Texas BBQ

Washpark

34 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Count me out on thick slabs of brisket.  First time I encountered it was at Freedmen's (? think that was the name) in West Campus.  It was only about 1/2" thick, though.  I sure don't want a brisket steak.

It's definitely not absolute in terms of the reasons why.  I've had thick slices that were fantastic.

However, some slice it thick to hide deficiencies.  People are compelled to then use a fork and a knife to cut and eat, which is also a way of hiding deficiencies.  If you can't pick up a slice of brisket, no matter how large it is, and let it fall apart or gently pull apart with your hands, it's probably not worth eating there unless you like the cornbread or mac and cheese that much.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Technically, Truth is in the heights. Not that I care or even want to call anything south of I10 “the heights.”

Technically, it's not.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/defining-the-houston-heights-9452060

Even under the broadest of conceptual boundaries, anything south of Washington isn't considered the Heights.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2

11 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Truth isn’t in the heights.

Sigh.  The one on S. Heights near Washington Ave., east of Memorial Park (29.771312972505434, -95.39734609638008).

/Native Houston.  Admittedly, I should have known better.  But the TM article flub of this got stuck in my head.  Mea culpa. 

Edited by dcbc

7 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Technically, it's not.

https://www.houstonpress.com/news/defining-the-houston-heights-9452060

Even under the broadest of conceptual boundaries, anything south of Washington isn't considered the Heights.

What is it though?  I saw something on a map that said "Rice Military," but I've never heard of that before.  I know Montrose isn't claiming it?

If I were trying to describe that location, I'd probably say Washington Avenue area.

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, dcbc said:

What is it though?  I saw something on a map that said "Rice Military," but I've never heard of that before.  I know Montrose isn't claiming it?

If I were trying to describe that location, I'd probably say Washington Avenue area.

It is known:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Military,_Houston

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I tried to go to Truth yesterday.  Admittedly I knew it was going to be a shitshow as it was already 11:30.

That being said, their parking is an abomination.  

Ended up going to Gatlin's as I hadn't been there either.

Won't be going back anytime soon.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but the brisket was dry af on my sliced sandwich.  I asked for a mix of lean/moist...it was mostly lean...and shitty at that.

Potato salad and coleslaw were good.  The Mac n Cheese was not.  Way overcooked and just a cheesy mush.

My wife's wings were good though.

I also regret not getting the smoked bologna sandwich....maybeI'll go back for that?

On 10/21/2021 at 7:07 AM, dcbc said:

What's the wait like at Truth in the Heights since the list came out? Have a friend coming in from out of town who wants to try it.

Alright, here is the data from my recon mission today. 

Pulled up at 10:40am and the lot was pretty full, but only about 5 people in line.  So I went to get in line and that got some people out of their cars. I was 7th in line with a few behind me. By 11am when they opened the doors, it looked like this, which if you have been there before means it’s about 50-60 people deep:

image.thumb.jpeg.a529a93ef5a60d1846d224ebb0e94246.jpeg

Lunch was delicious  

image.thumb.jpeg.cfd7f657a1ff907ab9f901a1fb76558b.jpeg

when I left at 11:30, the line was still long, but ended at the awning.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

37 minutes ago, Mittens said:

First line I've ever encountered at Leroy & Lewis today.  Got there at 11 expecting as much.  Was 25ish back and it took 45min or so to get through.  Used to walking up at 1145, 1 or 2 others in front of me and being back in my truck by noon.

Pork tenderloin and citrus hop sausage, dirty duck rice, braised cabbage and sausage, beef cheeks. A+ as always.

IMG_2330.jpg

people love complaining about them not having brisket every day, but who cares. I will happily take this + beef cheeks every. single. day.

they are good dudes to top it off (and hiring if anyone is looking for a job)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Alright, here is the data from my recon mission today. 

Pulled up at 10:40am and the lot was pretty full, but only about 5 people in line.  So I went to get in line and that got some people out of their cars. I was 7th in line with a few behind me. By 11am when they opened the doors, it looked like this, which if you have been there before means it’s about 50-60 people deep:

image.thumb.jpeg.a529a93ef5a60d1846d224ebb0e94246.jpeg

Lunch was delicious  

image.thumb.jpeg.cfd7f657a1ff907ab9f901a1fb76558b.jpeg

when I left at 11:30, the line was still long, but ended at the awning.

Thanks for the report.  Passed the info along to my friend.

• Like 1

Ate at Moreno BBQ today. They got an honorable mention in this years edition of Texas Monthly rankings. It was fantastic. Got a half pound of moist, two pork ribs and a link of jalapeño cheddar. Brisket was fantastic, but I felt it could have had a little more smoke. But very well cooked. Ribs were tender with a sweet and spicy rub. And sausage was great. Nice snap on the casing when I bit into it. Check them out if you’re in south Austin. They’re at manchaca and stassney.

5e9f4948c3c4e40f30fd4f6371082020.jpg
591eff31460cef55fd6a9c92b22bf83f.jpg
68d2f20d34232994b71c3822d5c86cdc.jpg

I need to check this out
  • Drool 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:14 AM, Tylerocks said:

I tried to go to Truth yesterday.  Admittedly I knew it was going to be a shitshow as it was already 11:30.

That being said, their parking is an abomination.  

Ended up going to Gatlin's as I hadn't been there either.

Won't be going back anytime soon.

Maybe I caught them on a bad day, but the brisket was dry af on my sliced sandwich.  I asked for a mix of lean/moist...it was mostly lean...and shitty at that.

Potato salad and coleslaw were good.  The Mac n Cheese was not.  Way overcooked and just a cheesy mush.

My wife's wings were good though.

I also regret not getting the smoked bologna sandwich....maybeI'll go back for that?

I went to Gatlin's today. Ordered moist brisket, smoked bologna, and a 1/4 # of each of their sausage offerings. Brisket was okay. I ended up using their sauce on it, which I almost never do. The bologna was good, but I got the feeling that it did not come off the smoker today. The sausage was probably the best thing I ordered. I particularly liked the spicy and the venison. Mac and cheese was not overcooked. I actually thought it was the best I've had at a bbq place. It was definitely better than what I've had from Pinkerton's and Brett's. The potato salad was good as well. Overall, I put them well below Truth, Tejas, Corkscrew, and Pinkerton's. Unfortunately for them, they are farther from my place than Truth and about the same distance as Pinkerton's. So I can't see myself going back very often. 

10 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I went to Gatlin's today. Ordered moist brisket, smoked bologna, and a 1/4 # of each of their sausage offerings. Brisket was okay. I ended up using their sauce on it, which I almost never do. The bologna was good, but I got the feeling that it did not come off the smoker today. The sausage was probably the best thing I ordered. I particularly liked the spicy and the venison. Mac and cheese was not overcooked. I actually thought it was the best I've had at a bbq place. It was definitely better than what I've had from Pinkerton's and Brett's. The potato salad was good as well. Overall, I put them well below Truth, Tejas, Corkscrew, and Pinkerton's. Unfortunately for them, they are farther from my place than Truth and about the same distance as Pinkerton's. So I can't see myself going back very often. 

their bbq chicken, when done right, is superb !!!!

On 10/22/2021 at 12:52 PM, irishtexan said:

Ate at Moreno BBQ today. They got an honorable mention in this years edition of Texas Monthly rankings. It was fantastic. Got a half pound of moist, two pork ribs and a link of jalapeño cheddar. Brisket was fantastic, but I felt it could have had a little more smoke. But very well cooked. Ribs were tender with a sweet and spicy rub. And sausage was great. Nice snap on the casing when I bit into it. Check them out if you’re in south Austin. They’re at manchaca and stassney.

5e9f4948c3c4e40f30fd4f6371082020.jpg
591eff31460cef55fd6a9c92b22bf83f.jpg
68d2f20d34232994b71c3822d5c86cdc.jpg

that sausage looks good, no homo 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Seconded on Gaitlin’s chicken. I like Feges chickens a little better, but both are excellent. 

While I like Roegels, their chickens can be a little rubbery. 

I’ve gaitlin’s catered bbq 3 times and all 3 times it was damn good. I mean people licking their plates 

Driving down to SA tomorrow at some place but for a funeral on Fri. Not sure when I’m hitting the road from Dallas. Wouldn’t mind hitting some bbq on the way down and back. I’m planning to leave SA around 9-ish on Sat. I don’t mind waiting a bit for a Top 10 or 50 spot but don’t want to spend hours.

Leroy & Lewis
Franklin (only been to food truck in old days!)
Burnt Bean
Brett‘s Backyard
Others??

11 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Driving down to SA tomorrow at some place but for a funeral on Fri. Not sure when I’m hitting the road from Dallas. Wouldn’t mind hitting some bbq on the way down and back. I’m planning to leave SA around 9-ish on Sat. I don’t mind waiting a bit for a Top 10 or 50 spot but don’t want to spend hours.

Leroy & Lewis
Burnt Bean
Brett‘s Backyard
Others??

Pinkerton's

2M

8 hours ago, C-Man said:

Leroy & Lewis
Burnt Bean
Brett‘s Backyard
Others??

if you are in SA you absolutely need to hit up 2M

6 hours ago, C-Man said:

I’ve been to 2M. It’s great. My bbq eating will be while on the road to and from.

cancel that, you have been there.

///

Leroy & Lewis is great, and one of my favorites spots in Texas. If you haven't been there, you should go.

Edited by NoName

3 hours ago, NoName said:

if you are in SA you absolutely need to hit up 2M

cancel that, you have been there.

///

Leroy & Lewis is great, and one of my favorites spots in Texas. If you haven't been there, you should go.

2 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Leroy and Lewis. In fact, that sounds like a wonderful idea for tomorrow.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. I probably won't get on the road until around noon or 1. That gets me rolling through Austin between 3-4. Probably will not have had lunch. Thought I'd stop off there and grab a late lunch/early dinner and then finish up the drive.

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. I probably won't get on the road until around noon or 1. That gets me rolling through Austin between 3-4. Probably will not have had lunch. Thought I'd stop off there and grab a late lunch/early dinner and then finish up the drive.

I think the line has been crazy at L&L now that the new top 50 dropped. Keep that in mind. And then selling out.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I think the line has been crazy at L&L now that the new top 50 dropped. Keep that in mind. And then selling out.

Yes, I know the new list has changed the equation, at least temporarily, which is why I threw the question out. Website says L&L is "open" until 9, right? Are they really running out of the day's food at lunch currently?

This is from L&L:

"Currently showing up at 11 am makes sure the line is pretty short, but if you don’t mind waiting, as long as you’re in line by 1:30 pm – 2 pm you’ll likely get food.  Uber/Lyft are def recommended, but there is street parking along surrounding streets: Krebs, Lessin, and Alpine. We do not currently have an online ordering option or a call ahead pre-order option. To ensure you get what you want we recommend showing up at or before 11am. Only other comment would be that we only serve brisket on Saturday and Sunday. Asking about it does not make it magically appear haha.”

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, C-Man said:

Leroy & Lewis
Burnt Bean
Brett‘s Backyard
Others??

Are you new around here?