Texas BBQ

Washpark

4 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Bryan Bingham, Sunbird in Longview pitmaster who was formerly at Bodacious on Mobberly, posted on IG yesterday for the first time in his life he has tweaked the way he smokes his briskets. He said the guy at Goldees convinced him to do so. 

Said he trimmed, using a binder, did rub and then put a water pan in the pit. Someone around Longview needs to go check it out cause his brisket was phenomenal already. 

It's been on my list of things to do to drive over there.  I'll see what next week looks like.

• Hook 'Em 2

Tried an uncomplicated and relatively inexpensive barbecue joint this evening. No line, no waiting. Hello Sweetie! in Georgetown.

Brisket and sausage were pretty good. Pulled pork was fine. Chicken wasn't great. Pork rib was hard to judge since it was an end piece, but it wasn't tough and wasn't over cooked. Collard greens were great. Fried cabbage and coleslaw weren't good.

Next time, I'll get a two meat combo with brisket, sausage, and double greens.

7722981691405ffdfbd144c6041150b3.jpg50a3773e8ab7ba1562e79d7478bbf97c.jpg4ca762d552756d5e3ec01c785c9376ab.jpg655e9de26d35659e8f1e64dfaf56d986.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

I find it laughable that anyone would say it's wrong to order park BBQ west of the Mississippi.  It ain't hard to cook.

I’m sorry but a smoked pork chop ain’t barbecue. In my opinion neither is that whole hog shit they eat in the Carolinas. I like a good smoked pork chop but that Carolina hog mush is shit.

Generally if I find pulled pork in Texas it will be over cooked, under seasoned, and swimming in sauce. Ribs are usually unpeeled, untrimmed, and often under seasoned and undercooked, and tough and gnarly.

There’s no need to get all bent out of shape about it. Certain things are better in some places than others. You won’t find decent TexMex when you leave the state except in a rare instance.

Barbecue is a very regionalized set of varying foodways. Texas barbecue comes from a different set of traditions and the best pork here is in sausage. Beef sucks in the east. In west Kentucky they are fruity for fucking mutton; it’s awful. When I lived in Oregon they would have fucking salmon on the bbq menu. Fuck no. It’s no big deal,

57 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Tried an uncomplicated and relatively inexpensive barbecue joint this evening. No line, no waiting. Hello Sweetie! in Georgetown.

Brisket and sausage were pretty good. Pulled pork was fine. Chicken wasn't great. Pork rib was hard to judge since it was an end piece, but it wasn't tough and wasn't over cooked. Collard greens were great. Fried cabbage and coleslaw weren't good.

Next time, I'll get a two meat combo with brisket, sausage, and double greens.

7722981691405ffdfbd144c6041150b3.jpg50a3773e8ab7ba1562e79d7478bbf97c.jpg4ca762d552756d5e3ec01c785c9376ab.jpg655e9de26d35659e8f1e64dfaf56d986.jpg

Those prices look reasonable.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, Steel Shank said:

Not saying Franklin's is overly complicated, just used it as an example of a place I won't visit because of the lines. If you think the similarities to Starbucks are not accurate, that's fine. If anything can start an argument, it's BBQ. I'm just saying from my where I'm standing, it seems a lot like the Starbucks mania.

The last time I ate at a BBQ place that I can recall was about 9 months ago I had a Real Deal Hollyfield breakfast burrito at Valentina's. It was about 9:00am on a weekday, so no line to speak of. It was damn tasty. With a Dr. Pepper, it set me back $14.

I've owned a large smoker since '94, so I do my own cooking. Probably not as good as some of the pros, but a lot cheaper and comes with all the cold Bud Light I can drink.🍻

much like starbucks, you can order ahead at franklins and it's significantly easier.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:21 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

Truth, Tejas, Pinkertons, Bretts, J Bar M, Pit Room, Killens all better than Roegels. Roegels is Feges, Papa Charlies, Gatlins level. Solid cue, but only eating there if im hungry and in the area

At least if you go to Snow's for breakfast on Saturday you can always drive 15 minutes north and get Brett's. So it makes that drive out there better at least.

Hays County BBQ yesterday.  Excellent cue.   Brisket off the fat end, 2 pork ribs and the knife on the block guy threw on the burnt ends after meat was taken off the scale (I can’t help it if people like me, my magnetic, charming personality and good looks).

Plain white onion and common pickle chips were on point.  Creamy tater salad was good.   No tortillas.  Bottled beer.  Big Red soda water on tap. 

596919DD-3E9F-484C-9237-D0D64CAD5675.jpeg

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

Going to Rejino's in Olton today to pick up some Cue for my mom's 84th birthday.

Their being listed in the Top 50 is one of those things that I was happy about for them, but sad for me...LOL.  Longer lines and quicker "Sold Out" signs.

To say Olton, Texas is a bit remote is an understatement.  It just happens to be slightly off the beaten path when I go visit Momma.  They are good folks and make a great product if y'all are ever up here on the Llano...

1 hour ago, slorch said:

Going to Rejino's in Olton today to pick up some Cue for my mom's 84th birthday.

Their being listed in the Top 50 is one of those things that I was happy about for them, but sad for me...LOL.  Longer lines and quicker "Sold Out" signs.

To say Olton, Texas is a bit remote is an understatement.  It just happens to be slightly off the beaten path when I go visit Momma.  They are good folks and make a great product if y'all are ever up here on the Llano...

how far are you from Olton?

Not sure if it has been mentioned (probably so), but Burnt Bean Company BBQ in Seguin is outstanding.  Got in line at 10:00 this morning, doors opened at 11:00.  Favorite meat was the bone-in pork chop.  Favorite side was the barbacoa dirty rice.  Really nice people working there and will definitely be going back some day.

• Like 1

Not sure if it has been mentioned (probably so), but Burnt Bean Company BBQ in Seguin is outstanding.  Got in line at 10:00 this morning, doors opened at 11:00.  Favorite meat was the bone-in pork chop.  Favorite side was the barbacoa dirty rice.  Really nice people working there and will definitely be going back some day.

Fantastic BBQ. No shit, I literally just sent a text to my dad that I want to meet him there next Friday.

Also:

I Fucking love all the “Tex Mex” bbq places that have popped up. They get 100% support.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Barbacoa dirty rice sounds like floating on a cloud of titties.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

hutchins has gone berzerk
$34/pound

Damn.

I am sympathetic to restaurant owners, but shit is getting absurd. Maybe it is time to switch to less expensive beef and show how your bbq skills are superior than your competition.

I will never stop supporting Texas BBQ. Never. But if this continues, many places will close because of overhead, cost, etc. and that sucks, but it doesn’t have to be that way.

In Arlington, MillsMade Barbecue recently opened on Little Rd, about ten minutes from #1 Goldee’s in Kennedale. It’s a small joint having been a ton of joints going back to Jacksons Grocery which had killer burgers back in the 80’s.

Anyway Travis Mills has the right approach for today’s realities. It’s ten tables. No beer. Mostly takeout. Not the cheapest place but cheaper than Heim. Which is where Travis worked a few years. The brisket had a solid ring and nice smoke, and my Tennessee bride loved the pulled pork. Sausage and sides were very good.

4 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

$34/pound

Something is wrong when I can get a solid 16 Oz steak for less than 16 Oz of brisket. Brisket is the leftover cut after the desirable cuts are all gone. It was always the poor man's food and never supposed to be expensive.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Something is wrong when I can get a solid 16 Oz steak for less than 16 Oz of brisket. Brisket is the leftover cut after the desirable cuts are all gone. It was always the poor man's food and never supposed to be expensive.

Thank you tacos al carbon.   White people killed skirt steak option too...

On 1/22/2022 at 1:06 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Sorry but these are two different and separate barbecue cultures and they each have their fine points. One should never order beef east of the Mississippi (actually east of Little Rock but whatever) or pork the other way.

Central Texas pork barbecue is generally a dried out tough gnarly mess. I’ve had it all over and the best, Tootsie’s pork steaks at Snow’s, I’d not get again. And Melissa Cookson, the top pitmaster in Memphis, makes a brisket that is better than Dickeys but it’s not close to average Texas brisket.

recent developments where you see brisket in Memphis joints and “pulled pork” in Texas is unfortunate.

You should take this to the “unpopular opinions” thread. Tons of places in Texas make outstanding pork bbq. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Native Horn said:

I took my son here before he had to go back to UT for the Spring semester. Agree on everything. People were super nice. The brisket was on point and pork ribs were outstanding.

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

At a decent steakhouse?  Isn't that steak gonna be $50 or more?

Not to argue that $34/lb for brisket isn't insane, even cooked.  At the store, a good choice ribeye is probably 3X per pound as a good choice brisket (something like $12/lb VS $4/lb).  The markup at some BBQ joints seems way out of whack.

You should take this to the “unpopular opinions” thread. Tons of places in Texas make outstanding pork bbq. 

Sorry as a native Texan who lived two decades in Memphis you don’t have a clue what great pork barbecue is. They don’t know how to smoke a brisket in Memphis either. It’s not the same. This guy has decent pork but its not anywhere near average Memphis pulled pork, much less the great spots. Made my wife happy but her memory has faded. These are two separate barbecue cultures and both should be respected and maintained apart.

I’m a fourth generation German American from South Texas so I 100% know what great pork bbq is. Many of my ancestors brought forth smoking techniques that have been passed down and we still use today. You’re correct that a lot of the pigs butchered were used in sausage but they were smart enough to know some prime cuts that were better for smoking. Nothing was wasted so smoking ribs has been around forever. I prefer the Texas style with large amounts of coarse black pepper, and yes I’ve had smoked pork all over the Southeast. We even use the head of the hog to make German “pannas”.  Maybe we have different tastes and you prefer something else but your blanket statement on pork is just an opinion. My opinion comes from a deep tradition, telling me I don’t have a clue comes off as pretty arrogant. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I’m glad for your strong Texas heritage and I have great respect for the traditions of German immigrant butchers and grocers in creating Texas barbecue. I have an equal respect for the barbecue traditions of the Mississippi delta which are very different.

Most pork barbecue in Texas has been added to menus of joints that have it to placate folks from elsewhere, cooking it like a brisket which results in dry tough pork, or they cook it like a braise resulting in a pork mush with too much sauce. Many use loins instead of shoulders. As for ribs I don’t like untrimmed ribs with chine bones and gnarly shit, and they are usually unpeeled. I’ve also been served boiled ribs which is a nasty practice.

I am not saying there isn’t decent smoked pork in Texas but I’ve yet to find anything close to the top joints in Memphis. I don’t think it’s a bad thing that both can do great things with one thing and not the other.

39 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I’m a fourth generation German American from South Texas so I 100% know what great pork bbq is. Many of my ancestors brought forth smoking techniques that have been passed down and we still use today. You’re correct that a lot of the pigs butchered were used in sausage but they were smart enough to know some prime cuts that were better for smoking. Nothing was wasted so smoking ribs has been around forever. I prefer the Texas style with large amounts of coarse black pepper, and yes I’ve had smoked pork all over the Southeast. We even use the head of the hog to make German “pannas”.  Maybe we have different tastes and you prefer something else but your blanket statement on pork is just an opinion. My opinion comes from a deep tradition, telling me I don’t have a clue comes off as pretty arrogant. 

denzel washington GIF

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Most pork barbecue in Texas has been added to menus of joints that have it to placate folks from elsewhere, cooking it like a brisket which results in dry tough pork, 

What would you say is the secret of midwest pork shops that are smoking shoulder (not loin) but not in such a way as to dry it out?  Less time on the smoke?  Spritzing with juice/water/marinade?  Wrapping after X hours?  Other?

I've smoked many a pork shoulder and I can't think of any that weren't fantastic.  Maybe I got lucky, or maybe it's that old thing about the difference between a one-off back yard operation and a commercial operation cranking out a hundred pounds or more per day.

Edited by jimmyjazz

On 1/29/2022 at 8:28 PM, Hagbard Celine said:

$34/pound

I been feeling like prices going up but every morning when they open up the door if there is a line they know they can continue to raise prices.  Until they open the door and there isn't a line the price can stand to increase.  I don't have a huge problem with the big increase in brisket prices we have seen but damn when I go to the grocery store and pork is still cheap and you're selling pulled pork for $20+ a pound I got to wonder if it's truly the pandemic causing all of this. 

Barbecue is a tough biz to make a dime in which is why until recently it was a small joint focused business. It is a killer on all the costs lines: meat, labor, fuel. Add in any wastage and you’re done.

So if you’re using a stick fueled pit your oak is through the roof. You gotta burn for 14 hours or more. Labor is expensive. And your food costs are nuts. Especially if you’re dependent on prime briskets and beef ribs.

Paying $34 a pound for brisket is nuts. Either figure out how to make an edible choice or prison grade brisket or move folks to other meats. Cook a goat or two.

What I see charged for pulled pork, chicken, and fucking sausage should be an embarrassment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1