TM Top 50 BBQ Joints 2021

Both Tacos

the comments on the FB post are great

• "if your top 10 doesn't include Louie Muellers, Kreuz Market or Smitt's you are rating something other than real Texas Barbecue" > someone responded by saying "sounds like you need to visit some places that opened less than 25 years ago"
  • someone said that Daniel Vaughn had "little or no real street cred" lol
  • John Tesar asked "if the new generation is great or if it's an example of inclusion? legit question"

2 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

I guess. But knowing his personality, it’s not coming from a good hearted place. Modesty was never his strong suit. Also, Rudy’s already does the worst bbq in texas thing.

absolutely fair, you would know way more than me on this front.

the comments on the FB post are great
  • "if your top 10 doesn't include Louie Muellers, Kreuz Market or Smitt's you are rating something other than real Texas Barbecue" > someone responded by saying "sounds like you need to visit some places that opened less than 25 years ago"
  • someone said that Daniel Vaughn had "little or no real street cred" lol
  • John Tesar asked "if the new generation is great or if it's an example of inclusion? legit question"

Haha that is great.

absolutely fair, you would know way more than me on this front.

I don’t know about way more. And yes, his BBQ is very, very good.

10 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Oh a certain someone who used to post here is already going to make t-shirts for number 51. Again.

I didn't think he was even in the food business any longer after he had to close the Galveston place down due to the pandemic.

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I like the list - really gives credit for those places going above and beyond the Texas trinity.  So happy to see Cooper's off and no issues with any of the other that were dropped.  I have a soft spot for Kreutz as it was one of the first real Texas barbecue joints I went to when I was a kid, but they have fallen way off.

Burnt Bean is the only one of the top ten I haven't been to and I'm kicking myself for not going last Sunday which I had planned to do.

Twenty-five new places for me to check out - time for a few road trips!

I get this sentiment...

However, I also look at it from the other direction, too.  Texas BBQ is what it is BECAUSE of the trinity and simplicity.  Just like KC is known for burnt ends/sweet sauce, Carolina for hog and their different sauces, etc.

I just hope this doesn't stray TOO far from the original.

Don't want it to be like a list of the top 50 Tex Mex joints having a #1 because of their Lomo Saltado and Arroz Chaufa...just because they didn't stick to the origins of Tex Mex.

That said, I'm going to have to try a lot of these new places.  Glad to see DFW is getting better BBQ than Dickeys and Rudys...

Now...I just need some good BBQ in Corpus.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ag with kids said:

I get this sentiment...

However, I also look at it from the other direction, too.  Texas BBQ is what it is BECAUSE of the trinity and simplicity.  Just like KC is known for burnt ends/sweet sauce, Carolina for hog and their different sauces, etc.

The newer places do the Texas Trinity better than many the old places (Kreuz, City Market, Cooper's, . . .), too.  They haven't supplanted the traditional, just made it better and added to it. 

With that being said, there is something special about going into one of the true old school barbecue joints.  The original Kreuz (now Smitty's) and Louis Mueller are two of my favorite places to eat Texas barbecue.  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

The newer places do the Texas Trinity better than many the old places (Kreuz, City Market, Cooper's, . . .), too.  They haven't supplanted the traditional, just made it better and added to it. 
With that being said, there is something special about going into one of the true old school barbecue joints.  The original Kreuz (now Smitty's) and Louis Mueller are two of my favorite places to eat Texas barbecue.  

I agree with this. In fact, it is extremely rare that I order anything other than Brisket and sausage at each place (some exceptions being L&L or Louis Mueller).

These new places are kicking the shit out of the old ones when it comes to the trinity. That doesn’t take away their place in history.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

Jordan Jackson abandons Bodacious-Moberly, lands back in the top 10 at Franklin.  Long, but interesting read about his struggles.  Kinda feel bad for Bryan Bingham.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/bbq/celebrated-pitmaster-jordan-jackson-recovery-bodacious-bar-b-q/

He left too and opened Sunbird BBQ which is fantastic. If he opens it a few months earlier he is on the list.

https://www.instagram.com/sunbirdbbq/?hl=en

• Hook 'Em 2

I wouldn't walk across the street to get those stupid Coca~Cola prizes.  

No kidding.

I mean, at least do some crappy Dr Pepper prizes, this is Texas BBQ not Georgia BBQ.

The Yeti prizes were at least topical and nice (regardless of how overpriced they are).

Also, but I haven’t bothered to confirm it, someone on Twitter commented that one of the beers on the table was from Montana. I am sure it is a fine beer, but how many craft breweries does Texas now have. Show some love TEXAS monthly.

I am glad to see that this list shook some things up.  The Lockhart, Taylor, and Llano-type places have just not kept up.  I had a Coopers-Llano pork rib this weekend that I would have been embarrassed to serve at my own home.  It wasn't fully cooked or rendered and it was way too salty.  They are just not paying attention to details.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

I am glad to see that this list shook some things up.  The Lockhart, Taylor, and Llano-type places have just not kept up.  I had a Coopers-Llano pork rib this weekend that I would have been embarrassed to serve at my own home.  It wasn't fully cooked or rendered and it was way too salty.  They are just not paying attention to details.

I’ve long thought Cooper’s was disappointing and the Lockhart bunch overrated but I would include Louie Muellers on that list, at all.  They are still sublime on every visit.  Maybe I just love heavy pepper.  

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

Corpus hasn't had good BBQ since Roy's BBQ went out of business.  My senior year in high school at King (1970), the five chopped beef sandwiches for a $1 made up the four food groups for most of us.  Coming back the first weekend in November and am going to stop in Mathis to sample the menu there as your update confirms what I suspected regarding quality in my old hometown.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Ag with kids said:

I get this sentiment...

Don't want it to be like a list of the top 50 Tex Mex joints having a #1 because of their Lomo Saltado and Arroz Chaufa...just because they didn't stick to the origins of Tex Mex.

That said, I'm going to have to try a lot of these new places.  Glad to see DFW is getting better BBQ than Dickeys and Rudys...

This is where I am, with some nods to a place like Vera’s, their barbacoa is ambrosia, cooked in the ground, and 100 percent traditional.  A lot of the newer places do the Trinity better than the old school places. But a place like Louie Mueller’s where the smoke penetrates the walls…that’s a temple. Kinda like how going to see a game at Ratliff is still going to be a bit more special than at at Southlake even if the team in DFW is better.

If I’m ordering barbecue I want brisket, sausage, ribs. I want peppery pinto beans. I want a piece of cobbler or bread pudding. I’m sure I’d love the Laotian sausage or whatever had a peach tea glaze, but I won’t order it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, hornian said:

Interstellar being #2 is going to considerably increase my wait times. Happy for them but sad for me. 

I picked up a pre-order from them yesterday at 4:45pm. The couple in front of me had walked in and ordered off the menu and they had pretty much everything but ribs sill available.

RIP

14 minutes ago, nolongerU2horn said:

I picked up a pre-order from them yesterday at 4:45pm. The couple in front of me had walked in and ordered off the menu and they had pretty much everything but ribs sill available.

RIP

I had no idea that NP had shut down and wound up eating there by accident while looking for a sandwich. I thought it was good but I didn’t think it was better than Franklin. There was almost no one there that day either, maybe 3 tables being used on a Friday around lunch. 

If anyone makes a journey to 1701, I'll gladly join you.

For those of you that don't know, the Broussards have been in the mortuary/crematorium business since 1889.  Now 5th generation family run business.

I could make a ton of bad jokes, but Blue has done a hell of a job expanding the family into BBQ.  Happy to see Beaumont on the list.  Also happy for the family at La Vaca.

I've never had service as good as I did at La Vaca - in any restaurant, at any price.  That family is exceptionally hospitable.

Edited by BearSchlong
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Good for the citizens of Wolfforth and Seguin. Not the most traditional BBQ centers. I'm sure they're thrilled to have some good eats in town. 

Evie Mae's is legit and I've felt that way long before this list was released. 

Rejinos is in Olton, pop 2215 and about 50 miles N of Lubbock and 85 miles S of Amarillo.  You gotta be wanting to go there on purpose, but definitely worth the trip.

Unless I missed it in the recap, Tyler's in Amarillo didn't make the list, even in the honorable mentions.   What a laugher. I was joking around earlier in the thread about how 'bad' it is, but his 'cue joint is absolutely legit.

Conversely Tom & Bingo's in LBK is about as meh as it gets, IMHO; yet it's on the HM list.   Guess we don't all judge BBQ the same way, but if I'm forking over premium cash, it had better light up the taste buds.

Edited by slorch

If anyone makes a journey to 1701, I'll gladly join you.
For those of you that don't know, the Broussards have been in the mortuary/crematorium business since 1889.  Now 5th generation family run business.
I could make a ton of bad jokes, but Blue has done a hell of a job expanding the family into BBQ.  Happy to see Beaumont on the list.  Also happy for the family at La Vaca.
I've never had service as good as I did at La Vaca - in any restaurant, at any price.  That family is exceptionally hospitable.

Well shit. I was at 1701 last Friday. And yeah, the folks at Lavaca are very nice. They deserved to make the list.

I've only been to Goldee's once and thought is was good but not great.  They guys working there were super cool though.

The one I really don't get is BBQ on the Brazos.  I've been to the Cressen location and when they were on the circle.  Each time I was disapointed.

Agreed with the comments on Heim's.  It just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Panther City is the best in FW .

Glad to see Smokey Joe's in South Dallas get some love. Used to drive right by them on my way home when I lived out that way and would stop in at least once a week. There was never a line; probably will be now though.

Edited by Dutch

3 hours ago, NoName said:

"if your top 10 doesn't include Louie Muellers, Kreuz Market or Smitt's you are rating something other than real Texas Barbecue" > someone responded by saying "sounds like you need to visit some places that opened less than 25 years ago"

So true. Only people who ate those places a long time ago find them among the top still while they haven’t tried any of the new places. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White