Respect for the defense

Knighthawk

Well I was at the osu game and just had a chance to watch the tape.  The D played a great game.  Especially considering they played OU the week before in a slugfest while osu was drinking mimosas during a fucking bye.   Well fuck the b12 scheduling jackasses.    I don’t remember this kind of schedule fuckery in prior seasons but maybe it’s happed once or twice before.  

For you sunshine pumpers, I’m with you and I see a pretty good run to close the season.   Maybe one more loss but that’s about it. 

• Hook 'Em 9
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

Well I was at the osu game and just had a chance to watch the tape.  The D played a great game.  Especially considering they played OU the week before in a slugfest while osu was drinking mimosas during a fucking bye.   Well fuck the b12 scheduling jackasses.    I don’t remember this kind of schedule fuckery in prior seasons but maybe it’s happed once or twice before.  

For you sunshine pumpers, I’m with you and I see a pretty good run to close the season.   Maybe one more loss but that’s about it. 

I’m a sad sad downtrodden aging man today, but I’m with you on the run to close the season.

I don’t feel there’s any benefit to trashing our players. Several that get trashed aren’t always getting help from their coaches.

The defense as a whole unfortunately has had 3 bad quarters, actually miserable quarters, but otherwise have been solid. I’m not including 2nd half versus Tech cause that was game over. We even played most of yesterday without two of our better players being on the field for all the snaps. One of those was our choice however.

Take away the bs roughing penalty and the pick 6 and OSU has 6 points thru 3 quarters.

The defense needs to keep working, but the offense has way too many 3 and outs. We either score or are punting it back after 3 plays. Obviously the offense is outstanding at times, but they’re terrible all the other times. There’s no in between.

Still in on 10 wins.
  • Hook 'Em 3

Maybe the defensive numbers wouldn't be so shitty if the offense could get at least one fucking 1st down?  For fucks sake, the defense is not the problem with this team.  We live and die with our offensive line.  For some reason our o-line just gives up in the second half and this is the result.

• Hook 'Em 7

4 minutes ago, Assman said:

Maybe the defensive numbers wouldn't be so shitty if the offense could get at least one fucking 1st down?  For fucks sake, the defense is not the problem with this team.  We live and die with our offensive line.  For some reason our o-line just gives up in the second half and this is the result.

Yeah, the Time of Possession difference in the 4th is pretty bad. The offense is screwing the defense with a bunch of 3 and outs. Not to mention Casey was getting beat down in the backfield a lot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Assman said:

Not kidding, I think they must be tired.  There's been and S&C thread already.  Probably too thin to rotate anyone.  

10 hours ago, Had Enough said:

I’m a sad sad downtrodden aging man today, but I’m with you on the run to close the season.

I don’t feel there’s any benefit to trashing our players. Several that get trashed aren’t always getting help from their coaches.

The defense as a whole unfortunately has had 3 bad quarters, actually miserable quarters, but otherwise have been solid. I’m not including 2nd half versus Tech cause that was game over. We even played most of yesterday without two of our better players being on the field for all the snaps. One of those was our choice however.

Take away the bs roughing penalty and the pick 6 and OSU has 6 points thru 3 quarters.

The defense needs to keep working, but the offense has way too many 3 and outs. We either score or are punting it back after 3 plays. Obviously the offense is outstanding at times, but they’re terrible all the other times. There’s no in between.

Still in on 10 wins.

IMO Sark has a game plan to move the ball and get points. Has to shoot his load all in the first half. At Bama he could rely on an Oline and rb so he could pick the times for his geniusness. Unfortunately he doesn’t have that luxury now, has to try and get them early so as not to put the def. on the field all game without a lead. Def definitely played better but the 2nd half off production was ass. Plus I would like to know if Casey is injured. At this point need to play both qbs to see if card is a viable replacement or after injury to Casey or just better overall with experience 

Obviously the defense performed better.  But when the game is on the fucking line, they collapsed.  It sucks that they held up the whole game while the offense did jack shit, but when the game is on the line... you have to fucking pull through.  2 weeks in a row where they gave up the lead in the 4th quarter.  This team is fundamentally flawed.  We lack elite talent.  The coaches are not putting the talent we have in the right positions on defense.  I've come to terms that 2005 was a catching lighting in a bottle and I fully expect to wait another fucking 30 years before our next championship... hopefully I'm alive and not in the ground.  Until we get another VY, we are what we are.  

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Obviously the defense performed better.  But when the game is on the fucking line, they collapsed.  It sucks that they held up the whole game while the offense did jack shit, but when the game is on the line... you have to fucking pull through.  2 weeks in a row where they gave up the lead in the 4th quarter.  This team is fundamentally flawed.  We lack elite talent.  The coaches are not putting the talent we have in the right positions on defense.  I've come to terms that 2005 was a catching lighting in a bottle and I fully expect to wait another fucking 30 years before our next championship... hopefully I'm alive and not in the ground.  Until we get another VY, we are what we are.  

LSU with Burrows - Nat. Champions

LSU without Burrows - Ogre = gone

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, 6th Street said:

D3D4B2A4-34CA-42AB-AFF2-AA226D95577F.png.9eab9a0a543e0e471ed9c9fb0945f6b9.png

Clutch effort. Gave up only 170 yards. 11 first downs, and 16 points with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. 

That line is just as much or more of an indictment of the offense and how shitty Casey and the oline played.  If the defense is constantly on the field at the end of the game this is what will happen every time. 

• Hook 'Em 3

IMO Sark has a game plan to move the ball and get points. Has to shoot his load all in the first half. At Bama he could rely on an Oline and rb so he could pick the times for his geniusness. Unfortunately he doesn’t have that luxury now, has to try and get them early so as not to put the def. on the field all game without a lead. Def definitely played better but the 2nd half off production was ass. Plus I would like to know if Casey is injured. At this point need to play both qbs to see if card is a viable replacement or after injury to Casey or just better overall with experience 

The play calling does look great in the first half. If his Oline is great, he’d look great. But to this point, he’s been awful at creating plays to either get firsts or create short yardage situations. Either that or Casey simply overlooks the underneath guys. Not every play action needs to be a 20 yard throw.

OSUs FB/HB/TE or whatever he is had 2 catches for 30. Easy designs, easy throws. That’s two first downs we could have used that changes field position at a minimum. RoJo to the flat out of two back. TEs to the flat, drag routes off play action. Taking 5-7 yards would make a huge difference.

Between RoJo, the TEs and Keilan, we had 5 touches. That needs to double at least. If that happens, Bijan still gets his 20-25 because we’re running more plays. And remember we don’t use a QB run game either.

Sark is calling plays like he has his ultimate lineup out there. It is a large detriment to the Oline because defenses are just attacking full throttle.

It’s kind of amazing to see so many awesome plays then such sorry plays all in the same game. Two games in row.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Bullneck said:

Not kidding, I think they must be tired.  There's been and S&C thread already.  Probably too thin to rotate anyone.  

we were rotating olineman, then the center gets hurt, Kerstetter goes to center, Karic to RT and then we really started to suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

43 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

The play calling does look great in the first half. If his Oline is great, he’d look great. But to this point, he’s been awful at creating plays to either get firsts or create short yardage situations. Either that or Casey simply overlooks the underneath guys. Not every play action needs to be a 20 yard throw.

OSUs FB/HB/TE or whatever he is had 2 catches for 30. Easy designs, easy throws. That’s two first downs we could have used that changes field position at a minimum. RoJo to the flat out of two back. TEs to the flat, drag routes off play action. Taking 5-7 yards would make a huge difference.

Between RoJo, the TEs and Keilan, we had 5 touches. That needs to double at least. If that happens, Bijan still gets his 20-25 because we’re running more plays. And remember we don’t use a QB run game either.

Sark is calling plays like he has his ultimate lineup out there. It is a large detriment to the Oline because defenses are just attacking full throttle.

It’s kind of amazing to see so many awesome plays then such sorry plays all in the same game. Two games in row.

for fuck's sake watch Sark's post game presser, it's the same plays vs the same defense, our oline is too stupid the block the same for a whole game.

• Hook 'Em 1

for fuck's sake watch Sark's post game presser, it's the same plays vs the same defense, our oline is too stupid the block the same for a whole game.

For fucks sake imagine the defense doing the same thing the whole game when it wasn’t working. I’m not sure anyone buys that they’d make no adjustments.

But even so when you aren’t littered with all Americans on offense, a decent defense will begin to make plays when they see the same shit over and over again.

So any play caller worth a shit will do something, anything, to slow them down when that begins to occur. And some of the shit requires limited blocking to work effectively.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, 6th Street said:

D3D4B2A4-34CA-42AB-AFF2-AA226D95577F.png.9eab9a0a543e0e471ed9c9fb0945f6b9.png

Clutch effort. Gave up only 170 yards. 11 first downs, and 16 points with the game on the line in the 4th quarter. 

Check out those offensive numbers, though.  One.  One yard.  Average per play?  Less than one.  Getting fatigued with seeing the number one?  Well take a vacation in the first downs category:  ZERO!  Yay offense.  Thanks for the oxygen, fellas.

• Haha 1

Yeah, the one yard was what stood out to me too. Clearly we have issues on the defensive side of the ball and there's a lot of work that needs to be done there, but almost any defense is going to get its asshole ripped open like it was @NowThis if they're getting spelled by an offense that looks like ours did in the second half. One first down in the 4Q and there's a good chance we win the game. All we needed was one. We got one yard.

Edited by ultimaton
  • Like 1

OSU scored 25 offensive points. If I'm not mistaken, that's the most they scored all season offensively. They scored 31 against Kansas State but one of those was also a defensive interception for touchdown, making 24 offensive points. The rest were at least four or five points below that. And that included such powerhouses as Tulsa. They've gotten out of the twenties only twice Us & K-State.

Our defense looked good by comparison mostly because Oklahoma State is not a potent offensive team this year it has a mistake prone quarterback (who BTW look like Tom Brady in the 4th quarter). But no, our defense is not good.

Lol Laughing GIF

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Just when I think that after 25 years on the UT boards, there's simply nothing more I can see from the fellow idiots in this fanbase, a thread like this shows up and saves the day. Hot Christ I laughed hard when I started reading this and the responses. I assumed that when I clicked on the thread, it was going to be some sort of angry sarcastic riff on the defense's ongoing ineptitude on a game by game basis. Nope. This was pure, uncut sunshine pumping and it truly knocked me on my ass.

Thank you, OP, for one of the funniest things I've read in weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, F250 said:

Yeah, the Time of Possession difference in the 4th is pretty bad. The offense is screwing the defense with a bunch of 3 and outs. Not to mention Casey was getting beat down in the backfield a lot.

And the defense is falling apart in the 4th.

Yeah the offense made it more difficult, but the defense was horrible in the 4th both the last two weeks.  25 points and 16.  At that rate, that's 82 points a game.  Nobody gets a pass for that horrible a result.

Its not like soccer where you run constantly for 60 minutes.  Our players are not in shape if its fatigue.

36 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Lol Laughing GIF

HOLY FUCKING SHIT!

Just when I think that after 25 years on the UT boards, there's simply nothing more I can see from the fellow idiots in this fanbase, a thread like this shows up and saves the day. Hot Christ I laughed hard when I started reading this and the responses. I assumed that when I clicked on the thread, it was going to be some sort of angry sarcastic riff on the defense's ongoing ineptitude on a game by game basis. Nope. This was pure, uncut sunshine pumping and it truly knocked me on my ass.

Thank you, OP, for one of the funniest things I've read in weeks. 

So what happened?

Did they play well for three quarters or is that just the same shitastic OSU offense that’s been running ineffectively all year early and often in an attempt to keep Sanders from torpedoing them and the game in the first 20 minutes of play?

Their big adjustment seemed to be realizing that our backside defender would run himself out of position and Warren should just cut back against the grain. And then their run fakes had teeth. 

That’s not to excuse the offensive ineptitude that started as soon as Casey served up his pick 6, but that’s a bad Poke offense that will get them boat raced a few times this season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Bullneck said:

So what happened?

What happened? Fine, I'll tell you what happened.

Almost 12 years ago, on January 7th, 2010, Greg Davis called a running play with our star QB into the fucking teeth of an NFL-laden Alabama defensive line. Said QB, Colt McCoy, was then injured, pulled from the game, and Gale Gilbert passed his karmic rape gene on down to his child and Texas football has been getting buttfucked in public against its will from that moment forward. 

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, victory88 said:

I've come to terms that 2005 was a catching lighting in a bottle and I fully expect to wait another fucking 30 years before our next championship... hopefully I'm alive and not in the ground.  Until we get another VY, we are what we are.  

in that case we're like this guy...

bon jovi GIF

halfway there.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

What happened? Fine, I'll tell you what happened.

Almost 12 years ago, on January 7th, 2010, Greg Davis called a running play with our star QB into the fucking teeth of an NFL-laden Alabama defensive line. Said QB, Colt McCoy, was then injured, pulled from the game, and Gale Gilbert passed his karmic rape gene on down to his child and Texas football has been getting buttfucked in public against its will from that moment forward. 

That's a little less specific than I would have expected.  

We saw improvement from the defense against OSU. I think it mostly has to do with Gundy having a shitty offense, which is rare. They're throwing at almost half the rate they normally do per game to protect themselves because their quarterback is a fairly athletic moron. Half of his throws could be fine or catastrophic. They're going for a ball control and clock management offense. 

It's the most unGundy Gundy ever. He seems to be maximizing production based on what he has, instead of the arrogant idiocy we've seen here for years of "we never deviate from who we are" horseshit. He has a very mediocre team and is undefeated. He's a good coach and is strategically agile. I don't know what we are or who we are. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Bullneck said:

That's a little less specific than I would have expected.  

What do you want me to analyze that hasn't already been beaten to death? 

That our S&C game looks weak right now? (It does, but that isn't the only problem causing Arkansas and a 54-17 blowout over the last 4 second half quarters)

That a 3 man front with no pass rush and no regular blitz answers looks like it is going to repeatedly fail? (this seems knowable ahead of the first snap of the season, much less 7 games in, but here we are)

That the recruiting depth sucks because of horrific attrition from the Herman classes? (it does, but again, a convenient scapegoat to absolve coaching transgressions)

That the turtling on offense from Sarkisian and the terrible play from Casey Thompson (in the OSU game for Casey) didn't do the defense any favors? (they didn't, but blaming them to exonerate the defensive debacle is laughable as a standalone excuse)

It's a fucking confluence of weak shit. No group or purpose should be exempted. Talking up the defense after they've had their pants pulled down in public repeatedly this season is either misinformed or disingenuous, and ridiculous either way. 

The Football Board should be renamed "Outmanned, Outgunned, & Outcoached" until we see Texas field a team that is legitimately a part of the playoff discussion the first week in which the playoff rankings are unveiled. To be clear, that won't happen this year and it damn sure hasn't been the case in the prior 7 seasons with a CFP either. 

In short, this thread is a steaming pile of poo and the only productive way to deal with it is to ignore it or lampoon it. I was bored so I lampooned it. If you feel differently, I'm sorry that you're wrong and can't see what's happening for the reality that it is. I'm also sorry I'm not sorry for not giving a fuck about anyone's feelings who actually has been watching these games and thinks "man, respect for this defense, right? amirite guys? i need to go post this on a football forum."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Th OP is acting like Kwiatkowski's defense didn't give up multiple 3rd and longs to simple handoffs because he decided that a 3 man front with shitty LBs was a good idea and surely Gundy would try to pass the ball. Most before the 4Q had even started.

We are seeing why the Pac 12 has been, for the most part, an afterthought to the CFP. Their best DC is getting consistently pants'd by mediocre talented, but well coached Big 12 offensive teams. I would include Arkansas in that statement as well, as they have mediocre talent, but a Big 12 OC.

It amazes me that despite all the evidence seen on a weekly basis he continues to roll with an odd front with shitty LBs.

Edited by HtownHorn

No shit. Of course the defense needs to get significantly better but with just a little help from the offense on Saturday and that’s a win.  I noticed OSU didn’t throw any pick sixes.   But like CTJ said it’s an all encompassing team failure so even if they squeezed out a win the issues still remain.  We don’t have enough talent to make stupid mistakes against good teams and get away with it to still win games.  The one major complaint that I have is that they continued to play 2 high safeties when everyone knew they were going to keep running it every play.  That’s just stubborn bullshit.  Kwiatkowski needs to help the guys out there.  

9 minutes ago, stork642 said:

No shit. Of course the defense needs to get significantly better but with just a little help from the offense on Saturday and that’s a win.  I noticed OSU didn’t throw any pick sixes.   But like CTJ said it’s an all encompassing team failure so even if they squeezed out a win the issues still remain.  We don’t have enough talent to make stupid mistakes against good teams and get away with it to still win games.  The one major complaint that I have is that they continued to play 2 high safeties when everyone knew they were going to keep running it every play.  That’s just stubborn bullshit.  Kwiatkowski needs to help the guys out there.  

Kwiatkowski needs to be shown the door and told that we will not be giving him a positive referral. I was excited about the hire, but he’s been the same idiot for 7 games now, and Todd Orlando thinks he needs to mix it up a little bit. 

Baylor has an off week and they’ve run for almost 1700 yards in 7 games. Their two top TBs have 1200 yards rushing. I assume we’re about to see another “respect the defense” performance in which they run for 275 and win 44-28 with half of their running yardage coming on 3rd and 4th down. Prepare your anuses accordingly.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Agreed completely. I was hoping to see more 2 back and/or qb run game just to keep the defense honest from selling out to stop BR. 

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Kwiatkowski needs to be shown the door and told that we will not be giving him a positive referral. I was excited about the hire, but he’s been the same idiot for 7 games now, and Todd Orlando thinks he needs to mix it up a little bit. 

Baylor has an off week and they’ve run for almost 1700 yards in 7 games. Their two top TBs have 1200 yards rushing. I assume we’re about to see another “respect the defense” performance in which they run for 275 and win 44-28 with half of their running yardage coming on 3rd and 4th down. Prepare your anuses accordingly.  

Baylor by 16?  I’m a little interested.    Maybe a lot interested.   

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

What do you want me to analyze that hasn't already been beaten to death? 

That our S&C game looks weak right now? (It does, but that isn't the only problem causing Arkansas and a 54-17 blowout over the last 4 second half quarters)

That a 3 man front with no pass rush and no regular blitz answers looks like it is going to repeatedly fail? (this seems knowable ahead of the first snap of the season, much less 7 games in, but here we are)

That the recruiting depth sucks because of horrific attrition from the Herman classes? (it does, but again, a convenient scapegoat to absolve coaching transgressions)

That the turtling on offense from Sarkisian and the terrible play from Casey Thompson (in the OSU game for Casey) didn't do the defense any favors? (they didn't, but blaming them to exonerate the defensive debacle is laughable as a standalone excuse)

It's a fucking confluence of weak shit. No group or purpose should be exempted. Talking up the defense after they've had their pants pulled down in public repeatedly this season is either misinformed or disingenuous, and ridiculous either way. 

The Football Board should be renamed "Outmanned, Outgunned, & Outcoached" until we see Texas field a team that is legitimately a part of the playoff discussion the first week in which the playoff rankings are unveiled. To be clear, that won't happen this year and it damn sure hasn't been the case in the prior 7 seasons with a CFP either. 

In short, this thread is a steaming pile of poo and the only productive way to deal with it is to ignore it or lampoon it. I was bored so I lampooned it. If you feel differently, I'm sorry that you're wrong and can't see what's happening for the reality that it is. I'm also sorry I'm not sorry for not giving a fuck about anyone's feelings who actually has been watching these games and thinks "man, respect for this defense, right? amirite guys? i need to go post this on a football forum."

Suspicion confirmed.

5 hours ago, Had Enough said:

For fucks sake imagine the defense doing the same thing the whole game when it wasn’t working. I’m not sure anyone buys that they’d make no adjustments.

But even so when you aren’t littered with all Americans on offense, a decent defense will begin to make plays when they see the same shit over and over again.

So any play caller worth a shit will do something, anything, to slow them down when that begins to occur. And some of the shit requires limited blocking to work effectively.

you still haven't watched the post game presser huh?

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

Go back and watch the tape.  Casey missed reads really the whole game but especially on third down plays the entire second half.  We desperately need to get our ends involved.  Looks to me as some of this is due to QB reads but a major part is with our  offensive schemes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Fuck.  I just threw up in my mouth.   This game could get really ugly fast.  This game  could become known as The Burnt Orange Turd in the Toilet Bowl.