2021-22 Houston Rockets Season Thread: Sucking with a Purpose

BigOrange1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Longest active win streak, baby! Sadly Green has nothing to do with it so the wins are of negative value. At least Sengun is getting some minutes. 

there's an obvious correlation. 

Tanking doesn't have the value that most fans believe.  Lots of NBA stars were outside top 3 picks -- Giannis, Harden, Curry, Klay, Draymond, CP3, Devin Booker, Paul George, Kawhi, Dame, Jimmy Butler

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Tanking doesn't have the value that most fans believe.  Lots of NBA stars were outside top 3 picks -- Giannis, Harden, Curry, Klay, Draymond, CP3, Devin Booker, Paul George, Kawhi, Dame, Jimmy Butler

Giannis grew three inches and the only tape of him was grainy high school level nonsense. That’s not common. 
Curry I still can’t believe dropped as far as he did. The NBA is stupid. 
Kawhi developed an offensive game from out of nowhere in conjunction with the best development organization maybe in the history of the NBA at the height of their prime. 
Harden maniacally got better. 
those other guys you mentioned are JAGS and third banana types when it comes to team building. If offered to have Dame, Paul George, jimmy Butler, Dreymond, Klay or Booker as the lead talent on the team for their careers is immediately say pass and tank again for another pick to hope you get one that moves the needle. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Giannis grew three inches and the only tape of him was grainy high school level nonsense. That’s not common. 
Curry I still can’t believe dropped as far as he did. The NBA is stupid. 
Kawhi developed an offensive game from out of nowhere in conjunction with the best development organization maybe in the history of the NBA at the height of their prime. 
Harden maniacally got better. 
those other guys you mentioned are JAGS and third banana types when it comes to team building. If offered to have Dame, Paul George, jimmy Butler, Dreymond, Klay or Booker as the lead talent on the team for their careers is immediately say pass and tank again for another pick to hope you get one that moves the needle. 

well i agree the nba is stupid as tanking isn't as successful as in the days when a Hakeem, Ralph, Ewing, Kareem, Tim Duncan, Shaq etc were well known franchise players.  Those type of players don't exist anymore.  Just as likely to get a great player at 5-20 as in the top 3.  Lots of #1s have been trash too. 

No, those guys are not Jags or 3rd bananas.  See OKC and especially SacKings , getting picks means nothing.  Have to get an all world talent. 

Oh and forgot to mention Luka at #6. 

1 hour ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

well i agree the nba is stupid as tanking isn't as successful as in the days when a Hakeem, Ralph, Ewing, Kareem, Tim Duncan, Shaq etc were well known franchise players.  Those type of players don't exist anymore.  Just as likely to get a great player at 5-20 as in the top 3.  Lots of #1s have been trash too. 

No, those guys are not Jags or 3rd bananas.  See OKC and especially SacKings , getting picks means nothing.  Have to get an all world talent. 

Oh and forgot to mention Luka at #6. 

Not 6 I think 4 for Luka. And everyone with any sense was screaming that he had to be no worse than 2. NBA GM’s can be morons. There are at least 10 that are flat out horrible at their job, they pick early, fuck up and the process repeats. 

4 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

I get your point, but Harden went #3 overall.

Edited by runthebone

You are also really overrating George, Dame and a couple others if the point is to be something other than a mid tier playoff team. They’ve showed their entire career that there is a very real ceiling and it’s not that high for what they are. I’d rather have a conditional second round draft pick than George or Dame or any of those guys at 45 or 50 million. 

2 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

well i agree the nba is stupid as tanking isn't as successful as in the days when a Hakeem, Ralph, Ewing, Kareem, Tim Duncan, Shaq etc were well known franchise players.  Those type of players don't exist anymore.

I was originally going to go off on you with the typical “get off my lawn, they don’t make ‘em like they used to” rant but I think you’re right. Those guys all played multiple years in college and had proven track records. It’s much harder to evaluate the high schoolers and freshmen who are at the beginning of both their skills development but also their physical and emotional development. There are far fewer can’t-miss NBA prospects these days. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Kids are much further along skillwise coming out of high school these days. The AAU pipeline, as shady as it is, is a well-oiled machine that keeps kids playing non-stop. That's probably not great for their longevity, but a guy coming out in the class of '22 vs the class of '92 is ridiculously more developed. Being younger and having less film against the best of the best still makes it a bit of a crapshoot though.

2 hours ago, Horns RD Standard said:

So does the 6-game win streak get followed-up with a 6-game loser? Or has the team made real improvements thatll translate against better competition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the former. The 6 games we won were against bad teams like us. We’re not going to have many wins against playoff teams this season 

It’s weird how a report comes out Silas is on the hot seat for losing even though that’s what I thought our game plan was to rebuild and now he’s run off a winning streak. We all know that will end and we will end up being bottom 3 but still wonder what they’re plan is or what they expect from him. They needs to flip wood at the deadline.

10 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

It’s weird how a report comes out Silas is on the hot seat for losing even though that’s what I thought our game plan was to rebuild and now he’s run off a winning streak. We all know that will end and we will end up being bottom 3 but still wonder what they’re plan is or what they expect from him. They needs to flip wood at the deadline.

Either the FO is evaluating him based on criteria other than wins/losses and he wasn't meeting whatever those expectations were (lord only knows what that might be) or those reports were some bogus BS reporting! 

On 12/6/2021 at 4:23 PM, HtownHorn said:

This is near disaster for the front office. The team is better without Green and Porter playing.

I think I told everyone on here and clutch fans that the day Money left the org would fall apart bc he was the only positive once ferntits bought. This isn’t a promising start to this year. I don’t see any development happening and now we are winning and making draft position worse. Not great Bob. Not great. 

When Green comes back I think you bring him off the bench. Probably should have earned that right to start anyway. I also don't think Porter and Green can coexist in the same backcourt. So I think you try to move Porter, Gordon, Wood, and House at the deadline.

I'd go with Tate, Brooks, Matthews, Sengun, and Theis.

Hopefully you get a couple of young bigs to back up Sengun and Theis.

Then you have Green, Martin, Christopher, and whoever comes back in those deals.

29 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

When Green comes back I think you bring him off the bench. Probably should have earned that right to start anyway. I also don't think Porter and Green can coexist in the same backcourt. So I think you try to move Porter, Gordon, Wood, and House at the deadline.

I'd go with Tate, Brooks, Matthews, Sengun, and Theis.

Hopefully you get a couple of young bigs to back up Sengun and Theis.

Then you have Green, Martin, Christopher, and whoever comes back in those deals.

Agree with a lot of this. Except the moving of Porter. He was starting to demonstrate a lot of maturity before this recent injury. Not ready to to give up on him just yet. 

And good to luck silas and staff working the psyche of a 19 yr old picked #2 overall and convincing them its in their best interest to come off the bench. Not saying its a bad or wrong move ultimately, but that's a tough sales job there!

And yeah, no one's gonna argue with moving EG. It's just easier said than done though...it'd take a Morey-level fleece job. 

On 12/4/2021 at 6:31 PM, Llogg said:

Kids are much further along skillwise coming out of high school these days. The AAU pipeline, as shady as it is, is a well-oiled machine that keeps kids playing non-stop. That's probably not great for their longevity, but a guy coming out in the class of '22 vs the class of '92 is ridiculously more developed. Being younger and having less film against the best of the best still makes it a bit of a crapshoot though.

More skilled individually.  Have no idea how to exist in a team environment.   Gift and a a curse.   Also less likely to be receptive to criticism/coaching.

5 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So now we’re just 2.5 games back from being in a play-in playoff spot. This….was not part of the plan 

I'm beginning to think we should push in our chips and go get Simmons from Philly. If we are going to win because some white guy from Lipscomb is unstoppable, then we should roll with it. 

Simmons, Brooks/Green, Mathews, Tate, and Wood.

Sengun, Theis, Martin, and Christopher behind them.

2 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

I'm beginning to think we should push in our chips and go get Simmons from Philly. If we are going to win because some white guy from Lipscomb is unstoppable, then we should roll with it. 

Simmons, Brooks/Green, Mathews, Tate, and Wood.

Sengun, Theis, Martin, and Christopher behind them.

I'm of the belief that Simmons is a cancer we should stay far away from. Hold those chips for almost anyone else even it means we miss playoffs this year (which is still the most likely scenario anyways)

• Hook 'Em 1

players like Wood don't grow on trees, but some say rebuilding means to jettison 6'9" 26yo 16-11 forwards who can shoot the 3. The rebounding is 7th in the NBA.  Trade him for pick because we know a better players awaits. 

man i was so wrong about Mobley, should have taken him instead.  Imagine the dominant board force of Mobley/Wood. Missed out on a future all star.

hypothetically some of this should work itself out.  right now they are mainly winning because of veterans who are playing well.  eventually, those guys should be traded to contenders and it'll just be the young guys (and maybe john wall) who will play, develop, and lose.

they may not finish with the worst record in the league but i'm guessing they'll still be top 5.

14 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

hypothetically some of this should work itself out.  right now they are mainly winning because of veterans who are playing well.  eventually, those guys should be traded to contenders and it'll just be the young guys (and maybe john wall) who will play, develop, and lose.

they may not finish with the worst record in the league but i'm guessing they'll still be top 5.

Maybe we will be top 5.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

I'd really rather not finish with the 5th or 6th worst record which means you could realistically end up picking 8th or 9th, but rather the worst record and guarantee I pick no worse than 5th with a fair shot at top 3.  It's not like winning 26 games instead of 16 makes this season a lot more fun to get through.  Just feel like they are really going to regret this last 10 game stretch at the end of the year.  I agree though, the FO should absolutely work to torpedo any chance of winning by moving on from Gordon and anyone else who has the slightest positive value.  

• Hook 'Em 2

16 hours ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

Yes right after the report comes out silas is on the hot seat it made no sense. Why would a coach be on the hot seat when everyone know we were a 2-3 year tank for picks rebuild? Since then what’s our record? Like 8-2? So not sure what the FO wants for the season.

Tells me whatever source put that report out is probably full of Sh!t and had no clue what they were talking about in regards to the Rockets specifically