Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

After 20 years of living in Tyler and frequenting Stanley's, I finally had my first Mother Clucker today. Great success. I've always held off because of the fried egg. But damn, what a sammich.

Worked at the TMT many years ago and that’s the only thing I miss about Tyler. 

Edited by The Ace of Aces
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

What’s wrong with a fried egg?

Runny yolks aren't really my jam by themselves.  But I'd heard nothing but great things about it and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Edited by dcbc

8 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Worked at the TMT many years ago and that’s the only thing I miss about Tyler. 

Stanley's still is, and always has been, one of my favorite things about Tyler.  I've only lived here about 20 years at this point, but I'm glad to say there are some other cool places here now as opposed to when I first moved here.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Stanley's still is, and always has been, one of my favorite things about Tyler.  I've only lived here about 20 years at this point, but I'm glad to say there are some other cool places here now as opposed to when I first moved here.

We overlapped a few years. I spent lots and lots of time down the street from the office at Don Juan’s. Actually I hid there during the courthouse shootout too as a friend got hit. 

24 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

We overlapped a few years. I spent lots and lots of time down the street from the office at Don Juan’s. Actually I hid there during the courthouse shootout too as a friend got hit. 

I was about to ask which Don Juans, but that clears it up.  That was an awful day.  My wife (no pics) was driving from Longview to Tyler for a hearing in Federal court, and I was on the phone with her to tell her to get off 271 because shit was headed that way. 

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

I was about to ask which Don Juans, but that clears it up.  That was an awful day.  My wife (no pics) was driving from Longview to Tyler for a hearing in Federal court, and I was on the phone with her to tell her to get off 271 because shit was headed that way. 

Hope she stopped at Country Tavern, because they have the best ribs I’ve ever had (getting it back on topic ...)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Goldee's in Fort Worth. Definitely deserves the high praise I've been hearing. Brisket was great, bark was spot on. Ribs are great and tender, I prefer a hint of sweetness on my ribs. Sausage is above avg, I prefer a coarse grind though. Cheesy grits are phenomenal. Potato salad is unique, not what you find at other joints. Cole slaw is nice. Beans were great, has beef with a tex mex twist to them.

20210404_124607.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 5:32 PM, futureman said:

the cheeks are fine but you need to go on a saturday so you can get the brisket. 

On 3/18/2021 at 7:33 PM, PantsTent said:

Maybe I will, Lois. Maybe I will.

Brisket and pulled lamb were great. Sausage was not very good but oh, well. Good way to start off Easter.

IMG_1810.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Braff, você quer um soco na cara?  Porra.  Pro tip, find me on Instagram. 

Today I was in Eagle Lake at lunch so I stopped into Austin’s BBQ. Proudly displayed on the building, like aggy and fake championships, they have the years they were on the TM list. Also just like Aggy, it was bad. I can’t think of a brisket I have eaten that was drier. How dry?  Imagine How wet South Austin’s mom is on a Saturday night. Now try to imagine the exact opposite. No Big Red. The sausage was the only thing that was ok. 

spacer.png

Be careful what you ask for. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Braff, você quer um soco na cara?  Porra.  Pro tip, find me on Instagram. 

Today I was in Eagle Lake at lunch so I stopped into Austin’s BBQ. Proudly displayed on the building, like aggy and fake championships, they have the years they were on the TM list. Also just like Aggy, it was bad. I can’t think of a brisket I have eaten that was drier. How dry?  Imagine How wet South Austin’s mom is on a Saturday night. Now try to imagine the exact opposite. No Big Red. The sausage was the only thing that was ok. 

spacer.png

Be careful what you ask for. 

Reminds me of a time we were driving to Austin from Houston on 71 in the late 90s.  It'd been a while since I'd made the drive and we kept seeing billboards for some BBQ joint in LaGrange.  The last of the billboards said, "Come check out our trophies!"  That sold the guy who was riding shotgun,  and we stopped.  Long story short, it was piss, and the trophies were a bunch of fucking deer heads mounted to the walls. 

/edit  It was Texas One Stop.  On the website, they still have the "trophies" displayed.  On their Yelp! page, some dude left a glowing review of the BBQ and posted this picture.  I stand by my review from over twenty years ago before the Texas BBQ revolution, but when a good many of us still could tell the difference between shite and not shite.

o.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Reminds me of a time we were driving to Austin from Houston on 71 in the late 90s.  It'd been a while since I'd made the drive and we kept seeing billboards for some BBQ joint in LaGrange.  The last of the billboards said, "Come check out our trophies!"  That sold the guy who was riding shotgun,  and we stopped.  Long story short, it was piss, and the trophies were a bunch of fucking deer heads mounted to the walls. 

/edit  It was Texas One Stop.  On the website, they still have the "trophies" displayed.  On their Yelp! page, some dude left a glowing review of the BBQ and posted this picture.  I stand by my review from over twenty years ago before the Texas BBQ revolution, but when a good many of us still could tell the difference between shite and not shite.

o.jpg

Dap GIF

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, dcbc said:

o.jpg

c4b1958ef7db35ead7c5edcbc2aab6d0--rage-m

actually kinda looks like californians and new yorkers who post results of their brisket smoke after watching an aaron franklin video on youtube once...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/10/2021 at 3:57 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Roegels has whole hog today. I’d recommend a little Louisiana hot sauce on the pulled pork. 

this is seriously a great comment. even crystal is good but Louisiana is better - same concept obv works well on pulled pork

48 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is seriously a great comment. even crystal is good but Louisiana is better - same concept obv works well on pulled pork

Roegels gives you a vinegar sauce on the side. From my brief stay in North Carolina, they usually sauced the pulled pork before serving it. You're then strongly encouraged to put hot sauce on it. They drink Texas Pete by the gallon in North Carolina so that's usually what's on the table. I'm not sure if there's a right way or a work way to do it. 

I also ordered brisket at Roegels. Of course the brisket absolutely lapped the pulled pork, but it was nice to try something different. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Went to Snows today got there at 7:30 waited fuckin 7 hours and they ran out of Brisket of everything but regular sausage at about 10 people in front of me. Ended up getting a link which was nothing special and decided to chance and drive down to Truth's in Brenham. Luckily they still had Brisket and a few items and were pretty much on point. To starving that I got to forget to a picture.

4 hours ago, mbtex said:

Went to Snows today got there at 7:30 waited fuckin 7 hours and they ran out of Brisket of everything but regular sausage at about 10 people in front of me. Ended up getting a link which was nothing special and decided to chance and drive down to Truth's in Brenham. Luckily they still had Brisket and a few items and were pretty much on point. To starving that I got to forget to a picture.

that's fucking crazy. i had truth bbq (houston) last week and it was as good as any bbq ive ever had 

• Like 1