Texas BBQ

Washpark

I only live a half mile from Whitfield's, so thought I would give it a shot today.  They opened at 11:00.  I arrived at 11:30 to find 3 people in line.  Normally, I would try brisket, pork ribs, and sausage on a first visit, but they apparently don't do sausage, so I was prepared to make do with the former two.  It took 15 minutes for the first two people to order, while others were still waiting for theirs to be filled.  No numbers are used to identify people.  Casey has to simply remember who ordered what, which didn't appear to be working very well.  Finally, the person in front of me was up, and was told that they only had 1/2 pound of ribs left, which he of course took.  Seriously? 

The sparse crowd eating on the premises, and the slow pace of service did not indicate that the place had been slammed since opening.  It's possible one of the first people in line ordered 20 pounds of ribs to go, but even so, when you only have 3 proteins by the pound on the menu (pulled pork was the third), and run out of one of them 45 minutes after opening on a Saturday, you need to get your shit together.  There is one smallish smoker on site, so maybe they are content to serve 20-30 people and call it a day. 

Maybe if they had some decent sides other than pickled seasonal fruits and veg, I would have stuck around, but I left without ordering.  The Whataburger I went and picked up instead was excellent.  I realize they just opened, so I will probably give them another chance on a whim while driving home sometime, but for planned 'cue dining, I will likely drive the extra 5 miles to Valentina's.     

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I only live a half mile from Whitfield's, so thought I would give it a shot today.  They opened at 11:00.  I arrived at 11:30 to find 3 people in line.  Normally, I would try brisket, pork ribs, and sausage on a first visit, but they apparently don't do sausage, so I was prepared to make do with the former two.  It took 15 minutes for the first two people to order, while others were still waiting for theirs to be filled.  No numbers are used to identify people.  Casey has to simply remember who ordered what, which didn't appear to be working very well.  Finally, the person in front of me was up, and was told that they only had 1/2 pound of ribs left, which he of course took.  Seriously? 

The sparse crowd eating on the premises, and the slow pace of service did not indicate that the place had been slammed since opening.  It's possible one of the first people in line ordered 20 pounds of ribs to go, but even so, when you only have 3 proteins by the pound on the menu (pulled pork was the third), and run out of one of them 45 minutes after opening on a Saturday, you need to get your shit together.  There is one smallish smoker on site, so maybe they are content to serve 20-30 people and call it a day. 

Maybe if they had some decent sides other than pickled seasonal fruits and veg, I would have stuck around, but I left without ordering.  The Whataburger I went and picked up instead was excellent.  I realize they just opened, so I will probably give them another chance on a whim while driving home sometime, but for planned 'cue dining, I will likely drive the extra 5 miles to Valentina's.     

I would never go back

12 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Insanely large sirloins do not belong in the Texas BBQ thread.  Check out Tyler's in Amarillo if you want to try some barbecue.

Thanks & I will most assuredly do just that (swing through Amarillo), in about a month's time from now..!

Last night I got some brisket to go from a joint that I won’t mention, but anyway I get home, open the box, and all the crust had been trimmed off. What kind of bitchass move is it to do that? This is only the second time this happens to me. The first time I was at Rudy’s in Corpus, and I’m watching the guy cutting the brisket, and I see that he starts slicing all the delicious burnt tasty fatty crust, and I’m like what’s going on here? Too shocked to react. Fuck that. I need to remember next time I buy brisket to give instructions not to fucking cut anything out.

2 hours ago, XYZ said:

Last night I got some brisket to go from a joint that I won’t mention, but anyway I get home, open the box, and all the crust had been trimmed off. What kind of bitchass move is it to do that? This is only the second time this happens to me. The first time I was at Rudy’s in Corpus, and I’m watching the guy cutting the brisket, and I see that he starts slicing all the delicious burnt tasty fatty crust, and I’m like what’s going on here? Too shocked to react. Fuck that. I need to remember next time I buy brisket to give instructions not to fucking cut anything out.

That exact same thing happened to me at a place called Old House BBQ in Lewisville.  Pretty ridiculous.  Needless to say, I never went back.

This morning we went to Valentina's for some breakfast tacos.  The line wasn't bad - about 20 minutes.  I had the Real Deal Holyfield and I enjoyed the hell out of it.  It's a nice slice of brisket, bacon, an egg over easy, beans, and potato.  I highly recommend it.

First time I saw that was at Salt Lick as I was hanging out by the cutter checking things out while waiting for a table. The cutter picked up a new brisket and scraped all the fat/bark off. I looked at the guy and said a man's balls should be cut off for doing such a thing. He laughed and I said I wasn't kidding.

1 hour ago, Both Tacos said:
6 hours ago, XYZ said:

First time I saw that was at Salt Lick as I was hanging out by the cutter checking things out while waiting for a table. The cutter picked up a new brisket and scraped all the fat/bark off. I looked at the guy and said a man's balls should be cut off for doing such a thing. He laughed and I said I wasn't kidding.

And then...

14 hours ago, immortal13 said:

Any recommendations on a brisket carving knife?

Forschner 40646 is popular

p-3383-vn40646_slicergrantonedge_cv.jpg

Some like a curved blade in a cimeter or butcher like this 40632:

40632.jpg

Or a 40636

40636a.jpg

Using forschner here because I know the part numbers but obviously Mercer and Dexter have similar models. 

Out of pure circumstance, I ate at the Salt Lick by Dell Diamond for lunch on Saturday after kids baseball in the morning.
It actually wasn't terrible.  I feel dirty.

My dad and I got awful food poisoning there back in 09. Haven’t been back to any Salt Lick since.

Think I will mosey over to corkscrew after I get my crown done tomorrow and hit up Champs this Friday for some meatloaf. Glad he is back in the area. Does Luckys have much of a Bourbon selection.
Asking for a friend.

Yes it does. A great selection at Lodge.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, AustinMT said:

got dam. Never seen one of those.

I do have one of these though (Mac 270mm mighty slicer)

macMSL-105.jpg

Edited by GringoSalado
ou sucks

Goddamnit. I am working out in the energy corridor in Houston. Saw the “Houston bbq co” advertising “oak smoked central tx bbq”. Yelp reviews looked solid. Fuck me. That shit wasn’t smoked, oak or otherwise.  Straight out of an oven.  They didn’t even have the courtesy to pour some liquid smoke in the turkey pan.  Same with the ribs.  It was like like a poor mans luling city market. I don’t mean a poor mans version of the original luling. I mean a poor mans version of the dog shit Houston knock off.  They at least had a decent knock off of the orange sauce. That made it almost edible. 

Goddamnit. I am working out in the energy corridor in Houston. Saw the “Houston bbq co” advertising “oak smoked central tx bbq”. Yelp reviews looked solid. Fuck me. That shit wasn’t smoked, oak or otherwise.  Straight out of an oven.  They didn’t even have the courtesy to pour some liquid smoke in the turkey pan.  Same with the ribs.  It was like like a poor mans luling city market. I don’t mean a poor mans version of the original luling. I mean a poor mans version of the dog shit Houston knock off.  They at least had a decent knock off of the orange sauce. That made it almost edible. 

Hahahahahahahaha. That place on N. Eldridge? God that place sucks. Should have just bit the bullet and drove to Roegel’s or at least to Rudy’s at Mason Rd.

45 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahahahahahahaha. That place on N. Eldridge? God that place sucks. Should have just bit the bullet and drove to Roegel’s or at least to Rudy’s at Mason Rd.

Yeah. That place. Holy shit. In an ass kickingg contest between their que and my digestive tract this is like ou- 77 aggy-0. Been nice knowing you assholes. 

Edited by pepper brooks

I went to La BBQ recently for lunch.  The wait in line was only 25 minutes.  The brisket was well seasoned, but a bit dry.  It looked like it was cut from the flat - I suppose I should have requested some fatty brisket.  The chipotle sausage was really good though.

Went to the Big Apple BBQ Festival in NYC this weekend. Salt Lick was there--not too good, but there were really good and different ribs from a place in Illinois and the best thing all weekend was a pulled pork sandwich from Bob Gibson's from Alabama. All in all, a nice fun time.

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

Yeah. That place. Holy shit. In an ass kickingg contest between their que and my digestive tract this is like ou- 77 aggy-0. Been nice knowing you assholes. 

Is your digestive tract gonna dance for a meaningless stop after the BBQ has quit trying to hurt you?

• Like 2

Went to Tender Smokehouse in Celina last Wednesday. Ribs had an odd sweet taste to them I didn’t care for, but the brisket and sausage were pretty fucking great. Great outdoor patio for the kids too. This may become my regular place for times I don’t want to drive too far for good brisket.

ce844adf78ffcdf3efa79fbdf7d0315c.heic
67b0ec3bb222f30748562d77145357db.heic
f0457692ea3f92fd86b2a0a9f803bd0b.heic

49 minutes ago, JSB said:

Went to Tender Smokehouse in Celina last Wednesday. Ribs had an odd sweet taste to them I didn’t care for, but the brisket and sausage were pretty fucking great. Great outdoor patio for the kids too. This may become my regular place for times I don’t want to drive too far for good brisket.

ce844adf78ffcdf3efa79fbdf7d0315c.heic
67b0ec3bb222f30748562d77145357db.heic
f0457692ea3f92fd86b2a0a9f803bd0b.heic

Brisket look good.  Ribs look dry as fuk.  But this is relatively close to me, so I'm going.  

On 5/23/2018 at 6:54 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

Has anyone picked Up the new TM Ultimate Guide to BBQ? Curious to see some which new joints they included.

Pulled out mine today.  Same Top 50 from 2017.  Added 10 new places including Brotherton's Black Iron BBQ in Pflugerville and John Muellers Black Box BBQ in Georgetown, a place in San Antonio, and a place or two in Dallas.  Also added a few pit stops and places to get dessert.