Texas BBQ

Washpark

3 hours ago, Cajun said:

Spot on Jimmy.

I didn't realize how nuts these BBQ joint prices were until I started doing my own and ended up with equal or superior product for 1/3rd the cost.

“...started...”?

OK. Sure. Do you need advice on when to add Liquid Smoke to the Turkey Pan?

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2021 at 12:19 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I decided to drop in and give Pinkerton’s another shot after my previous 3 visits were not good. I got my usual.  This time, like most of my visits over the last few years, was excellent.  And one of the gals working there was also quite easy on the eyes. So redemption for Pinkerton’s, but I think Truth is better. Better brisket and better sausage. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

You have sauce on your trey, why should we trust you?

Also i'd put my sauce on her ass.

5 hours ago, After irth said:

“...started...”?

OK. Sure. Do you need advice on when to add Liquid Smoke to the Turkey Pan?

Naw, I'm good over here.

11154723_10153176466152348_1051569824702684462_o.jpg

11154853_10153169315347348_4436972290134151304_o.jpg

11879014_10153464914607348_50640788079256746_o.jpg

Edited by Cajun
And before anyone starts, that brisket was for friend's XMas party and she insisted on it being chopped. That 1st slice was merely for the pron
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

You have sauce on your trey, why should we trust you?

Also i'd put my sauce on her ass.

You realize most of these places give you sauce without asking for it right? Even then, at most places I use stunt drizzle on the sandwich I make but then ignore when I am eating the rest. Except Pinkerton’s. I really don’t like that sauce.

11 hours ago, Cajun said:

Pollo Frito pendejo!

I have never understood this popular opinion. their fried chicken is edible but by no means good, and certainly not worth a trip to the “restaurant.”  have not tried the carne guisada but maybe I’ll give that a try sometime. 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, futureman said:

I have never understood this popular opinion. their fried chicken is edible but by no means good, and certainly not worth a trip to the “restaurant.”  have not tried the carne guisada but maybe I’ll give that a try sometime. 

It completely depends on which one you go to.  The one near me here in SA has top notch fried chicken.  Go to another one a few miles away out near the Medical Center and it's meh to shitty.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Cajun said:

It completely depends on which one you go to.  The one near me here in SA has top notch fried chicken.  Go to another one a few miles away out near the Medical Center and it's meh to shitty.

that’s fair I guess. I have only had chicken from the one on burnet just north of anderson and it was not good. 

• Fuck You 1

Ha!  Yeah, I went there once when I lived in ATX and didn't even try their fried yardbird based just on the eyeball test.

There's another one off the highway (Ben White) on the way to the airport and it is at best mediocre.

All that said, if I've got the time and coin, Earl Abel's is still my go-to for the stuff.  In fact, all this talk has me thinking of heading that direction for lunch.

iu.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
And, yes, I've derailed this thread. I'll show myself out...

But, more serious.  I remember getting some Q way back in my drinkin' days.  Got home with it and found some containers with sauce in 'em.  I had just mixed a Bloody Mary up and on my way to the trash can, with drink in hand, it hit me before I dropped in the sauce - wonder what one of these would taste like in my BMary?

It was damned good.  Pickle juice is good in those things too.

Puts some hair on those nuts.

Some sauce for your sauce, if I may be so bold.

Edited by Cajun
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

Is there a really, really good BBQ joint in either Lufkin or Nacogdoches?  Obviously deep East Texas, but I am not a huge fan of East Texas BBQ.  I know about the Longview and Tyler spots, but we won't be that far north by lunchtime.  I am seeing Brendyns BBQ in Nacogdoches had a small mention in TM, but the dish they feature doesn't interest me much.  But maybe they do good brisket?  Suggestions?

20 hours ago, Cajun said:

Spot on Jimmy.

I didn't realize how nuts these BBQ joint prices were until I started doing my own and ended up with equal or superior product for 1/3rd the cost.

it's almost as if restaurants put 1/3 of their revenue into food

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I'm doing it for 1/3rd the cost which includes food, lump charcoal, and oak wood.

Some places have the overhead (including cost of food) to justify $20lb brisket, but many don't.  They just don't, no matter how much you want to rescue ranger their honor.

$20plus/lb in ATX, especially downtown/East ATX?  Oh, yeah, I get it.

$20 plus/lb where 2M is, in fucking San Antonio?  Nope.  Maybe if they were in The Pearl or out at the Rim. 

Edited by Cajun

Some places have the overhead (including cost of food) to justify $20lb brisket, but many don't.  They just don't, no matter how much you want to rescue ranger their honor.

I understand what you are saying. I get the economics. But at the same time the number of people that can create bbq at such a high level for a large number of people, should be appreciated. Often times I eat bbq on a photo road trip. That means I need someone else to smoke it for me. You may think their overhead doesn’t justify the price, but I think it does. Maybe I am naive, but I think the price is acceptable for the time and effort. I know I am about to be shouted down, but oh well.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I understand what you are saying. I get the economics. But at the same time the number of people that can create bbq at such a high level for a large number of people, should be appreciated.

THIS (the bolded) has a lot of merit.  I've done it for about 70 people and won't ever try that again.

Edited by Cajun
  • Like 1

I am well aware that I can't smoke 30 briskets as well as I can smoke 1 brisket.  Like everyone here, I don't really do it for the cost savings, anyway.  It's a good way to spend the day drinking beer and avoiding my family.

BUT, if I'm lazy, I can still pay Bert's $1/lb and walk away with a pretty good brisket two days later.  Serve some, freeze some.

8 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's like what john mueller said in a moment of clarity.  yeah, a guy in his backyard can do a great brisket at a time, but doing 30 great briskets at a time is fucking hard. 

So is paying taxes, apparently.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have eaten and pissed at Hruska's in Ellinger 1,453 times or so.  Very decent cheeseburgers, btw, on top of quality kolaches.
However, I have never tried Peter's BBQ just 2 businesses down.  Anyone tried it?  

I had the worst chopped beef sandwich I’ve ever eaten there ~12 years ago.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I understand what you are saying. I get the economics. But at the same time the number of people that can create bbq at such a high level for a large number of people, should be appreciated. Often times I eat bbq on a photo road trip. That means I need someone else to smoke it for me. You may think their overhead doesn’t justify the price, but I think it does. Maybe I am naive, but I think the price is acceptable for the time and effort. I know I am about to be shouted down, but oh well.
They should raise their prices until people quit coming. Then back them down and profit. Its the American way.

15 hours ago, Cajun said:

I'm doing it for 1/3rd the cost which includes food, lump charcoal, and oak wood.

$20plus/lb in ATX, especially downtown/East ATX?  Oh, yeah, I get it.

$20 plus/lb where 2M is, in fucking San Antonio?  Nope.  Maybe if they were in The Pearl or out at the Rim. 

Rescue Rangers was a great show. 

• Haha 1

On 3/12/2021 at 7:59 AM, Cajun said:

If I get sauce like that I'll do it as a shot at the end.

You know, to cleanse the palate.

Schoepf's in Belton. The only real reason to go there any more is the sauce. I just drink it out of the cup. It was never real legit barbecue, but once had some real good food, especially the bigass pork chops. Quality went down, prices went to super-cray can't do it.

Finally got a chance to drive over to the Bodacious on Mobberly in Longview. Rolled in at about 2:30 p.m. on Thursday.  Walked in, no line, ordered 2 lbs of brisket, half flat/half point, and about a pound and a half of ribs.  Brisket definitely did not disappoint. Ribs were pretty good. They were sold out of sausage.

8d899181a36746caa6169c9ff1877c12.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2