Texas BBQ

Washpark

I love them both, no need for either/or.  The beef cheeks are so rich I can only eat them in small quantities, but they're delicious.   I can eat a lot more brisket in one sitting.

My no was about overrating them. I never said they were better or worse than brisket.

Futureman loves mayonnaise, nothing he says can be taken seriously.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Glad to hear that about Guess, I felt like their food suffered a little when they moved into their building. I really like their brisket and chipotle sausage.

I knew it was gonna be good when Reid brought it out to me and not one of the minions.  They’ve buckled down and gotten things back on track in a really good way.  I’ve only been a few times recently , but have had buddies give good reports the last few times they’ve been as well.   It helps that Phillip and the folks at Helberg are putting out some dynamite stuff every day.   Can’t be taking midweek days off in the BBQ game when your name is on the marquee.  

Edited by Trey3216

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I knew it was gonna be good when Reid brought it out to me and not one of the minions.  They’ve buckled down and gotten things back on track in a really good way.  I’ve only been a few times recently , but have had buddies give good reports the last few times they’ve been as well.   It helps that Phillip and the folks at Helberg are putting out some dynamite stuff every day.   Can’t be taking midweek days off in the BBQ game when your name is on the marquee.  

Just in case folks are not aware, Helberg is putting out some fucking amazing BBQ.

I have to go to Waco a few times / year and always am excited to go there or to Guess

• Like 1

We road tripped it to Doss,TX yesterday (outside Fredericksburg) and at at Doss General Store/ Los Muerto BBQ. (The guy at Los Muerto in Katy is helping them with their Q).

They’ve only been open a month or so.

Brisket was top notch. They nailed tenderness and plenty of flavor.

Barbacoa was top notch. I love Barbacoa.

The wife liked her pulled pork sandwich ( I didn’t try it )

The ribs were good (not OMG great) my issue was they serve it drowning with sauce on top. Ask for sauce on side of you go.

We started with the Southwest egg rolls. They are huge and full of flavor.

All the sides we had were on point and plenty of TLC went into them.

They have some kinks to workout as far as their service (little slow) and process but overall the food was very good.

• Hook 'Em 1

Oldest niece just started at UT. What are the best joints close to campus? I’ve done Franklin and told her what to expect as far as that goes (long wait, excellent bbq).

There’s a Blacks just down Guadalupe - maybe at 32nd? It’s really damned good, especially when you consider that there’s rarely a long line.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

There’s a Blacks just down Guadalupe - maybe at 32nd? It’s really damned good, especially when you consider that there’s rarely a long line.

I saw that, but in the Both Tacos thread someone said it’s just a commissary, the food is trucked up from Lockhart. The implication was that it’s sub-par. 

How long has the Mueller food trailer been gone? Obviously I haven’t been to Austin in some time. 

I saw that, but in the Both Tacos thread someone said it’s just a commissary, the food is trucked up from Lockhart. The implication was that it’s sub-par. 

How long has the Mueller food trailer been gone? Obviously I haven’t been to Austin in some time. 

I haven’t tried it but yes, that is what it is. And most say it sucks. Just go to Leroy and Lewis or Valentina’s (or a few others).

I think Mueller closed up shop in 2015. Then to Georgetown, then Bartlett (or somewhere thereabouts) now Jarrell.

Don’t get me wrong, when he was on, he was on a bad no one could touch him. But...

I haven’t tried it but yes, that is what it is. And most say it sucks. Just go to Leroy and Lewis or Valentina’s (or a few others).

I think Mueller closed up shop in 2015. Then to Georgetown, then Bartlett (or somewhere thereabouts) now Jarrell.

Don’t get me wrong, when he was on, he was on a bad no one could touch him. But...

Huh. I haven’t heard the bad reviews on the 32nd street Blacks. I was aware that it’s a commissary, but they do it pretty well. It’s not markedly different than what you get at the mothership - I’ve had a few lunch meetings there, and it’s good (and part of its appeal is absolutely the close location without a long wait).

I remember Austin 20 years ago, when that would have easily been the best bbq in town. We’ve gotten spoiled. Which is a good thing.

Huh. I haven’t heard the bad reviews on the 32nd street Blacks. I was aware that it’s a commissary, but they do it pretty well. It’s not markedly different than what you get at the mothership - I’ve had a few lunch meetings there, and it’s good (and part of its appeal is absolutely the close location without a long wait).

I remember Austin 20 years ago, when that would have easily been the best bbq in town. We’ve gotten spoiled. Which is a good thing.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m going purely off hearsay. My preferred Lockhart joint is Blacks. But I think in this thread and the previous iterations, there have been mostly mediocre reviews.

14 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Blacks is a no go on my book. Gave it two chances.

I went one time. the moist brisket was like the low-grade shit they give you at salt lick when you’re on your fifth plate of the family style and they know you’re already full and just trying to get some to take home. 

19 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

We road tripped it to Doss,TX yesterday (outside Fredericksburg) and at at Doss General Store/ Los Muerto BBQ. (The guy at Los Muerto in Katy is helping them with their Q).

They’ve only been open a month or so.

Brisket was top notch. They nailed tenderness and plenty of flavor.

Barbacoa was top notch. I love Barbacoa.

The wife liked her pulled pork sandwich ( I didn’t try it )

The ribs were good (not OMG great) my issue was they serve it drowning with sauce on top. Ask for sauce on side of you go.

We started with the Southwest egg rolls. They are huge and full of flavor.

All the sides we had were on point and plenty of TLC went into them.

They have some kinks to workout as far as their service (little slow) and process but overall the food was very good.

they are new, hope it works out. just curious but what was in Doss that you were going to see haha

Looking forward to hitting them up one day soon!

Yeah I'm the one on that made the negative comment on Both Tacos about the Black's on the Drag.  I tried it twice and don't think it's very good. Cafeteria-quality BBQ, I'd say.

Black's in Lockhart is by far my favorite in that town, but it just doesn't make the trip well, in my opinion.

Yeah I'm the one on that made the negative comment on Both Tacos about the Black's on the Drag.  I tried it twice and don't think it's very good. Cafeteria-quality BBQ, I'd say.
Black's in Lockhart is by far my favorite in that town, but it just doesn't make the trip well, in my opinion.

Wow. I’ve been twice, I think....and it was actually good.

And yes, when I’m downtown, I got Coopers sometimes too, but that’s also a commissary. That said, if you truck in finished and wrapped bbq to keep warm and serve, there shouldn’t be a huge difference between the commissary and the mother ship.

I mean, I just remember when bbq near campus meant Bert’s. Which I loved, don’t get me wrong...but it was mediocre bbq. The Turbo T-man was goodness and life and stuff.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Wow. I’ve been twice, I think....and it was actually good.

And yes, when I’m downtown, I got Coopers sometimes too, but that’s also a commissary. That said, if you truck in finished and wrapped bbq to keep warm and serve, there shouldn’t be a huge difference between the commissary and the mother ship.

I mean, I just remember when bbq near campus meant Bert’s. Which I loved, don’t get me wrong...but it was mediocre bbq. The Turbo T-man was goodness and life and stuff.

I haven't tried that Cooper's.

And the BBQ I was served at Black's on the Drag just wasn't anywhere close to what they serve in Lockhart.  

But I'll certainly agree the level of BBQ in Austin is much higher than it was 20 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Oldest niece just started at UT. What are the best joints close to campus? I’ve done Franklin and told her what to expect as far as that goes (long wait, excellent bbq).

Micklethwait Craft Meats is about 3 blocks east of Franklin.  Looks like they are closed through the end of January.  I've never had a bad meal there and the wait isn't that long.  Food trailer, so dining outside.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

absolutely worth it to drive the 10 min to Leroy and Lewis.

https://leroyandlewisbbq.com/

Those guys are consistently putting out some of the absolute best BBQ in Texas. Their Beef Cheeks are one of the best bites of food I've ever had at a BBQ joint.

• Hook 'Em 1