Texas BBQ

Washpark

For lunch today, I picked up 1/2 pound of moist Prime brisket, a link of sausage today, and jalapeno/green apple slaw from Pustka Family Barbecue in Hutto.  I've tried them several times and it has always been great.   
I also grabbed a 4.5# Top Sirlion Cap from Nolan Ryan's Goodstock meat market.  Picanha for dinner this weekend.

I need pics of the cooked picanha. You best not fuck that up and use plenty of salt.

Had a chopped beef sandwich from bucees today. First time eating the BBQ there. 

The meat wasn't bad - sauce was a little sweet. The bread they use is on point. May or may not be worth $6, but a passable entry. Certainly not the worst BBQ sandwich I've had in the state.

My deal with Rudy’s, and I’ve had this experience in more than one, is that their meats have a hint of petroleum, and once you taste it you can’t un-taste it.  I-10 in Katy, I-35 in Waco, the one in Collie Station.  I know, C.S. and Waco, but the family likes it when we travel to see grandma. Not saying I won’t go there, but I won’t like it.  Now there is a Rudy’s on the way to Boerne in San Antonio that they say is one of the original family owned non-franchise stores, which we enjoyed.  IDK

12 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

My deal with Rudy’s, and I’ve had this experience in more than one, is that their meats have a hint of petroleum, and once you taste it you can’t un-taste it.  I-10 in Katy, I-35 in Waco, the one in Collie Station.  I know, C.S. and Waco, but the family likes it when we travel to see grandma. Not saying I won’t go there, but I won’t like it.  Now there is a Rudy’s on the way to Boerne in San Antonio that they say is one of the original family owned non-franchise stores, which we enjoyed.  IDK

6193436.jpg

28 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Now we know who is buying the old railroad ties

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Has anyone tried Henderson and Kane in Houston?

Yes. Got the trinity (because fuck everything else). Brisket was excellent. Ribs reminded me of Pinkertons and the late Bucks bbq (glazed, sweet, and perfectly cooked). Sausage was ok but nothing to write home about. Up there with the other great joints inside the loop

• Like 1

I believe that all of Rudy's uses the Oylers with is a wood fired rotisserie style smoker. Certainly could use lighter fluid to get things started but since they typically have them running 24 hours/day I wouldn't see that fire ever going out. 

Now, the not trimming the fat and then scrapping it all off when slicing is when I get stabby. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I believe that all of Rudy's uses the Oylers with is a wood fired rotisserie style smoker. Certainly could use lighter fluid to get things started but since they typically have them running 24 hours/day I wouldn't see that fire ever going out. 

Now, the not trimming the fat and then scrapping it all off when slicing is when I get stabby. 

Yeah, I don’t get why they do that, other than they are too lazy or cheap to pay someone to trim it in advance 

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Yes. Got the trinity (because fuck everything else). Brisket was excellent. Ribs reminded me of Pinkertons and the late Bucks bbq (glazed, sweet, and perfectly cooked). Sausage was ok but nothing to write home about. Up there with the other great joints inside the loop

im a fan 

Has anyone tried Henderson and Kane in Houston?

I tried it for lunch today.

Brisket was really delicious. Better than the last 3 times I ate at Pinkerton’s.

I actually liked the sausage, maybe mostly because the jalapeños they used actually had more kick to them than 90% of the jalapeños that are in other place’s sausages.

But they did give me way too much sausage. I ordered a link. If that is the normal amount, for the price they offer it, that’s quite a deal.

16ubWqBq_o.jpeg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Brisket was really delicious. Better than the last 3 times I ate at Pinkerton’s.

I actually liked the sausage, maybe mostly because the jalapeños they used actually had more kick to them than 90% of the jalapeños that are in other place’s sausages.

But they did give me way too much sausage. I ordered a link. If that is the normal amount, for the price they offer it, that’s quite a deal.

16ubWqBq_o.jpeg

You can never have enough good jalapeño cheese sausage

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I worked at Rudy’s on 360 while in college. The fire never goes out. They have 4 rotisserie style smokers in that location. The main thing that separates certain Rudy’s is who owns them. The 5 in Austin are owned by the same guys. They seem to most consistent and pay up for the better quality beef and have a really good wood supplier. The other individually franchised locations across the state can cut corners on quality and cleanliness.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, futureman said:

when was that?  was R.D. there when you were there. 

2008. I don’t remember a RD. Granted I was very high most days and went and drank heavily after most shifts. I did go in the other day and saw a guy I worked with still working as a cashier. I was taken back

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Both Tacos said:

I went on Wednesday. On this day, the sample of lean, fatty, and ribs were on par with the better joints in dfw. There's only seating for about 10, but in these days of covid, its currently take out only. 

16 hours ago, Both Tacos said:
On 8/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:
Ten50 is right by the house so I’ve been probably around 10 times. It’s just not very good. Inconsistent and bland on most offerings.

Been there twice. Not impressed with either time. Go 15 minutes into McKinney and get Hutchins.

Agree. I have not been in at least a year but it was very mediocre. 

On 8/13/2020 at 9:29 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Ten50 is right by the house so I’ve been probably around 10 times. It’s just not very good. Inconsistent and bland on most offerings.

Best thing there was the okra the few times I went.  Not a good sign for a BBQ joint.  But it was real deal hand breaded okra, so that's nice.

5 hours ago, LebongJames said:

I worked at Rudy’s on 360 while in college. The fire never goes out. They have 4 rotisserie style smokers in that location. The main thing that separates certain Rudy’s is who owns them. The 5 in Austin are owned by the same guys. They seem to most consistent and pay up for the better quality beef and have a really good wood supplier. The other individually franchised locations across the state can cut corners on quality and cleanliness.

Rudy’s gets a bad rap. Mainly because most of Texas is spoiled with excellent Q. Leave the state for any extended period of time and you will cut a bitch for some Rudy’s 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I should have known better, but it was 2:00 and I hadn't eaten all day, so I walked over to Cooper's downtown and ordered some pork ribs. Got back to the office and the guy cut them down the middle of the ribs. WTF? How hard is it to cut between them?

On 8/12/2020 at 12:56 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

16ubWqBq_o.jpeg

Tried it today. Brisket had good flavor, but they sliced it with the grain, and it was stringy. Ribs were great. Order the sausage and boudain. Both were fine. I'd put it behind Truth and Pinkerton's based on this visit. 

If you're ever in NB on the weekend, check out 1836 BBQ. It's a food truck on County Line road. Hands down best que in town - better than Hays County as well. They recently beat out local favorites Granzin's and NB Smokehouse in an online poll by the NB Business Journal for best bbq in New Braunfels. 

Not the best pic but we got a load today for my wife's birthday. 3 lbs of brisket, 1 lb of burnt ends, ribs, regular sausage and jalapeno cheddar sausage. Good beans, mac n cheese, and tater salad as well. Haven't tried their tea yet. 

20200815_140846.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

19 hours ago, Deej said:

I should have known better, but it was 2:00 and I hadn't eaten all day, so I walked over to Cooper's downtown and ordered some pork ribs. Got back to the office and the guy cut them down the middle of the ribs. WTF? How hard is it to cut between them?

LOL.  I'm by FAR the least picky person on here when it comes to bbq.   I lived in Knoxville until 2017, so I didn't have much in the way of a real bbq experience until then.  Put it this way, I don't have much of an issue eating at Dickey's or Soulman's. 

That being said, the ONE place that I truly struggled to finish a meal at was Coopers.  I'm assuming you're speaking of downtown Austin.  The one my family and I ate at was the one near the Stockyards in Ft. Worth.  Sucks because we spent a couple of days there for spring break.  I kept eyeing the place knowing that we'd be eating there on our way out.  Finally made it.  The beef rib was so salty, I actually couldn't take more than a couple of bites.

had the beef rib from Tyler's in Amarillo  for lunch.  It is only the second "real" one I've ever had in the Cen-Tex style and it was freaking great.  That's a lotta meat at once. 23oz, part of which is the rib, of course.

If someone wants to suggest a pic hosting site, I'll share photos of that and some jalapeno cream corn that was also good.

If you're ever rollin through Amarillo and are craving good Cue, it's worth the stop.  It's not better than the elite, elite places, but it is definitely legit.