Texas BBQ

Washpark

On 10/2/2021 at 4:50 AM, RMac5 said:

My wife picked up 3lbs of chopped brisket from Evie Mae’s in Lubbock yesterday, was ninety fucking bucks. I thought it was a mistake so I checked their online menu, shows $28/lb.  That’s fucking insane.

if they sliced it off a brisket, then chopped it in front of you. that's the going rate 

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

if they sliced it off a brisket, then chopped it in front of you. that's the going rate 

If they sliced it off a brisket, chopped it in front of you, and then added tons of water weight by saucing it which is exactly what chopped beef is in Texas, and then they weighed it afterward, then you're getting ripped off.

If they weighed it before saucing it, then the rate is fine.  But I'd have just taken the sliced brisket without the sauce, in that case.

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone help me out.. there used to be a BBQ place on Westgate just off 290 frontage road, where the Thai Buffet or some such is now, up until the early 90's I think.  Their catering was pretty good.  As I remember they were a Pok-e-jo's or something that purposely sounded like it.  Anyone remember?  Thx.

On 10/10/2021 at 8:39 AM, phdhorn said:

Someone help me out.. there used to be a BBQ place on Westgate just off 290 frontage road, where the Thai Buffet or some such is now, up until the early 90's I think.  Their catering was pretty good.  As I remember they were a Pok-e-jo's or something that purposely sounded like it.  Anyone remember?  Thx.

The Pit BBQ

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2021 at 8:39 AM, phdhorn said:

There actually is a Pok-e-Jo's still in that area.  

I had an occasion to pass through Forney last week.  So I stopped at 4T based on its mention by Texas Monthly in the last list.  Bark on the brisket was nice, but the smokiness from the hickory was pretty overpowering (and I like smokey).  I don't think they're serving high choice, much less prime.  Not terrible by any means, but not great either.  Spare ribs were pretty good.  Jalapeno sausage was nothing to write home about.  Mac n cheese with bacon was on point.  On the upside, I only spent $35 and learned a lesson about Texas Monthly's 4* ratings.

TM Top 50 comes out next week.  I'm not about to guess which joints will make the list, but I do have five that shouldn't make it this time (not including any of the ones that shut down since 2017):  

4-T's Bar-BQ - Forney

Smolik's Smokehouse - Mathis

Heavy's Bar-B-Que - Hondo

Fargo's Pit BBQ - Bryan

Payne's Bar-B-Q Shak - Burnet

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

TM Top 50 comes out next week.  I'm not about to guess which joints will make the list, but I do have five that shouldn't make it this time (not including any of the ones that shut down since 2017):  

4-T's Bar-BQ - Forney

Fargo's Pit BBQ - Bryan

Payne's should have been good, but I've never had a good meal there. They were holding brisket in a crock pot last time I went and haven't been back since.

Another one that should be off the list? Coopers in Llano. 0 for about 4 years at this point.

Edited by NoName
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Payne's should have been good, but I've never had a good meal there.

Another one that should be off the list? Coopers in Llano.

Payne's was the worst on the 2017 list in my opinion.  I wouldn't put Cooper's on the list either, but I'd be surprised if they aren't on it again.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was passing through Lockhart and stopped at Black's last week.    It was almost like they didn't put any seasoning on the brisket at all and cooked it in an oven, the bark had no flavor at all.   Tenderness was pretty good but I had to drown it in sauce so it would have some flavor.   The ribs were the same way, no flavor.    

• Rage+1 1

19 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

4-T's Bar-BQ - Forney

Fargo's Pit BBQ - Bryan

Agh. All of this hate on 4Ts breaks my heart. I had them last week while checking on the rental house and they were great. Love that they don't use post oak. But their menu has shrunk a bit. They don't do pulled pork or many of their old specials like chicken bombs. 

If any joint needs to drop from the list, it's Heim. They are so far gone it's insane. Pecan Lodge has seen a drop in quality from my perspective but nothing even close to what they're going through. But they invented the bacon burnt end so they'll never drop....

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:
Agh. All of this hate on 4Ts breaks my heart. I had them last week while checking on the rental house and they were great. Love that they don't use post oak. But their menu has shrunk a bit. They don't do pulled pork or many of their old specials like chicken bombs. 
If any joint needs to drop from the list, it's Heim. They are so far gone it's insane. Pecan Lodge has seen a drop in quality from my perspective but nothing even close to what they're going through. But they invented the bacon burnt end so they'll never drop....

I didn't hate it.  But I was trying to give it an honest assessment since I hadn't seen it mentioned on here.  I like hickory and have smoked with it in combination with other woods for years.  But it was pretty overwhelming last Wednesday at 4T, and the extra saltiness really brought it out for me, and not in the best way.  I also asked for a quarter pound of lean off the flat and a quarter pound off the point and got two thick slices off the point.  And, yeah, I get that that bottom part is the flat, but that's not really what I asked for, but not the end of the world. 

Here's a picture for posterity.

b2fc85e8f71875968328ec635f8bd007.jpg

Edited by dcbc

Payne's should have been good, but I've never had a good meal there. They were holding brisket in a crock pot last time I went and haven't been back since.
Another one that should be off the list? Coopers in Llano. 0 for about 4 years at this point.
Some guy posted pics from Cooper's in Llano the other day and the brisket looked boiled. Amazingly he was bragging about how great it was. I guess that's why these places stay in business.

25 minutes ago, Okie State said:
23 hours ago, NoName said:

Some guy posted pics from Cooper's in Llano the other day and the brisket looked boiled. Amazingly he was bragging about how great it was. I guess that's why these places stay in business.

Coopers is only in business because of the name. If they were called Smith's they would have gone out of business years ago

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

Coopers is only in business because of the name. If they were called Smith's they would have gone out of business years ago

It isn't that difficult.  They have all of the infrastructure set up, good smoke, fully rendered meats. It just seems that they have forgotten that when it comes to barbecue rub, Black pepper > Kosher salt.

4 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It isn't that difficult.  They have all of the infrastructure set up, good smoke, fully rendered meats. It just seems that they have forgotten that when it comes to barbecue rub, Black pepper > Kosher salt.

Last time I went, they were touting their higher temperature smoke.  I'm not sure that's something to tout.  It was "fine", but not enough to justify the drive, other than the fact it got me out of Austin.

On 10/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, futureman said:

cooper’s isn’t as great anymore as it is in my memories but they can still deliver a solid tray of meat every now and then. 

The north FW location has NEVER delivered imho.  Having worked on the northside for 21 years and eaten there for company lunches, I did not ever think the hype surrounding Cooper's was deserved.  Never went to Llano in their heyday, but somehow they lost their mojo.

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Second visit to Feges new location. Very delicious lunch. Kind of funny that they fulfill a 1/2 lb order of brisket as one big ass slice. 

image.thumb.jpeg.648340093265c7772708fd9e4599ea61.jpeg

That's like bizzaro world cutter preference for me.  A 1/2 lb of moist should be three slices, and I like sausage unsliced so I can break it apart myself (no knife needed).  I eat all BBQ proteins with my hands anyway.

What's the wait like at Truth in the Heights since the list came out? Have a friend coming in from out of town who wants to try it.

I might be able to answer that tomorrow. The line has largely been avoidable since the pandemic started. Well, weekdays at least. But I am sure there will be a bump in patronage.
  • Like 1