San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling

Mitch Cumsteen

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

Dejounte just forcing shit left and right.

Derrick was trash. Dude, they can score zero points without you.

Why Dejounte is greenlit to miss 14 fucking shots I have no idea. It's not like he's that much better of a scorer if better at all than like 5 other dudes on the team (obviously White wasn't one of them tonight but he is sometimes). Actually - KJ is easily the most efficient go to guy on the team. He took 3 less shots and hit 4 more than DJ. Thad was 5/5. Does DJ just not understand that those guys are just as good as him scoring the rock?

And I don't understand what we're doing on offense in general. We completely abandoned the 3 ball in that 2nd half. I get we aren't a great 3 shooting team but the constant missed looks and turnovers in the paint is maddening. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 1

They have nobody who can create their own shot. They are going to struggle offensively almost every night when the other team is trying. 

Poeltl being out really hurts them on both ends. They've been pretty good at getting out in transition for easy baskets but they have got to get stops to do that. And he's a really solid interior defender. They also have found a little something with him in pick and roll and that little push shot of his is surprisingly effective. I really believe he's been their best player this season. 

But this team isn't very talented. They are going to lose close games because they have no finishers. Get used to it and be pleasantly surprised when they do end up winning. 

Serious question : did any of y'all expect the Spurs to win more than 30 games this season? They're easily amongst the least talented teams in the West. Were guys like McDermott, Young and Collins (Waste of a signing and generally just a waste of space as a player) going to move the needle?  I was hoping Pop would retire so a new era could begin with a new vision, gut the team for draft capital and begin a true rebuild. I just hope the rumors are nothing more than rumors about Ben Simmons to the Spurs because that would set the franchise back for the foreseeable future acquiring the point guard version of DeRozan. If Vassell and Primo don't develop into big names in the future the Spurs are gonna be fucked as it stands. No big name free agents are coming here, the only reason LMA signed with the Spurs was to team with Kawhi and return to Texas.

30 wins?  Ha!

26 or loaded diaper.

There’s some talent on this team but it’s all supporting /tier 2 type players.  Maybe Vassell and Primo can develop into borderline tier 1 guys but absent that we’re wandering the desert for a while.  May the Lottery Balls be in our favor.

17 minutes ago, Amos Moses said:

30 wins?  Ha!

26 or loaded diaper.

There’s some talent on this team but it’s all supporting /tier 2 type players.  Maybe Vassell and Primo can develop into borderline tier 1 guys but absent that we’re wandering the desert for a while.  May the Lottery Balls be in our favor.

Honestly, 30 wins would be over achieving because the team is flat out bad. You're right some of the players are good, but they're complimentary type players. Vassell and especially Primo were project players, if they don't pan out that's gonna hurt skipping over players who could contribute immediately at positions of need. In the modern era NBA it's apparent you need at least two superstars minimum to have any chance at competing in the playoffs. The Spurs don't even have one.

4 hours ago, Chad said:

Serious question : did any of y'all expect the Spurs to win more than 30 games this season? They're easily amongst the least talented teams in the West. Were guys like McDermott, Young and Collins (Waste of a signing and generally just a waste of space as a player) going to move the needle?  I was hoping Pop would retire so a new era could begin with a new vision, gut the team for draft capital and begin a true rebuild. I just hope the rumors are nothing more than rumors about Ben Simmons to the Spurs because that would set the franchise back for the foreseeable future acquiring the point guard version of DeRozan. If Vassell and Primo don't develop into big names in the future the Spurs are gonna be fucked as it stands. No big name free agents are coming here, the only reason LMA signed with the Spurs was to team with Kawhi and return to Texas.

No, I just like to bitch and emote when I’m watching. Vassell has already shown significant improvement and I believe will have a great year as he gets more put on his plate. Primo is a giant question mark, but you can see the talent oozing out of his pores. Kid can play. They’ll get a great draft pick this year and the next and that should be enough to get something going. 

4 hours ago, Chad said:

I think if you go back and glean the first few pages of this thread but especially from the Offseason thread, there are only a handful of fans here on Surly who thought we could be anything but what we are...... a super young, super inexperienced, under talented, rebuilding squad who's real goals are to develop and get as many ping pong balls as possible.  Gonna be painful for folks who want wins right now.  This is where the front office needs to make their money.

On 11/9/2021 at 9:02 AM, Chad said:

Sort of - and we have had nice flashes and hung in there for a lot of the losses. I expected more from White and Dejounte. The former has been atrocious and the latter not much better when it comes to putting the ball inside the orange hoop thing. We also don't seem very well coached and can't get our best scorer* (KJ) involved as much as he should be - or get him good looks. 

I think - what are we - 2-8? Is basically the floor and we could be 3-7 or 4-6 pretty easily. I still don't think 30 is off the table but preseason I would have set the ceiling maybe at 34ish and that seems herculean at this point. 

Actually - Dejounte is shooting less efficiently than White somehow (they're both sub .500 TS% which is just revolting). Although obviously DJ brings a lot more to the table outside of the scoring. 

And KJ has not had as good of a year as I thought so far - he's right there with them at .500 TS% (although mainly due to him being 3/22 from 3). But I maintain we are doing a woeful job at getting him good looks. 

Edited by ztejas

Also - going into tonight we were actually 15th in net rtg, 21st in SRS (which I think is schedule adjusted) and 5th in defensive rating. 

So - while we have a closing games issue this team is not as shitty as some here think. We aren't the fucking Magic or Rockets. 

Which - is why you'll have to allow us to be frustrated at times. Even though being a team who's better than their record is a good thing when it comes to the future. 

Edited by ztejas

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

Also - going into tonight we were actually 15th in net rtg, 21st in SRS (which I think is schedule adjusted) and 5th in defensive rating. 

So - while we have a closing games issue this team is not as shitty as some here think. We aren't the fucking Magic or Rockets. 

Which - is why you'll have to allow us to be frustrated at times. Even though being a team who's better than their record is a good thing when it comes to the future. 

The schedule has been tough and they really miss Poeltl. He's their only shot blocking presence. I still think 30 is doable, health permitting. ~30 is the pace they are on.

I don't know what happened to Derrick White. I gave him a pass last season because he had a series of injuries, but he looks lost out there. Where is that guy from the Denver series a few years back? And Keldon hasn't been much better. He always gives good effort but he's handcuffed if he can't be a threat from the three point line, which he isn't close to being right now.

On the plus side, Vassell is turning into a killer 3 point shooter. Love his progress. Dejounte has become really effective in the mid range and Lonnie has been much more consistent. I can't imagine how good all of these dudes would look if they played on a team with a superstar who commanded a double team or any sort of extra defensive attention. They have nobody that makes the game easier for the rest of the team. But herein lies the problem.

Also, I'm becoming a charter member of the Thad Young fan club. I just love the way that dude plays. I'm becoming a big fan of McDermott too. Both of them are upgrades over Gay and Patty for what they bring to their respective positions. I know that they are going to trade Young to a contender around the deadline (or at least they damn sure should), but I'm going to miss watching him play with these guys. 

5 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The schedule has been tough and they really miss Poeltl. He's their only shot blocking presence. I still think 30 is doable, health permitting. ~30 is the pace they are on.

I don't know what happened to Derrick White. I gave him a pass last season because he had a series of injuries, but he looks lost out there. Where is that guy from the Denver series a few years back? And Keldon hasn't been much better. He always gives good effort but he's handcuffed if he can't be a threat from the three point line, which he isn't close to being right now.

On the plus side, Vassell is turning into a killer 3 point shooter. Love his progress. Dejounte has become really effective in the mid range and Lonnie has been much more consistent. I can't imagine how good all of these dudes would look if they played on a team with a superstar who commanded a double team or any sort of extra defensive attention. They have nobody that makes the game easier for the rest of the team. But herein lies the problem.

Also, I'm becoming a charter member of the Thad Young fan club. I just love the way that dude plays. I'm becoming a big fan of McDermott too. Both of them are upgrades over Gay and Patty for what they bring to their respective positions. I know that they are going to trade Young to a contender around the deadline (or at least they damn sure should), but I'm going to miss watching him play with these guys. 

Totally forgot Poeltl's been out. Keeping track of who's on all 30 teams and playing/not playing is such a nightmare in this day and age (obviously I pay more attention to the Spurs but I watch other games and play fantasy on top of that). 

Hilariously I think we are a much better team on O with Dougie Buckets on the floor. Although I think Patty is a better fit for where he is now than what we were asking him to do here - he's been a really nice piece for the Nets (granted KD and Harden make a lot of chicken salad). Read an article recently that the Spurs run more than any team in the league (they have the fastest average speed for each player during the games) and of our guys Doug runs the most. 

I fell in love with Thad last year because I picked him up off the FA and he helped resurrect my shitty fantasy team. He was a big stat sheet stuffer - tons of 14 point, 9 board, 4 dime, 1 block, 3 steal type games. That acquisition was part of why I was a bit more bullish on us than I probably should have been. Also made it hard to understand why we weren't playing more early on. 

Ultimately I'll reiterate what I already said that the best thing for us is to be a lot better than our record and build some chemistry and momentum for the future. Although we sure as shit need to get Pop his record. 

Still really curious about the HC situation. Pop should probably hang it up but I think he still loves coaching. Sort of expect us to hand it to Becky because we're kind of "that" organization in a lot of ways but she may bolt if someone wants to hand her the reins before Pop is done. 

The reality is as a small market team, we need a top 5-10 player to be relevant.  No free agents will ever come here unless there is an anchor to build around.  Until then, we will continue to suck, draft some nice young players with the 7th-12th pick, rinse and repeat.

Edited by Assman

10 hours ago, Assman said:

The reality is as a small market team, we need a top 5-10 player to be relevant.  No free agents will ever come here unless there is an anchor to build around.  Until then, we will continue to suck, draft some nice young players with the 7th-12th pick, rinse and repeat.

Times have changed, a team requires two superstars minimum to be competitive in the post season. Ever since The Heat constructed the roster of LeBron, Wade and Bosh it built a blueprint for teams to acquire three superstars and fill out with the minimum, MLE, etc. Does it always work? No, but it's been successful for some teams. Vassell is displaying growth in year two, need him to develop into a big time talent he's only 21 so he can only go up from here.

3 hours ago, Chad said:

Times have changed, a team requires two superstars minimum to be competitive in the post season. Ever since The Heat constructed the roster of LeBron, Wade and Bosh it built a blueprint for teams to acquire three superstars and fill out with the minimum, MLE, etc. Does it always work? No, but it's been successful for some teams. Vassell is displaying growth in year two, need him to develop into a big time talent he's only 21 so he can only go up from here.

Probably thinking about the Milwaukee model.  One top guy and then some secondary or tertiary guys like Holiday and Middleton.  Those guys aren't superstars like a Wade or Kyrie or Davis are.  Now, they needed some injury help and things have to fall right, but it's possible if you build the team around the superstar the right way.  

23 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Probably thinking about the Milwaukee model.  One top guy and then some secondary or tertiary guys like Holiday and Middleton.  Those guys aren't superstars like a Wade or Kyrie or Davis are.  Now, they needed some injury help and things have to fall right, but it's possible if you build the team around the superstar the right way.  

Yeah but Milwaukee isn't just "one top guy". It's "one of the greatest players ever" which is how we won our first 5 titles. 

Just now, Kermit said:

He’s fucking awful. It’s sad, but the dude is getting worse. 

I'm not being fair to Patty. Patty drove us crazy but he still scored 11 ppg on .570 TS% with just 1 turnover a night. Derrick is shooting a blistering .481 TS% which makes me not really give a shit that he's averaging almost 6 dimes. 

STOP TAKING CONTESTED 3S IN TRANSITION. NONE OF YOU ARE GOOD SHOOTERS.

Good fucking God this team is a beating to watch sometimes. White just straight airballed* a rushed attempt from the corner with 20 seconds on the shot clock. 

Edited by ztejas

• Mitch Cumsteen changed the title to San Antonio Spurs 2021-22 Season Thread - Let's get this play-in shitshiw rolling