Texas BBQ

Washpark

13 hours ago, futureman said:

I remember that.  sparked quite the shaggy outrage. 

Why would that cause outrage? I wish that guy was my friend cause I'd be reaching right over and taking it right off his plate. No permissions asked and no apologies made.

Would you also be outraged if your buddy walked down the street throwing $100 bills around?

Also, I went to Truth in Houston last weekend for the first time. Had brisket and pork ribs and beans and potato salad.

Honestly? The brisket was WAY too salty and I love salt so many would have found it inedible. I know it was just a heavy hand on my piece but nonetheless.

The rib was steamed too much and literally just fell off when you tried to pick it but yet there were still thick layers of unrendered fat. Tasted OK but the texture was off.

We're making our annual pilgrimage to Snow's next weekend. Both sides of my family are from Lexington and we go every July for my little sister's birthday who rests there with five generations of my ancestors. It's a nice little reunion every year and a great excuse to see Ms Tootsie and Kerry, (and Jo who works inside and used to babysit us when we were little).

Let's eat!

• Like 2

Finally had Franklin a couple of weeks ago.  My friend picked up a whole vacuum sealed brisket and we reheated it later that evening.  It was perfect and probably the best brisket I've ever had.  Pickup is definitely the way to go.  She said the whole process took like 5 minutes.

Edited by kevwun
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevwun said:

Finally had Franklin a couple of weeks ago.  My friend picked up a whole vacuum sealed brisket and we reheated it later that evening.  It was perfect and probably the best brisket I've ever had.  Pickup is definitely the way to go.  She said the whole process took like 5 minutes.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Looked like 2-3 weeks out for sliced meats on the pre-order.  You can also get a warm whole brisket about a week out I think.  On the website you have to choose what you want before it gives the available days/times and they will differ depending on if you want it all sliced and prepared or are getting whole brisket, ribs, etc.

18 hours ago, michaelpshayes said:

food was very very good for west Texas BBQ 

had brisket, sausage and their brisket stuffed jalapeno poppers +their loaded potato (which had at least 3/4 of pound of brisket on it) 

super nice people got my food in 5 minutes ..

2j1u26d.jpg

95ueya.jpg

That brisket looks fantastic

Franklinz' didn't disappoint. Fatty brisket was the best and ribs were quite good as well.

Random but while we were waiting for our order to be put together, chef Roy Choi walks up and is handed a big box of meat.  Something tells me he didn't pre-order the same way I did.  Probably just texted Aaron.

12 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

Franklinz' didn't disappoint. Fatty brisket was the best and ribs were quite good as well.

Random but while we were waiting for our order to be put together, chef Roy Choi walks up and is handed a big box of meat.  Something tells me he didn't pre-order the same way I did.  Probably just texted Aaron.

Nope, rules are the same for everyone.  Even Obama had to wait in line...or was it Trump...or Jimmy Kimmel?

Nope, rules are the same for everyone.  Even Obama had to wait in line...or was it Trump...or Jimmy Kimmel?

Perhaps. He came from the restaurant side so was probably mingling with the crew. They didn't call his name or anything but maybe it was just special service. Nobody offered to carry my food to the car for me.

On 7/19/2019 at 3:26 PM, kevwun said:

Pickup is definitely the way to go.  She said the whole process took like 5 minutes.

Negative. They rent the restaurant out after hours. I think its $50/head, 100 head minimum. That is the way to go. Entire restaurant to just your group, all you can eat, and then when they are done, they box up the leftovers and you take whatever you want home. Fucking fantastic. Pickup is second best way to get Franklin.

Wednesday and Thursday shouldn’t be an issue if you show up when they open or shortly after. Friday I would try and get there a bit before opening.

This. By 11:15 there is a line down the building.

Moves pretty quickly I guess.

On 7/10/2019 at 5:08 PM, AustinMT said:

They need to get away from Magnolia 

they have a trailer inside the fences at Magnolia, too...sandwiches and other stuff rather than the straight Q they serve by Hecho.  they're doing okay.

the brick and mortar is on Franklin...it'll help for sure.

but for now, a simple 2 block walk from my office puts me at their current trailer without a long line, and i'm okay with that.

• Like 1

A client of mine up in Cincinnati is hosting me and his team that I work with at his house tonight for a little get together before all day meetings rest of week. I'm bringing one of the pre-cooked and vacuum-sealed Franklin's briskets up for it, and he's providing beer and good bourbon (interested to see what that means - they are right by Kentucky).

Any thoughts on how to reheat it for best results in under two hours? Franklin's tells you to put it in a 250 degree oven foiled with some butter until it's 165, which I've done before on Thanksgiving to really good results. However you lose all snap on the bark. Client has a Traeger and seems to want to show it off. Which, LOL, reminds me of the time a channel partner in Philly took me to a Mexican food restaurant. But it's all good. If we unwrap and crank the heat on the grill for the last 20-30 minutes, will it bring some bark texture back without screwing it up?

Edited by BradInATX

44 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

A client of mine up in Cincinnati is hosting me and his team that I work with at his house tonight for a little get together before all day meetings rest of week. I'm bringing one of the pre-cooked and vacuum-sealed Franklin's briskets up for it, and he's providing beer and good bourbon (interested to see what that means - they are right by Kentucky).

Any thoughts on how to reheat it for best results in under two hours? Franklin's tells you to put it in a 250 degree oven foiled with some butter until it's 165, which I've done before on Thanksgiving to really good results. However you lose all snap on the bark. Client has a Traeger and seems to want to show it off. Which, LOL, reminds me of the time a channel partner in Philly took me to a Mexican food restaurant. But it's all good. If we unwrap and crank the heat on the grill for the last 20-30 minutes, will it bring some bark texture back without screwing it up?

I have a Traeger, and have done the Franklin vacuum-pack.  Take out of refrigeration for about an hour.  I did a redneck sous vide to get it up to temp (took a couple of hours before I tested the temp).  then remove from bag and throw it on the Traeger (I use a standard 225 setting) and firm up the bark — monitor the internal temp to make sure it’s not going to dry out.  Don’t leave it on too long.

I’ve done this 3 times with good results.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

I have a Traeger, and have done the Franklin vacuum-pack.  Take out of refrigeration for about an hour.  I did a redneck sous vide to get it up to temp (took a couple of hours before I tested the temp).  then remove from bag and throw it on the Traeger (I use a standard 225 setting) and firm up the bark — monitor the internal temp to make sure it’s not going to dry out.  Don’t leave it on too long.

I’ve done this 3 times with good results.

Perfect - thanks. Any idea the temps and time that you started/finished it on the Traeger? I was thinking of throwing it on around 150, which should give it 30-45 minutes on the smoker before it hits 165.

Edited by BradInATX

21 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Perfect - thanks. Any idea the temps and time that you started/finished it on the Traeger? I was thinking of throwing it on around 150, which should give it 30-45 minutes on the smoker before it hits 165.

I wouldn't want to add any more smoke to the brisket.  Especially not pellet smoke when Franklin has done his magic to it.  Just put it in an oven at 200ish wrapped, with a thermometer until you get internal back up to 155 or 160 or whatever, then put it on the hot traeger just for a few minutes to get there bark firmed back up. 

• Like 1

If Aaron Franklin wanted you to firm up the bark on his brisket, his reheat instructions would say that

Eh. Client really wants to try and I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid screwing it up. If you had a client who was as important to your annual revenue as this one, you'd happily throw a pork butt in the crock pot with liquid smoke if that's what they asked for. But thanks.

2 hours ago, pops said:

I wouldn't want to add any more smoke to the brisket.  Especially not pellet smoke when Franklin has done his magic to it.  Just put it in an oven at 200ish wrapped, with a thermometer until you get internal back up to 155 or 160 or whatever, then put it on the hot traeger just for a few minutes to get there bark firmed back up. 

I did about 30 minutes and it was fine.

And Champ has his opinions, but I doubt he has re-heated a cryovac brisket in a Traeger,.  So  while I will admit he knows a lot more than me about BBQ, I do know something about manipulating a brisket on a Traeger, which was what was asked.  

Oh, and he's needlessly snarky about it as well.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AustinMT said:

And Champ has his opinions, but I doubt he has re-heated a cryovac brisket in a Traeger,.  So  while I will admit he knows a lot more than me about BBQ, I do know something about manipulating a brisket on a Traeger, which was what was asked.  

I've heated up at least 10 Franklin briskets on a Traeger and you are wrong. 

*sanctimonious
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Eh. Client really wants to try and I'm trying to figure out the best way to avoid screwing it up. If you had a client who was as important to your annual revenue as this one, you'd happily throw a pork butt in the crock pot with liquid smoke if that's what they asked for. But thanks.

i get it, but just know that you are going to make it worse by adding heat that way in an unsealed environment.

the *best* way to reheat it alone IMHO is going to be Sous Vide.

no matter how you reheat it it isn't going to be as good as it would be right off the smoker. you will have a trade off if you heat it up SV then throw it on a pellet grill to "firm up the bark" - as long as you know that going into it, more power to you.