Texas BBQ

Washpark

they are new, hope it works out. just curious but what was in Doss that you were going to see haha
Looking forward to hitting them up one day soon!

Nothing. We just had to get out of the house. Beautiful day. We ate bbq, went to Fredericksburg and grabbed some backyard stuff at one of the shops on Main St, met up with some friends (who told us about Doss originally) and then drank beers at Alstadt Brewery.
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

Nothing. We just had to get out of the house. Beautiful day. We ate bbq, went to Fredericksburg and grabbed some backyard stuff at one of the shops on Main St, met up with some friends (who told us about Doss originally) and then drank beers at Alstadt Brewery.

nice, i hope it works out well for them in Doss...glad it was tasty and i will 100% be going out there soon.

there is also a BBQ spot opening at Willow City Loop called Mike's Q. Don't know anything about the pitmaster, menu, etc but they are opening at the spot that used to be Harry's right as you turn onto what is actually the Loop.

Back at the previous place I was once put on double-secret probation for using JM's name in vain. How times have change...

I'm just glad to have the potential for some legit barbecue within a 20 minute drive, even at the risk of being stabbed.

Never been a fan of his business prowess or his bipolar tendancies, but his tomahawk pork chop was one of the best smoked meats I have ever consumed. I hope he doesn't have a partner to get ripped off.

8 hours ago, Landomatic said:

I assume.  Apple didn't fall far from what it sounds like.

Following the various threads on here and the old site, I don’t remember seeing any discussion of him screwing over some guys on here. I thought there was quite a bit of support when he closed Galveston. May have missed something though.

• Like 1

Fraud aside, loans to or equity investments in a restaurant are risky things. Losing 100% of such an investment doesn’t mean you got fucked over. That said, I am not aware of the facts surrounding the investments made by the posters here.

I agree. And from my understanding, there was more to it. But again, I am not the one to say. However, my friend that I have known more than half my life feels he was fucked over...so I am gonna be on his side.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HouTex said:

Fraud aside, loans to or equity investments in a restaurant are risky things. Losing 100% of such an investment doesn’t mean you got fucked over. That said, I am not aware of the facts surrounding the investments made by the posters here.

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I agree. And from my understanding, there was more to it. But again, I am not the one to say. However, my friend that I have known more than half my life feels he was fucked over...so I am gonna be on his side.

IIRC there was some debt that was not disclosed to investors.  So, when money got a little tight due to seasonality, it was a lot tighter than it should have been.  Just going by what I read on here though so who knows.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DougO said:

Back at the previous place I was once put on double-secret probation for using JM's name in vain. How times have change...

One of my first lessons in shaggy group-think and the fact that many of the opinions posted here are FAR from how the real world actually is. Used to scratch my head as to how everyone here could possibly be so obsessed with that guy. Turns out I was beyond right (as I have been several times with several other topics since). Now I just laugh when surly group-think rears its head and people hang on every word like it’s the gospel.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, HouTex said:

People that open their own restaurants are crazy.  People who invest in other's restaurants are idiots.  YMMV

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

People that open their own restaurants are crazy.  People who invest in other's restaurants are idiots.  YMMV

To be fair, there may be some red flags that make that a bit of a sliding scale. Maybe when the face of the restaurant prides himself on being a dick to customers...or when his entire family has cut ties with him over previous business dealings...or when he boasts of his marketing & advertising plan consisting wholly of posting in his own special thread on surly...or when he's done no research on necessary permits for a smoker when opening a BBQ joint - those might be a couple to steer clear of.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/18/2021 at 9:38 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Micklethwait Craft Meats is about 3 blocks east of Franklin.  Looks like they are closed through the end of January.  I've never had a bad meal there and the wait isn't that long.  Food trailer, so dining outside.

His BBQ inspired taco truck TacoBronco has moved and is opening up next door to.

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I’m not gonna get into it because I wasn’t involved, but I have friends who got fucked over by champ. He was always nice to me, but a close long time friend got fucked over. I’m not ok with that. Plus he puts beans in chili.

Beans in chili? Activate perma-ban.

• Like 2

On 1/18/2021 at 9:20 AM, Brisketexan said:

I mean, I just remember when bbq near campus meant Bert’s. Which I loved, don’t get me wrong...but it was mediocre bbq. The Turbo T-man was goodness and life and stuff.

I wore off many a hangover at Logan's.  It seemed decent at the time.  I'm sure it sucked.

19 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Absolutely. I killed many brisket sandwiches there.

I think it was a bbq sandwich, chips or fries, and a large drink for $6. It was a pretty decent portion. You could get lunch and a case of Keystone for $20.

Wing Zone was on the same block. I think they were open until 4 am. Slammed hard. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

54 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Does anybody remember Bongo BBQ and Beer Barn on 24th? It was across the street/behind Towers. 

It was a very sad day when that place closed. They had a daily specials for $5-6. Really good 'que on the cheap. 

They had some kind of big BBQ wrap/burrito thing that I used to eat regularly.

It is interesting and perhaps telling that we've all identified sandwiches, chop, tacos, and burrito/wrap as our menu items of choice.  Or maybe they simply didn't offer anything by weight?  I don't recall, but if they did, I likely would have ordered it that way.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It is interesting and perhaps telling that we've all identified sandwiches, chop, tacos, and burrito/wrap as our menu items of choice.  Or maybe they simply didn't offer anything by weight?  I don't recall, but if they did, I likely would have ordered it that way.

Yeah I don't remember meat by the pound being sold there. It wasn't a butcher paper and no utensils type of place. 

It's difficult to research. I can't find a single interior/exterior/food/menu photo online. 

Following the various threads on here and the old site, I don’t remember seeing any discussion of him screwing over some guys on here. I thought there was quite a bit of support when he closed Galveston. May have missed something though.

You missed it because it wasn’t discussed. But, yeah, a lot of people missed a lot.

IIRC there was some debt that was not disclosed to investors.  So, when money got a little tight due to seasonality, it was a lot tighter than it should have been.  Just going by what I read on here though so who knows.

That’s part of it. But there is more. A lot more.

Bad used car salesmen that want to be social media stars shouldn’t run a restaurant.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

On 1/19/2021 at 7:02 AM, Landomatic said:

One of my first lessons in shaggy group-think and the fact that many of the opinions posted here are FAR from how the real world actually is. Used to scratch my head as to how everyone here could possibly be so obsessed with that guy. Turns out I was beyond right (as I have been several times with several other topics since). Now I just laugh when surly group-think rears its head and people hang on every word like it’s the gospel.

The UM or Bust thread excluded, of course.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

My Pops and I were passing through Fulshear today at lunch. We drove to Truth. 
image.thumb.jpeg.549bebf2dc7550142f275047069d1046.jpeg

Ah, I get it.  Zing!

Not Surly Elite either.  So this is the first I've heard about the other shit that went down.  But I did eat at the Galveston restaurant once and enjoyed it.  Also grew up going to Doziers with my dad in the late 70s and have fond memories of it from back then.

Edited by dcbc

Ah, I get it.  Zing!
Not Surly Elite either.  So this is the first I've heard about the other shit that went down.  But I did eat at the Galveston restaurant once and enjoyed it.  Also grew up going to Doziers with my dad in the late 70s and have fond memories of it from back then.

It’s not about enjoying it. Champ cooks some good bbq. Not elite, but very good. It’s about friends getting fucked over that I am not down with.
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/19/2021 at 1:58 PM, utee94 said:

I was bbq ignorant, but I was a pretty big fan of Logan's Corner on 25th and San Gabriel for campus-area bbq.