TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

11 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Interstellar cooked their normal Saturday volume of meat and almost everything was gone after 2 hours.  They are still as inefficient as ever.  The only place I know that is more inefficient is Louis Mueller.

Mickelthwait has been by far the worst.  If there are 8 people in line in front of you, you're waiting 25 minutes to order.  And then by some miracle of time-space, you're also waiting a further 25 minutes to get your food.  Absolutely the worst BBQ experience in Austin, from my visits there.

Hutchins' Frisco location made the list.  McKinney - where Stabby McStabber is employed - wasn't mentioned.  Though this may be due to the fact that the McKinney location was closed for a long while after a fire in Dec 2020 and reopened about a month ago. 
TBF, the Frisco location has improved immensely over the past five years.  It used to be a shell of the original; not any more.

Daniel Vaughn clarified this on Twitter. This goes for all joints that have multiple locations, such as Pinkertons. They had to choose one location for the list. However, they meant all locations and on the app with the map you will see all locations listed (thus the map has more than 50).

Speaking of locations…I never tried Micklethwait in Austin (see reason in previous post). But I did go to the Smithville location before it closed. It was suboptimal and forgettable. I assume Austin location is much better? I see it mentioned a lot.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Daniel Vaughn clarified this on Twitter. This goes for all joints that have multiple locations, such as Pinkertons. They had to choose one location for the list. However, they meant all locations and on the app with the map you will see all locations listed (thus the map has more than 50).

Speaking of locations…I never tried Micklethwait in Austin (see reason in previous post). But I did go to the Smithville location before it closed. It was suboptimal and forgettable. I assume Austin location is much better? I see it mentioned a lot.

People mention it a lot.  I gave it two chances at the Austin location.  It was worse than suboptimal both times.  It was actually just bad.  Cold meat, unrendered fat, just bad.  The sides were decent.  That's the only semi-positive thing I can say.  It's not in my top 25 in the town.

15 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Mickelthwait has been by far the worst.  If there are 8 people in line in front of you, you're waiting 25 minutes to order.  And then by some miracle of time-space, you're also waiting a further 25 minutes to get your food.  Absolutely the worst BBQ experience in Austin, from my visits there.

I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that they just listed the newest location for places that made the list with multiple locations. Good to hear the Frisco location is doing better, that’s not always been the case.

9 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Never had a suboptimal bite of food from the Austin location - proteins, sides, desserts, and specials have all been great.  Haven't been in a couple years, though.

1 minute ago, Covri said:

I think I read somewhere earlier in this thread that they just listed the newest location for places that made the list with multiple locations. Good to hear the Frisco location is doing better, that’s not always been the case.

it's what Grant Pinkerton said first, I think

25 minutes ago, Covri said:

I agree with the sentiment that things changed for the better about 5 or so years ago.  I used to work less than a mile away, so I ate there often enough to really notice the change.

Some thoughts now that I've looked at the entire list:

• Has Tejas fallen off? I haven't been in a couple years, but I'm pretty sure it was Top 10 last go-around.
  • Is Terry Black related to the Black's in Lockhart?
  • Very interesting that the newer Pinkerton's and Truth were both more highly rated than the OGs.
  • What's the story behind the downfall of Pecan Lodge and Heim? I don't keep up with the DFW scene
  • Only 7 places in the entire top 50 opened prior to 2010

9 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Some thoughts now that I've looked at the entire list:

• Has Tejas fallen off? I haven't been in a couple years, but I'm pretty sure it was Top 10 last go-around.
  • Is Terry Black related to the Black's in Lockhart?
  • Very interesting that the newer Pinkerton's and Truth were both more highly rated than the OGs.
  • What's the story behind the downfall of Pecan Lodge and Heim? I don't keep up with the DFW scene
  • Only 7 places in the entire top 50 opened prior to 2010

Tejas hasn't fallen off - actually probably better now.  They were not making their own sausage at the time of the last Top 50 and their chile relleno is outstanding.  There is just more competition now then there was in 2017.

Terry Black's is run by relatives, but no affiliation with Black's in Lockhart.  Terry Black's is much better.

I understand the new Pinkerton's and Truth locations are much nicer than the originals.  If the balloting had any factor for overall experience, then that might have put them over the OGs.  Not sure though.

Not sure about Pecan Lodge and Heim.  I liked Heim much better than Pecan Lodge following 2017, but haven't been to either in 4 years.

• Like 1

No joke. It’s easily 45 minutes until you eat if you’re 5th in line.

7 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

Terry Black's is run by relatives, but no affiliation with Black's in Lockhart.  Terry Black's is much better.

Right on about Terry Black's being much better.  The Black's location on Guadalupe is trash -- they just haul in pre-cooked meat from the Lockhart store.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Well, I guess I should have gone a long time ago. I might have been the one that saw some brief mention of them and came here asking about them. I think the first time I asked no one had any info. Problem is, whenever I am in Austin, I always go to L&L or Valentina’s.

ive yet to find anything better than la barbecue for quality and wait time, in austin

ive yet to find anything better than la barbecue for quality and wait time, in austin

I still haven’t been. I tried last year but when we got there it was only online order for take out. So back to L&L. However, I have never, ever waited at L&L. But I only go on fridays.

Valentina’s is slow as fuck.

8 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I still haven’t been. I tried last year but when we got there it was only online order for take out. So back to L&L. However, I have never, ever waited at L&L. But I only go on fridays.

i havent been since pre covid but made a couple of trips, it was franklin level back then 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I know this is a very unpopular opinion on this thread, but I don’t get the Leroy & Lewis love. If you don’t cook brisket, ribs, and sausage every day, that’s a big negative in my book compared to others that are slinging brisket every day and have to maintain consistency. Yes, the beef cheeks are good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

COVID really fucked with Miguel's operation.  It did not used to be like that.  They were never the fastest, but the last 18 months have been brutal.  The quality of the food was not compromised, imo.  

I know this is a very unpopular opinion on this thread, but I don’t get the Leroy & Lewis love. If you don’t cook brisket, ribs, and sausage every day, that’s a big negative in my book compared to others that are slinging brisket every day and have to maintain consistency. Yes, the beef cheeks are good. 

So the places that are only open 1, w or 3 days a week shouldn’t be considered?

COVID really fucked with Miguel's operation.  It did not used to be like that.  They were never the fastest, but the last 18 months have been brutal.  The quality of the food was not compromised, imo.  

I have never had a bad meal there. But think it has always been slow.

2 hours ago, DalTxHornFan said:

Right on about Terry Black's being much better.  The Black's location on Guadalupe is trash -- they just haul in pre-cooked meat from the Lockhart store.

This is the truth.  That Guadalupe location is shameful.

The Black's in San Marcos has been good.  I've been meaning to try the one in New Braunfels.

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Don't you be hating on Tootsie!!!!

9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Line at Interstellar this morning. They weren't very efficient in moving the line before, so no telling how long the line will take. c30c02daad73f5ab22d660363a7db94f.jpg

Exactly why I hate this dumb BBQ ranking stuff. 

My local joint made the honorable mention list.  I'm very happy for them!  If your wife drags you to "Market Days" in Wimberley, just have her drop you off here.  There is a bar and TV's for sports.  It's a short walk down to the Blanco.  Just don't wander onto some asshole's property and get shot.

https://www.creeksidecookers.com/

• Hook 'Em 2

How the hell did Pizzitola’s make the honorable mention list? The only good thing there is ribs. Always has been. Always will be. 

Blood Bros shouldn’t be in the top 50. Completely unmemorable bbq at outrageous, even for bbq, prices. 

Good for Feges. 

Roegels continues to go under the radar, and that’s fine by me. 

Truth on Washington guys, do they have daily specials? If I’m going to go, and probably wait in line, I want to try everything on the menu. 

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Blood Bros shouldn’t be in the top 50. Completely unmemorable bbq at outrageous, even for bbq, prices. 

Agree.  I made my first and last trip there pre-pandemic along with a client and was very embarrassed that I'd suggested that place for our lunch.  Hype and PR only gets you so far.

Truth on Washington guys, do they have daily specials? If I’m going to go, and probably wait in line, I want to try everything on the menu. 

I don’t recall seeing daily specials, but they do have things like brisket boudin from time to time.

My standard order is 1/2 lb brisket and a link of spicy pepper Jack sausage. I have no idea what the ribs are like. Or even the sides. The pastrami brisket is pretty amazing too.
  • Hook 'Em 1