Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 3/17/2021 at 10:59 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i don't know how i feel about this beef rib boudin...the full-blood coonass in me says "nah, man"...but the full-blood coonass in me says "oh fuck yes!"

145404267_234027018372603_53170533060791

i do know how i feel about this...no confusion with this.

gotta make time to stop on my next trip to Nac...

That sounds awesome!

FB345611-681C-4FDB-A507-F7B29739EAA9.gif

just hit Distant Relatives. it’s a trailer in Austin just west of Springdale on E. 7th

it is African BBQ, similar to what you’re used to but with some exotic spices/flavors. it’s an interesting little spot. the meat was pretty good, better than the pic would indicate. no pics of sides but I had the burnt end peas and smothered cabbage and they were both great. I recommend giving it a shot if you’re in the area.

https://www.distatantrelativesatx.com

487F7A73-ABFC-42B5-BC90-AF267E83B6F4.jpeg

517E7299-760B-4783-BAF9-41299B35D868.jpeg

also for some reason it is not listed on google maps. next door to Leal’s Tire Shop if you want to find location. 

Edited by futureman
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/17/2021 at 8:20 AM, NoName said:

the only thing to get at Coopers in Llano is the Big Chop. anything else is a plus, including the beans. but going there and expecting anything close to Top 10 BBQ is going to result in missing your expectations by a ton - even Top 50 is a bad measuring stick.

easily the worst BBQ i have ever had at a Top 50 joint (and not just once, were talking like 5x, I go through Llano a ton) and it isn't getting any better, which is sad

Correct - the brisket is inedible.  I'd rather have dickey's brisket than Coopers salty pot roast.

Even though I love the chop I won't recommend going to anyone visiting for fear they'll get brisket.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Cant find a non Texas BBQ thread so...

Sauced in Sacramento, ordered the 2 meat plate, brisket and ribs with mac and cheese and sweet potato casserole

Very subtle smoke, brisket needs more pepper, ribs were ok... 6 out 10. sides, who cares, 30 + beers on tap and a decent bourbon list. Their houses souces are good, sauce?!!?!? wtf ya I know but I tried them on the ribs, not bad

If you're in the area and need a fix, go for its not terrible but certainly not a destination place

sauced.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

I stopped at Inman's BBQ while I was in Llano a few months ago and it was half decent. If Rudy's is the bar for tasty mediocrity it was about even, maybe slightly above. 

Turkey sausage is what Inman's does best.  Last time I was there, the ribs and brisket were under-cooked/not rendered enough.  Took home a couple of pounds of turkey sausage to finish on my smoker at home.  Great stuff.

2 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

I stopped at Inman's BBQ while I was in Llano a few months ago and it was half decent. If Rudy's is the bar for tasty mediocrity it was about even, maybe slightly above. 

Took some yankees to Rudy’s last week and they fell in love 

15 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

Took some yankees to Rudy’s last week and they fell in love 

I'll be honest, Rudy's is good in a pinch and I don't think anyone will disagree. The level of bbq mastery in Texas is just on a whole different playing field these days. I, for one, welcome our new bbq overlords. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2021 at 11:59 AM, Kyrie Eleison said:

i don't know how i feel about this beef rib boudin...the full-blood coonass in me says "nah, man"...but the full-blood coonass in me says "oh fuck yes!"

145404267_234027018372603_53170533060791

i do know how i feel about this...no confusion with this.

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hit up Helberg today.  It was fantastic.  Out of ribs.  The pesto basil turkey was good but as a rule I don't really care for turkey. 

Brisket was fantastic. Street corn and tater salad were good as well.  Homemade pickles were meh.  But that was my only complaint. 

Would bang

20210320_142915.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Vaqueros BBQ - Grapevine. One of the 5 or 10 places ive ever been where every item was badass. The baked potato was for the wife. Chipotle cheddar sausage was amazing. Itll def be in the TM Top 50 this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How was the birria taco?

Bexar BBQ - Tomball

Got the Trinity (because fuck any other type of order for a first visit). Brisket was moist and had awesome bark. Ribs were cooked perfectly, with a Pinkertons-like glaze on top that made them slightly sweet. Sausage was $7.50 a link, and had a nice snap and pepper to it. 

awesome spot if you dont want to wait  at Tejas

• Hook 'Em 2

Anyone tried Goldee’s in Fort Worth/Kennedale? I’ll be in town and a friend is picking me up at DFW and recommended we hit it up for lunch. 

It’s damn good. I went a few weeks ago (see above). Also consider Panther City, which is stellar (get brisket elotes).
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:07 AM, GreenspointTexas said:

Bexar BBQ - Tomball

Got the Trinity (because fuck any other type of order for a first visit). Brisket was moist and had awesome bark. Ribs were cooked perfectly, with a Pinkertons-like glaze on top that made them slightly sweet. Sausage was $7.50 a link, and had a nice snap and pepper to it. 

awesome spot if you dont want to wait  at Tejas

Tried it about 6 months ago (I think). Thought it was pretty good. I’d put them ahead of Two Guys 1 Pit and behind Tejas. 

Tried Terry Black’s today for the first time. Brisket was tender, but a touch too salty. Still good. I didn’t care much for the sausage, especially the jalapeño cheese. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

Maybe they went old school and used high temp cheese that doesn’t really melt much.

Cheese doesn't belong in Texas BBQ sausage.  Some of the old school places would serve you a chunk of cheese to go along with your 'cue and crackers back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Cheese doesn't belong in Texas BBQ sausage.  Some of the old school places would serve you a chunk of cheese to go along with your 'cue and crackers back in the day.

I completely agree. However, the old school version uses that high temp cheese.

Gotta go to Lockhart today . . . might grab some 'cue to bring home, because nostalgia.  What is the current consensus on best

- brisket

- pork ribs

- sausage

among the big 4 (Smitty's, Kreuz, Black's, Chisholm Trail)?

Yes, I know, Lockhart isn't what it used to be.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 3/19/2021 at 10:15 PM, Smax said:

Cant find a non Texas BBQ thread so...

Sauced in Sacramento, ordered the 2 meat plate, brisket and ribs with mac and cheese and sweet potato casserole

Very subtle smoke, brisket needs more pepper, ribs were ok... 6 out 10. sides, who cares, 30 + beers on tap and a decent bourbon list. Their houses souces are good, sauce?!!?!? wtf ya I know but I tried them on the ribs, not bad

If you're in the area and need a fix, go for its not terrible but certainly not a destination place

sauced.jpg

That looks pretty decent.  This hits close to home because I live in the East Bay and we have Sauced locations in Livermore and Walnut Creek too.  Pretty good stuff for northern California BBQ.   

On 4/1/2021 at 10:42 AM, Lhorn said:

That looks pretty decent.  This hits close to home because I live in the East Bay and we have Sauced locations in Livermore and Walnut Creek too.  Pretty good stuff for northern California BBQ.   

I'm going to be in Oakland tomorrow for the Astros game, looking for recs. Have you ever been to Horn BBQ? https://www.hornbarbecue.com/

39 minutes ago, Smax said:

I'm going to be in Oakland tomorrow for the Astros game, looking for recs. Have you ever been to Horn BBQ? https://www.hornbarbecue.com/

Never been.  Although I've live out here for god number of years, I haven't been to that many BBQ places in part because there aren't many good ones.  Let us know what you think if you get a chance to try it out.  

On 4/1/2021 at 12:33 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Gotta go to Lockhart today . . . might grab some 'cue to bring home, because nostalgia.  What is the current consensus on best

- brisket

- pork ribs

- sausage

among the big 4 (Smitty's, Kreuz, Black's, Chisholm Trail)?

Yes, I know, Lockhart isn't what it used to be.

What'd you end up doing?  My $0.02...

Black's is best for brisket and pork spares.

Kreuz' good for sausage

Smitty's brisket was so terrible 3 times in a row I stopped even bothering.  Shoe leather.  It's sad because for many many years it was my favorite.

Don't ever stop at Chisolm Trail so can't comment.