Texas BBQ

Washpark

11 hours ago, Ldogg53 said:

That’s part of it. But there is more. A lot more.

Bad used car salesmen that want to be social media stars shouldn’t run a restaurant.

Hindsight is always 20/20.

So, just out of curiosity, assuming you were one of the guys who got fucked (or are very close to some, since you seem to know more details than most), why did you (or they) think it was investable to begin with?

I saw major flaws in that guy as a business manager from 100 miles away.  I mean, apparently he was a pretty good cook, but restaurant investment 1-0-1 is it takes a hell of a lot more than that to run a successful restaurant.  Honestly, when I read on here that he shuttered, my very first thought was, "there's a shocker" followed by, "damn, he must have been even worse than I thought...I thought he'd at least make it a year."

I understand if you don't want to talk about it publicly, and I'm really not trying to dog pile.  I'm just genuinely curious from an investment/business standpoint.  I figure enough time has gone by?

15 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s not about enjoying it. Champ cooks some good bbq. Not elite, but very good. It’s about friends getting fucked over that I am not down with.

I understand.  I'd feel the same.

Edited by dcbc

I'm not down with misrepresentation by the business, but anyone who invests in a startup restaurant should invest no more than they are prepared to lose, and by that I mean ALL of it.  I speak from experience, twice.  (Once $$, once "sweat equity".  The odds of either working out are not good, so it had better be play money or play sweat.)

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not down with misrepresentation by the business, but anyone who invests in a startup restaurant should invest no more than they are prepared to lose, and by that I mean ALL of it.  I speak from experience, twice.  (Once $$, once "sweat equity".  The odds of either working out are not good, so it had better be play money or play sweat.)

I’ve always viewed restaurant investments (outside of the large chain/franchise varieties and owning multiple) as helping someone I know/like out and investing in them. Saying that, this sounds like there was undisclosed issues which would piss anyone off. It’s one thing to lose it on a deal that goes bad and another to lose it on a deal that may have never had a shot because of other issues when you are dealing with someone you know. In the end you’ve still lost, but I would rather lose it on a fair shot.

I got into a real estate deal 15 years ago with some friends that was doomed from the start. They did the deal and then brought in investors and the properties weren’t in the condition that was disclosed. It has cost me a small fortune over the years, but I trusted guys I had known forever and they just bent a few more of their friends over and fucked them to spread their risk. I wish that was a one time deal, but it’s not. Some work, some don’t but trusting people is a bad place to start from an investment scenario. They mostly all suck.

Pinkerton - brisket was damn near perfect. 10/10

ribs - 8/10, probably better dry. I ordered glazed. Very tasty 

sides - all very good. Great beans. Very fresh bread 

truth closes too early, so shot over to pinkerton’s. The bar is busy 

EAED7772-62FC-4A18-9FAC-56EA076ECC4C.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Brew said:

I’ve always viewed restaurant investments (outside of the large chain/franchise varieties and owning multiple) as helping someone I know/like out and investing in them. Saying that, this sounds like there was undisclosed issues which would piss anyone off. It’s one thing to lose it on a deal that goes bad and another to lose it on a deal that may have never had a shot because of other issues when you are dealing with someone you know. In the end you’ve still lost, but I would rather lose it on a fair shot.

I got into a real estate deal 15 years ago with some friends that was doomed from the start. They did the deal and then brought in investors and the properties weren’t in the condition that was disclosed. It has cost me a small fortune over the years, but I trusted guys I had known forever and they just bent a few more of their friends over and fucked them to spread their risk. I wish that was a one time deal, but it’s not. Some work, some don’t but trusting people is a bad place to start from an investment scenario. They mostly all suck.

Step 1 - don’t do business with friends 

Step 2 - don’t invest in restaurants 

Step 3 - follow the first two steps 

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 1:46 PM, Landomatic said:

So, just out of curiosity, assuming you were one of the guys who got fucked (or are very close to some, since you seem to know more details than most), why did you (or they) think it was investable to begin with?

I saw major flaws in that guy as a business manager from 100 miles away.  I mean, apparently he was a pretty good cook, but restaurant investment 1-0-1 is it takes a hell of a lot more than that to run a successful restaurant.  Honestly, when I read on here that he shuttered, my very first thought was, "there's a shocker" followed by, "damn, he must have been even worse than I thought...I thought he'd at least make it a year."

I understand if you don't want to talk about it publicly, and I'm really not trying to dog pile.  I'm just genuinely curious from an investment/business standpoint.  I figure enough time has gone by?

Good food is towards the bottom of the list for a restaurant to survive.  There's a hell of a lot of shitty, shitty restaurants that last forever and make money. There's a hell of a lot more awesome cooks who couldn't make their joint work. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Thank you for your detailed, insightful contribution.  Much appreciated.  I'm looking at things from a whole different perspective now.  Really got me thinking.

My initial thought was you come across as a pompous asshole, but I didn't want to post something that negative.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2021 at 5:06 PM, ZB'Tejas said:

116d7793b80244bedcbbea4e9567f1d1.jpg

Went to LA BBQ earlier this week for the first time in several years. Thicc slices so not falling apart and as moist as I remember but bark was outstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/20/2021 at 7:14 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

My Pops and I were passing through Fulshear today at lunch. We drove to Truth. 
image.thumb.jpeg.549bebf2dc7550142f275047069d1046.jpeg

Jesus on both accounts. 

• Like 1

Damn, and it doesn’t get much more outdoors than a lot of BBQ places.  They should announce they are limiting their number of people served even more, go reservation only as to keep no more than a handful of people in line at a time, and raise their prices.  People who are being cautious likely have no interest in going and standing in long lines (basically large gatherings) right now.  But they might pay a premium if they know that won’t be a factor.  Just might work.

The lines I have been in have been good about distancing, even though it still seems like a less than stellar idea. But in all seriousness, I would hate for any of these places to go under, so I go and eat. Even before dine in was reopened, I would buy bbq and eat it off the tailgate of my truck. But it’s kind of crazy that on a Friday you can roll into a place like Tejas, Truth, etc and only have to wait maybe 10 minutes.

I know Snow’s is open t0morrow after being closed several weeks. I’m sure the line there will be crazy. I feel bad for all those in the service industry trying to make a go of it.

I have ordered bbq from truth and had it shipped, trying to do my part.

6 hours ago, RMac5 said:

I read that LeAnn of La bbq said her business was down about 75% from the rona virus, not sure of exact time frame. 

I don't see how that's possible.  How can a restaurant, which under normal conditions sustains on razor thin margins, survive on 25% of nominal revenue?  I mean, I understand that labor and food costs are way down, but there are basic costs that just don't go away.  Maybe they've gotten a rent break or PPP loan, I don't know, but I just can't imagine running a restaurant down 75% on revenue.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:46 AM, Landomatic said:

I’ve been in the restaurant business for over 20 years and have had the unpleasant experience of closing bad locations/concepts. If you’re in the business long enough it’s bound to happen. I can say we’ve never shuttered one because our walk-in went down overnight. If I remember that was the reason Champ decided to close his after less than a year of operation.  When I read that I knew there had to be some real problems behind the scenes. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, DougO said:

Does anybody really give a shit about TM's top 50 any more? It seems like pretty much bullshit.

It gives me a idea of places to try in different areas.  I know the barbecue joints in my area, but like to have a baseline when trying new places in the Metroplex, in and around Houston, and far flung places like Lubbock.  On the last Top 25, there were only 5-6 places I didn't enjoy and there were 5-6 awesome places I wouldn't have known about otherwise.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoy it. ESpECIALLY when someone who thought they were all that falls off the Top 50 list.

I happened to be in Lubbock the week it came out last time and was first person in line at Evie Maes when they opened up for first time since the list came out and they hit the Top 10. . Was pretty cool. The owners dad was taking my picture as I went through the line and he was beaming with pride. Their food was great.

On 1/22/2021 at 4:51 PM, RMac5 said:

LeAnn of La bbq

i haven't ever been impressed with their product, especially considering how long you had to spend in line.

100/100 times i would rather go somewhere else that serves BBQ that is at worst on their level and at best a ton better, with no line.

sucks business is down but that is the #1 place i have never been impressed with that people rave about.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

40 minutes ago, NoName said:

i haven't ever been impressed with their product, especially considering how long you had to spend in line.

100/100 times i would rather go somewhere else that serves BBQ that is at worst on their level and at best a ton better, with no line.

sucks business is down but that is the #1 place i have never been impressed with that people rave about.

LA, Truth in Brenham, Killen's, and many other places are guilty of shitty line management. Maybe the meat cutter doesn't need to give samples to every person in line and then have a 10 minute conversation with them before the cashier rings them up. Some people like the experience of standing in line. This is the most bizarre element of the BBQ Culture to me. Free beer is great, but it's not a tailgate if there's no food.

I understand some places manage their lines much better, and the pitmasters come out and greets everyone after they sell out of meat. This is a much better system. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Hell, Aaron Franklin spent way too much time gabbing with customers, at least a few years ago.  I know this isn't rocket science, but Aaron, you're paying the help by the hour.  If you sell out by 11 AM instead of 1 PM, you pocket more money.  Infuriating.  I haven't been back in years because his food isn't good enough to justify the wait.  There isn't a bite of food on this planet worth me standing in line for 4 hours.

• Like 1

You can schedule pick up during Covid. It’s fantastic. 

I haven’t done the line in a few years but it’s not like it’s the DMV. Take some chairs, a cooler and some breakfast tacos and it’s much more like tailgating for an amazing meal. 

Edited by 4th&Five
  • Hook 'Em 2

Some of the slow lines are the fault of the idiot customers who don’t know what the fuck they want. They have been in line, usually can see the menu for at least 10 minutes, yet get to the counter and figure out what they want, like a bunch of children. I was actually just laughing about this with one of the ladies at Tejas that was at the chocolate counter. She rolled her eyes in agreement. I get to the register m, order and pay in less than 2 minutes.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Some of the slow lines are the fault of the idiot customers who don’t know what the fuck they want. They have been in line, usually can see the menu for at least 10 minutes, yet get to the counter and figure out what they want, like a bunch of children. I was actually just laughing about this with one of the ladies at Tejas that was at the chocolate counter. She rolled her eyes in agreement. I get to the register m, order and pay in less than 2 minutes.

The most popular item on the menu board is “uhhhh.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's my understanding the lines were (pre-covid) on purpose and controlling them was kind of an art form.

A) there's the practical - if they ran people through the line too fast, there wouldn't be a place for a lot of them to sit, so there would be a bunch of people just hovering around with trays in their hands while their food gets cold.  I've never seen a long line with any empty tables.

B) there's the perception - long lines equals you must have something really great so people want it even more.  Apple mastered this concept many years ago...the fact that you had to stand in line for the new iPhone made people want it even more.

Does anyone really think these BBQ places couldn't run people through faster if they wanted to?  Or that Apple didn't have the production capabilities to meet projected demand at the time of product launch?  It became the culture of the companies and they embraced it.

I’ve never timed it, but has anyone noticed if there is any difference in the line times between places where they slice and plate while you are at the counter v. The places where you order and they bring it to your table (Like Stanley's, Guess, Miller’s, etc)?   Wonder if it makes any difference.

Also, have not eaten at one in years (and not itching to go back), but there are some places that could learn about line management (though not food)  from Rudy’s.

The owner, who is also the meat cutter, of Cattleack would bust your balls for doing this.  I don't think he really cared how long you took, I think he just got annoyed by stupid people.  He wasn't quite as bad as the soup nazzi about it, but he could be pretty intimidating.  Lucky for him, his wife is the cashier and she's lovely, so she makes up for him and you feel pretty good once you're through.