Texas BBQ

Washpark

Interesting.  I don't think I've ever cooked chuck roast such that I could slice it.  I've always braised & shredded it for pot roast, shredded beef tacos, etc.  Was it tough?
First five minutes of
explains where and how L&L gets chuck meat for its sliced beef.

Probably could not get and results with a regular chuck roast.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The smashburger at Panthercity BBQ has  double brisket patties  for a buck cheaper.  Wonder if Will Churchill taking over has anything to do with the change in the Heimburger?  As far as their lower prices on meat at Heim, same as it ever was like David Byrne said.

10 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

It's $31/lb after the price cut? Jesus, what was it before? I've never been there based off the general tone of this thread regarding Heim so I have no fucking clue. 

It was $31/lb before the "price cut". Heim is just full of shit 

• Haha 1

I didn't take a picture of the LeRoy & Lewis menu with the prices, but its not cheap.  I know the brisket, which is only available on Saturdays, was $40/pound.  The $23 two meat plate had an upcharge of $2 for sliced beef and $3 for brisket.

• Hook 'Em 2

Stopped by Opie's on the way to a concert Saturday evening and it was surprisingly good.  I wasn't planning on ordering brisket since it was 5:30 but they were out of almost everything else.  Moist with great flavor. Tater tot casserole and banana pudding slammed.

38 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

I didn't take a picture of the LeRoy & Lewis menu with the prices, but its not cheap.  I know the brisket, which is only available on Saturdays, was $40/pound.  The $23 two meat plate had an upcharge of $2 for sliced beef and $3 for brisket.

I mean I get it.  I bought four briskets for Easter (prime from Sams) and they were right at $70 each. But sheesh its just crazy when you think about it. 

35 minutes ago, DallasSooner said:

I mean I get it.  I bought four briskets for Easter (prime from Sams) and they were right at $70 each. But sheesh its just crazy when you think about it. 

Yeah, but they weighed what, 15 lbs or so?  Put me in the camp of not buying the "inflation adjusted" BBQ prices.  Some of it is just demand.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, but they weighed what, 15 lbs or so?  Put me in the camp of not buying the "inflation adjusted" BBQ prices.  Some of it is just demand.

LeRoy says that finished brisket amounts to 36% of the total.  L&L use almost every piece for different things:  burgers and tallow primarily.  Watching their various videos - it appears that L&L has very little waste.

Here is a video of his brisket yield test:

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Driving from DFW to NW Austin (Lakeway area) Thursday, leaving the airport around 9:30. What’s good off 35 between say Waco and Round Rock? Could always do Cedar Park’s Stiles Switch but it’s out of the way for this endeavor. 

I ask like I won’t also eat 20 kolaches from the Czech Stop ..

23 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Driving from DFW to NW Austin (Lakeway area) Thursday, leaving the airport around 9:30. What’s good off 36 between say Waco and Round Rock? Could always do Cedar Park’s Stiles Switch but it’s out of the way for this endeavor. 

I ask like I won’t also eat 20 kolaches from the Czech Stop ..

Interstellar BBQ on 620 is really good (Texas Monthly #2 in 2021) and should be right on your way. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Interstellar BBQ on 620 is really good (Texas Monthly #2 in 2021) and should be right on your way. 

If time isn't an issue, I'd 2nd Interstellar but take the westerly route (via 67/281).  Adds 30 minutes.  Avoids Waco, which should be done at all costs.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

got some folks in from out of state and want to take them to get some good bbq for early supper today. we're in central austin.  it seems like every time i drive by Black's it's slammed. Anyone tried to go there early dinner time lately?  any other spots you can rec?

34 minutes ago, Gale Snoats said:

got some folks in from out of state and want to take them to get some good bbq for early supper today. we're in central austin.  it seems like every time i drive by Black's it's slammed. Anyone tried to go there early dinner time lately?  any other spots you can rec?

Really the only decent BBQ joints near central Austin that have true dinner dining room hours are Terry Black's on Barton Springs and Stiles Switch on North Lamar.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Gale Snoats said:

I've been there once, and it was packed, but we got through the line quickly.  I'd guess it was 10-12 minutes from patio to payment.

That said, I've had better Q at Stiles Switch.

Had another decent meal at Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.   Brisket, pork ribs, jalapeño slaw, Serrano fried Brussel sprouts, chessy tater tot casserole, and smoked Buffalo wings.

Not outstanding like many of the top places, but it's nice to be able to get good barbecue on a Saturday night when everyone else has already closed. 

Saved one slice of brisket for breakfast and most of the wings to eat later today during the Austin FC match. 

20240413_185447.thumb.jpg.38577f0735a7b9686a18d62507fdec6a.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't know how y'all get so many sides.  When I'm eating BBQ, I want meat (and beer).

We often split 2 or 3 meat plates.  I usually get coleslaw unless the place uses a sweet dressing.  Half of the tater tot casserole and half of the Brussel sprouts were taken home.

I think a good vinegar based slaw balances the fattiness of the meats.  I make and keep serrano slaw dressing and shredded cabbage at the house which makes an easy addition to complete meals.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 4/14/2024 at 7:59 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Had another decent meal at Stiles Switch in Cedar Park.   Brisket, pork ribs, jalapeño slaw, Serrano fried Brussel sprouts, chessy tater tot casserole, and smoked Buffalo wings.

Not outstanding like many of the top places, but it's nice to be able to get good barbecue on a Saturday night when everyone else has already closed. 

Saved one slice of brisket for breakfast and most of the wings to eat later today during the Austin FC match. 

20240413_185447.thumb.jpg.38577f0735a7b9686a18d62507fdec6a.jpg

Those Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite side dishes in BBQ and I really don't like vegetables 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, DallasSooner said:

Those Brussel sprouts are one of my favorite side dishes in BBQ and I really don't like vegetables 

Brussel sprouts as a bbq side is clutch. Truth in Houston has sweeter profile, while burnt bean does a little saltier with Parmesan dusting. Never liked Brussel sprouts but oh buddy…. It’s a nice little mix up from the standard Mac and cheese

For reasons passing understanding I’ve agreed to a meeting in Marlin, TX next week. Coming from Dallas area…any suggestions?

249ae163c4bc2c0bb8fa13fe1cad58ff.jpg

South on 45, take hwy 14 at Richmond. Stop on Mexia right on 14 at wrights bbq but don’t get a plate. Just order as many chip beef sandwiches as you can stomach and fit in your cooler. Or turn left on 84 and go to Jim’s krispy fries chicken where Anna Nicole worked.

Take a dump in Groesbeck because fuck the goats.

19 hours ago, Frank The Tank said:

For reasons passing understanding I’ve agreed to a meeting in Marlin, TX next week. Coming from Dallas area…any suggestions?

You could try Victorians Barbecue in Mart if you are going Th-Sat.  I have a review up thread which was not great.  However, another poster had good experience with them at another location.  I'd love to hear another review - it could have been a bad day the one time I went.