Austin G-man is outta here

Bat Guano

Austin Gingerman is closing - lease was bought out, according to the bartender. Stopped in over the weekend and they only had about half their usual selection, because they're letting the taps run out prior to closing in a couple of weeks.

Hadn't been going as much as I used to to the old location - seemed like when they moved 8 or 9 years ago they didn't have as great a selection. It was still a solid beer bar, though, and I'll miss it. Bartender says they're looking for a new location on the East side, and may reopen in several months to a year.

Went a couple weeks ago for the first time in years and while semi-nostalgiac it was pretty lame for a Thursday night. It was a decent place to get a pint before a Moody show though, so it will be missed. The new location could never recapture the vibe of the old place.

was a regular there for a while when they had the best selection in town. stopped going shortly after they moved to the new location. once the austin beer scene started taking off i quickly noticed that they had very few local taps. bartender said all new taps had to be approved by their corporate office, which was a hassle and took too long. about that time a bunch of new places started opening up around town and i found a new watering hole. patio at the old place was great though. 

40 minutes ago, stc said:

bartender said all new taps had to be approved by their corporate office,

I really don't get this line of thinking and it's not just at the Gingerman.   Why does some corporate idiot think they know better than the local guys?  

There's a sports bar by my house with maybe 18 taps.   12 are rotating micros and the owner has a bar manager that he gives complete control to.  Owner runs the kitchen.   Bar guy runs the bar and orders whatever he wants.   Probably turns his taps at least once every 7-10 days.   He'll have some "regular" stuff from 8th Wonder, Southern Star or Back Pew but at least 8-9 of the taps very from week to week. 

And guess what?  There are ALWAYS people there trying the new beers. 

But I'd guess that downtown Austin rent has as much to do with this as anything.   They could have been packed every afternoon/evening and the rent would still be killing them.