ALCS -- Red Sox vs Astros

Beau Vine

13 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you want to know how great of baseball fans Astros fans are, one of them seriously just asked if the WS is in a 2-3-2 format in their thread. 

Fuck off and scurry on to start the 2022 Yankee Off-Season thread where you can hang out by yourself. I’ll even give you a title. “Thank God for the Orioles” 

Edited by TonyTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, Helobious said:

If you want to know how great of baseball fans Astros fans are, one of them seriously just asked if the WS is in a 2-3-2 format in their thread. 

Great teams attract bandwagonners.  It is what it is.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Have you ever been to an AL-pennant clinching home game?

I have. If you get the chance next year you should definitely go so you can rep that loser NYY hat at Minute Maid. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

Fuck off and scurry on to start the 2022 Yankee Off-Season thread where you can hang out by yourself. I’ll even give you a title. “Thank God for the Orioles” 

Every team needs a patsy. For the Yankees, that's Baltimore. For the Astros, it's recently been the whole AL. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

Good series and great win Astros. Your bats are solid, your pitching is damn good, and I hope you can hold the team together and run for a bit. It was fun watching it with this group and I appreciate everyone's baseball knowledge and love of the game. 

Was able to watch it at my local bar with some very cool fans who knew their shit. 

Go get em. I will be rooting for the Astros to take it all. 

You guys just aren’t very good. I think probably the worst AL team to make the playoffs. That’s not shit talking or a slight- it’s not like anyone had y’all at good odds to be up 2-1 in the ALCS, and it’s not like management made any big moves before the season, or went all in at the trade deadline, on the belief that you guys were a legit contender. 
The thing I don’t know about your guys is- is this a team poised to be really good in the future?  Or is it just biding time and bouncing around?  
I’m not a Boston fan but I don’t have anything against y’all either- if the AL East is binary between you and the Yanks I will always root for y’all. 
what is the prognosis?  What’s the future look like for y’all? 

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just now, Wulaw Horn said:

You guys just aren’t very good. I think probably the worst AL tram to make the playoffs. That’s not shit talking or a slight- it’s not like anyone had y’all at good odds to be up 2-1 in the ALCS, and it’s not like management made any big moves before the season, or went all in at the trade deadline, on the belief that you guys were a legit contender. 
The thing I don’t know about your guys is- is this a team poised to be really good in the future?  Or is it just biding time and bouncing around?  
I’m not a Boston fan but I don’t have anything against y’all either- if the AL East is binary between you and the Yanks I will always root for y’all. 

Solid core. Need to develop internal talent like we did before. Good trades, but lost part of the old team. Betts, JBJ, etc. 

We should not have been in the ALCS. But we found a way. Bats went quiet at the wrong time and I think someone fucked with Jobu's rum. Middle relief would be nice, and our closer just sucked at the end of the year so could not rely on him. 

Fuck the Yankees.

You guys just aren’t very good. I think probably the worst AL team to make the playoffs. That’s not shit talking or a slight- it’s not like anyone had y’all at good odds to be up 2-1 in the ALCS, and it’s not like management made any big moves before the season, or went all in at the trade deadline, on the belief that you guys were a legit contender. 

Well, they were better than the Yankees and the Rays, apparently. But they got hot at the right time, but it obviously didn’t last.

Core for the Sox is solid — Devers still has an arb year (but they’ll work out a long term contract soon), Xander is signed, JD has a player option (that he’ll likely pick up again), and it sounds like they’re making signing Schwarber a priority for the offseason. Kiké still has another year left.

They have some high-ceiling prospects (Triston Casas, Jeter Downs) that should come up next year, and the other promising bats (Nick Yorke, Marcelo Mayer) hopefully progress up the farm system and are ready in 2-3 years.

Pitching - especially when it comes to young prospects - is a little shaky. E-Rod is a free agent, but had too inconsistent of a year to demand a huge contract, so I think there’s a decent chance he stays in Boston. Back of of the rotation is iffy, but Tanner Houck could be a solid 4/5 starter. Bullpen is pretty much crap. Matt Barnes - 2021 All-Star - was so crappy towards the end of the season that he was left off both the ALDS and ALCS rosters.

Long story short — great young core, great bats, shaky pitching. They have a great GM, so I’m optimistic they’ll be a contender for next year & beyond.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

You guys just aren’t very good.

Yeah, I disagree. Boston won 92 games in a really tough division (TB, NYY, TOR are all legitimately good teams). Devers/ Bogaerts/JDM is a strong offensive core, and guys like Schwarber, Verdugo, Hernandez and Renfroe are good supporting players. The pitching doesn’t necessarily scare you, but it’s solid. I think the Astros have a better roster right now, but the Red Sox are pretty damn good. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Yeah, I disagree. Boston won 92 games in a really tough division (TB, NYY, TOR are all legitimately good teams). Devers/ Bogaerts/JDM is a strong offensive core, and guys like Schwarber, Verdugo, Hernandez and Renfroe are good supporting players. The pitching doesn’t necessarily scare you, but it’s solid. I think the Astros have a better roster right now, but the Red Sox are pretty damn good. 

I’d take every other playoff team I’m the AL, plus the Blue Jays roster over Boston. That’s not a very good team. That’s a good team. And a good team can get hot and beat a great team all the time in baseball. Taking out a legit 100 win Tampa team by winning 3 games doesn’t mark any kind of specialness to my way of thinking. There was a reason everyone in the AL playoffs wanted Boston (if they couldn’t get the Mariners). 
I guess you guys have the hammer now in your jihad against the Yanks, but the Jays look like pretty strong up and comers in that division and there’s no evidence that the Rays are going away. 
the AL East is very very strong. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Agree with all of that.

I expect both the Astros and Red Sox to seriously improve their pitching in the offseason.  And I expect that we'll meet in another ALCS in the next few years, maybe next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Agree with all of that.

I expect both the Astros and Red Sox to seriously improve their pitching in the offseason.  And I expect that we'll meet in another ALCS in the next few years, maybe next year.

And we will kick your ass! :)

Some damn good Baseball fans on this football forum. Good luck Astros. 

Gonna go kick a penguin.