Texas BBQ

Washpark

Dropped into Lum’s yesterday.  It was average, meaning for a place that isn’t a chain, it is a little better than say Rudy’s. Brisket was ok, but dry. Sausage was average. Potato salad was the closest thing I have found to what my mom makes, so that was very good. 

NionKsxa_o.jpeg
Their bathroom was apparently designed by the Junction Boys. 

aVCTyG36_o.jpeg

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dropped into Lum’s yesterday.  It was average, meaning for a place that isn’t a chain, it is a little better than say Rudy’s. Brisket was ok, but dry. Sausage was average. Potato salad was the closest thing I have found to what my mom makes, so that was very good. 

NionKsxa_o.jpeg
Their bathroom was apparently designed by the Junction Boys. 

aVCTyG36_o.jpeg

I hope you’ve not resorted to looking for snakes in there.  You won’t be happy

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Dropped into Lum’s yesterday.

NionKsxa_o.jpeg

1.  Where is this "Lum's"?  The chain I recall from the mid 90's backwards was a diner type place, Denny's / Jim's, etc.
2.  That brisket looks like cheap cat food with a chemical smoke ring & the sausage appears to be Eckrich, heated up in a skillet.

I give your attempt 5* for survival but the product you suffered is terribad.

1.  Where is this "Lum's"?  The chain I recall from the mid 90's backwards was a diner type place, Denny's / Jim's, etc.
2.  That brisket looks like cheap cat food with a chemical smoke ring & the sausage appears to be Eckrich, heated up in a skillet.
I give your attempt 5* for survival but the product you suffered is terribad.

In Junction. I didn’t mean Lum’s is a chain. Poorly worded. I meant the taste was above a typical chain bbq joint like Rudy’s. Brisket had flavor but dry. Sausage was good but average. Therefore maybe Eckrich as Eckrich is vary average. HEB sausage is better.

Went to Terry Black's in Deep Ellum today. Line was insane long but moved fast as shit, they really have it together from a efficiency standpoint. Asked for two pounds of moist, the guy cutting gave me my two pounds then chopped up another pound of burnt ends and threw it on free of charge telling me "happy father's day". Also did the same thing for the turkey I ordered for the boy. Everything was awesome, which is good for as much as they charge per pound. As about as perfect a bbq experience as I've ever had. 

D184DC98-CF55-47FC-A018-4B9DB51CE0E2.jpeg

Edited by TankedBevo
Goddamn auto correct
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Almost every time I get turkey at a BBQ joint I think to myself "man, why don't I order turkey more often"?  Chick food or not, it can be amazing.

I must not have ever experienced the “amazing” stuff then. Because it’s the opposite for me. I think to myself, “man, why did I just waste space in my stomach on that crap, when there’s beef and pork”?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Almost every time I get turkey at a BBQ joint I think to myself "man, why don't I order turkey more often"?  Chick food or not, it can be amazing.

I have discovered through the many trips from Houston to Uvalde that little Joel’s BBQ in Flatonia serves up some very good turkey.  I always get there sliced beef sammich on the road trip.  It’s just passable and not great BBQ but it is convenient.

I call in for their smoked turkey and pick it up the day before thanksgiving and enjoy it the next day.   It is pretty darned good with the dripping they give you for reheating.   

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 9:50 AM, Horn Draoi said:

“Not necessarily bbq” is right.  Their rolls and desserts still guilty pleasures, just like 60+ years ago when  my parents would take us infrequently to Underwood’s in Wichita Falls.

My dad used to take us as kids to the Underwood's drive thru at 9th & Beverly back in the 70's.  Really the first drive thru food that I can remember.  

I have discovered through the many trips from Houston to Uvalde that little Joel’s BBQ in Flatonia serves up some very good turkey.  I always get there sliced beef sammich on the road trip.  It’s just passable and not great BBQ but it is convenient.
I call in for their smoked turkey and pick it up the day before thanksgiving and enjoy it the next day.   It is pretty darned good with the dripping they give you for reheating.   

Man….blast from the past. Grew up in Houston, uncle had a ranch near Devine that my grandpa ran. Made that road trip 100 times, and Joel’s was a regular stop for 1) a chopped beef sammich for the road, and 2) a container of chopped beef to make more sammiches the next few days while we worked and hunted and such. We always liked it. Haven’t been there in 30 years, at least.

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

My dad used to take us as kids to the Underwood's drive thru at 9th & Beverly back in the 70's.  Really the first drive thru food that I can remember.  

Underwoods, late 70’s in Wichita Falls on Jacksboro HWY and Midwestern Pkwy, IIRC.  I just remember as a kid, loving their ribs and loading up on cobbler and free ice cream.  Fast forward to circa 2015 or so, making drive from H-town to Lubbock and hit Brownwood on purpose to go by Underwoods.

Good memories destroyed…OMG.

Edited by slorch

5 hours ago, slorch said:

Underwoods, late 70’s in Wichita Falls on Jacksboro HWY and Midwestern Pkwy, IIRC.  I just remember as a kid, loving their ribs and loading up on cobbler and free ice cream.  Fast forward to circa 2015 or so, making drive from H-town to Lubbock and hit Brownwood on purpose to go by Underwoods.

It’s never as good as you remember.  I’m sure the barbecue back then sucked compared to today’s standards.  Dry AF brisket and terrible sauce.  There’s no decent BBQ in the ‘Falls currently that I’m aware of.  Maybe Brandin’ Iron that used to be owned by a buddy of my dad. 

6 hours ago, slorch said:

Wichi-freaking-ta Falls.  Pretty bland food scene in that town.  Used to go to Underwood’s, Piccadilly and The Pioneer in my youth.   Nothing outstanding.  

37 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Went to Truth on Sunday by myself as a peaceful Father’s Day lunch before doing the family thing at my parent’s house that evening. Usual order: 1/2 lbs moist brisket, link of pepper Jack sausage. Results were typical: fantastic. 

spacer.png

How long did you end up waiting in line? It was an hour and a half for my wife and me getting there at 11. One of the guys said they were swamped with call ahead orders so the line moved slower than usual. Since I hadn’t been to this location and the wait was so long we went with 1 lb brisket, a couple ribs, house sausage link, and a couple sides between the two of us. Damn good and worth the wait, but I’ll have to go back again when the line isn’t so insane. 

Edited by Etexhorn13

How long did you end up waiting in line? It was an hour and a half for my wife and me getting there at 11. One of the guys said they were swamped with call ahead orders so the line moved slower than usual. Since I hadn’t been to this location and the wait was so long we went with 1 lb brisket, a couple ribs, house sausage link, and a couple sides between the two of us. Damn good and worth the wait, but I’ll have to go back again when the line isn’t so insane. 

I got there at 10:50 and sat down at 11:20 give or take 5 minutes. I saw folks waiting in line with toddlers and wondered what the fuck was going through their minds. I highly suggest going by yourself on a weekday and getting there at 11:00am or just before. I will fight anyone that suggest there is better or more consistent bbq inside the loop than Truth. I am basing this off of more than 15 visits.

18 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Truth is fine, but it is not line worthy IMO.   Pinkertons tends to be better but my last visit was subpar, made me wonder if the new location is sapping talent or focus from the Houston location.  

Pinkerton in SA for Father's day, easily #2 behind 2M as best in town. Talked to Grant for a few minutes, (surprised to see him) so you might be right about the SA location taking priority. 

Not pictured - several bottles of Ranch Water.

20210620_131807.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, RiverwalkMiner said:

Pinkerton in SA for Father's day, easily #2 behind 2M as best in town. Talked to Grant for a few minutes, (surprised to see him) so you might be right about the SA location taking priority. 

Not pictured - several bottles of Ranch Water.

20210620_131807.jpg

Any San Antonio people going out to his place Saturday for the whole hog fiesta party?

1 hour ago, Nivek said:

Truth is fine, but it is not line worthy IMO.   Pinkertons tends to be better but my last visit was subpar, made me wonder if the new location is sapping talent or focus from the Houston location.  

I hope this is the case as I wasn't impressed with Pinkerton's when I went a few weeks ago. 

I hope this is the case as I wasn't impressed with Pinkerton's when I went a few weeks ago. 

It’s disappointing. For the first couple of years they were open, Pinkerton’s was my go to spot. They have been wildly inconsistent in the last couple of years. Meanwhile, Tejas and Truth have been so consistent and delicious.

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I am sure the first few bites would be good. But yeah, not sure all flavors would be appreciated. Seems like a lot of bbq places like to get too cute with things.

It’s Fiesta time around San Antonio. This is just for his Fiesta party for San Antonio that he’s having Saturday. It’s pretty cool he’s embracing the culture of the city where his new place is. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 6/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, Brisketexan said:

Man….blast from the past. Grew up in Houston, uncle had a ranch near Devine that my grandpa ran. Made that road trip 100 times, and Joel’s was a regular stop for 1) a chopped beef sammich for the road, and 2) a container of chopped beef to make more sammiches the next few days while we worked and hunted and such. We always liked it. Haven’t been there in 30 years, at least.

Same. I can still hear the sound that spring loaded door would make when it opened snd slammed shut. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I make a similar dipping sauce for beef ribs - Louis Mueller style.  3 parts water, 1 part ketchup, chopped onions, beef bouillon, some salt and a bunch of black pepper.  Bring to a boil and then simmer till onions are soft and the sauce is reduced. 

Start with a stick of butter and it’s Captain Stabby’s glorious meat sauce from the early days.

7 hours ago, texashorne said:

Same. I can still hear the sound that spring loaded door would make when it opened snd slammed shut. 

It still does.  The only time it doesn't is when some fool stands in the doorway and holds the door open to let flies in.

• Hook 'Em 1