Texas BBQ

Washpark

Finally tried the Tejas chocolate joint in Tomball. Went with lean brisket sliced, Chile relleno sausage, cornbread casserole and carrot soufflé. Brisket was great, sausage and soufflé were exceptional and the cornbread was meh.
Will probably go with ribs and sausage next time.

Why did you go lean? I know some folks prefer it and claim If done right, it’s just as tender and moist as fatty brisket, but in my experience that is rarely the case. I get fatty brisket 99% of the time. And at a place like Tejas or Truth, you will absolutely get a great slice. If you put a gun to my head, I would say truth just barely edges out Tejas in regard to brisket. However, Tejas’ sausage is the best.
  • Hook 'Em 3

You a crazy mofo.  Now I know why you live behind a gate. 
I've had way more shitty sausage than I've had shitty lean brisket. I like each for their own reasons.

I'm sure you've noticed the nicer houses in my neighborhood are outside the gates. The gates are there to keep us away from them.
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Why did you go lean? I know some folks prefer it and claim If done right, it’s just as tender and moist as fatty brisket, but in my experience that is rarely the case. I get fatty brisket 99% of the time. And at a place like Tejas or Truth, you will absolutely get a great slice. If you put a gun to my head, I would say truth just barely edges out Tejas in regard to brisket. However, Tejas’ sausage is the best.

Oh I like both for sure. Went lean because a few other times elsewhere I’ve had just too much fat on their cuts (I think that’s a thing?). 

I doubt that would be an issue at these places but it was still excellent. Good with and without the sauce too. That sausage though was something else.

Oh I like both for sure. Went lean because a few other times elsewhere I’ve had just too much fat on their cuts (I think that’s a thing?). 
I doubt that would be an issue at these places but it was still excellent. Good with and without the sauce too. That sausage though was something else.

I do remember the first time I took my Dad to Pinkerton's and the fatty brisket was on point that day. He said 'wow, it melts in your mouth.' Yeah Dad, that's what it's supposed to be like.

What is funny about that for me is that Pinkertons in my last 3 visits, I should have ordered lean because the fatty was terrible. Truth and Tejas fatty have never, ever done me wrong. And that hurts because I know Grant is a die hard Longhorn.

What is funny about that for me is that Pinkertons in my last 3 visits, I should have ordered lean because the fatty was terrible. Truth and Tejas fatty have never, ever done me wrong. And that hurts because I know Grant is a die hard Longhorn.
Yeah I've had both excellent and mediocre at Pinkerton's. Tejas has been fantastic every time and I haven't had a chance to try Truth yet.
  • Like 1

Sausage (reg., not jap) @ Snow's was the best I've ever had.  Super course, had the right fat mix, not too greasy (I'm looking @ you, Smitty's... a tubular sponge)... casing was awesome.  Apparently that's made locally in Lexington to his specs, however he's not 100% on the recipe as his local spot tends to switch things up a hair from time to time but it's always within their preferences.  All the sausage smoking (cooking) is done on their pits, nothing comes to them fully cooked.

Brisket was a 1-1-1 tie with Mueller & Franklin.

They were out of ribs & pork chops by the time we got up there.

Did have a decent conversation with Kerry.

Will go again, don't know when.  Chatted with a 4some that had been there since 0600 & they were approx. 45 min. from the door when we spoke.  Kerry said he's had people come out overnight, lounging in reclining lawn / patio chairs from around 1030 Friday night.

Pics are stuffed somewhere in my phone, will try to post those via TapaTalk in a bit.

2 hours ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Yeah I've had both excellent and mediocre at Pinkerton's. Tejas has been fantastic every time and I haven't had a chance to try Truth yet.

I suggest getting the moist (obviously).  Also, their jalapeño cheese sausage is very good, but the last 3-4 times I have gone, I always get their pepper jack.

I am not the guy to ask about ribs and sides.  I don't fuck with that shit.

Tried out Piper’s BBQ today on Shepherd. Got there at 11:20, one guy in front of me. Place is nice as far as seating and what not. When I went to order, they said they didn’t have any fatty brisket. I found that odd, but did t feel like going somewhere else, so I relented (see above posts). I also got some pork sausage. And by some I mean too much.

The brisket looked dry but actually wasn’t and tasted very good. Not top tier but certainly good. Nice smoke flavor. I also enjoyed the sausage.

https://images2.imgbox.com/65/d0/VdyQbZqD_o.jpeg

361cb50b6e4dccf1eeeab93c661fd6f1.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tried out Piper’s BBQ today on Shepherd. Got there at 11:20, one guy in front of me. Place is nice as far as seating and what not. When I went to order, they said they didn’t have any fatty brisket. I found that odd, but did t feel like going somewhere else, so I relented (see above posts). I also got some pork sausage. And by some I mean too much.

The brisket looked dry but actually wasn’t and tasted very good. Not top tier but certainly good. Nice smoke flavor. I also enjoyed the sausage.

https://images2.imgbox.com/65/d0/VdyQbZqD_o.jpeg

361cb50b6e4dccf1eeeab93c661fd6f1.jpg

No fatty brisket at a Texas BBQ joint?  Are they transplanted New Yorkers?

No fatty brisket at a Texas BBQ joint?  Are they transplanted New Yorkers?

Haha I don’t know. What hot me to go to this place was I saw the guy behind Heights BBQ is the new pit master. I never tried his bbq before, but it looked good, so I dropped in. Honestly, this brisket might have been leftover from the day before but it was good. He mumbled something to me about the fatty brisket but I didn’t catch it. I have a feeling more was on the pit but just wasn’t ready. I’ll probably give them another shot though. Likely won’t be back after that unless I am blown away. Truth is 5 minutes away.

Need some help.....Leaving Horseshoe Bay in the morning and dropping off some relatives in Austin at the airport. Just found out they have been in Texas for a week and not had any BBQ! Where would be a good place to stop around 11am? I’m thinking Terry Blacks might be my best bet?

9 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A touch further south than you likely are going, but Valentina’s is my suggestion.

Love Valentina’s, but just had a mixed experience there. Had preordered for Christmas.  Got a chicken enchilada casserole for Christmas Eve, which was excellent.  Got a brisket and potatoes for Christmas.  Potatoes were supposed to be 32 oz.  Turned out to be 17.5 oz on the food scale at home.  Worse, the brisket, though tasty was dry and even a bit stringy in parts.  Reheated using sous vide (and about 30 minutes on the Traeger at about 200 after taking out if the vacuum pack) so I don’t think the reheating was the issue.

Fortunately, the tortillas were spot on.  Got extra, so still eating on them.  

5 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmm, I’m a big fan of Leroy and Lewis, so that is my other suggestion. I am curious about Moreno’s.

Oh, I’ll still go to Valentina’s as this is the first “off” experience I’ve had.

L & L is a great choice as well.

And nothing wrong with Terry Black’s.  Especially the beef ribs.  

10 hours ago, milkman said:

Need some help.....Leaving Horseshoe Bay in the morning and dropping off some relatives in Austin at the airport. Just found out they have been in Texas for a week and not had any BBQ! Where would be a good place to stop around 11am? I’m thinking Terry Blacks might be my best bet?

Opie’s is on the way.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmm, I’m a big fan of Leroy and Lewis, so that is my other suggestion. I am curious about Moreno’s.

the more i think about it, the more i think L&L is going to be my standing rec in Austin. pretty easy to get to, great experience, other options there if people are with a group that doesn't want specifically BBQ, etc

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

X posting from the Dallas BBQ thread.  Had Terry Black's delivered for the game last night.  It pretty much started with several disadvantages (delivery is never as good, later in the evening is never as good, Favor driver left it on the wrong porch so it sat out there for I don't know how long), but it was still really effing good.  Should be in the conversation with Cattleack for number 1 in Dallas in my opinion.

SoRNNR.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

Texas Smoke in Harlingen puts together a nice tray. So awesome to have legit bbq in the RGV. Brisket was excellent. Ribs had good flavor but were on the pit just a bit long, I like some chew to ribs. Sausage was very good. Befitting a valley place, the charro beans are peppery and superb. My buddy had the Mac and cheese.

My only other improvement- an RGV joint should serve with fresh flour tortillas instead of wonder bread. Overall, leaps and bounds beyond what the 956 offered when I was a kid here.

e610d0c50e468ece196f51d5176cfa65.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Deadshank, eat my ass maybe you can taste the beef cheeks. 

said it before and I’ll say it again, they are fucking amazing. Anyone in Austin that hasn’t tried them and says they like bbq is totally full of shit. 

spacer.png

Well, good morning to you, as well.  

Beef cheeks look good.   

• Like 1