Texas BBQ

Washpark

Well, rolled the dice today and lost. Figured I would try a new place near my office. I should have just gone to Corkscrew. 

Gessner’s Grub BBQ Co.  Photos online were promising. The restaurant itself looked the part.  But the food was mediocre at best. Honestly, I would have been better off at Rudy’s. I’ll just let the photo speak for itself. Highly doubtful I give them a a second chance.  Only in the office 2 days a week and always walk over to a place for a salad. I’ll stick with that from now on. 

q2WTMHLD_o.jpeg

Headed to Port A for a long weekend. Driving from Fort Worth. 

I'm debating to either stop at Louie Mueller in Taylor, 2M in San Antonio or a place yall can recommend. I will drive 35, 183 whatever it takes.

It's been many years since I've been to Mueller's. Never been to 2M. I've been to all the spots in Lockhart and Luling. Also to Baker Boys in Gonzales and Brett's in Rockdale.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing a spot. For times sake, I should probably avoid the greater Austin area spots.

I'm debating to either stop at Louie Mueller in Taylor, 2M in San Antonio or a place yall can recommend. I will drive 35, 183 whatever it takes.
It's been many years since I've been to Mueller's. Never been to 2M. I've been to all the spots in Lockhart and Luling. Also to Baker Boys in Gonzales and Brett's in Rockdale.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing a spot. For times sake, I should probably avoid the greater Austin area spots.

I feel 2M is better than Baker Boys and Brett’s.

For something else new, try Butter’s in Mathis (open tomorrow, not sure when you are leaving). However, 2M, in my opinion, is also better than Butter’s.

Edit:

You could also go to Leroy and Lewis in Austin. There shouldn’t be a line today or tomorrow around 11am. Beef cheeks are excellent as is the sausage.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I agree with 2M or LeRoy & Lewis.  Just know that L&L only serves brisket on Saturday and Sunday - beef cheeks and whole hog are the typical proteins, both are great.
Valentina's TexMex Barbecue would be another great meal.

Yeah, those are my preferred spots in Austin, Valentina’s and L&L. Not sure how the line will be at Valentina’s since they are doing in person ordering again.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Jerry Callo said:

I agree with 2M or LeRoy & Lewis.  Just know that L&L only serves brisket on Saturday and Sunday - beef cheeks and whole hog are the typical proteins, both are great.

Valentina's TexMex Barbecue would be another great meal. Or Micklethwait Craft Meats.

Look at where you'll be around 11:00.  If you are leaving early, 2M might be the best bet.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:15 AM, dmtx said:

Looks like I didn't see this in time, but I HIGHLY recommend Smokin Oak BBQ in Taylor.  Its a trailer at the old Taylor High, which they have turned into a shopping and dining area. 

I admit that I am biased, since I grew up with the guys who run it, but to me it blows places like Louie Mueller's way out of the water.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

they’re not brisket, though. 

Chicken is not brisket either.

Nor are pork ribs.

Nor are fajitas, which can not be chicken or pork.

Nor are kolaches, which can not be meat-filled.

Vodka martinis, on the other hand, are at least debatable.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, gurt said:

Looks like I didn't see this in time, but I HIGHLY recommend Smokin Oak BBQ in Taylor.  Its a trailer at the old Taylor High, which they have turned into a shopping and dining area. 

I admit that I am biased, since I grew up with the guys who run it, but to me it blows places like Louie Mueller's way out of the water.

My traveling Q buddy & I were very disappoint in Mueller around 2 weeks ago.  Will have to try this shop next time I'm in Hutto, etc.

& I have around a 21.5 year history with Mueller in Taylor.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Stopped by Hecho en Texas in Cameron today. Very good brisket and cheaper than most places these days.  I think it was $21 for a lbs of brisket.  I also tried the pork/jalapeño/cheese sausage. Enjoyed it.  Nice spot. 

spacer.png

Pickles and tortillas look to be on point. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, elfenix said:
On 9/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, utee94 said:
Nor are pork ribs.

You lost me at vodka martinis

I hear you, but since gin is really nothing more than juniper-flavored vodka, I can go either way on this one.

On 10/2/2021 at 4:50 AM, RMac5 said:

My wife picked up 3lbs of chopped brisket from Evie Mae’s in Lubbock yesterday, was ninety fucking bucks. I thought it was a mistake so I checked their online menu, shows $28/lb.  That’s fucking insane.

Yeah, paying $28/lb for chopped beef is... pretty crazy.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:06 PM, elfenix said:
On 9/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, utee94 said:
Nor are pork ribs.

You lost me at vodka martinis

A martini is gin plus a variable amount of vermouth plus an odd number of olives (never an even #!).  Those vodka variants should be renamed-how about “pussywash?”

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Horn Draoi said:

A martini is gin plus a variable amount of vermouth plus an odd number of olives (never an even #!).  Those vodka variants should be renamed-how about “pussywash?”

Yeah that's one way to look at it.

But, since gin is really nothing more than juniper-flavored vodka, all martinis are made from vodka. :)

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 12:11 AM, ROFL BOX said:

My traveling Q buddy & I were very disappoint in Mueller around 2 weeks ago.  Will have to try this shop next time I'm in Hutto, etc.

& I have around a 21.5 year history with Mueller in Taylor.

I've *never* had anything near Top 10 BBQ there in the 5ish times I have been there - tried everything and it's always been mediocre. I know a TON of people have had great experiences I just have always gotten them on a less good day I think.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Roegel’s and Brett’s being on that list but not Tejas is an unforgivable offense.

Yeah.  The absence of Tejas was concerning to me.  They didn't just pick places at random, they used a metric giving up to 10 points for brisket, 10 points for other meats/specials, 10 points for sides/dessert, and 5 points for experience.  Tejas didn't rank in the Top 10 in any of those categories because it was in my Top 5 of the 2017 TM Top 50.  I've never had Brett's and I thought Roegel's was fine, but probably not in my top 20.  The others on their list that I have tried are legit.  I might try to get by Burnt Bean in Seguin this Sunday on the way to a soccer game in Schertz.

Yeah.  The absence of Tejas was concerning to me.  They didn't just pick places at random, they used a metric giving up to 10 points for brisket, 10 points for other meats/specials, 10 points for sides/dessert, and 5 points for experience.  Tejas didn't rank in the Top 10 in any of those categories because it was in my Top 5 of the 2017 TM Top 50.  I've never had Brett's and I thought Roegel's was fine, but probably not in my top 20.  The others on their list that I have tried are legit.  I might try to get by Burnt Bean in Seguin this Sunday on the way to a soccer game in Schertz.

Tejas is still in my top 5 for brisket and sausage (probably #1 for sausage). Their barbacoa tacos are great too. Not sure how it doesn’t make that list.

Been to Roegel’s about 5 times. Like you said good, but not in my top 20 either.

Brett’s is a similar story.

Burnt Bean was very good. Worth a stop. Also, if 1701 isn’t in the new TM top 50, that will be some bullshit.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Went to Snow's last weekend.  Line was insane.  I've never seen it that long.

Food was worth it, though.  Snow's always delivers in the flavor department.  Had my nephew's GF with and she mentioned that sometimes places get so hyped that when you get there you're disappointed...and she was NOT disappointed.

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Went to Snow's last weekend.  Line was insane.  I've never seen it that long.

Food was worth it, though.  Snow's always delivers in the flavor department.  Had my nephew's GF with and she mentioned that sometimes places get so hyped that when you get there you're disappointed...and she was NOT disappointed.

Well, I'm disappointed you didn't post pics of nephew's GF.

Oh, wait, Ag with kids...

sheep.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Tejas is still in my top 5 for brisket and sausage (probably #1 for sausage). Their barbacoa tacos are great too. Not sure how it doesn’t make that list.

Been to Roegel’s about 5 times. Like you said good, but not in my top 20 either.

Brett’s is a similar story.

Burnt Bean was very good. Worth a stop. Also, if 1701 isn’t in the new TM top 50, that will be some bullshit.

i am actually interested in your top 5-10 spots

i am actually interested in your top 5-10 spots

I don’t think they would be that different than a lot of folks’ top 5. I also don’t get up to Dallas much so besides Pecan Lodge, I haven’t been to any of the highly regarded spots up that way.

I don’t know if I could put them in order, but these are my favorites:

Tejas
Truth
2M
Valentina’s
Leroy & Lewis

Places I would include in top 10 but have only been once or twice:

Burnt Bean
Evie Mae’s

Rounding out 10:

Willow’s (Really anxious to check out the new spot he will be cooking at when it opens)
Pinkerton’s (the first couple of years this was my go to place in Houston, but they have dropped off in my opinion)
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, futureman said:

curious, when did you arrive and when did you sit down to eat?

The normal time we arrive on gameday weekends - 0945 or so.  Usually there's a bit of a line but this one stretched all the way to the back.  Sat down to eat at 1130.

Only 2 briskets left after we got our food.  And a bit of sausage.  Chicken ran out at 0848 (they write it on a sign by the door).  All sides were gone.