Texas BBQ

Washpark

48 minutes ago, Iceman said:

I don’t have a problem with Rudy’s.  I can get it in Amarillo, however.

would love to try Mueller’s or Franklin. Not sure how hard it is to get in and out of those places in current environment 

which way are you going?  if you're coming down 83 just hop on 29 after menard and hit the mason cooper's.  then you can hop on 87 and swing through fredericksburg on your way to I-10.  coming into austin would just be a pain in the ass.

Edited by futureman
https://www.coopersbbqmason.com/
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

I was counting on that too, but didn't want to be overly optimistic and get fucked.

It takes me 10 minutes to get to the office, regardless of the time of day, and I live ten miles away. 

Edited by Deej

2 hours ago, RMac5 said:

If you are around Abilene try the Shed Market, their food is damn good. I’m not sure about their hours or service during C-19.

Had theirs before, and I agree.  Good people and good cue.

Not sure if I missed it n the website, but I drove over to Taylor only to find Mueller’s closed to curbside orders.  I did grab a case of Live Oak Hefeweizen at the HEB though.  I already knew I couldn’t eat 3# of Franklin cue( minimum order) so I headed to City Market in Luling.  I have been there twice before and this time they had no brisket(4pm.). I order a pound of ribs and 2 rings of sausage.   

I get to my hotel and open the bag and there’s like 2# of ribs, 11 of them.  The sausage is everything I miss about Cen-tex sausage that seems to be impossible to duplicate elsewhere.

So freaking good.  I’m almost glad they were sold out on brisket. The Live Oak is great too.

Tomorrow, I will hit Coopers as some of y’all suggested, on the return trip to the Golden Spread.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Iceman said:

The sausage is everything I miss about Cen-tex sausage that seems to be impossible to duplicate elsewhere.

You and me both, sir. I can replicate most Hill Country barbecue here in Idaho ... except the sausage.

Maybe one of these days I'll get a grinder ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Iceman said:

Not sure if I missed it n the website, but I drove over to Taylor only to find Mueller’s closed to curbside orders.  I did grab a case of Live Oak Hefeweizen at the HEB though.  I already knew I couldn’t eat 3# of Franklin cue( minimum order) so I headed to City Market in Luling.  I have been there twice before and this time they had no brisket(4pm.). I order a pound of ribs and 2 rings of sausage.   

I get to my hotel and open the bag and there’s like 2# of ribs, 11 of them.  The sausage is everything I miss about Cen-tex sausage that seems to be impossible to duplicate elsewhere.

So freaking good.  I’m almost glad they were sold out on brisket. The Live Oak is great too.

Tomorrow, I will hit Coopers as some of y’all suggested, on the return trip to the Golden Spread.

Not sure what time you'll be heading through Austin, but Valentina's Tex-Mex Barbecue or LeRoy and Lewis would be great places to stop.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have yet to try it out of some bullshit loyalty principal, but I think i need to change that. The problem is, whenever I am in Austin, I always go to Valentina’s or Leroy and Lewis. Those goddamn beef cheeks. It moved.

If I want ‘bbq’ - brisket, ribs, sausage - la barbecue.

if I want non bbq stuff - valentinas tacos are damn good 

ive never been to Leroy and Lewis but have heard good things 

Edited by tx 3 putt

If I want ‘bbq’ - brisket, ribs, sausage - la barbecue.
if I want non bbq stuff - valentinas tacos are damn good 
ive never been to Leroy and Lewis but have heard good things 

The brisket at Valentina’s doesn’t take a backseat to anyone. That includes Tejas or Truth. The beef cheeks are ridiculously awesome. You should fix the error of your ways.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:50 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I have yet to try it out of some bullshit loyalty principal, but I think i need to change that. The problem is, whenever I am in Austin, I always go to Valentina’s or Leroy and Lewis. Those goddamn beef cheeks. It moved.

those beef cheeks are one of the best bites of BBQ in the State. full stop.

I think the beef cheeks are great but I think some of you are overrating them.  they still do not compare to a half-inch slice of tier one pristine moist brisket.  

Why does it have to be one or the other. I would put the beef cheeks up against 98% of the brisket in the state. They are phenomenal.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This wouldn’t be the first or 20th time you were wrong. But hey, you do you.

nah I’m not wrong.  they are not the best cut of bbq in the state, “full stop.”  far from it.  but feel free to keep overselling them. 

On 5/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Iceman said:

I live 50 miles from Llano, and keep giving Cooper’s another chance, but somehow they continue to disappoint me;  pork chops are good, if you’re planning on taking a bunch of food home, and the beans are good.   YMMV.  Please post a review........

• Like 1

I live 50 miles from Llano, and keep giving Cooper’s another chance, but somehow they continue to disappoint me;  pork chops are good, if you’re planning on taking a bunch of food home, and the beans are good.   YMMV.  Please post a review........

I have only been once and it was about 3-4 years ago. I recall it being good, but not great. Well, the cobbler was great. I would pick 10 places over them without even putting much thought into it. But still, not a bad place. Just doesn’t live up to the lore.

L&L beef cheeks are delicious.  Full Stop.

I will say they're so rich that a little goes a long way and I can eat a lot more brisket than I can cheek, similar to the way I can eat a lot more brisket than beef rib.

But the cheeks are flipping delicious and that's no lie.

The End.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Horn Draoi said:

I am about 40 miles away from Llano, but I am in the same boat. 

The Big Chop is good. The steaks on Friday are good. 

The rest of the meat has been not good basically every time I have been there over the last 4+ years. 

8 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

In 5 years, beef cheeks in Texas are gonna be more coveted than beef ribs imo

should already be the case

i can pay how much for beef ribs that include a large percentage that is not edible but i still pay for in bone or i can pay less for something that is just as tasty if not more and 100% is edible