NBA 2021-2022

ztejas

2 hours ago, Kermit said:

What about Derrick Rose? Not that he deserves to be on the list ahead of anyone. 

Bottom line is Walton was on the original list 25 years ago and the NBA chose to not modify that list beyond adding 25 more people. If they were doing that list today from scratch Walton very likely doesn't make it.

14 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Schultz? Isn’t that the asshole who sold the Sonics?

nah, this dude is like my age and has some really terrible takes on basketball. he's buddy-buddy with CJ McCollum, i think they may have done a podcast together at some point. dude doesn't know shit about hoops history, and is one of those guys who thinks that Kyrie and Dame Lillard are top 5-10 players in the league. 

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

nah, this dude is like my age and has some really terrible takes on basketball. he's buddy-buddy with CJ McCollum, i think they may have done a podcast together at some point. dude doesn't know shit about hoops history, and is one of those guys who thinks that Kyrie and Dame Lillard are top 5-10 players in the league. 

His father is Howard Schultz. At least according to the internet. 

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

I've only become aware of this guy in the past two days, but sheesh, you're right.  Everything I've seen from him is shitty or stupid.

19 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Tony should be getting more love, but I’m not the guy that’s going to lead that brigade. If the two guys that have more wins together with Tim than any other threesome can’t get a sniff, we need to start putting Tim in the penthouse suite. 

6 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

well Timmy is a top 10 player ever, so i'd say he's already there. 

Bill Simmons had Duncan 7th before the 5th title (and 2013 Finals appearance).

Edited by ztejas

9 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The thing about Walton is that he was league MVP and champion. I kinda think that if you were ever voted the best player in the league and/or were the hands down best player on a championship team, then you are probably one of the best 75 ever. You deserve it, no matter how the rest of your career went. It's why I think it's appropriate to have Westbrook on the list, even though I can't stand watching the guy play. 

Besides that Bill Walton is a national treasure. 

Artis should have gotten in on facial hair alone. 

The Blazers finished 3rd in the West that year and tied for the 4th overall record.  Walton led the team in scoring twice during the finals, in both of the losses.

In Portland, this was his games played
then

in his first 8 seasons he played less than a 3 full years. His wins over replacement player for his career was 21.3.  Guys like Horace Grant and Jack Sikma are significantly higher (Manu and Lanier are double+ that, Gilmore is triple).  He never had a season in the top 250 of all time in win shares and didn't finish his career overall in the top 250.

I think it was mistake to have him on the 50 team and a compound of that to have him on the 75.

• Hook 'Em 2

also Jalen Green. WOW. he's out here flying around like a dunk contest winner, he's 8-10 from deep, and he's got 30 points, 4 reb, 3 ast, 2 blk, and a stl. he just went heads up with Jayson Tatum 1 v 1 from the top of the key, stayed in front of Tatum as he drive, and then swatted him when he went up to shoot. electrifying player.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Lakers won't make the playoffs

would be amazing. no injuries, everyone is fully healthy all season, and they finish 7th and then lose embarrassingly to the 10 seed T Wolves. LeBron gets fouled on the final play down by one and then bricks both FTs. Russ tears off his jersey and storms off the court and heads straight to an underground LA fashion show where he's filmed and photographed celebrating and partying all night long.

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

would be amazing. no injuries, everyone is fully healthy all season, and they finish 7th and then lose embarrassingly to the 10 seed T Wolves. LeBron gets fouled on the final play down by one and then bricks both FTs. Russ tears off his jersey and storms off the court and heads straight to an underground LA fashion show where he's filmed and photographed celebrating and partying all night long.

I can fap to this.

• Haha 1

They needed a great game by Carmelo last night to get past Memphis who were on the second night of a b2b after playing the Clippers. And Ja missed a ft that would have sent it into ot. It's stupid to say that you have a must win in game 3, but they really needed that one badly. 

The Lakers have always been hateable for everything they represent, but you throw in the two guys who have been the poster children for "don't play the right way" and that jackass Dwight Howard into the mix, and rooting against them has never been easier. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

They needed a great game by Carmelo last night to get past Memphis who were on the second night of a b2b after playing the Clippers. And Ja missed a ft that would have sent it into ot. It's stupid to say that you have a must win in game 3, but they really needed that one badly. 

The Lakers have always been hateable for everything they represent, but you throw in the two guys who have been the poster children for "don't play the right way" and that jackass Dwight Howard into the mix, and rooting against them has never been easier

While I largely agree with you, someone doesn't remember the 2004 Lakers with Karl Malone, Derek Fisher, and Gary Payton. 

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

While I largely agree with you, someone doesn't remember the 2004 Lakers with Karl Malone, Derek Fisher, and Gary Payton. 

I stand corrected. And not only do I remember them, I was there when that asshole hit that shot with 0.4 on the clock after the clock expired.

This current Laker team is like a litter of golden retriever puppies compared to that 2004 team:

Kobe was fresh off of his rape charge, was a huge fucking ballhog and terrible teammate, and was publicly feuding with Shaq.

Shaq wasn't nearly as likeable then as he is now. He also showed up to camp out of shape, screamed "Pay me" at Jerry Buss during the preseason and generally acted like a bitch.

Karl Malone may have been the most unlikeable guy in NBA history and that was before he tried to sell out for a ring in LA after playing 100 years in Utah. Just the fucking worst.

Gary Payton was like a yapping dog that wouldn't stop barking. He was in need of a shock collar since about 10 games into his NBA career. Plus he was ring hunting like Malone. Complete dick.

Derek Fisher  - I don't think we truly knew what a giant piece of shit Derek Fisher was until after that season. But who can forget him crying like a little bitch on the bench in 2003 when the Spurs closed down the forum? Fuck Derek Fisher. Always.

Derek Fisher Crying on Make a GIF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I stand corrected. And not only do I remember them, I was there when that asshole hit that shot with 0.4 on the clock after the clock expired.

This current Laker team is like a litter of golden retriever puppies compared to that 2004 team:

Kobe was fresh off of his rape charge, was a huge fucking ballhog and terrible teammate, and was publicly feuding with Shaq.

Shaq wasn't nearly as likeable then as he is now. He also showed up to camp out of shape, screamed "Pay me" at Jerry Buss during the preseason and generally acted like a bitch.

Karl Malone may have been the most unlikeable guy in NBA history and that was before he tried to sell out for a ring in LA after playing 100 years in Utah. Just the fucking worst.

Gary Payton was like a yapping dog that wouldn't stop barking. He was in need of a shock collar since about 10 games into his NBA career. Plus he was ring hunting like Malone. Complete dick.

Derek Fisher  - I don't think we truly knew what a giant piece of shit Derek Fisher was until after that season. But who can forget him crying like a little bitch on the bench in 2003 when the Spurs closed down the forum? Fuck Derek Fisher. Always.

Derek Fisher Crying on Make a GIF

This man Laker hates.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I'm watching the Bulls, who I kinda dig now, and all I can think about is wondering if Alex Caruso is juicing. When did he get so jacked? 

He’s put on maybe a little muscle nothing too crazy from last year. They’re a fun team to watch tho. Minus that 4th quarter from tonight

15 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Durant's gonna break his back if he has to carry Brooklyn like this every night.

One thing to do it for a short tournament like the Olympics, but for an entire NBA season?

He really didn't have to do that much tonight. 25 on 17 shots - 8 boards 4 dimes.

They need Harden to pick it up scoring-wise though.

Just now, ztejas said:

He really didn't have to do that much tonight. 25 on 17 shots - 8 boards 4 dimes.

They need Harden to pick it up scoring-wise though.

It's not the stats, jabroni, it's the minutes.

35 minutes tonight, 5 more than anyone else on the team.

36 minutes last night, 3 more than anyone else.

37 minutes the game before that, etc.

He might be the best hooper in the world, but he's not Superman. All that usage on 33-year-old legs is going to take its toll by the end of the season.

1 minute ago, Braff Zacklin said:

It's not the stats, jabroni, it's the minutes.

35 minutes tonight, 5 more than anyone else on the team.

36 minutes last night, 3 more than anyone else.

37 minutes the game before that, etc.

He might be the best hooper in the world, but he's not Superman. All that usage on 33-year-old legs is going to take its toll by the end of the season.

Those seem like reasonable minutes totals. He was playing obscene minutes in the playoffs and did okay. Why Harden isn't playing more I'm not sure.

He'll get nights off at some point and play less in some blowouts. I don't think they want to fall too far behind in the standings right now. 

5 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Rotations always get reduced for playoffs, so that's kind of a dumb counter.

In the modern NBA, mid- to high-30 minutes each night over the course of an entire season for someone of KD's age and mileage is a bad idea. Not sure why you'd disagree, but you do you, chief.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm pointing out that it's been 4 games. He isn't going to play 36-37 mpg over an 82 game season. I also don't anticipate that he will play in many b2bs either. 

The point about his totals in the playoffs is that like LeBron he knows how to use energy efficiently so he can keep himself on the court. He can do more on the court by standing still than anyone on their bench (on O at least).