Texas BBQ

Washpark

15 hours ago, South Austin said:

Couldn’t find anything in a Surly search, but anyone ever been to Hello Sweetie in Georgetown? I’m thinking about visiting my folks on Saturday and bringing them some BBQ for lunch. Seems like the only halfway decent place around their parts.

Give it a try and report back.  Soul food sides sound great.

Depending upon where you are coming from, there are several places on the way to Georgetown.  Pustkas Family Barbecue in Hutto is pretty good.

On 10/15/2020 at 12:08 PM, futureman said:

my Uber driver to ABIA this morning was from st louis.  he started talking about st louis bbq and how good it was so I asked him if he’d had any bbq in town.  “yeah I’ve tried everywhere. the bbq here is not that good. there’s nothing to it, just salt and pepper? it’s very basic, I appreciate something a little more complex.”

I didn’t tip him. 

Sounds like the Joe Buck of Uber drivers. 

• Like 1

QC on Whole Foods BBQ on W 6th. Got a 1/2lb of pulled pork and a 1/2lb of chopped beef.

Pulled pork was bland, bland, bland. But actually cooked very well and a good cut of pork. With the sauce they provide (which may have been the best part, which should tell you all you need to know) it wasn't bad and very edible. I'd say 5/10, maybe 6/10 on a good day.

The chopped beef was an affront to our collective remembrance of the Alamo. No spice, way too sweet, too coarse and fatty. For $16/lb it would be hard to do worse. Rudy's blows it out of the fucking park. 3/10 - only because it's good beef; threw half of it in the trash.

Edited by ztejas

On 10/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, futureman said:

my Uber driver to ABIA this morning was from st louis.  he started talking about st louis bbq and how good it was so I asked him if he’d had any bbq in town.  “yeah I’ve tried everywhere. the bbq here is not that good. there’s nothing to it, just salt and pepper? it’s very basic, I appreciate something a little more complex.”

I didn’t tip him. 

You should have shot him. Austin is crowded enough already.

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 8:36 PM, South Austin said:

Couldn’t find anything in a Surly search, but anyone ever been to Hello Sweetie in Georgetown? I’m thinking about visiting my folks on Saturday and bringing them some BBQ for lunch. Seems like the only halfway decent place around their parts.

Bump self quote re/ Hello Sweetie.  It was just okay, which is probably as good as I could get in Georgetown.  The brisket was average, but the sausage was tasty.  We didn't opt for other meats, but I'd be open to going back and trying out the ribs.

The soul-food sides were really damn good.  Got the potato salad and collard greens. 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:41 PM, stork642 said:

Lunch at Pecan Lodge today.  Haven’t been there in a while.  Wasn’t as good as previous visits.  Anything going on there or did I just have a random not so good experience?  Half of the brisket was tough and the ribs just OK.     

It has slipped quite a bit over the last couple years.

2 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Sausage looks raw and everything else looks cold.  Guessing it's just the pic, but that's really weird.

Their sausage always looks like that, though it is always cooked through.

There was a delay between 1) picking it up, and 2) getting it home, and then another delay in 3) opening and eating.  This was not a shot at the restaurant.  We did heat it up before eating.

6 hours ago, Hook1997 said:

Got to give a shoutout to LJ’s bbq in Brenham.  They are doing pork belly burnt ends on Saturdays now and they are awesome.  Also had a sausage, chicken and brisket gumbo today as a special that was great.  

Went through there a while back when I was picking up my smoker and truth was closed. The bbq at LJs was exceptional and they gave me a ghost in the machine IPA out of the fridge in the back at no charge. 

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Went through there a while back when I was picking up my smoker and truth was closed. The bbq at LJs was exceptional and they gave me a ghost in the machine IPA out of the fridge in the back at no charge. 

Yea I use to live there the guys that own that place are really nice.

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

They are. But they are also aggy, so...

in all seriousness, LJ’s is very good. Not top 50 level, but a great truth consolation

I don’t think so I know one is a longhorn fan for sure and never heard the other say anything about aggie.  Yea I agree, I was tempted to stop by truths after I ate there to get some for later.

1 hour ago, RollLeft said:

Had Tejas Chocolate for lunch on Thursday.  Brisket and ribs were really good.  All sides sucked.  Beans, posalad, cornbread cass, cole slaw.  Not one worth the money.   Buy more meat. 

Went for the first time myself on Thursday and had the exact same experience, except sausage instead of ribs. Meat was fantastic, the sides were interesting and not terrible, but not as impressive as the meat. I’ll go back if around that area again. 

16 hours ago, RollLeft said:

Had Tejas Chocolate for lunch on Thursday.  Brisket and ribs were really good.  All sides sucked.  Beans, posalad, cornbread cass, cole slaw.  Not one worth the money.   Buy more meat. 

If you didn't get the carrot soufflé, you did it wrong.  Agreed that the meat is outstanding. 

Went to Brett's Backyard Barbecu in Rockdale on Saturday. The hope was to hit them and Snows, but by the time we picked up our two dogs, I knew Snows would be sold out. 

I checked on Snows at 130ish, sausage was all that remained and there were still 20+ people in line.

Brett's is very solid. The brisket was great, but very thick slices. Ribs were a tad dry but had a nice rub, I prefer a hint of sweetness though. Jalepeno cheddar sausage needed more jalepeno, a little more heat. His Czech sausage is fantastic 

20201128_132346.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, dmtx said:

Went to Brett's Backyard Barbecu in Rockdale on Saturday. The hope was to hit them and Snows, but by the time we picked up our two dogs, I knew Snows would be sold out. 

I checked on Snows at 130ish, sausage was all that remained and there were still 20+ people in line.

Brett's is very solid. The brisket was great, but very thick slices. Ribs were a tad dry but had a nice rub, I prefer a hint of sweetness though. Jalepeno cheddar sausage needed more jalepeno, a little more heat. His Czech sausage is fantastic 

20201128_132346.jpg

Brett does a great job, but you have to hit Snow's before Brett's if you want to get both.  

35 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Brett does a great job, but you have to hit Snow's before Brett's if you want to get both.  

I knew that, but our timing was not going to get me to Snows earlier. I was just taking a shot. I've been to Snows but it's been a few years 

On 11/28/2020 at 9:56 AM, Borachio said:

Tootsie was on her game this morning! I got there at 5:35am and was #36 in line, by the time they opened at 8 there were well over 100 people behind me.  

The brisket was very good, but man, there is just something extra special about those ribs and pork steak.

20201128_091232.jpg

I love Snows.

I love Tootsie and Kerry.

There is zero chance I am going to get up early enough to get to Lexington at 535 AM.

100/100 times I am going to go to somewhere else.

I am so happy they are doing so well, I loved the Chef's Table but...

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I love Snows.
I love Tootsie and Kerry.
There is zero chance I am going to get up early enough to get to Lexington at 535 AM.
100/100 times I am going to go to somewhere else.
I am so happy they are doing so well, I loved the Chef's Table but...

And be the 36th person to get there.

BBQuest on Hulu is pretty interesting. Almost every region of Texas BBQ is profiled. 

Also the host is smoke. 

She calls herself a native Texan in the intro. My buddy’s wife gets so irritated by it because she knew she was born in another state haha. I called the host out on Instagram and she did confirm she wasn’t born here “but her family is from here”.

23 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

She calls herself a native Texan in the intro. My buddy’s wife gets so irritated by it because she knew she was born in another state haha. I called the host out on Instagram and she did confirm she wasn’t born here “but her family is from here”.

Yep. She also knows almost nothing about bbq, cooking, restaurants, or Texas. Kind of a strange show. It’s like watching a Canadian visit Texas for the first time. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yep. She also knows almost nothing about bbq, cooking, restaurants, or Texas. Kind of a strange show. It’s like watching a Canadian visit Texas for the first time. 

Yeah, I watched, well I scrolled through, the Houston episode earlier after reading the initial comment. It was cringeworthy. The host is most definitely not smoke and she's terrible at being in front of a camera.

1 minute ago, royiv said:

Yeah, I watched, well I scrolled through, the Houston episode earlier after reading the initial comment. It was cringeworthy. The host is most definitely not smoke and she's terrible at being in front of a camera.

A very Chris Shepherd forward episode. 

Gatlin's is OK. I like their whole smoked chickens, green beans, and the on the very rarest of occasions, their collard greens. I want to try the Kitchen Sink Sandwich. The old location was better. I can't explain it. Sometimes restaurants move to a bigger/nicer space and lose the magic. 

St. Arnold's isn't my favorite, but at least they haven't sold out to Anheuser-Busch. 

Korea Garden looks really good. It's hard to go wrong with Korean BBQ on Long Point. 

I liked the Feges segment, but their brisket hasn't looked like that in 2 years+. They're constantly dealing with problems with the City and Parkway. I'm guessing they were required to make further changes to their pit. Funny aside, I saw two people I know eating at Feges during the episode. 

1 hour ago, texasdago said:

Sorry... if you weren't born here, you're not a native Texan.  Been here for decades but I'm not a native Texan.  My boys?  Native Texans.  Doesn't matter who your family is.

True.  IMHO, if you arrived in Texas prior to 7th grade, the year Texas history is taught in all Texas public schools, then you can claim Naturalized Texas.

• Haha 1