Texas BBQ

Washpark

1 minute ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pork butt is about the easiest meat to cook, so its not something I order out a bunch.  I generally to a 11-12 pound butt and use some for pulled pork and some for carnitas.  Had carnitas last night as a matter of fact.

It’s typically when I’m getting an order to go, and have them throw in a half pound of pulled pork.  

I ate at Helberg’s today and it was good. I don’t think Guess is as good since it moved into the permanent location.
i used to eat at Guess pretty often but not so much anymore. 

I agree Guess moved a notch down when they opened their brick and mortar location. But still best bbq in Waco. Did brunch there a few weekends ago and thought they knocked it out of park. I think they are still balancing running a profitable restaurant with still producing quality barbecue. Reed, the owner, knows how to cook.

I was not overly impressed w Helberg when I went. Thought it was overpriced would not rush to go back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

I agree Guess moved a notch down when they opened their brick and mortar location. But still best bbq in Waco. Did brunch there a few weekends ago and thought they knocked it out of park. I think they are still balancing running a profitable restaurant with still producing quality barbecue. Reed, the owner, knows how to cook.

I was not overly impressed w Helberg when I went. Thought it was overpriced would not rush to go back.

Helberg:

• Brisket - $20 / lb
  • Pork Ribs - $16 / lb
  • Turkey - $16 / lb
  • Sausage - $12 / lb
  • Half Chicken - $12
  • Sides - personal, $2.50 / pint (16 oz), $5.50 / quart (32 oz), $10 
  • Chopped Beef Sandwich: $8
  • Sausage Sandwich: $7

Guess:

• Brisket - $24 / lb
  • Baby Back & Spare Ribs - $18 / lb
  • Turkey - $20 / lb
  • Sausage - $5 per link
  • Half Chicken - $8.50
  • Sides - 8 oz, $4 / pint (16 oz), $8 / quart (32 oz), $14 
  • Chopped Beef Sandwich: $8.50
  • Sausage Sandwich: $9

Guess is pretty much more expensive across the board, with the exception of the Half Chicken. I tried to pick apples to apples comparisons here. 

Both of those places are pretty close to in-line price wise with other craft BBQ spots around Texas. 

39 minutes ago, NoName said:

Helberg:

• Brisket - $20 / lb
  • Pork Ribs - $16 / lb
  • Turkey - $16 / lb
  • Sausage - $12 / lb
  • Half Chicken - $12
  • Sides - personal, $2.50 / pint (16 oz), $5.50 / quart (32 oz), $10 
  • Chopped Beef Sandwich: $8
  • Sausage Sandwich: $7

Guess:

• Brisket - $24 / lb
  • Baby Back & Spare Ribs - $18 / lb
  • Turkey - $20 / lb
  • Sausage - $5 per link
  • Half Chicken - $8.50
  • Sides - 8 oz, $4 / pint (16 oz), $8 / quart (32 oz), $14 
  • Chopped Beef Sandwich: $8.50
  • Sausage Sandwich: $9

Guess is pretty much more expensive across the board, with the exception of the Half Chicken. I tried to pick apples to apples comparisons here. 

Both of those places are pretty close to in-line price wise with other craft BBQ spots around Texas. 

I will clarify.  I thought it was overpriced for the quality of BBQ comparatively to Guess Family.  To me, Helberg is middle of the road at best.  I think Guess Family is far better and worth the price for good que. 

I think we can both agree on the fact Waco did not have any decent options until the last few years and am glad they both are here.  

Edited by PorscheGuy

1 hour ago, PorscheGuy said:

I will clarify.  I thought it was overpriced for the quality of BBQ comparatively to Guess Family.  To me, Helberg is middle of the road at best.  I think Guess Family is far better and worth the price for good que. 

I think we can both agree on the fact Waco did not have any decent options until the last few years and am glad they both are here.  

interesting take - i disagree re: Helberg, but Guess is excellent...we can agree on that!

Both were in BBQ Snob's Top 25 new spots in TX: https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/top-25-new-barbecue-joints-texas/

Edited by NoName

Helberg’s order process is a pita as well, they ask you what sides and condiments you want before you order the Q. They place those items on the tray that goes to the cutter. The brisket was good not great, also i would have preferred they trimmed the fat down more. You can see it here in the picture. d94c71a15dc7a3a715cb8cfd9b2062f1.mov

12 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

Ate at Heim in FW today, preferred it over both Guess and Helberg’s. Heim has a ton of meat options. Had a half pound of lean brisket and a quarter both of turkey and black pepper sausage. 0b567cee07dbacdeb450ddedefb90392.mov

My cousin used to work there. Never been though. I've heard good things - I would hope that it's at least as good as Waco's best. Pic looks fine.

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pork butt is about the easiest meat to cook, so its not something I order out a bunch.  I generally to a 11-12 pound butt and use some for pulled pork and some for carnitas.  Had carnitas last night as a matter of fact.

A blind chimp cross-bred with a potato can make good pulled pork.

• Like 2

Had some Black's brisket, ribs, and sausage shipped to me a month ago.  Tossed the brisket in the freezer and, having read the reviews about the modern era of the joint, wasn't expecting much.  But warmed it up in the sous vide, sliced it up for dinner tonight, and it was pretty solid.  Not the best I've ever had, but not bad at all.

12 hours ago, dcbc said:

Had some Black's brisket, ribs, and sausage shipped to me a month ago.  Tossed the brisket in the freezer and, having read the reviews about the modern era of the joint, wasn't expecting much.  But warmed it up in the sous vide, sliced it up for dinner tonight, and it was pretty solid.  Not the best I've ever had, but not bad at all.

You talking original Black's in Lockhart (and not any of the various offshoots in other towns)?

If so, then I'm not sure what reviews you're reading, but it's definitely (and by far) the best brisket in Lockhart.  Kreuz is average, and Smitty's brisket is completely inedible disgusting shoe leather, which is sad because for a long time it was my favorite.

22 minutes ago, utee94 said:

You talking original Black's in Lockhart (and not any of the various offshoots in other towns)?

If so, then I'm not sure what reviews you're reading, but it's definitely (and by far) the best brisket in Lockhart.  Kreuz is average, and Smitty's brisket is completely inedible disgusting shoe leather, which is sad because for a long time it was my favorite.

Yes.  And I could have sworn I'd read some disappointing reviews here at some point.  At any rate, it was tender and tasty for sure.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dcbc said:

Yes.  And I could have sworn I'd read some disappointing reviews here at some point.  At any rate, it was tender and tasty for sure.

Folks around here have certainly said Lockhart ain't what it used to be, and I'd agree.  The combination of a deterioration in quality in Lockhart (I'm looking especially at you, Smitty's) and an increase in quality of BBQ in Austin and many other cities and towns around the state, have diminished the reputation of Lockhart BBQ in general.

But Black's is still quite tasty, IMO, especially their brisket.

• Like 4

Folks around here have certainly said Lockhart ain't what it used to be, and I'd agree.  The combination of a deterioration in quality in Lockhart (I'm looking especially at you, Smitty's) and an increase in quality of BBQ in Austin and many other cities and towns around the state, have diminished the reputation of Lockhart BBQ in general.

And their beef rib...

Since none of you fucks wanted to help, I ended up at the Fill Station in Lake Jackson. My pops and I ordered some brisket and sausage. Brisket was dry as fuckity fuck. There were a few fatty pieces that were actually pretty good. But 95% of what they gave us was way too dry. Flavor wasn’t bad but had to use sauce to choke it down. Sausage was as average as average gets.

zZTj3gbA_o.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Since none of you fucks wanted to help, I ended up at the Fill Station in Lake Jackson. My pops and I ordered some brisket and sausage. Brisket was dry as fuckity fuck. There were a few fatty pieces that were actually pretty good. But 95% of what they gave us was way too dry. Flavor wasn’t bad but had to use sauce to choke it down. Sausage was as average as average gets.

zZTj3gbA_o.jpeg

That is a sad plate of Que

9 hours ago, HoustonHorn said:

City Market today was significantly better than it has been the last few trips. Sausage were on point. Brisket and ribs was solid.

Damn that’s great to hear. Before the bbq revolution / franklin bbq trailer, that was my fave spot. Their sausage is still my fave 

• Like 1

Was in Lockhart this week and was steered by the locals to Blacks. Can’t speak to the decline of the other joints but can second Black’s still holding up.
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Valentina’s was goddamn excellent today. Brisket was perfect. And not being a smartass, those tortillas are so good I could probably eat a dogshit taco if it was made with their tortillas.

KSz4r4P8_o.jpeg

Sounds like a Surly challenge is in order.

Stopped at Evie Mae's yesterday on the way to Santa Fe. Got there about 12:30 to what looked like a pretty long line. Ended up being 20 minutes because of how efficient they are.

Everything was great - brisket, burnt ends, green chilie cheese sausage, jalapeño creamed corn, jalapeño corn bread, pinto beans, baked potato casserole, and peanut butter pie.

If they're open when I'm going through Lubbock, I'm stopping.

556e23f06306bbf88f185befa949272d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 7:04 PM, RollLeft said:

Has Jim started at Dozier's yet?  I had the Q there the other day and the only thing i had that resembled Jims work was the brisket.  Ribs, sausage and sides did not resemble anything I know of the man.   

You need to read the whole story here and even on texasmonthly.com and chron.com.  As I understand it, Champ serving Buck's Q at Dozier's is not the gig.  Champ running the whole Dozier operation and maintaining and improving the Dozier's Q is the gig.  I've been eating at Dozier's for over 42 years.  I'll eat at Dozier's all I can manage while keeping my eyes and ears open for the next opportunity to eat Buck's Q.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Heisenberg said:

You need to read the whole story here and even on texasmonthly.com and chron.com.  As I understand it, Champ serving Buck's Q at Dozier's is not the gig.  Champ running the whole Dozier operation and maintaining and improving the Dozier's Q is the gig.  I've been eating at Dozier's for over 42 years.  I'll eat at Dozier's all I can manage while keeping my eyes and ears open for the next opportunity to eat Buck's Q.

I don't need to do any of the sort.  I was clear before.  It was a simple question.  Has he started there?  Ribs were daf and parts were jerky like.  Sides are still bland.  It ate as it always has, for years, mediocre.  Besides, letting him stock the bologna i hope the olds will let go and let Jim have some real room to do what he does best.  

Edited by RollLeft

If you read the sources I mentioned, you would know the exact date that Champ took over.  I'd like to see it become "Dozier's Country Market and Deer Processing featuring Buck's Barbecue" and I believe I will live to see it.  I hope the fancy plates and table service don't make it back; I'm more of a order in line and butcher paper type Q consumer.