2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

4 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Tilman and Stone would be committing Cal McNair level negligence in running the team if they keep Silas past this year. They need to fire him midseason. Hornacek or Lucas can’t be worse. I spent money on League Pass to watch the Rockets because I thought they’d be entertaining. This by far and way the worst basketball I have seen. I can handle losing during a rebuild but I want to see young players develop and see that they’re being coached and developing skills running a well coached offense and defense. You’re seeing none of that. I’m really disappointed in Silas. I had heard good things about him as an assistant and thought we’d be getting the type of coaching and development you see with the Mavs.

I agree it feels like watching sark not develop anyone every week and end up losing to Kansas. I’m all for a firing at the end of the year.

• Hook 'Em 1

The handling of Silas will be a test for Stone. As it is becoming more apparent that he is not the guy (it was obvious to many of us here when that he was the incorrect hire from the get go), will Stone do the right thing and make a change so that these young players actually develop or will Stone let Silas's contract simply run out? Of course the hand of Fertitta also has the potential to meddle.

Edited by UDontKnow

So last night they got their ass kicked by a shitty OKC team and they had an average age of 27.5 and an average weighted by minute age of 29.5. 
So fucking stupid. The point of being bad is to get guys reps and develop them as much as possible.  It be the worst team in the league without developing your kids and figuring out your core. 
From one of the smartest orgs to one of the dumbest in 3 short years. Ferntits is the worst. 

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

So last night they got their ass kicked by a shitty OKC team and they had an average age of 27.5 and an average weighted by minute age of 29.5. 
So fucking stupid. The point of being bad is to get guys reps and develop them as much as possible.  It be the worst team in the league without developing your kids and figuring out your core. 
From one of the smartest orgs to one of the dumbest in 3 short years. Ferntits is the worst. 

Sengun only getting 5 minutes last night is criminal. Silas had a reputation for player development in Dallas. That is why it’s shocking to see what looks like absolutely no improvement in any of the players. This guy is doing long term damage to the rookies. Fertitta sucks but Stone seems pretty smart and made some great moves during the draft. Hope Green pans out but he definitely maximized value. Picking Silas as HC was a mistake that needs to be fixed immediately. 

Edited by Macklemore

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

We will definitely have the most ping ball balls which doesn’t guarantee the number 1 pick. Next season might be as bad so another one could be on the way. 3 straight top 3 picks should get you in the right direction for a new coach to take over.

I posted last year on here and clutch fans that they needed to trade wood when his value was highest bc he didn’t match any time line as we were going to suck for 3 years. I got crucified on clutch fans. They are a collection of paint chip eaters. When I bumped the post to point and laugh yesterday I had some dude come after me as crazy for saying this was a 3 year tank. I was like bro- that was written last year. Year 1 in the bag. Year 2, right now, is ass. I can’t imagine we won’t suck next year as well. We need to try to be good after next year when Wall and Gordon come off the books and we damn well better not add a dime of future money to move either of them. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I posted last year on here and clutch fans that they needed to trade wood when his value was highest bc he didn’t match any time line as we were going to suck for 3 years. I got crucified on clutch fans. They are a collection of paint chip eaters. When I bumped the post to point and laugh yesterday I had some dude come after me as crazy for saying this was a 3 year tank. I was like bro- that was written last year. Year 1 in the bag. Year 2, right now, is ass. I can’t imagine we won’t suck next year as well. We need to try to be good after next year when Wall and Gordon come off the books and we damn well better not add a dime of future money to move either of them. 

Trading Wood at the deadline last year or after the season would have been a smart move. 

I think Stone redeemed himself well with the last draft class, but this guy is still learning on the job. 

3 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I bet wood is moved this deadline but right now he won’t get us more than a second rounder or late first. I think we’re stuck with Gordon and wall unless a team gets super desperate which is always possible. 

Don’t care if they move either Wall or Gordon one way or another. Won’t get a real asset. If they give up an asset to get off their contracts or

take money that lasts into 2023 I will be pissed. 

7 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

team plays better without Jalen Green, especially 3% which has been phenomenal the last 2 games.  He can't shoot, is selfish and a TO machine.   If the Rockets will trade their best player or two every year (wood, wall), I'm open to let Green go too. 

So you’re ready to get rid of a 19 year old who has played all of 18 NBA games for the worst team in the league?  Idiot. 

• Haha 1

Shooting % especially 3pt % has gone up as well as TOs going down the last couple games. Directly correlates with increased mins for both Matthews and Brooks. Gotta have shooters to compete nightly these days. Looks like a couple have finally made the rotation and its made a significant difference. Neither seem to be complete liabilities defensively either...or at least from the sample size seen. 

On 11/27/2021 at 4:17 PM, BigOrange1 said:

looks like john wall is going to come back.  i don't really have a problem with it as he's not going to suddenly make the team not suck and playing with him could be a good thing for the development of green and kpj.

Tank Commander returning to duty, sir!

image.thumb.jpeg.f01b00a3d411defe8831432ee4691f79.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Tank Commander returning to duty, sir!

image.thumb.jpeg.f01b00a3d411defe8831432ee4691f79.jpeg

Wall played in the Rockets last 27 games last season. Team record was 3-24! Yeah him playing isn't going to effect the team's overall record much if at all. 

Play him here and there sparingly, especially when you have a top end rotation perimeter player out for a few games like you have now. But wouldn't commit to anything permanent from a role or playing time standpoint. Seeing him out there could end up benefitting both the player and the organization, if there's any chance there's a team/gm out there giving a trade even a smidge of consideration...as long as he doesn't end up injuring himself and then you're F'd!!!

1 hour ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Again I’m confused. I thought we wanted to tank? FO want to win now and get a lower pick? That can’t be their plan but I don’t expect much from these guys.

Young guys are starting to find their footing and gaining confidence now that they've found some consistent shooting/spacing. Last night no Green or Wood/KPJ for most of the game, focused in defensively (really went to a zone to keep SGA & co. out the paint) and gutted out a 15 pt come from behind W! It was a pleasant surprise to see them compete on that level. Tate was a man-child as well! 

FO, better send down orders to Silas to keep Matthews and Brooks out of rotation if they want to keep losing games imo...they've been key to the improved play.  

3 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

There is no difference between finishing with the worst, 2nd worst, or 3rd worst record as far as getting the #1 pick. Since the Rockets don't have to worry about draft positioning this year. Just finish in the bottom 3.

Slight benefit of finishing with worst record is you can pick no worse than 5th but if you finish 3rd to worst you could end up all the way down at 7

• Hook 'Em 1