Texas BBQ

Washpark

22 hours ago, Grade of D as in David said:

I got the beef and also the jalapeno sausage.

Will try the scalloped potatoes thanks!

the beef sausage is fine — good, not great. The jalapeño popper sausage (which you had) is better.  The Frito Pie sausage, as I’ve mentioned above, is the winner.  Great thing is they make their sausage.

Was down at my hunting land and ran to Lancaster to fill the bellies. Da bruthas out this way said to go to Gator Pit BBQ. Got a loaded baked potato (which is really 2 potatoes) with chopped beef.
Didn't disappoint. Looked at some Yelp review pics and their ribs and brisket didn't seem like something I wanted to test out but that potato hit the spot.326a48bb95310d46fd074d275470056a.jpg4dce90c5aed89561c86ed6d8cf95a275.jpg664c27bd8c8b68e481d081a8f3f1b826.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, Deej said:

When their selling point in the window is "chop" beef, I'd stay away from anything that isn't "chop".

20+ years ago, some friends and I were driving from Houston to a concert in Austin.  As we headed up 71, we started seeing billboard after billboard for some barbecue place in La Grange.  This is not the guy who used to post up in the little gravely area on the other side of the overpass.  That stuff was delicious (R.I.P., Mr. old, mid 90s, BBQ shack guy).  This was on the other side of town off 71.  But what got our ignorant attention (back then) was that each billboard said Great BBQ or some such, "Check out our trophies!"  So our dumb asses stop in.  Place is empty of clientele.  I look up on the wall, and I see a slew of "trophy" bucks.  Long story short, barbecue was shitty, even by 1998 highway stop, commercial joint standards. 

Edited by dcbc

5 minutes ago, dcbc said:

20+ years ago, some friends and I were driving from Houston to a concert in Austin.  As we headed up 71, we started seeing billboard after billboard for some barbecue place in La Grange.  This is not the guy who used to post up in the little gravely area on the other side of the overpass.  That stuff was delicious (R.I.P., Mr. old, mid 90s, BBQ shack guy).  This was on the other side of town off 71.  But what got our ignorant attention (back then) was that each billboard said Great BBQ or some such, "Check out our trophies!"  So our dumb asses stop in.  Place is empty of clientele.  I look up on the wall, and I see a slew of "trophy" bucks.  Long story short, barbecue was shitty, even by 1998 highway stop, commercial joint standards. 

reminds me of the time I stopped a 'Cooper's BBQ' in Junction and almost shit my pants about 15 mins down the road 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Deej said:

Rumour spreadin' 'round
In that Texas town
About that shack outside La Grange

Does anyone remember the old guy that would roll up with his pit in this spot around 1994--1995?  Later, there was a shack, but I think that was someone else.  OG old dude had skills.

Nearby place - J.R. BBQ now.  But back then, it was an old dude slinging some pretty good cue. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/J.R.+BBQ/@29.9100139,-96.9278258,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x8643875cc0cf51f5:0x52ab3a7ff40e74bd!8m2!3d29.9100093!4d-96.9256371

Old guy's location was here.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/2874+TX-71,+La+Grange,+TX+78945/@29.9090245,-96.9226123,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x864386203dc26943:0xb5a9b4badb3b1b78!8m2!3d29.9090233!4d-96.9220651

This was the shitty place we stopped.  They have a gas pump now, which probably keeps the doors open.  Trophies still up.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Texas+One+Stop+of+La+Grange/@29.920207,-96.855511,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipMgrWH_GXPwGHpAne7QhVKh_3bjXt2e6lq-OodN!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipMgrWH_GXPwGHpAne7QhVKh_3bjXt2e6lq-OodN%3Dw152-h86-k-no!7i1920!8i1080!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sbbq,+La+Grange,+Texas!3m4!1s0x0:0x84dddc07b420ce22!8m2!3d29.9202092!4d-96.8555117

Edited by dcbc

Went to Interstellar again. Brisket is still absolutely on point. I even find myself really enjoying the lean, which is something I don't usually say. Had a link of jalapeno popper and a link of their Texano sausage, both really good.

I love their smoked habanero vinegar for the pulled pork. Really adds a layer.

At this point, I feel like I've had it enough times to declare them consistent, which means I'd probably put them in my top 4 in Austin (with Franklin, LA BBQ, and Micklethwait). It's a real gem out here in suburbia.

I still need to make it down to Valentina's, though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Longhornmaniac8 said:

Went to Interstellar again. Brisket is still absolutely on point. I even find myself really enjoying the lean, which is something I don't usually say. Had a link of jalapeno popper and a link of their Texano sausage, both really good.

I love their smoked habanero vinegar for the pulled pork. Really adds a layer.

At this point, I feel like I've had it enough times to declare them consistent, which means I'd probably put them in my top 4 in Austin (with Franklin, LA BBQ, and Micklethwait). It's a real gem out here in suburbia.

I still need to make it down to Valentina's, though.

I live down 620 from it, so we go there often.  They are always consistent.  Brisket and ribs are excellent, and the different sausages they do are great.  Sides are spot on.

On 6/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, AustinMT said:

Only place mentioned in TM or Full Custom is a place called Evett’s in Uvalde.

i miss FCG just because they reviewed all sorts of places big and small 

wish there was another place like that-ish - just a quick review of a ton of places state wide including off the beaten path

Edited by NoName

On 5/21/2020 at 7:49 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

He has served out of a few places (or had his truck parked at a few bars). I have had his bbq at least 5 times and it never disappointed. I hated to see him close down his truck.

He was the one that had the donut bbq sandwich, which was good but something I probably would only get once a year.

For real?  What kind of donut, and where the heck do people get these crazy ideas?

On 5/31/2020 at 5:10 PM, tx 3 putt said:

reminds me of the time I stopped a 'Cooper's BBQ' in Junction and almost shit my pants about 15 mins down the road 

Lum’s in Junction is where you want to go.  It isn’t elite.  But it’s good and light years ahead of Coopers. 

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Chopped brisket on a jalapeño cheese glazed donut.

3cFfn5nE_o.jpeg

That's a pass for me.  I guess I'm just too old school traditionalist for the "wild side".  As much as I loved Jim's cue, I just couldn't stand the weird things he started doing with the BBQ.

That's a pass for me.  I guess I'm just too old school traditionalist for the "wild side".  As much as I loved Jim's cue, I just couldn't stand the weird things he started doing with the BBQ.

90% of the time eat BBQ (and that’s way more than I probably should), I order the same thing. 1/2 lb. Brisket and a link of sausage. The other 10% is sandwiched and weird stuff. More sandwiches than weird stuff.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

90% of the time eat BBQ (and that’s way more than I probably should), I order the same thing. 1/2 lb. Brisket and a link of sausage. The other 10% is sandwiched and weird stuff. More sandwiches than weird stuff.

Pretty much the same here. Got that comfort zone going as far as menu items and sides.  Then sometimes, just sometimes I go on sandwich binges.

Maybe someday I'll try the candy crusted weird stuff, but don't hold your breath.  As expensive as Q has gotten, I'd be one mad mofo to try that stuff and not be able to eat/hate it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hahaha. I am surprised a joint hasn’t made a diablo sandwich yet. Maybe there is one. I researched it once and found a site dedicated to figuring out what it consisted of.

Stiles Switch makes one. No idea as to its accuracy. 

http://www.shadeone.com/diablo/

Stiles Switch version doesn't look authentic. 

84413143_2399660256806842_808937668359487488_o.jpg

Edited by Deej
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

im complete opposite, probably 80% sandwiches and weird stuff, 20% 'traditional' 

5 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Pretty much the same here. Got that comfort zone going as far as menu items and sides.  Then sometimes, just sometimes I go on sandwich binges.

Maybe someday I'll try the candy crusted weird stuff, but don't hold your breath.  As expensive as Q has gotten, I'd be one mad mofo to try that stuff and not be able to eat/hate it.

I liked that he was doing different things and driving interest in a different side of 'Cue. I'm a Brisket guy, all the way; but both times I went to the old Buck's he put a sample of something he was doing outside the box, so to speak, on the plate.  I wasn't disappoint.

Basically for me, the way his brisket and ribs were/ are so legit; it gave him license to free lance on the other stuff.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Iceman said:

I liked that he was doing different things and driving interest in a different side of 'Cue. I'm a Brisket guy, all the way; but both times I went to the old Buck's he put a sample of something he was doing outside the box, so to speak, on the plate.  I wasn't disappoint.

Basically for me, the way his brisket and ribs were/ are so legit; it gave him license to free lance on the other stuff.

There's no denying those ribs, that's for sure...

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I have been wanting to try the Switch (they have the sandwich too).  But every time I am in Austin I can't pass up on Leroy and Lewis or Valentina's.  Tomorrow it will be Leroy.

You need to make the trip north to Interstellar

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

You need to make the trip north to Interstellar

Do they deserve to be in the convo with Leroy & Lewis and Valentinas? Its about 15ish min from where my in laws live (before now I thought it was much further North)

3 hours ago, NoName said:

Do they deserve to be in the convo with Leroy & Lewis and Valentinas? Its about 15ish min from where my in laws live (before now I thought it was much further North)

Yes.  They are some great stuff, and it is always consistent.  Brisket and ribs -- excellent.  Sausage -- get the jalapeno popper sausage (they always have it) and if they have it, the Frito Pie sausage or the Texano sausage (they make their sausage).  Sides:  get the smoked scalloped potatoes.  Beans, which are ranch/chili style, are free.  I'm not a slaw fan, but I'm told the jalapeno slaw is very good.

If you go on a weekend they usually have pork belly burnt ends, and sometimes pastrami beef ribs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AustinMT said:

Yes.  They are some great stuff, and it is always consistent.  Brisket and ribs -- excellent.  Sausage -- get the jalapeno popper sausage (they always have it) and if they have it, the Frito Pie sausage or the Texano sausage (they make their sausage).  Sides:  get the smoked scalloped potatoes.  Beans, which are ranch/chili style, are free.  I'm not a slaw fan, but I'm told the jalapeno slaw is very good.

If you go on a weekend they usually have pork belly burnt ends, and sometimes pastrami beef ribs.

that is very, very, very high praise - I genuinely don't know how Leroy & Lewis isn't a Top 5/10 joint next time around. Valentinas is very good as well.

Will go next time I am over there!