Texas BBQ

Washpark

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can someone prioritize the top 5 Austin must go bbq places? I’ve read through a lot do the thread but struggling to figure out the best.

There are 4 Dickey's location.  Just make the 5th one Salt Lick, if you must.

33 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Can someone prioritize the top 5 Austin must go bbq places? I’ve read through a lot do the thread but struggling to figure out the best.

There is no consensus around here.

I'd list the top tier as Franklin, Leroy and Lewis, and Valentina's.

Beyond that I like Brotherton's Black Iron in Pflugerville, its sister restaurant Liberty in RR, Interstellar in North Austin, Brown's in South Austin.

Lots of folks like LA BBQ but I dislike the flavor of their brisket rub so it's off my list, and lots of folks like Micklethwait but after giving it two tries and not even getting an edible meal out of them, I'll never bother to go back.

1 minute ago, utee94 said:

Beyond that I like Brotherton's Black Iron in Pflugerville, its sister restaurant Liberty in RR, Interstellar in North Austin, Brown's in South Austin.

Lots of folks like LA BBQ but I dislike the flavor of their brisket rub so it's off my list, and lots of folks like Micklethwait but after giving it two tries and not even getting an edible meal out of them, I'll never bother to go back.

You don’t like black pepper?

2 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

You don’t like black pepper?

Love black pepper.  Every place I listed has plenty of black pepper. But LA BBQ brisket rub tastes like it has coffee or something in it.  Tried it twice, thought the first time they might have messed up, but the second time was the same.  Brisket and ribs were perfectly cooked though, that's for sure.

Edited by utee94

Just now, utee94 said:

Love black pepper.  Every place I listed has plenty of black pepper.  Their brisket rub tastes like it has coffee or something in it.  Tried it twice, though the first time they might have messed up, but the second time was the same.  Brisket and ribs were perfectly cooked though, that's for sure.

Hmm. To be fair I’ve only eaten it once and it’s been a while, but to me it just tasted like the super heavy black pepper, similar to what I’ve had at JMBbq or Louie Meullers. .. hence why I thought it was strange. You are right though, disregarding the rub, all I remember was thinking how moist everything was.  

Thanks. That’s where I was getting lost. Where’s Mueller sit these days? Any changes in how people line up for Franklin? Still 7:30-8:00 on weekdays?

I saw where Pecan Lodge had another fire in one of their pits Friday night. They will be cooking at 1/2 capacity until they get the air ducts fixed.
This is the 2nd overnight fire that they have had. Either someone isn't watching the fire or they need to clean out their pits more often.

39 minutes ago, Both Tacos said:

I saw where Pecan Lodge had another fire in one of their pits Friday night. They will be cooking at 1/2 capacity until they get the air ducts fixed.
This is the 2nd overnight fire that they have had. Either someone isn't watching the fire or they need to clean out their pits more often.

experimenting with a new quick cook method ?

36 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Franklins , LA BBQ, Valentina’s, Terry Blacks, Mickelthwait,

Good list.  I personally prefer Terry Blacks to the general consensus list I posted. I don't really get the hate a lot of folks give it. I've been there probably 100+ times and it's always been solid.  I like Mickelthwait a lot but that line is the worst. 10 people deep and it'll take an hour to order. Really inefficient but good food.

• Hook 'Em 1

So I just saw that Micklethwait is opening his trailer back up finally.  Kerlin is still closed.  I understand the issues COVID has caused, but why in the world have these guys stayed closed when other bbq places (and lots on on-bbq places) have been able to open —- especially trailers that were set up for takeout to begin with?

On 8/30/2020 at 10:52 AM, utee94 said:

Agree that Terry Black's is good, I've had quality BBQ every time I've been there (probably 5 or 6 times now).

Terry Black’s in Deep Ellum has been outstanding the couple of times I have been.  Good alternative to Pecan Lodge.

Edited by harold
Autocorrect!

There has been a brisket kolache-shaped void in the Austin restaurant scene since March, but, finally, barbecue truck Kerlin BBQ is reopening on Friday, September 4. Sweetening the deal, charcoal company Kingsford Charcoal is sponsoring the East Sixth trailer’s opening day by setting up a $5,000 tab for ribs.

Kerlin BBQ is known for brisket kolaches (the subject of a love letter from Texas Monthly barbecue editor Daniel Vaughn), but it also serves standard and stellar Texas barbecue fare like brisket, ribs, hot links, and sides. The reopening date also happens to be the trailer’s seven-year anniversary.

Specifically, the Kingsford tab provides one order of ribs per person, until the end of the day or until the total hits $5,000 (Kerlin also has free beer from Houston brewery St. Arnold’s). The opening day tab from Kingsford is part of a nationwide donation of $250,000 to 25 different pitmasters (Daddy Duncan’s in Katy also had a tab in late August). Kerlin also shared its ribs recipe on the Kingsford website.