2021 - 2022 Dallas Mavericks: The Vibes are Immaculate

CBT

25 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

JB's defense has been low key awful tonight. How many assignments is he going to miss?

He’s been AWFUL on both ends of the floor both games. If he made money in the first round, he’s given it up. 

Paul has absolutely owned Luka this quarter. I’ve never seen him look this bad. I don’t know what we are doing on defense. They’re good but we are making it easy on them.  With our lack of athleticism everywhere, it was clear our team defense was Kidd smoke and mirrors. Sure wish he’d do something in this series. 

Dinwiddie has averaged fewer than 14 ppg throughout the playoffs and has an abysmal shooting %. Brunson has had the worst two game stretch I’ve ever seen him play. These trends can’t last. 

But Kidd has got to address defensive strategy. He’s been covering up for Luka and Powell all year and has got to get to work here. 

Suns really stuck it in our ass tonight and that will leave these guys with a terrible taste in their mouths. 

These are the only things that give me hope. We must win Friday and Sunday both or this is over in 5. 

I'm trying to find any silver lining from the first two games and really cannot come up with anything. Powell and Maxi are completely overmatched and Brunson almost has as many fouls as made fgs. Luka is great on offense but is getting absolutely hunted on defense. This is pretty much the worst start they could have had. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

I'm trying to find any silver lining from the first two games and really cannot come up with anything. Powell and Maxi are completely overmatched and Brunson almost has as many fouls as made fgs. Luka is great on offense but is getting absolutely hunted on defense. This is pretty much the worst start they could have had. 

Agreed. There is a reason Phoenix is the 1 seed.  They are damn good and deep. Utah's defense was terrible and allowed all our players to play out of their minds. Phoenix is physical and will not allow that. They have made Brunson and Dinwiddie scrubs that hardly belong on the court. 

Luka also has, what, 12 turnovers so far? That won't cut it either. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Maxi isn’t overmatched. Powell is. Powell is a very mediocre player - at best. Luka has scored well. His offense can’t be great when he is so careless with the ball. 7 assists and 7 turnovers. Not great Bob. 

2 hours ago, wutang75 said:

If Cuban ends up wasting Luka he is more hated than Jerry right?

Someone will eventually come play here for fucks sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can’t stand either of them for different reasons but for a similar reason in that they are both attention whores. I definitely hate Cuban more. 

Foul trouble didn't help last night but really no excuse as when the game completely got away from us I don't think anyone was off the court.  More than anything they just weren't mentally strong at the beginning of that run.  We were only down 6 when the sequence of (i) Luka turnover, (ii) Bridges Dunk, (iii) horrible offensive foul call against Brunson and (iv) Paul jumper/stare down of bench.  At that point it was 10 with 8 mins to go.  Still plenty of time to get back in the game.  But out of that timeout we pretty much just completely folded and they scored the next 7.   We all know Luka doesn't have the roster around him but it seems like he wasn't capable of handling that adversity either (and/or was completely gassed).  I really hope we can come out with some fight in Game 3.  The Suns are clearly playing at a different level but expected more from the Mavs than what we saw the first 2 games.

Edit:  In sum Phoenix (with CP3 leading by example) are playing like the desperate team so far.  We have yet to match their intensity.  That, moreso than the outcomes, is what has surprised me.

Edited by Skipper

34 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Cuban is gonna waste Luka.  No one wants to play here.  Nikola is gonna sign the supermax.

Luka is going to end up like Barkley chasing a ring after the supermax ends.

He wasted at least a few years of prime Dirk.  He'll waste Luka too.  

The only hope is that Luka becomes so good he can overcome roster shortcomings.