Texas BBQ

Washpark

The pine talk has me thinking. I have done a lot of grilling since moving to NC, and it's just fine for burgers or fajitas, but this 4th of July, I'm planning to smoke a brisket.

I could travel a couple of hours to pick up some post oak, but all I have locally that might suffice is some shagbark hickory, or maybe a downed fruit tree or three.

What say ye, Surly? What's the "next best thing" if you don't have oak to smoke with?

30 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

The pine talk has me thinking. I have done a lot of grilling since moving to NC, and it's just fine for burgers or fajitas, but this 4th of July, I'm planning to smoke a brisket.

I could travel a couple of hours to pick up some post oak, but all I have locally that might suffice is some shagbark hickory, or maybe a downed fruit tree or three.

What say ye, Surly? What's the "next best thing" if you don't have oak to smoke with?

I use hickory and pecan, but have used only hickory on recent occasions when I haven't been able to find pecan without putting in some effort.  I've decided I kind of like hickory.

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Academy has this for $5.99 a bag, and they'll ship.  No idea how expensive the shipping would be, or if they'll ship to NC, but it might be a decent oak to smoke with.  It ain't sticks, though.

Or, check your local Home Depot, Ace, Lowe's, etc.

view number 1

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I use hickory and pecan, but have used only hickory on recent occasions when I haven't been able to find pecan without putting in some effort.  I've decided I kind of like hickory.

I smoked everything with pecan for a long time because it was free.  Damn self-pruning trees.  I like pecan just fine, and if I had hickory available that is probably what I would use. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Academy has this for $5.99 a bag, and they'll ship.  No idea how expensive the shipping would be, or if they'll ship to NC, but it might be a decent oak to smoke with.  It ain't sticks, though.

Or, check your local Home Depot, Ace, Lowe's, etc.

view number 1

I'm used to collecting my own, but you're right -- I may need to just bite the bullet and buy some. They favor sweet woods over savory around here. Kinda goes with the theme of "pork is bbq" I guess. There's a few decent brisket joints, and I've asked --- they have their oak shipped to them.

15 hours ago, DoobieWah said:

I’m sorry, but Lexington isn’t big enough to park the cars required for a seven hour line. 

They did there usual Lotto and we were number 261 In Line. There was also some film crew out there don't know how much of an effect that had on things.

On 4/18/2021 at 10:16 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

I'm used to collecting my own, but you're right -- I may need to just bite the bullet and buy some. They favor sweet woods over savory around here. Kinda goes with the theme of "pork is bbq" I guess. There's a few decent brisket joints, and I've asked --- they have their oak shipped to them.

Seems like there might be your (grossly overpriced) answer. Might be worth asking them to tack on a little extra for yourself.

21 hours ago, Hornbeliever said:

I probably go to Truth (htown) once every other week.  Slightly more convenient for me than Pinkertons and I heart their corn pudding like no man should. 

Never been to Truth Brenham.  Is bbq better in Brenham or same?  I don't care about ambience so only talking taste.

Only had truth in Brenham once, but that may have been the single best bbq meal I’ve ever eaten. 

On 4/17/2021 at 7:31 PM, mbtex said:

When we first got there most people were saying they wait is usually 3 hours. Then that time passes and you are pretty much committed and want to see what the hype is about. Yes I learned my lesson.

I was there on the 17th as well, the wife took me there as an anniversary gift. We were in line at 5:10 and ended up number 80 and 81. Everything was delicious but there is something about the chicken that makes it ridiculously good. Brisket was as good as I’ve had anywhere.

On 4/22/2021 at 7:54 PM, Trey3216 said:

Went to Guess during the dinner hours ( first time doing that).  Had a buddy in from New Jersey.   Did not disappoint.
Brisket, Ribs, Garlic Sausage, Cheddar Sausage, Cheese Grits, Hatch Mac.   All phenomenal.  

E594A7B3-F2D3-4F57-9DA2-25B8562E94F9.jpeg

389FD8AE-FB48-41C5-9883-DA4B9D3A4339.jpeg

88F9B268-B8EF-4581-927D-DAD6D3D406F5.jpeg

My wife and me (no pics) stopped there yesterday on our drive back to Austin from Dallas.  The brisket and pork ribs were awesome and I can tell you the cheese grits are not instant grits. HA!  I would highly recommend Guess Family BBQ.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Royal With Cheese said:

My wife and me (no pics) stopped there yesterday on our drive back to Austin from Dallas.  The brisket and pork ribs were awesome and I can tell you the cheese grits are not instant grits. HA!  I would highly recommend Guess Family BBQ.

Correct.   Definitely not instant grits.  Damn tasty bastards!   Glad you enjoyed.  They’re doing a great job down there 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Nothing. I expected shit and I got shit. Am almost done with eating at every restaurant in the Heights and this was one of the last ones on the list

Next time, can I have that money you plan on spending?   I'll make you a PBJ sandwich.  You'll be better off.

2 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Son's state baseball tournament is going to be in the Hearne/Franklin area over the next couple of days. Any good recommendations for BBQ in the area? 

Drive to Rockdale and try Bretts Backyard BBQ. And if you’re around Saturday morning early enough maybe go to Lexington for some Snows?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Just get some rolls from the double Dave’s food truck in Hearne. You are better off. Absolutely do not got to Twisted 6 in Calvert.

What....there's a Double Dave's food truck. The boys are going to hit that hard tomorrow night.

35 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Drive to Rockdale and try Bretts Backyard BBQ. And if you’re around Saturday morning early enough maybe go to Lexington for some Snows?

Exactly what I was thinking, but games end on Friday and we'll be headed home after that. 

22 hours ago, Both Tacos said:

Son's state baseball tournament is going to be in the Hearne/Franklin area over the next couple of days. Any good recommendations for BBQ in the area? 

This almost made my head explode upon first skim.  Read like "I'm going to be in the Snows area.  Any good BBQ around there?"