TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

I know there is a TX BBQ thread that has a little talk of the list coming out next week but figured it should have its own thread for

1. Who is going to be on the list that wasn't last time?

2. Who is not going to be on the list or has a huge drop?

3. Predictions on who will be #1.

4. Any other Surly opinions....

I think there is so much more competition since the last list came out. I know of several quality BBQ joints that opened up before the list came out but weren't "eligible". I think there is also enough great places that joints like Cooper's and City Market don't make it.

Ones I think could possibly pop in there from the D/FW area are 407BBQ, Panther City, Goldee's and Smoke Sessions.

Pecan Lodge will probably have the biggest fall.

I haven't been to some places like Truth and others but I'm going with Hutchins BBQ in McKinney as #1.

There's going to be so many new places. My guess, no one from the previous top 5 will be #1. I am curious how many of the known nostalgic places will be on the list, such as City Market and joints in the city of Lockhart. I believe there will be more Fort Worth/Tarrant area places over the Dallas area. But 407, after three visits, has never impressed me. 

11 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

I think Goldee's or Tejas may be #1, but just guessing.

Goldees is my favorite over all the other joins in DFW, but I havent been to Hutchins. But damn, there's a lot of buzz with sooo many joints across TX. I dont believe you can truly pick a clear #1. Maybe five #1s or ten #1s. That would blow people's minds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dmtx said:

Goldees is my favorite over all the other joins in DFW, but I havent been to Hutchins. But damn, there's a lot of buzz with sooo many joints across TX. I dont believe you can truly pick a clear #1. Maybe five #1s or ten #1s. That would blow people's minds. 

I could get down with the idea of ten #1s with a footnote saying there’s more differentiation between one week and the next at 1a than there is between 1a and 1j.  

4 hours ago, dmtx said:

There's going to be so many new places. My guess, no one from the previous top 5 will be #1. I am curious how many of the known nostalgic places will be on the list, such as City Market and joints in the city of Lockhart. I believe there will be more Fort Worth/Tarrant area places over the Dallas area. But 407, after three visits, has never impressed me. 

DFW BBQ pretty much sucked the whole time I lived there.  Pecan Lodge and Heim opened up, but I don't go to Dallas much (I lived in Weatherford) and Heim was just starting when I left.

So, what makes the BBQ better at these new DFW locations than the BBQ in Luling and Lockhart?  Because that shit is GOOOoooooD!

I will note that I'm probably going to pass on my gameday trips to Snow's from now on.  As Yogi Berra said, "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

14 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

Don't forget Bill Millers.  No WAY they're not Top 5.  I mean, just like Dickey's, they've got lots of restaurants.  And isn't THAT really the measure of how good something is?  Like Applebees and Chiles!

dickies and bill miller's are top 3 for iced tea, no fucking doubt. also, bill miller tacos are damn good 

3 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

DFW BBQ pretty much sucked the whole time I lived there.  Pecan Lodge and Heim opened up, but I don't go to Dallas much (I lived in Weatherford) and Heim was just starting when I left.

So, what makes the BBQ better at these new DFW locations than the BBQ in Luling and Lockhart?  Because that shit is GOOOoooooD!

I will note that I'm probably going to pass on my gameday trips to Snow's from now on.  As Yogi Berra said, "No one goes there nowadays, it’s too crowded."

DFW barbecue has more going for it these days than Lockhart for sure. Also Heim is meh, burnt ends are pretty hard to fuck up and that’s all they really have.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

Tyler's in Amarillo sucks.

Elvie Mae's in Wolfforth is dogshit,

Rejino's in Olton is terribad.

West Texas has NO decent BBQ places.  Mark it down.

Edited by slorch

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

Tyler's in Amarillo sucks.

Elvie Mae's in Wolfforth is dogshit,

Rejino's in Olton is terribad.

West Texas has NO decent BBQ places.  Mark it down.

Don’t know about Rejino’s but you must enjoy your BBQ slathered in expired mustard left in the summer sun for weeks or discarded feminine pads because you couldn’t be more wrong about Evie Mae’s or Tyler’s.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

Don’t know about Rejino’s but you must enjoy your BBQ slathered in expired mustard left in the summer sun for weeks or discarded feminine pads because you couldn’t be more wrong about Evie Mae’s or Tyler’s.

I am a regular at Tyler and hit up Elvie Mae's and Rejinos at least EOM.

Reverse jinxing, bro.   Tyler's is legit AF.

They need to be LOW on the list...

Edited by slorch

5 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

i give up.gif

Regarding Tylers:

The beef rib on Saturdays is marginal.

mac and cheese Thursdays is just shitty sides. Reg, bacon, or green chile/

Jalapeno Cream corn is just boring ass sides nobody should order. Bread pudding is NOT glorious.

Homemade peppercorn sausage Is NOT among the best i have ever had. Jal cheddar sausage is not all that bueno.

The brisket, lean or moist; is pretty much terrible.

4 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

DFW used to be the BBQ capitol of Texas IMO and that's only because of the number of great joints in the area. Heim at their original food truck and Pecan Lodge at the farmers market were such a dominant duo until they began to grow. Lockhart has history in the taste but they're stuck in their post oak ways 

Lockhart’s got nothing on the joints in Houston, Dallas, Austin and Fort Worth now. Hell, there’s better places in SA and Seguin.

29 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Ugh, guess I’ll try Daynes before the hype hits

Haven't had Dayne's yet, but Goldee's has been excellent all six times I have been there and I hope it is not named #1 because there has never been more than four people in the line when I got there.  By the time I left, the line was much longer and tables were full.

3 hours ago, Bill Brasky said:

I mean there is no doubt he joints in Lockhart aren't what they used to be, but to compare the number of quality places in a town of 15k population vs metro areas with several million people is silly 

Kreuz is simply not very good anymore. Smitty's wasn't either last time I was there. I've heard Black's is the best of the three but I doubt it's truly a top 50 place anymore, not with everything that has opened in the last five years. Lockhart was once the BBQ Mecca of the world. It earned that distinction. All empires fall at some point.

2 hours ago, SizzleChest said:

Goldee’s imo.

That would be wild. I went earlier this year and it was fantastic. Guys are super fucking nice too.

I think we should have some sort of legislative hearings on why there were something like a dozen truly good BBQ places in Texas for decades, and most of those pretty far from urban areas.  The last 15 years or so proves it didn’t have to be that way.  

Turns out Houstonians didn’t have to settle for Luther’s and Gabby’s.  Folks in SA didn’t have to eat saddle leather from Bill Miller.  Folks in Dallas didn’t need to get stuck eating the guy down the street’s “chopped brisket” from his $6,000 native stone propane grill.  

Someone should be held accountable for that.  I figure that since they had time to investigate Texas leaving the Big 12, the leg clearly is up for the job.