Texas BBQ

Washpark

Was in Cedar Park today so went by the new Stiles Switch.  Very much “Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss,” which is to say the que is good, but not Top 5 Austin.MOist brisket was good.  Sausage was fine, though a tad dry. Pulled pork was fine, but a bit under-seasoned.  Beef rib was outstanding, however.  I think the beef ribs are the best thing they do, and they have them every day.  Corn casserole is one of the better sides in town

spacer.png

Had the Heim food truck in Dallas by Love airport yesterday.  Their brick and mortar opens this week I guess.  It's not quite Cattleack level, but it fits nicely in the tier just below that for Dallas BBQ.

Texas Sausage, Jap Sausage, Pulled Pork, Mac N Cheese, Bacon Burnt Ends, Sliced? Brisket, Pork Ribs.  They need to step up their brisket game considerably, but overall everything else was very good. 

rle4cq.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Had the Heim food truck in Dallas by Love airport yesterday.  Their brick and mortar opens this week I guess.  It's not quite Cattleack level, but it fits nicely in the tier just below that for Dallas BBQ.

Texas Sausage, Jap Sausage, Pulled Pork, Mac N Cheese, Bacon Burnt Ends, Sliced? Brisket, Pork Ribs.  They need to step up their brisket game considerably, but overall everything else was very good. 

rle4cq.jpg

Daughter and her boyfriend are flying in Sat.  Was going for this til I found out they're flying into DFW.  We've got all next week, so I'm trying to decide between my go-to Hutchins, Cattleack, Heim, or Pecan Lodge.  The latter is the only one I haven't tried.

21 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Daughter and her boyfriend are flying in Sat.  Was going for this til I found out they're flying into DFW.  We've got all next week, so I'm trying to decide between my go-to Hutchins, Cattleack, Heim, or Pecan Lodge.  The latter is the only one I haven't tried.

terry black’s

• Hook 'Em 1

Tried Brett's BBQ Shop in Katy today.  Brisket and their house beef sausage.  Everything was good, but I don't think as good as Tejas or Truth. 
Hard to believe anyone on this thread would have been hyperbolic in their assessment of Brett's.

I agree it's good and am glad it's in Katy. I think Dozier's is probably better right now and others around Houston certainly are.
  • Hook 'Em 1

my Uber driver to ABIA this morning was from st louis.  he started talking about st louis bbq and how good it was so I asked him if he’d had any bbq in town.  “yeah I’ve tried everywhere. the bbq here is not that good. there’s nothing to it, just salt and pepper? it’s very basic, I appreciate something a little more complex.”

I didn’t tip him. 

• Haha 1

my Uber driver to ABIA this morning was from st louis.  he started talking about st louis bbq and how good it was so I asked him if he’d had any bbq in town.  “yeah I’ve tried everywhere. the bbq here is not that good. there’s nothing to it, just salt and pepper? it’s very basic, I appreciate something a little more complex.”
I didn’t tip him. 

You should have taken a shit in the backseat.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, futureman said:

I didn’t tip him. 

You should have hit him with a beef rib

2 hours ago, futureman said:

I didn’t tip him. 

He can go the fuck back to St. Louis, then...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Had a client order barbecue from Black's in Austin for lunch yesterday.  One pound of brisket had little flavor and fell apart like pot roast.  Ribs were gray with little flavor, although cooked well.  Coleslaw tasted like the crap KFC sells.  The only decent thing was the sausage.  Never cared for Black's in Lockhart and was completely unimpressed with the Austin joint.

On 10/16/2020 at 10:38 AM, Jerry Callo said:

Had a client order barbecue from Black's in Austin for lunch yesterday.  One pound of brisket had little flavor and fell apart like pot roast.  Ribs were gray with little flavor, although cooked well.  Coleslaw tasted like the crap KFC sells.  The only decent thing was the sausage.  Never cared for Black's in Lockhart and was completely unimpressed with the Austin joint.

The one in NB is pretty decent.

On 10/16/2020 at 1:46 PM, harold said:

Stopped at Cooper's in Llano this week.  Brisket was B+, sausage was C, big chop was A+.

there is very little reason to order anything other than the Big Chop (or steak on Steak Night) there - it wasn't just you and it wasn't that you got them on a bad day. their product is absolutely middle of the road with a couple of exceptions mentioned above.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Went to Pecan Lodge yesterday had the brisket/rib plate. 

is it better the earlier you go? Got there around 330 or so. 

brisket doesn’t compete with Franklin or Snows imo. 

I haven’t been in years but I’ve seen people on here say it’s gone downhill. 

Edited by futureman

13 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

Not sure when the slide started but I only went once about 3 years ago and it wasn’t close to Franklin or other top level Austin places. 

they really got hurt by their new place basically requiring full service vs selling out and AFAIK never really recovered to the same level of quality they had at the Farmer's Market

now, that's kind of what happens when you 2x or 3x your pit space and move into a place that also 2x's your hours but yeah. They haven't been on the same level as even Cattleack for a long time.

• Hook 'Em 1