NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

Solid rookie class all around.  Some years only 2-3 guys can play but there are at least 10 dudes will be good in the league for 10 years.  Barnes has been the biggest surprise considering his lack of any offensive skills in college.  (Different game, I know.)  I still think Cade is good long term and he's suffering now because of his early injuries.  

Suggs always had a high floor but a low ceiling but then again, he's stuck in Orlando.  Dudes like Kuminga and Booknight can't seem to get off the bench.

Giddey with Okie City is interesting.  He gets good offensive looks but his shots just aren't falling.  They will over time, though.  NBA body at 19 with amazing court awareness and a very good rebounder.  Could easily be an 18/8/8 guy in a year or so.

5n6tewkfbm181.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

2 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

So is Anthony Edwards or Lamelo Ball on a better trajectory?

Feel bad for Jokic. Porter Jr looking like a John Wall contract. 

I think Ant has a higher ceiling. For some reason I think LaMelo is already sort of what he's going to be. Which isn't necessarily a knock as he's already really good and contributing more to winning basketball than Ant. Granted his team also seems a lot less dysfunctional.

Ironically - I think they'd be good together. LaMelo still isn't quite a score first guy and Ant needs someone that can run the offense so he can play off ball a little more and get better looks. Minny doesn't really have a floor general type dude and a lot of Ant's issues seem to be consistency and picking his spots. He needs someone to tell him when to shoot. 

2 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, the Warriors are the most fun watch in the league since the pre-KD Warriors. As great as those KD teams were, I still think we were  sort of robbed when they added Durant. They lost their true identity. If they stay healthy and Klay comes back anywhere near his pre-injury self, they are running through the league again. 

Also, there was some back and forth discussion up thread about Andrew Wiggins and his improvement. I don't care what the numbers say, he's playing hard, winning basketball for the first time in his career. He's out there d-ing up and diving on the floor, and taking his offense in the flow of the game. He should have always been this guy instead of being "the guy".

I think part of the Wiggins stuff is that he's been better than he's gotten credit for in the past. So sure - he's contributing to a good team for the first time in his career but he's always been capable of that. He's never going to be the best player on the floor - he just needed a little more fire in his game - especially on D. He showed signs of this last year but ultimately they just weren't very good.

And I don't know about the W's "running through the league". They might - but the playoffs are a different animal - especially for Steph. The only year they really pimp-slapped everyone was 2017 with KD. 2015 they could have been had but just didn't run into any great teams. 2016 they ran into 2 great teams and got taken to 7 in both and lost the 2nd series. 

But - the field might be closer to a year like 2015 this season. The Bucks if healthy and motivated are certainly better than anyone in 2015, so are the Nets, but will those teams be at full strength? And Harden in the playoffs is always a ?. I do think this W's team is probably more dangerous come playoff time than what they were pre-KD. They're older and wiser and I think elevate their team around them a bit better.

11 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Lots of old white people going after Lebron for getting the fans ejected.

Not sure how saying Lebrons kid should die in a car accident is fine as a fan.

It’s not.  I think a lot of people just assumed he was being a thin-skinned bitch because he has an extensive history of being just that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s not.  I think a lot of people just assumed he was being a thin-skinned bitch because he has an extensive history of being just that.

Be that as it may but how many times has he did this in his almost 2 decade career? 

Banter is one thing. Most players accept it and are amused by it. But when you bring up their kids and them dying is totally out of line. But Lebron is easy to hate for so many so they side with these loser fans automatically before even knowing what was said. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Pretty much this.  Had LBJ came out and said exactly what happened post game, absolutely no one would have taken the fans side.  Instead, he left it at some generic sounding "abuse" and given his past, no one is going to cut him slack.

Hell, if the TV crew caught it live during the game that a fan was talking about LBJ's kids (or any other player's kids, for that matter) I would have applauded LBJ (or any other player) going over and just beating the shit out of them.

Edited by Francisco 2.0

10 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

No doubt. But he's played more games than anyone in the league. For probably 75% of those games, he's been the most polarizing and hated player in the NBA, especially since he began (rather clumsily) dipping his toe into social issues. And, in all those games, you can count on one hand the number of fans he's tossed. I'm guessing that, in every case, some pretty fucked up shit was said.

3 hours ago, aggie08 said:

One of my favorite little things about this sub forum is how quickly and easily Message Board User turned on LeBron after he decided that he no longer wanted to play in Cleveland (again).

Houston fans still support and defend James Harden--a dude who got everything he ever wanted from their front office, no showed in elimination playoff games and still went to the strip club afterwards, played an aesthetically appalling brand of basketball, never won shit, and purposely ate his way out of town--but MBU was ready to pile on LeBron while there were still moving trucks in his driveway.

I'm not knocking you for it. It's awesome. Carry on.

My China comment above was obviously in jest and if the fans said something about Bronny dying then of course they should have been ejected (though I do wonder if any other player would have had the influence to get two fans kicked out - I've been to sporting events and I've heard worse).

As for me "turning on" Lebron...allow me to digress while the family is prepping the bird & stuff.  His legacy in Cleveland is....complicated.

I've been following Lebron since I heard about this kid in Akron who won Ohio's Mr Basketball as a HS freshman in 00 or 01.  That was during the depressing Shawn Kemp/Bob Sura/Dajuan Wagner/Ricky Davis era for the Cavs and after watching isolated clips of Lebron (remember this was about a decade before twitter) that I could get my hands on I knew this kid was going to be an all timer.  A potential franchise savior who would help keep the Cavs in Cleveland.  Then ESPN showed a few games (or maybe it was just 1, don't remember) of SVSM and anybody could see he was destined for greatness and of course all Cavs fans fantasized about this "Ohio-born and bred" phenom himself growing up a Cavs fan and pulling a Bernie Kosar and making it clear he wants to be in Cleveland.  

Except that wasn't the case.  I've posted a time or two about Lebron's upbringing - never knowing his father and Gloria was more interested in the glass dick than she was in being a Mom so she fostered her son; in a way, it's remarkable that Lebron turned out as well as he did all things considered.  So Lebron didn't have the roots or loyalty towards the area sports teams that most of us get from our fathers and family and sure enough during the 03-10 years he made it clear that he wasn't from Cleveland - he was from Akron (actual quotes during those years).  Couple that with wearing a Yankees hat to a Tribe-Yankee playoff game and his well-known fandom of the Cowboys and well...it didn't generate a lot of loyalty and love from the natives, who still revere Bernie Kosar even though a clear-eyed realist knows that Kosar wasn't that good (but Kosar wanted to be in Cleveland so that covered all warts).  What made matters more...complicated...for Lebron was his very public flirtation with free agency during the 03-10 years and his nonchalant attitude towards luring other free agents to the team; Trevor Ariza himself said that he would have signed in Cleveland if Lebron had made a commitment to remain in Cleveland beyond 2010.  And then of course there was the infamous Game 5 vs Boston which added fuel to the speculation that Lebron was "quitting" or already had one foot out the door while the team was still competing and a lot of Cavs fans began to dislike the guy...and then there was the ridiculous Decision special with Jim Gray and it was, um, off-putting.  I've posted here that I really don't blame Lebron for leaving in 2010 as the team failed spectacularly in putting the right pieces around him (Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones, Ben Wallace, Shaq...ugh; and if you want to turn to stone go look at the Cavs drafts from Lebron to 2010).

Then there were the Miami years where we saw (I feel) peak Lebron but then the Heat ended up getting run out of the Finals by the Spurs and recognizes the age of his Miami supporting cast and thinks to himself "I can't win with these guys" and so he looks around the league and sees the Cavs with Kyrie in his 3rd year in the league and we just won the lottery and sees an opportunity for himself despite the mutual animus between him and Dan Gilbert.  So Lebron signs with Cleveland (notably 1 + 1 contract) - which is great!  Got the best player in the planet and the Cavs are relevant again.  But I couldn't help but eyeroll when he said and wrote things like "I'm coming home" or after Game 7 he screams into the mic "Cleveland!  This is for you!" and then became a diehard Tribe & Browns fan.  Lebron and the Cavs was always a transactional relationship - returning to Cleveland was a business deal devoid of emotion or any kind of loyalty to the area.  And I don't have a problem with it - just don't try to say this relationship was something it wasn't (as I told South Austin's mom last night).

So fast forward to 2018 and the Cavs got spanked once again by Golden State (thanks to KD) and there is very little room for improvement because (at Lebron's behest) the Cavs have traded all their young assets and draft picks (and then there's the Kyrie situation which merits a whole other 3000 word essay) and Lebron slowly but surely is succumbing to Father Time (as all athletes and non-athletes do eventually).  Lakers come calling and there's another big FA production - this time hunkering down in a bunker in the Bahamas while Lebron and his team pore over all of their options.  Yeah right.  Lebron was always going to LA but this wouldn't be a Lebron thing if there wasn't some attention-whoring going on.  So again I just have to eyeroll at the painful and tortured decision that Lebron had to wrestle with...just like in 2010.

All of this is to say I don't dislike Lebron at all.  If you want to see a fanbase "turn on" someone, think Kawhi and the Spurs (I know different circumstances and all, but still).  I think Lebron's better than MJ (don't @ me) and will always be thankful for 2016.  I didn't mind at all when he won another title last summer in the bubble (asterisk or not) and having followed his career closely since before 9/11 I'm in some ways fascinated by him and his decisions and how he becomes the center of everything wherever he goes.  But he's not on the Cavs anymore so I'm not sure why I or any Cavs fan would be expected to stan for him in LA.  I think the casual NBA fan looks at Lebron and Cavs' fans reaction to him and are perplexed by what is perceived as a lack of loyalty to the guy who brought a championship to Cleveland.  Overall most Cavs fans I know look at him and his time in Cleveland positively but there's not a sense of undying love or loyalty there and actually wouldn't want anything to do with him on the current Cavs team (even if that was a possibility which we know it isn't) despite the glaring need for a wing. 

tldr - No hate towards Lebron but certainly no love here in 2021. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Also, the Warriors are the most fun watch in the league since the pre-KD Warriors. As great as those KD teams were, I still think we were  sort of robbed when they added Durant. They lost their true identity. If they stay healthy and Klay comes back anywhere near his pre-injury self, they are running through the league again. 

Also, there was some back and forth discussion up thread about Andrew Wiggins and his improvement. I don't care what the numbers say, he's playing hard, winning basketball for the first time in his career. He's out there d-ing up and diving on the floor, and taking his offense in the flow of the game. He should have always been this guy instead of being "the guy".

It's disgusting how well GS drafts outside of the top 5.  

38 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

My China comment above was obviously in jest and if the fans said something about Bronny dying then of course they should have been ejected (though I do wonder if any other player would have had the influence to get two fans kicked out - I've been to sporting events and I've heard worse).

As for me "turning on" Lebron...allow me to digress while the family is prepping the bird & stuff.  His legacy in Cleveland is....complicated.

I've been following Lebron since I heard about this kid in Akron who won Ohio's Mr Basketball as a HS freshman in 00 or 01.  That was during the depressing Shawn Kemp/Bob Sura/Dajuan Wagner/Ricky Davis era for the Cavs and after watching isolated clips of Lebron (remember this was about a decade before twitter) that I could get my hands on I knew this kid was going to be an all timer.  A potential franchise savior who would help keep the Cavs in Cleveland.  Then ESPN showed a few games (or maybe it was just 1, don't remember) of SVSM and anybody could see he was destined for greatness and of course all Cavs fans fantasized about this "Ohio-born and bred" phenom himself growing up a Cavs fan and pulling a Bernie Kosar and making it clear he wants to be in Cleveland.  

Except that wasn't the case.  I've posted a time or two about Lebron's upbringing - never knowing his father and Gloria was more interested in the glass dick than she was in being a Mom so she fostered her son; in a way, it's remarkable that Lebron turned out as well as he did all things considered.  So Lebron didn't have the roots or loyalty towards the area sports teams that most of us get from our fathers and family and sure enough during the 03-10 years he made it clear that he wasn't from Cleveland - he was from Akron (actual quotes during those years).  Couple that with wearing a Yankees hat to a Tribe-Yankee playoff game and his well-known fandom of the Cowboys and well...it didn't generate a lot of loyalty and love from the natives, who still revere Bernie Kosar even though a clear-eyed realist knows that Kosar wasn't that good (but Kosar wanted to be in Cleveland so that covered all warts).  What made matters more...complicated...for Lebron was his very public flirtation with free agency during the 03-10 years and his nonchalant attitude towards luring other free agents to the team; Trevor Ariza himself said that he would have signed in Cleveland if Lebron had made a commitment to remain in Cleveland beyond 2010.  And then of course there was the infamous Game 5 vs Boston which added fuel to the speculation that Lebron was "quitting" or already had one foot out the door while the team was still competing and a lot of Cavs fans began to dislike the guy...and then there was the ridiculous Decision special with Jim Gray and it was, um, off-putting.  I've posted here that I really don't blame Lebron for leaving in 2010 as the team failed spectacularly in putting the right pieces around him (Donyell Marshall, Damon Jones, Ben Wallace, Shaq...ugh; and if you want to turn to stone go look at the Cavs drafts from Lebron to 2010).

Then there were the Miami years where we saw (I feel) peak Lebron but then the Heat ended up getting run out of the Finals by the Spurs and recognizes the age of his Miami supporting cast and thinks to himself "I can't win with these guys" and so he looks around the league and sees the Cavs with Kyrie in his 3rd year in the league and we just won the lottery and sees an opportunity for himself despite the mutual animus between him and Dan Gilbert.  So Lebron signs with Cleveland (notably 1 + 1 contract) - which is great!  Got the best player in the planet and the Cavs are relevant again.  But I couldn't help but eyeroll when he said and wrote things like "I'm coming home" or after Game 7 he screams into the mic "Cleveland!  This is for you!" and then became a diehard Tribe & Browns fan.  Lebron and the Cavs was always a transactional relationship - returning to Cleveland was a business deal devoid of emotion or any kind of loyalty to the area.  And I don't have a problem with it - just don't try to say this relationship was something it wasn't (as I told South Austin's mom last night).

So fast forward to 2018 and the Cavs got spanked once again by Golden State (thanks to KD) and there is very little room for improvement because (at Lebron's behest) the Cavs have traded all their young assets and draft picks (and then there's the Kyrie situation which merits a whole other 3000 word essay) and Lebron slowly but surely is succumbing to Father Time (as all athletes and non-athletes do eventually).  Lakers come calling and there's another big FA production - this time hunkering down in a bunker in the Bahamas while Lebron and his team pore over all of their options.  Yeah right.  Lebron was always going to LA but this wouldn't be a Lebron thing if there wasn't some attention-whoring going on.  So again I just have to eyeroll at the painful and tortured decision that Lebron had to wrestle with...just like in 2010.

All of this is to say I don't dislike Lebron at all.  If you want to see a fanbase "turn on" someone, think Kawhi and the Spurs (I know different circumstances and all, but still).  I think Lebron's better than MJ (don't @ me) and will always be thankful for 2016.  I didn't mind at all when he won another title last summer in the bubble (asterisk or not) and having followed his career closely since before 9/11 I'm in some ways fascinated by him and his decisions and how he becomes the center of everything wherever he goes.  But he's not on the Cavs anymore so I'm not sure why I or any Cavs fan would be expected to stan for him in LA.  I think the casual NBA fan looks at Lebron and Cavs' fans reaction to him and are perplexed by what is perceived as a lack of loyalty to the guy who brought a championship to Cleveland.  Overall most Cavs fans I know look at him and his time in Cleveland positively but there's not a sense of undying love or loyalty there and actually wouldn't want anything to do with him on the current Cavs team (even if that was a possibility which we know it isn't) despite the glaring need for a wing. 

Great post MBU.

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Great post MBU.

Thanks - It's been about 3 years since I've had a great post - I was due.

One other point I sort-of hit - when Lebron came back to Cleveland in 2014, he signed a 1 year deal (with a player option for a 2nd).  Then he did the same thing year after year there.

In 2018, he signs a 4 year deal with the Lakers.  Hardly seems fair, huh?

Edited by Message Board User

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

Thanks - It's been about 3 years - I was due.

It's good having fans of other teams on here (and it's not like we're all Spurs or Mavs fans anyway). Even though obviously there's some sunshine pumping when you and aggie comment on your teams it helps flesh out the discussion and offer different view points. 

If we could just get rid of that Laker fan asshole... (kidding - sb).

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/26/2021 at 7:42 AM, Message Board User said:

you know, if he was a businessman (And his day to day trangressions and decisions were not as publically visible/scrutinized) he would be celebrated as crafty, resoureful and intelligent. 

he is instead a celebrity with emotional ties and shit with teams, cities, etc. and we see everything and talk about everything all the time. 

i never liked the guy, but i don't dislike him either. just a thought. thanks for your post there. makes sense. tough one as a fan of a team to go through what the cavs did with lebron

Edited by staboner
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Those Kardashians are Man Poison.

Seems as though last season was the first season he made real money and he has at least three houses.  (Two expensive ones in Philly/NJ and a really expensive one in LA.  If he's buying cars and shit like the story says, that's a very believable story.  The maintenance on the houses alone is hundred of thousands per year including taxes and there are private jets, cars, hangers on, etc.  He's likely broke and that's hilarious.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

That may take the cake for biggest trainwreck loss yet for the Lakers. They just played LeBron, AD and Westbrook ~50 minutes and Melo 43 minutes to lose to a below .500 Kings team with an interim head coach. They were up 11 with 8 mins left in the 4Q and up 7 with 2 mins left in OT1. AD capped it off with a clear path foul down 2 with 6 seconds remaining giving the Kings 2 FTs and the ball (probably wouldn't have mattered but it was a real chef's kiss).

LeBron was 2/13 from 3 with 7 TOs.

Ironically they are keeping their heads afloat as the West only has 5 teams above .500. 

Some gold in here. Too many to post.

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

Okay, I've been holding off on this one since I keep expecting him to have a breakout game, but 20 games is a large enough sample size now:

Is this who Dame is now? He's playing like Olympic Dame or post-1st round Playoff Dame. He's on the wrong side of 30, and that used to matter before everyone in the NBA became a sleep/diet/exercise/restricted minutes expert. Especially for someone his size. 

Are they having discussions internally about trading him now before interested parties wane on his value? Not that they had realistic Finals expectations, but their current team has a 2nd round ceiling, at best.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Okay, I've been holding off on this one since I keep expecting him to have a breakout game, but 20 games is a large enough sample size now:

Is this who Dame is now? He's playing like Olympic Dame or post-1st round Playoff Dame. He's on the wrong side of 30, and that used to matter before everyone in the NBA became a sleep/diet/exercise/restricted minutes expert. Especially for someone his size. 

Are they having discussions internally about trading him now before interested parties wane on his value? Not that they had realistic Finals expectations, but their current team has a 2nd round ceiling, at best.

I think he probably will figure it out but maybe not. Either way he’s just not as good as everyone wants him to be. If he’s the best player on your team then your best hope is a second round exit.

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

If they can get sleeper agent James Harden on the other team every night they have a shot. 

Not far off, unfortunately.

KD played 45 (forty-five!) regulation minutes tonight and had 39 points on 28 shots. Aldridge continues to shoot out of his mind, scoring 18 points on just 12 shots.

Meanwhile, Harden nets 12 points on FIFTEEN shots (even after converting all four free throws).

Just now, Braff Zacklin said:

Not far off, unfortunately.

KD played 45 (forty-five!) regulation minutes tonight and had 39 points on 28 shots. Aldridge continues to shoot out of his mind, scoring 18 points on just 12 shots.

Meanwhile, Harden nets 12 points on FIFTEEN shots (even after converting all four free throws).

Durant played every minute in the 2nd half. He had 39/9/7 and 4 steals. And he's inarguably their best man to man defender.

I'm not sure he's human. 

Really hoping Harden doesn't tank KD's legacy in the playoffs but it's super early and they're still 1st in the East. 

10 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

Russ, Kyrie, and Harden- you couldn't pick three worse superstars for KD to pair with throughout his career. who knows how many titles and MVPs KD has by now with literally any other three sidekicks of equal stature. 

That list is very unfair to prime Carmelo Anthony. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

Out of 56 players who have attempted at least 150 jumpers this season, AD ranks last in efficiency, averaging just 0.71 points per shot.

'Member when Sbbruin said that we weren't worth talking basketball with if we weren't willing to acknowledge that a healthy AD is a top 5 player? I 'member.

• Hook 'Em 1