikeska's, old school finer cut German style, but had a bit of the same slight weirdness on the edge of it.

Slaw was very good, maybe a little too much dressing, and the green beans were decent, better than typical out-of-the-can.

If these folks had a real pitmaster they could kill it here. It's already better than anything in Temple just a few miles away. Despite the flaws in whatever is going on in their smoking process it was fairly pleasant, but really needed a sweet tasting drink or mint afterwards. The place has potential. One of you aspiring pitmasters should move in and take it over.

lumberyard.jpg

• Like 3

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:05 AM, BabaYaga said:

The old Randy White's in Frisco is now Hutchins, which certainly shouldn't ever get confused with Lockhart.  They may have done good in the Arts District but the one in Plano isn't very good. 

Stiles Switch today. I am not disappoint. All boys trip - my buddy, my 8 year old and I - we got there right at opening at 11, and there were a couple of people actually waiting at the door. I'd say we were 3rd in line or so. We ordered 2 beef ribs (beef rib plates actually - they were cheaper than just getting the ribs alone and came with 2 sides each), 2 lbs pork ribs and 3 spicy links. 

Beef ribs were outstanding but still nowhere near the size of the mutant rib I saw at la BBQ. These were more in line with what I can make at home in terms of size. But excellent. Pork ribs were almost as good as I remembered. There is definitely some kind of glaze on them that I love. I think the rub it just s&p. They have great bite to them. Much firmer than the ones we had at la. 

I had the sausage catered last time and it was not very good. Today it was good to great, though. I could have eaten that stuff all day. Oh and I have to say that even though they were throw ins....we all were kind of obsessed with the fries. They were really good. 

The 3 of us killed that entire helping outside of 2 pork ribs and saved enough room for Saccones for dinner. Drool worthy on its own, but that's for a different thread. 

40249377135_eba2888d4d_c.jpg

40249374275_924ec9eb66_c.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Stiles Switch today. I am not disappoint. All boys trip - my buddy, my 8 year old and I - we got there right at opening at 11, and there were a couple of people actually waiting at the door. I'd say we were 3rd in line or so. We ordered 2 beef ribs (beef rib plates actually - they were cheaper than just getting the ribs alone and came with 2 sides each), 2 lbs pork ribs and 3 spicy links. 

Beef ribs were outstanding but still nowhere near the size of the mutant rib I saw at la BBQ. These were more in line with what I can make at home in terms of size. But excellent. Pork ribs were almost as good as I remembered. There is definitely some kind of glaze on them that I love. I think the rub it just s&p. They have great bite to them. Much firmer than the ones we had at la. 

I had the sausage catered last time and it was not very good. Today it was good to great, though. I could have eaten that stuff all day. Oh and I have to say that even though they were throw ins....we all were kind of obsessed with the fries. They were really good. 

The 3 of us killed that entire helping outside of 2 pork ribs and saved enough room for Saccones for dinner. Drool worthy on its own, but that's for a different thread. 

40249377135_eba2888d4d_c.jpg

40249374275_924ec9eb66_c.jpg

That looks like Heaven.

On 3/31/2018 at 11:34 PM, Both Tacos said:

The old Randy White's in Frisco is now Hutchins, which certainly shouldn't ever get confused with Lockhart.  They may have done good in the Arts District but the one in Plano isn't very good. 

Correct - my mistake.  

Very salty, about 1/2 way to inedible.

Fork is on the bone for size comparison.

When I picked the contraption up by the bone, a huge part of the meat slid off & did a Louganis / Flying Wallenda backflip, landing across the pickles & around 4" of meat was hanging off the tray, onto the table & partially on my phone.

Interior parts were good but fairly greasy & the bark was the salty portions.7f52711a85a8bc2086d6e3698a481017.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk