Who could we realistically hire tomorrow if Sark was hypothetically fired?

GreenspointTexas

I’m guessing he gets a chance to hire a wunderkind OC this off season then cross your fingers.  It’s of course ludicrous that the “offensive genius” has to hire a 35 yo kid to save his ass because he can’t run an offense but theses what makes the most sense other than firing everyone. 
 That plus bagmen, bagmen, bagmen and go after every OL warm body in the portal. 

Maybe, what might work better, is sark hires a HC and installs himself as OC!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Did Tom Herman build a HS dynasty out of nothing and run it at an elite level for 15 years? Is there, or will there ever be, even a HS football stadium named after Tom Herman?

Is Tom Herman a fucking legend in the most fertile recruiting turf in the state of Texas?

How does Tom Herman's recruiting look compared to Traylor's, as both assistant and HC?

I am so sick of rehashing Herman's fool's gold resume, but the long and the short of it was: never showed he could win with his own players; never showed he could win without elite QB play; never showed he could recruit, had a propensity both big upsets and for blowing WTF games, esp when his mini-VY was dinged up or sidelined. 

I guess in the sense that coaches are hired right now, somehow that resume looks superior to Traylor's but I have come to believe that the generally accepted conventional hiring practices in big-time college football are stupid, bear little or no relation to success, and should be questioned at every turn.

I said it on the old site years and years ago: we should have fired Strong and his whole staff and kept Traylor and handed him the keys.

Kinda like Scarface did. "Hey Ernie? Joo wanna yob?

he knocked off a oklahoma team that beat ut and 5 ranked opponents, and a florida st bowl team, with 2 and 3 star recruits, and neither game was close

i was at that oklahoma game, they punched them in the mouth and never stopped

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Yeah, I didn't actually want to say it, but it had to be said. Hiring a coordinator from Bama is dumb af. Saban runs that program, everyone knows that. At least Fickell has shown he can adjust and coach. Not sure about recruiting, but it shouldn't be that hard. 

Kirby Smart was a coordinator under Saban and he is doing well at UGA last time I checked .  But point is taken.

Looking back I was lukewarm on hiring Sark, but gradually warmed to it thinking he defeated his demons and he’d show what he was capable of with them out of the way.   BUT damn if we were losing and showing progression through the balance of the season, it would be acceptable.  Instead it’s a total shit show that is now rivaled by Charlie’s shit shows. 

I might be in the minority, but I thought this  last time time we should have gone all out for Brian Kelly from Norte Dame.   The man can coach and has built winners where ever he’s landed and what keeps Norte Dame from not winning it all is the fact they still can’t get the right talent balance in their program because of their academic mission although they’ve tried hard to accommodate this.  He still puts up teams that know what the heck they are doing on any given Saturday.    What we’ve seen this season from Sark unfortunately is beyond fixable.  

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The man can coach and has built winners where ever he’s landed and what keeps Norte Dame from not winning it all is the fact they still can’t get the right talent balance in their program because of their academic mission

I guarantee that is just an excuse.  No way ND is turning down elite players over something as stupid as academics.

Do you think Duke basketball also requires top academics to get a scholarship?

Hey Sark, you can't be fired, not for several years anyway. You're filthy rich, so this job is just for kicks. The fans couldn't hate this program any more than they do right now. So, relax. Forget about this season. Plan on losing out, nobody cares. Meet with Bijan tomorrow and apologize for getting him beat to hell. Tell him you will reduce his workload and do your best to get him the Heisman next year. Apologize to Rojo for having to play with a group of women. The fans and potential recruits just want to see you kick some ass. Publicly humiliate some players. Bench them. Make them run laps. Make several quit the program. Start freshmen and walk-ons (at least enough to make a point) We suck. Everyone knows we suck. Just start getting a handle on this.

I think I'd try to get Franklin or Fickell.  Franklin winning 9 games 2 years in a row at Vanderbilt is some Snyder level shit.  I also think Penn State is tough to recruit to and he's doing a decent job, sans the covid year.

Fickell is G5 again but he's looking more like Urban G5 than Herman or Charlie G5.

All I can say is:  we fired DKR to get Akers.  We fired Akers to get McWilliams.   Then we fired Mack to get Charlie Strong.  And we fired Hermann to get Sark.  4 of the last 7 have been significant downgrades and it was almost impossible to do worse than McWilliams and Strong, the 2 worst coaches in our history.  So if you don't count those 2, we are 1 for 5 in upgrades in my lifetime.  Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, GTX Horn said:

Taggart got fired from FSU midway through his 2nd season. If Sark continues shitting the bed next year, he’ll get the same treatment. I’d start by seeing just how set Chris Peterson is in retirement.

Chris Petersen retired from Washington because he was tired of dealing with the stress of bigtime football. He is not jumping back in to coach at Texas. You have to give him a call, but you already know the answer. Also he might want to keep PK lolz.

Traylor will get the Tech or TCU job if he wants them this year. Being so rooted in ETX, I do wonder if he'd actually want the Tech job vs the ironclad job security he now finds himself with at UTSA. It won't be easy to battle even Baylor, TCU, UH, OSU, and Arkansas for ETX recruits from Lubbock, let alone A&M, LSU, and Texas.

If he is still at UTSA after the dust settles on this coaching carousel, the good news is that he may very well be there when Sark is fired after 2023-24. I know this board has PTSD over G5 hires, but he has got to be a frontrunner for the position right now. We'll see what happens if any lower tier P5 guys like a Dave Aranda continue to build their profile over the next couple years, but there's no one jumping off the screen as a clearly superior option to Jeff Traylor right now. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think I'd try to get Franklin or Fickell.  Franklin winning 9 games 2 years in a row at Vanderbilt is some Snyder level shit.  I also think Penn State is tough to recruit to and he's doing a decent job, sans the covid year.

Fickell is G5 again but he's looking more like Urban G5 than Herman or Charlie G5.

Fickell has built a sustained winner at Cincinnati, which Herman never did, and it isn't simply riding an NFL QB in a G5 league like Strong did. He is a legitimately good coach. The main knock on him from a Texas perspective is that he is an Ohio lifer, and an old school Rust Belt kind of guy. HC at Texas would be quite the culture shock and you don't know how he'd handle it. Also not sure about his level of recruiting connections down here. Of course, Ohio continues to produce good coaches. Something in the jorts.

He feels much better suited to take over an Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Notre Dame, or Michigan (though he is so Ohio State for life he might not even take that job) when they come open, and is basically guaranteed to bolt for Ohio State if available under any circumstance.

• Hook 'Em 1

I would take Aaron Franklin over Sark at this point.

11 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Fickell has built a sustained winner at Cincinnati, which Herman never did, and it isn't simply riding an NFL QB in a G5 league like Strong did. He is a legitimately good coach. The main knock on him from a Texas perspective is that he is an Ohio lifer, and an old school Rust Belt kind of guy. HC at Texas would be quite the culture shock and you don't know how he'd handle it. Also not sure about his level of recruiting connections down here. Of course, Ohio continues to produce good coaches. Something in the jorts.

He feels much better suited to take over an Iowa, Wisconsin, Penn State, Notre Dame, or Michigan (though he is so Ohio State for life he might not even take that job) when they come open, and is basically guaranteed to bolt for Ohio State if available under any circumstance.

I think being in what is considered the best conference in football could help with coaching search.  Driven coaches want to beat the best.

Getting to the SEC sooner than later will correct any recruiting problems since more eyeballs will be on Texas games week in and week out, something the dying Big XII clearly can’t offer, and hasn’t offered for many years.  Coaching?  The fact that the university is 0-2 going on 0-3 hiring the “up-and-comer” flavor of the moment types should give anyone a pause calling for Traylor, and should also serve notice that the problems at Texas go beyond coaching

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I’d throw a brinks truck at Cristobal.

With all due respect, this is more magical "we're Texas" thinking.

Cristobal pretty much has it going on at a "recent blueblood" and CFP contender.

The idea that we can back up our "brinks truck" in Eugene and bring a successful coach at a successful program to come start over or whatever in Austin is just . . . .

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Cristobal pretty much has it going on at a "recent blueblood" and CFP contender.

The idea that we can back up our "brinks truck" in Eugene and bring a successful coach at a successful program to come start over or whatever in Austin is just . . . .

That’s fair. Of course it’s all hypothetical, Sark isn’t getting fired for 2 more seasons at minimum.

Edited by lilMAC25

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

You're really going all-in on this perceived culture problem you believe is present at UT.

It might or might not  be a factor, but are you proposing we SHOULDN'T go after a coach that we believe can help us win?  That sounds silly.  Why wouldn't we do whatever it takes, to bring in a coach that could win here?

Our past several choices have been bad hires.  Does that mean we should just stop trying to hire the next guy, with the idea being that we're trying to get the right guy?

I'm really not following you at all, here.

1 hour ago, bullet said:

All I can say is:  we fired DKR to get Akers.  We fired Akers to get McWilliams.   Then we fired Mack to get Charlie Strong.  And we fired Hermann to get Sark.  4 of the last 7 have been significant downgrades and it was almost impossible to do worse than McWilliams and Strong, the 2 worst coaches in our history.  So if you don't count those 2, we are 1 for 5 in upgrades in my lifetime.  Be careful what you wish for.

they need new blood people hiring the next coach 

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

they need new blood people hiring the next coach 

DKR helped us pick Mack over Gary Barnett.  But DKR isn't around anymore.  Mack replacing Mackovic is our one upgrade that wasn't a slam dunk. (anybody was better than McWilliams or Strong).

17 minutes ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Getting to the SEC sooner than later will correct any recruiting problems since more eyeballs will be on Texas games week in and week out, something the dying Big XII clearly can’t offer, and hasn’t offered for many years.  Coaching?  The fact that the university is 0-2 going on 0-3 hiring the “up-and-comer” flavor of the moment types should give anyone a pause calling for Traylor, and should also serve notice that the problems at Texas go beyond coaching

we have hired 2 guys who did it once a couple of years with one G5 school and one QB and 1 guy that never really did it in P5.

I think Franklin's Vandy/Penn State is similar to Mack's Tulane/UNC.  

Fickell could be the next Meyer.  His one year OSU interim thing doesn't mean much to me.

Also, I think Gundy might be a good call once the SEC move happens.  The guy is 145-68 at Ok State.

The Stoops OU hire is an outlier but I also agree they don't give a shit about any appearances in recruiting or otherwise.  they just want to win football games and we have "trouble" in our AD committing to that.

53 minutes ago, Best served cold said:

So Sark to OC/QB coach, Milwee is shown the door and Traylor takes HC job? Works for me.

Fuck that.  We get Manning, and then bring in Peyton Manning or Tom Brady as our OC/QB coach.  

Edited by Nivek
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bullet said:

DKR helped us pick Mack over Gary Barnett.  But DKR isn't around anymore.  Mack replacing Mackovic is our one upgrade that wasn't a slam dunk. (anybody was better than McWilliams or Strong).

mack was very good with the non football aspects of the job 

3 hours ago, Steelers Roll Left said:

Texas’ last four national recruiting class rankings from Rivals: 4th, 4th, 14th, 14th; rank in the Big 12: 1st, 1st, 1st, 2nd.

Your current national rank for the class of 2022 is 5th, and 1st in the Big 12.

So maybe the problem IS bad coaching/player development and not some perceived recruiting problem because of the Big 12?  You’re going to have the exact same problems in the SEC that you have in the Big 12 unless you find a good coach.

• Hook 'Em 1

I'm getting a Bill Snyder vibe from Lance Leipold.  Here's his record at Buffalo:

Head coaching record[edit]

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Wisconsin–Whitewater Warhawks (Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference) (2007–2014)
2007 Wisconsin–Whitewater 14–1 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
2008 Wisconsin–Whitewater 13–2 6–1 1st L NCAA Division III Championship    
2009 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
2010 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
2011 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
2012 Wisconsin–Whitewater 7–3 5–2 T–2nd      
2013 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
2014 Wisconsin–Whitewater 15–0 7–0 1st W NCAA Division III Championship    
Wisconsin–Whitewater: 109–6 53–3  
Buffalo Bulls (Mid-American Conference) (2015–2020)
2015 Buffalo 5–7 3–5 4th (East)      
2016 Buffalo 2–10 1–7 6th (East)      
2017 Buffalo 6–6 4–4 T–3rd (East)      
2018 Buffalo 10–4 7–1 1st (East) L Dollar General    
2019 Buffalo 8–5 5–3 T–2nd (East) W Bahamas    
2020 Buffalo 6–1 5–0 1st (East) W Camellia 25 25
Buffalo: 37–33 25–20  
Kansas Jayhawks (Big 12 Conference) (2021–present)
2021 Kansas 2–8 1–6        
Kansas: 2–8 1–6  
Total: 148–47

His teams lost 6 games in 8 years and went undefeated five of those years.  It wouldn't surprise me if Kansas turns out to be a challenging place to win long term, but he seems like a pretty solid hire. 

All things being equal, I get the feeling when presented with an option like Herman (big program success/uneven on his own) or Sark (big program success/average on his own) or Liepold, they will go with the flashy hire, because We're Texas.

On 11/7/2021 at 2:57 PM, Sir Ulrich said:

Lane Kiffen  would be my choice if we had to hire somebody tomorrow. He took a terrible Ole Miss team and while last year was 5-5 he improved throughout the year and now is a win out from a first or second place SEC West finish. 

so is the SEC garbage besides Bama/Georgia or not? I can't keep up.

Joey Freshwater  in Austin with the Horns going to the SEC would be wild. He wouldnt be my number 1 pick, but I'd rather have him than Sark, and would have said so before the season started. At least he had two seperate teams at 10 wins, and has a pretty good shot at getting this years Ole Miss squad to 10 wins as well. Additionally, his troll game is top notch and he would fuck with aggy relentlessly.  It doesn't seem like a likely scenario for a variety of reasons, however. 

• Hook 'Em 1