Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 4/30/2021 at 12:35 PM, RMac5 said:

I find it hard to believe that the folks in B/CS favor the aggoids.

This ^

I find it hard to believe that anyone could. Especially to the level at which they all do. Is there a group of people on earth who support/celebrate so much for so little actually accomplished?

On 3/14/2021 at 11:20 PM, stork642 said:

Sorry so late but I’m just now seeing this.  Brendyn’s is the only place I would recommend in Nac.  Not sure there’s anything that good in Lufkin.  

Dang I live there and have never heard of it before.

On 3/17/2021 at 12:18 PM, Kyrie Eleison said:

Guess Family killed it today...

a9dd85590de1c1e30b73184306ecd4ad.jpg

I need to hit them up again when I'm in the area.  The last (only) time I was there was a mixed bag.  I got the three meat plate, and while the brisket was exceptional, the sausage and ribs were totally inedible.

• Drool 2

I need to hit them up again when I'm in the area.  The last (only) time I was there was a mixed bag.  I got the three meat plate, and while the brisket was exceptional, the sausage and ribs were totally inedible.

Reid Guess is a BBQ allstar in my opinion. Been a fan for years and think he can que with the best of Texas BBQ gurus. I have rarely had anything less then excellent from him over the last few years. I have heard they have been struggling with staff lately like a lot of local restaurants. I’ve had a handful of issues with incomplete to go orders, but the food was still top notch. No excuse for subpar food though.

His brisket is amazing and some of his non bbq food is insanely good. Chicken fried steak is second to none. Honestly, Waco needs Guess BBQ in its food scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Bryan Bingham (pitmaster at Bodacious Mobberly for last few years) has finally announced his new venture, Sunbird barbeque and left Bodacious.

Spoiler

He put in his two weeks and sounds like they said "no, you're fired" - then posted they were going to be closed for renovations on facebook...then limited who could comment on their "closed for renovations" post haha

Very few people in the BBQ game have skin as thin as the Lindsay family. This isn't new by the way, it's been the case for decades. I know how much of a claim it is, but it is 100% true.

Bryan's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bryancbingham/?hl=en

Sunbird Insta: https://www.instagram.com/sunbirdbbq/?hl=en

Sunbird facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sunbirdbbq/?ref=py_c

Their spread at Red Dirt BBQ Fest looked tasty:

2WzzgrGt

I have no doubt that Sunbird is going to take off and couldn't be happier for Bryan.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NoName said:

Bryan Bingham (pitmaster at Bodacious Mobberly for last few years) has finally announced his new venture, Sunbird barbeque and left Bodacious.

Reveal hidden contents

He put in his two weeks and sounds like they said "no, you're fired" - then posted they were going to be closed for renovations on facebook...then limited who could comment on their "closed for renovations" post haha

Very few people in the BBQ game have skin as thin as the Lindsay family. This isn't new by the way, it's been the case for decades. I know how much of a claim it is, but it is 100% true.

Bryan's Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/bryancbingham/?hl=en

Sunbird Insta: https://www.instagram.com/sunbirdbbq/?hl=en

Sunbird facebook: https://www.facebook.com/sunbirdbbq/?ref=py_c

Their spread at Red Dirt BBQ Fest looked tasty:

2WzzgrGt

I have no doubt that Sunbird is going to take off and couldn't be happier for Bryan.

Been following him on your recommendation.  His brisket at Mobberly was excellent.  Looking forward to trying his food again soon. 

Is it going to be a trailer?

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Been following him on your recommendation.  His brisket at Mobberly was excellent.  Looking forward to trying his food again soon. 

yessir, at least to start off...

looks like they are doing some tacos and other stuff plus normal BBQ

17 minutes ago, NoName said:

yessir, at least to start off...

looks like they are doing some tacos and other stuff plus normal BBQ

I didn't make it out to Red Dirt this year, but it looked well attended.

2 hours ago, dcbc said:

Bryan is as good a dude as there is in the business.  They are going to set up on the north side of Longview at a new big gas station called Heritage at Green Top. 7486 US-259 Longview, TX 75605

Should be opened up pretty soon.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, DallasSooner said:

Bryan is as good a dude as there is in the business.  They are going to set up on the north side of Longview at a new big gas station called Heritage at Green Top. 7486 US-259 Longview, TX 75605

beat me to it with the address!

Bryan is a good dude, agreed. Don't know Dave but the handful of folks I do know who know him really like him as well

he did an interview that came out today with Kevin's BBQ Joints

• Hook 'Em 1

That's a fancy fuckin name for a gas station
  • Haha 1

Reid Guess is a BBQ allstar in my opinion. Been a fan for years and think he can que with the best of Texas BBQ gurus. I have rarely had anything less then excellent from him over the last few years. I have heard they have been struggling with staff lately like a lot of local restaurants. I’ve had a handful of issues with incomplete to go orders, but the food was still top notch. No excuse for subpar food though.

His brisket is amazing and some of his non bbq food is insanely good. Chicken fried steak is second to none. Honestly, Waco needs Guess BBQ in its food scene.

his KoKo Ramen in Union Hall is nothing short of a bowl of heavenly manna.
  • Like 2

On 4/18/2021 at 9:13 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

The pine talk has me thinking. I have done a lot of grilling since moving to NC, and it's just fine for burgers or fajitas, but this 4th of July, I'm planning to smoke a brisket.

I could travel a couple of hours to pick up some post oak, but all I have locally that might suffice is some shagbark hickory, or maybe a downed fruit tree or three.

What say ye, Surly? What's the "next best thing" if you don't have oak to smoke with?

I believe Aaron Franklin puts hickory as second choice to post oak. I believe when he's had to use it he soaks in water for an hour a day before cooking on it.

Stopped into Truth after finishing up a job interview. Not sure if it was because the cutter remembers me or they are giving out samples (didn’t see them giving away to others), but he gave me a slice of pastrami brisket on the house.  It was pretty fucking delicious.  I ate way too much. 

spacer.png

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

42 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Stopped into Truth after finishing up a job interview. Not sure if it was because the cutter remembers me or they are giving out samples (didn’t see them giving away to others), but he gave me a slice of pastrami brisket on the house.  It was pretty fucking delicious.  I ate way too much. 

spacer.png

How did the interview go?  Was it with you-know-who?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

I mean it’s basically a troll article meant to piss people off but I’m fine with it anyway. texas bbq doesn’t need to be compared to the rest of the nationwide garbage. we are a separate category and very clearly the best. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Hit up Guess today for the first time.

Brisket was outstanding. As was both types of sausage.  Really liked the pulled pork too. Ribs we're sold out.

Sides we're hit and miss.  The burnt end beans were the best beans I've ever had.  I'm going to ask them to sell them to me by the bucket. 

Green chile mac and cheese didn't have much flavor and was runny.  Could've been much better.

I didn't like the tater salad at all.  

The brisket jam, pimento deviled eggs were ok but I prefer the traditional deviled eggs.  I'm glad I tried them.

Pickles we're still cucumbers.

Overall I think Helbergs has better sides minus the beans but Guess has the better meat. 

Can't wait to go back to either place.

20210512_141411.jpg

20210512_141407.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Drool 2

2 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Brisket was outstanding. As was both types of sausage.  Really liked the pulled pork too. Ribs we're sold out.

Sides we're hit and miss.  The burnt end beans were the best beans I've ever had.  I'm going to ask them to sell them to me by the bucket. 

Green chile mac and cheese didn't have much flavor and was runny.  Could've been much better.

The brisket jam, pimento deviled eggs were ok but I prefer the traditional deviled eggs.  I'm glad I tried them.

Overall I think Helbergs has better sides minus the beans but Guess has the better meat. 

20210512_141411.jpg

20210512_141407.jpg

You caught them on an off day. It happens.

20210512_141411.thumb.jpg.d743a5a8ced40070f429edf8b6aa00a4.jpg
20210512_141407.thumb.jpg.c82a94228cade8587de07ddd5bb8afce.jpg

Get the cheese grits next time instead of Mac and cheese. I’d put them above the beans.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

What is you gentlemen’s thoughts on Hard Eight BBQ? We had had a 7vs7 tournament and stopped by there. I thought it was pretty good myself. Here in OKC we have good bbq, not great. Leo’s is probably the best. 

Hard 8 is OK, not nearly great Texas BBQ.  Last time I was in Leo’s, I strolled in with another guy in a suit.  Place got very, very quiet instantaneously; the ‘cue was great.  It was a long time ago, and we were the only white faces in the place, but folks pretty friendly once it was clear we only wanted food.  Funny experience, and one of my favorite restaurant memories.

1 hour ago, Horn Draoi said:

Hard 8 is OK, not nearly great Texas BBQ.  Last time I was in Leo’s, I strolled in with another guy in a suit.  Place got very, very quiet instantaneously; the ‘cue was great.  It was a long time ago, and we were the only white faces in the place, but folks pretty friendly once it was clear we only wanted food.  Funny experience, and one of my favorite restaurant memories.

Yeah it can get dicey in there for sure. COVID has pretty much closed them down. I think they do take out only. If you are ever back in the city try George’s happy hog. It’s a close second to Leo’s.