ESPN's Get Up!

AustinMT

The NYC move baffles me. Weren't Mike & Mike supposed to move to Times Square about five years ago, and they scrapped the plan because it was too expensive? Now in an even worse business climate (for TV), they bring a lesser show to the city? And I haven't watched more than a few minutes but it doesn't seem like they use the outside scenery much. I guess it's easier to book some guests.

47 minutes ago, Bartles said:

The NYC move baffles me. Weren't Mike & Mike supposed to move to Times Square about five years ago, and they scrapped the plan because it was too expensive? Now in an even worse business climate (for TV), they bring a lesser show to the city? And I haven't watched more than a few minutes but it doesn't seem like they use the outside scenery much. I guess it's easier to book some guests.

That's what got me...that show would have killed for another 10-15 years had they done that.

6 hours ago, TSipper said:

3) Cord cutting is an issue, but live sports still does a solid number on ESPN, so now they are just trying to find ways to fill the empty airtime.

There are plenty of live sporting events they could throw on TV like the early days yet for whatever reason they fill their schedule with studio shows and hot take shows that nobody watches. 

They have the rights to the 2nd, 3rd and 4th tier of English football (soccer) and instead of airing all three of those playoffs that are going on this week and last they only have them available online. And that is just one example. I don't understand their business model at all.

Live sporting events are one of the few things that still get live eyeballs but they seem to have less than they did before. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Espn’s NFL deal doesn’t run out until after 2021 and they’ll still have boat loads of college football.  They’re not getting out of the football business.  They’ll probably extend mnf again....

Not at the current financial number and the NFL isn't in the habit of taking a step back on revenue for a premium night of TV. You compound that with how worn the relationship between ESPN and the NFL has become (it's not a coincidence that the NFL gives ESPN crap Monday games or that they gave Fox proper the right to show the 1st & 2nd rd of the draft), I think it's going to be extremely hard for those two to be in business 4 years from now.

And again, I think ESPN views the NBA/MLB as year round sports, so they may not think they need the NFL as much as the NFL thinks they are needed.

10 hours ago, TSipper said:

NYC always provides. Here's another one, Matt Harvey thinks he's dating Adrianna Lima until the Met Gala in 2017 when she talks weekend flight Julian Edleman with her to the event. This causes Harvey to flip out, he misses a throwing session, shows up late for a start and his Met death spiral has officially started. Is ESPN willing to report this type of stuff? If so, they can stay relevant, but if not, why be in NYC at all? 

By becoming Sports TMZ, which demographic is that supposed to appeal to?  Is there a strong segment of the millenials that will gobble that kind of shit up?  Because the over 35 crowd sure as fuck doesn't care who Matt Harvey is dating.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Will Cain is pretty good.  He reminds me a lot of Cowherd, in that he will take bold stands that are backed by logic and hold true.  He's kind of whiney in his approach, but I get tired of the down the constant down the middle pitches. 

I like Cain, I don’t care for music so for years I’ve bounced between ESPN and Stern. Cain is not afraid to take a stand and not toe the company line which I appreciate. I want to hear opinions and people going out on limbs with their views and that is not what the morning shows are.

4 hours ago, TSipper said:

Not at the current financial number and the NFL isn't in the habit of taking a step back on revenue for a premium night of TV. You compound that with how worn the relationship between ESPN and the NFL has become (it's not a coincidence that the NFL gives ESPN crap Monday games or that they gave Fox proper the right to show the 1st & 2nd rd of the draft), I think it's going to be extremely hard for those two to be in business 4 years from now.

And again, I think ESPN views the NBA/MLB as year round sports, so they may not think they need the NFL as much as the NFL thinks they are needed.

i don't know wtf you're talking about.  they never shut the fuck up about the nfl.  middle of the nba conference finals?  let's talk jets offseason!

1 hour ago, Brew said:

I like Cain, I don’t care for music so for years I’ve bounced between ESPN and Stern. Cain is not afraid to take a stand and not toe the company line which I appreciate. I want to hear opinions and people going out on limbs with their views and that is not what the morning shows are.

I agree 100%. What I have a problem with is when it isn't one's actual opinion and they are just saying it to get the phone lines lit up with angry callers because the host said something stupid that isn't debatable. Cain does this a lot. Which I get he isn't big enough yet to not stir the pot for ratings and listeners. 

The one show that was honest and popular (PTI) caused it all. They tired to clone Tony K and Wilbon on every other show they put out it just was so fake and forced it was so obvious to see right through. 

That's where ESPN lost me. 

7 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

i don't know wtf you're talking about.  they never shut the fuck up about the nfl.  middle of the nba conference finals?  let's talk jets offseason!

For real. I DVR’d and then watched/perused a couple of episodes on the final day of the EPL season, which included the final game managed by the Gregg Popovich of the EPL and they essentially covered none of it. They showed Barcelona losing 5-4 simply because it’s Messi (which isn’t even EPL), and didn’t even mention that the loss snapped an unbeaten season for them on the final day. They mentioned Man City for about 10 seconds. But you know what they dedicated 10% of the show to? How great Sam Darnold thinks he is. I don’t give a fuck about that thumb-faced motherfucker, and I give even fewer fucks about him in May.

Edited by Goo Punch

I seriously doubt that more Americans care about how great Sam Darnold thinks he is than they do European soccer. Particularly in May. Either way, ESPN is still all over the NFL every single day and that won’t change any time soon.

Edited by Goo Punch

9 hours ago, Macanudo said:

By becoming Sports TMZ, which demographic is that supposed to appeal to?  Is there a strong segment of the millenials that will gobble that kind of shit up?  Because the over 35 crowd sure as fuck doesn't care who Matt Harvey is dating.

The demographic that may not watch TV, but does watch viral on-line videos. You do know that's what late night TV is, right? Just a bunch of schmoes trying to go viral because nobody is watching live.

If you're ESPN, you're a fucking TV show, not PBS. You're only job is to sell what people want to buy - or more importantly - what people want to forward to their friends via social media. So, if that's a Mets pitcher melting down as a Patriot WR cucks him, so be it. If that's a crazy Irish cage fighter going all fucking nuts on a bus, fantastic! Not only is ESPN not getting the views it needs to sustain the contracts they signed, they also are not creating viral content that anybody wants to watch.

"The bubble headed bleach blond comes on at 7am and that chick better fucking tell me about a Brazilian super model getting cum drenched at the Met Gala while The Dark Knight skulks in the corner with a fucking gleam in her eye. It's interesting when Irish cage fighting morons die...give us dirty laundry."

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 10:50 PM, TSipper said:

The demographic that may not watch TV, but does watch viral on-line videos. You do know that's what late night TV is, right? Just a bunch of schmoes trying to go viral because nobody is watching live.

If you're ESPN, you're a fucking TV show, not PBS. You're only job is to sell what people want to buy - or more importantly - what people want to forward to their friends via social media. So, if that's a Mets pitcher melting down as a Patriot WR cucks him, so be it. If that's a crazy Irish cage fighter going all fucking nuts on a bus, fantastic! Not only is ESPN not getting the views it needs to sustain the contracts they signed, they also are not creating viral content that anybody wants to watch.

"The bubble headed bleach blond comes on at 7am and that chick better fucking tell me about a Brazilian super model getting cum drenched at the Met Gala while The Dark Knight skulks in the corner with a fucking gleam in her eye. It's interesting when Irish cage fighting morons die...give us dirty laundry."

Rep for the Dirty Laundry reference........Don Henley's song was way ahead of its time in predicting the era we now live in.........

sportscenter started 6 minutes ago.  the nba playoffs are getting ready for game 4 of the conference finals.  there is a game 6 in the nhl conference finals tonight.  mlb season is well underway.  

adam schefter and louis riddick are on sportscenter talking about tom brady and patriot ota's.  

but espn is getting out of the nfl business right?

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

sportscenter started 6 minutes ago.  the nba playoffs are getting ready for game 4 of the conference finals.  there is a game 6 in the nhl conference finals tonight.  mlb season is well underway.  

adam schefter and louis riddick are on sportscenter talking about tom brady and patriot ota's.  

but espn is getting out of the nfl business right?

1. The NBA playoffs have been a snoozefest, one blowout after another on our way to yet another Golden State title.

2. Nobody gives two fucks about hockey

3. Nobody gives two fucks about baseball until the playoffs start.

4. Brady and Gronk skipping OTAs is good gossip (something I embrace) as we are all waiting for the fall of the Patriot dynasty and cracks have absolutely shown in the Brady/Belichick relationship.

And yes, ESPN is looking to get rid of that albatross of a MNF contract and if this means they are cut out of the NFL, they may be ok with that. Does ESPN have a football first person leading any of their "talking head" shows? Maybe they do, but I can't think of one.

• Like 1

1. The NBA playoffs have been a snoozefest, one blowout after another on our way to yet another Golden State title.
4. Brady and Gronk skipping OTAs is good gossip (something I embrace) as we are all waiting for the fall of the Patriot dynasty and cracks have absolutely shown in the Brady/Belichick relationship.
And yes, ESPN is looking to get rid of that albatross of a MNF contract and if this means they are cut out of the NFL, they may be ok with that. Does ESPN have a football first person leading any of their "talking head" shows? Maybe they do, but I can't think of one.

Vegas being in the Stanley Cup Finals will be fun.

This show will need to work some magic to keep things interesting in July and August. They’ll manage good guests and probably guest hosts during football season but yeah, Jalen doesn’t seem long for the job. Beadle will adapt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having three hosts might be part of the problem.  As that  first cup of coffee is taking effect, I don't need too much noise traffic to my brain.  These huge panels don't work for sports (or political) talk.  I think Mike & Mike worked because of the chemistry and having one jock and one journalist.  No morning yelling, they both stayed in their lanes, and often had good guests for in- depth talks after going over the main stories from the day before.   Mike & Mike worked for me.  Neither Get Up, nor Golic & Wingo do.

Edited by Whitman
  • Like 1

I know Michelle and she is not afraid of HSO’s, she just knows where her bread is buttered. The climate is too hot to give them out these days as you can become an instant pariah.

She attacks Mayweather for his wife/gf beating ways any chance she gets.

Plus, she loves the Horns.
Just because you know her doesn't mean her HSO's are worth a damn. Her HSO's are barely above Skip Bayless level. She's boring and annoying.

On 5/18/2018 at 10:43 PM, Goo Punch said:

I seriously doubt that more Americans care about how great Sam Darnold thinks he is than they do European soccer. Particularly in May. Either way, ESPN is still all over the NFL every single day and that won’t change any time soon.

I consider myself a pretty average sports fan across the board.

I couldn't tell you when soccer season is.

i don't think that is abnormal at all, nor do I particularly care when it might be.

i mean yeah, fuck the Jets, but fuck soccer more.

Edited by slorch

12 hours ago, TSipper said:

So ESPN views MLB and NBA as year round sports, not the NFL, and that’s why they’re pushing them. You said that, right?

Until they’re not. And then that somehow fits into your view too.

What?

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, slorch said:

I consider myself a pretty average sports fan across the board.

I couldn't tell you when soccer season is.

i don't think that is abnormal at all, nor do I particularly care when it might be.

i mean yeah, fuck the Jets, but fuck soccer more.

To not know when soccer season is happening  definitely *is* abnormal when talking your average American sports fan in 2018. You used to represent the average American sports fan, however the average American sports fan is trending further and further away from old, crotchety WASPs, and turning more and more into a younger, more well-rounded sports fan. That’s why the women’s World Cup Final drew 26 million viewers in this country, even though you were unaware of its existence.

Soccer has been the fastest growing sport in America for a demographic that you don’t belong to for a decade+ now. Go to any college frat party and see how many soccer jerseys you see now. That goes even moreso for younger kids. Not to mention that 99% of immigrants love soccer and know nothing about American tackle football. I’m not saying that more Americans now like soccer than football, I’m saying that old, republican white dudes who find it fashionable to purposely not know when soccer is being played (the answer btw is year-round) no longer represent the average American sports fan.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Replace “soccer” with “The New York Jets” or “Sam Darnold” and it’s even more true.

And just fyi, the younger, less crotchety, and less white you are the higher the chances are that you do give a fuck or two about soccer. Don’t mistake everyone who looks, talks, and thinks like you for “everyone”. If y’all actually believe that slorch, PilotsError, and Old 76er make up a good cross section of your average American sports fan, then you don’t really have a clue.

Edited by Goo Punch

The final day of the soccer season, including the world’s most popular team going for a historic unbeaten season and a legendary manager leaving his club after 22 years, vs Sam Darnold talking about how great he is a week after being drafted. Your average sports fan is going to care more about the actual competition and compelling storylines more than they do hearing about how some millennial thinks he’s hot shit.

we in here talking about soccer. I mean, listen, we're talking about soccer, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about soccer. Not a game. Not, not … Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last. Not the game, but we're talking about soccer, man. I mean, how silly is that? … And we talking about soccer

• Like 2

Derka...I mean Goo... I know you love soccer.  I have friends who like it too.

In the past 14 months, I have attended at least one game in the 4 major American sports leagues.  I have attended Football, hoops, and baseball games in D1 college level.  I attend local high school games about 10-12x per year.

I do not buy Sunday Ticket, Open Ice, or any of the Leagu wide packages, but otherwise have virtually every sports channel available on Xfinity.

Sound like an average well rounded fan to you?  If not, what makes it so?  My dollars sure think it is pretty freaking diverse with my butt in the seats. Do you teuly think the average American sportsfan participates ith their wallet more than that?  I’m not humble bragging, because it’s not really that much money, but to blow off my interest in sports because it does not include soccer is unfounded.

Bottom line is that I have a shit-ton of discretionary spending power, and soccer doesn'tget a dime.  I don’t find it interesting.  I cannot watch it and flat out do not enjoy it. ESPN might be the hipster network, but they’re alienating a shit-ton of folks with their moves. 

Edited by slorch

Americans will watch the World Cup. Same as swimming and gymnastics in the Olympics. When it’s us vs the world we care, otherwise nobody gives a shit. 

The NBC Saturday soccer rating are terrible, and that’s on free tv. It may be growing in the juice box levels, but it doesn’t have shit on those with actual spending money. The Houston Dynamo have mediocre attendance at best and that’s freaking Houston. You are correct though, the popularity of the World Cup has grown substantially when the US plays. You will see a massive drop this year when they don’t. It has a long way to go to get near the big 3 as anything more than a fringe sport. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 3

Look, first off this isn’t even about how many people like soccer, it’s about the fact that ESPN still loves its football. Second, in the very post which started this discussion I was talking about an episode of Sportscenter which aired the evening of soccer’s final day in England and Spain. Nobody tunes into Sportscenter to hear about how a California QB who got drafted highly thinks he’s great, and especially not in the middle of May. People tune into SC for sports highlights from that day. That was the point the entire time. Not that everyone loves soccer, just that it was an important day in soccer and ESPN still chose to air some dumbass piece about how great Darnold thinks he is. And for the record, nobody came into trying to talk about how popular soccer is, the sport simply got brought up, you lot collectively threw your hands up and guffawed, and proceeded to turn the thread into one about soccer, and not how ESPN still likes football. *deep breath* 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

To not know when soccer season is happening  definitely *is* abnormal when talking your average American sports fan in 2018.

I have no fucking idea when soccer season starts or ends. Same with cricket, jai alai, water polo and field hockey.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Americans will watch the World Cup. Same as swimming and gymnastics in the Olympics. When it’s us vs the world we care, otherwise nobody gives a shit. 

The NBC Saturday soccer rating are terrible, and that’s on free tv. It may be growing in the juice box levels, but it doesn’t have shit on those with actual spending money. The Houston Dynamo have mediocre attendance at best and that’s freaking Houston. You are correct though, the popularity of the World Cup has grown substantially when the US plays. You will see a massive drop this year when they don’t. It has a long way to go to get near the big 3 as anything more than a fringe sport. 

They average just under 450K a game. That isn't terrible. And more importantly it is still growing not losing viewers year over year like most other sports leagues..

42 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

NBC Saturday Soccer draws well and nobody says that Americans are starting to love MLS. 

I'm more of an audiobook or NPR guy in the car, but if I am listening to sports radio then it's going to be the Dan Patrick Show 100% of the time.

1 hour ago, JimmyHoffa said:

They average just under 450K a game. That isn't terrible. And more importantly it is still growing not losing viewers year over year like most other sports leagues..

Well, not year over year.... but it bounced this year.

Perhaps so. But with its soccer coverage NBC Sports finds itself with the same sudden rating challenges that have affected football and basketball. Viewership per window of the Premier League rose on NBC networks for three consecutive years, only to slump in the 2016-17 season to an average of 420,000 viewers, down 18% from the previous season.

It did bounce if you include same day watch and digital, not just live....

The average per match audience only increased by 2,000 viewers from 447k to 449k, but that’s still not bad in an age where other sports and television series are fighting to break even year-to-year.

Streaming is picking it up (as one would assume) and Austin is actually a top 5 market for soccer....... but..... the demise of football has been grossly overstated.

The league's three-day draft came away with the highest television ratings for any NFL Draft ever. Overall, there was an average of 5.5 million viewers watching the draft at any given time, which led to a 3.57 household rating. The 2018 numbers were a 25 percent increase over last year's rating and a 20 percent increase over the average viewership for 2017. 

Overall, the NFL said that a total of 45.8 million people watched at least part of the draft. The draft actually did a bigger number than last year's Stanley Cup Final (2.7 rating, 4.7 million). 

The idea ESPN is trying to distance itself from the NFL in the decade is foolish....

On 5/18/2018 at 3:07 PM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I know Michelle and she is not afraid of HSO’s, she just knows where her bread is buttered. The climate is too hot to give them out these days as you can become an instant pariah.

She attacks Mayweather for his wife/gf beating ways any chance she gets.

Plus, she loves the Horns.

I actually think Beadle has something and would be much better served with a wittier/funnier set of co-hosts. SVP would've easily been a better fit with Beedle than the Greenberg. The same is also true of Ryen Russillo who apparently quit ESPN of his own volition. If for whatever reason Ernie decided to hang it up I think Beadle would do well on that TNT pregame set depending on how quickly she could build rapport with Chuck and crew. And in all honestly ESPN doesn't have the depth of personality filled/funny/provocative athletes to fulfill whatever role Jalen is supposed to be filling. He's complete and utter garbage and owes his entire media persona to Bill Simmons, who for some reason finds Rose funny. ESPN has other anchors that would probably do well in a morning show role as well (Neil Everette, Stan Verrette, Elle Duncan, and Matthew Barrie). 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

21 hours ago, Hate said:

I’ve been hearing that soccer is taking over the US my entire life. I’m 48 and it hasn’t happened yet. Maybe it will finally happen sometime in the next 48 years.

When we adopt the metric system.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:23 AM, PilotsError said:

Mike and Mike was really good at one time.  Denying that is retarded.

Agreed with this. I used to love Mike & Mike back in the day. 

It was a breath of fresh air at a time when Jim Rome and 1,000 imitators of his douche act dominated sports talk radio.  Mike & Mike actually discussed sports topics like mature adult men instead of doucebag manboys.

But then they kind of devolved into WAY too much "schitck" with Golic being the "dumb jock" and Greeny being the "nerd boy" or whatever.