Yanny or Laurel?

Baboontyme

12 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Anyone who says Yanny is just looking for attention and trying to be different. 

Or they're just complete idiots, but who knows why people hear different things really.

My wife never seems to hear the actual words coming out of my mouth, she hears what she wants to hear.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

I first heard it on a FB linked clip (it had an orange background) and I clearly heard “Laurel” in a deep male voice, every time. Played for the missus (I didn’t tell her what the choices were) and she heard, “Yangy?”  When I mentioned Laurel, she said no way. She later played it on her iPad and I heard  “Yammy.” Since then, I mostly hear “Yammy,” never “Yanny.”

Theres a Tweet our there where a guy changes the pitch or tone, and posted five variations. I can’t remember exactly what he tweaked, but by doing so, you hear either Laurel or Yanny/Yammy pretty clearly.

Scroll down to Steve Pomeroy’s tweet with links to pitch changes: https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2018/05/dont-rest-on-your-laurels/560483/

Edited by Vito Andolini
Added The Atlantic article

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Laurel, can't hear Yanni despite how hard I try, even with all the pitch shifting and EQ adjustments. Is this a speaker quality issue or hearing loss issue or some kind of brain thing?

It’s not speaker quality. My wife played it from her phone last night. Both listening to the same source, and me not knowing what I was supposed to be hearing-I heard Laurel, she heard Yanny.

She does have some hearing loss, so that’s an interesting suggestion.

It's almost as if your age and other factors determine how well you can hear certain pitches and frequencies!!! This kind of shit pisses me off because it reminds me how uneducated people are wrt to basic science (not necessarily here but all over social media for sure).

Ignore the stupid Aggy hat,