Texas BBQ

Washpark

Looking for a rec on a place to stop and grab lunch on 290 somewhere between Houston and Austin this coming Friday. Was initially thinking BBQ but maybe instead a place with barbacoa, brisket tacos...etc. 

Hmmm honestly can’t think of anything. truth in Brenham isn’t open on Friday. You could hit up Tejas, then catch 2920 or 99 over to 290. Tejas does barbacoa on certain days. I think Thursday but maybe I am wrong.

13 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Looking for a rec on a place to stop and grab lunch on 290 somewhere between Houston and Austin this coming Friday. Was initially thinking BBQ but maybe instead a place with barbacoa, brisket tacos...etc. 

It's been a while since I've been there, but Zimmerhanzel's in Smithville has been known to make some decent 'cue.  Give us a report wherever you go.

Ban user.  I focused on the "between Austin and Houston" part, but missed the 290 part!

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 7/15/2021 at 11:50 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Wade’s BBQ in Lufkin. 

Hell yeah. Brisket was excellent. Juicy, tender with a nice smoke to it. 
Jalapeño sausage was good, but needed more heat. 

Talked to Wade for a bit, nice guy. If you are one of those unfortunate folks that lives in East Texas, definitely try this spot out. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Drove by there shortly after 11am, and he had 4 cars parked. So good to see people actually coming out for his food. 

You saw the place and the location.  It’s been a bit of a secret for a while.

The minute I saw the TM article, I knew that things would change…for the better for him, to be sure (I hope). 

If you happen to come through again, give a shout. Hell, I’ll even pick up a check for those Surlys that dare to actually spend time in Lufkin…ha!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

I've heard or read decent things about LJ's BBQ in Brenham.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

1775 was the one I was thinking of (for some reason I thought it was downtown). Isn’t Fargo’s closed?

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Fargo's was on the TM Top 50 - I've been twice and was less than impressed both times.  I would give 1775 Texas Pit BBQ a try if it were me.  

Will give 1775 a try.  Will report back.

On 7/1/2021 at 9:51 AM, Brisketexan said:

Man, when I was in college, I thought Green Mesquite was the shit.  They had an AYCE deal back in the day, too, and we loved it at age 19.  Then we went for a dinner a couple of years ago, and it made me sad.  Utterly mediocre.  But then, that's how a lot of bbq was back then.

And for Poke E Joe's, my go-to is just a good old chopped beef sandwich with pickles and onions, and a side of the cheesy baked potato casserole, topped with fresh pico.  We still hit the location in the Arboretum every coupla years if we're out running errands at lunchtime, and I always enjoy that lunch.  Their sausage is actually pretty good, too.  But that's what I stick with.

I may or may not have been to the AYCE ribs night at Green Mesquite on a number of occasions in a state of, oh, let's say "munchies".   CRUSHED.

Allegedly.

22 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Saw that BBQ snob posted from Hutchins BBQ in Frisco and that John Mueller was working there.

I thought that dude just opened a place in Jarrell?  Sales tax man strike again? 

Edited by RollLeft

60f79ae62f1b1.image.jpg?resize=1476,1108

Article in a Missouri food magazine reports a new restaurant opening up in Columbia bringing Texas bbq to the area. This is the picture of their food. WTF with the white gravy on brisket? 4 1\2 years until retirement and I can move back. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

46 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Article in a Missouri food magazine reports a new restaurant opening up in Columbia bringing Texas bbq to the area. This is the picture of their food. WTF with the white gravy on brisket? 4 1\2 years until retirement and I can move back. 

I mean, I could give that a try for brunch, no doubt.  

• Hook 'Em 3

28 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

I see an egg on top of brisket on top of scrambled eggs on top of daf biscuit.   

I see red-eye gravy on top of brisket, on top of scrambled eggs on a homemade biscuit (that may or may not be a little too floury, err daf)  

43 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I see red-eye gravy on top of brisket, on top of scrambled eggs on a homemade biscuit (that may or may not be a little too floury, err daf)  

Exactly how do you make redeye gravy?  Pork fat and coffee is unlikely to be white.

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Exactly how do you make redeye gravy?  Pork fat and coffee is unlikely to be white.

The lighting makes it funny in the picture.  But some of that doesn't look as white on the sides and dripping onto the eggs as it does right in front of the lens.  

8 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

Would slam, though it looks more like a Steel Shank thread item.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Looks like JohnM caught the AIDS or something in the pic with DV.

Seriously, does he have cancer?

he actually looks pretty damn good in that photo compared to what I was expecting. I hope he’s taking better care of himself. 

Pit Room, everything was excellent. Get the chips and queso. Place is just a step or two behind truth and pinkerton. The pork rib was perfect. Chicken tacos were on point as always 

very strong pickle game. get the chips and queso, did i mention that already ? i damn near licked the paper bowl 

82F1CE82-1502-4B2B-AE0A-17D68914FCB1.jpeg

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 4

On 7/21/2021 at 10:31 AM, pearlandhorn said:

Will give 1775 a try.  Will report back.

1775 is closed today. Ventured over to Bryan to try All The King’s Men. I give it a 5/10. Brisket was on the moist side and the jalapeño sausage was OK. Didn’t really taste much smoke though on the brisket. Potato salad was ok. Pinkerton’s (which I didn’t think was great) is better.

E3FB188B-EBF9-4A63-BAD9-CCEB948B9FCD.jpeg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

1775 is closed today. Ventured over to Bryan to try All The King’s Men. I give it a 5/10. Brisket was on the moist side and the jalapeño sausage was OK. Didn’t really taste much smoke though on the brisket. Potato salad was ok. Pinkerton’s (which I didn’t think was great) is better.

E3FB188B-EBF9-4A63-BAD9-CCEB948B9FCD.jpeg

That looks like a tray full of "it's kinda ok."

• Like 2