Alec Baldwin Shoots and Kills Cinematographer, Wounds Director

atomheartbevo

6 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

You’d have to go back a few posts to get more context on what I wrote, but it’s the Internet, context is mostly lost and I probably did a poor job making my point. I’m an Alec Baldwin fan.

I'm also a fan of this obviously flawed man. 

Curious how liability and insurance companies view the idea of the prop guys teaching and overseeing the actors loading their own weapons before the scenes?

You see the clips of the hours upon hours of martial arts training, etc actors go through.  Keanu spent untold hours with Taran Tactical and others learning his craft.  Would seem prudent to include this.  It will also keep me from loosing my shit like I did in Sicario where the CIA guy with glasses in waiting in the car with his AR with a fucking open bolt (meaning it can't fire) and his finger close to the trigger.  100% the prop guy had it back for obvious safety reasons and the actor just started the scene with it....oblivious to how it operates.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

If it was a live take, I cannot imagine he did anything wrong. This really sucks for everyone involved.

I take a weapon from people without checking the chamber all the time…

Yeah, Hindsight and all that shit, but seriously, who takes a weapon and doesn’t check it? The mndset that something is absolutely safe kinda bothers me.

On the flipside of that, maybe I wouldn’t last 3min as an actor because I didn’t trust the prop guy…

Edited by slorch

I have a buddy that's a prop master who I've been texting with. He's got some friends who were working on the film, apparently the whole production has been a shit show. The camera team tried to walk off the show last week because of gun/special effects safety concerns. The armorer is some 24 year old kid who clearly had no idea what he was doing. This is going to be a mess.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Has Trump tweeted on the situation?

This is how I envision Trump reacting to this tragic accident:

"unfortunately I'm saddened, but not that much, that my friend Alex , though I hate him,  accidentally discharged a weapon...Alex is known to discharge other things as noted by his hot Spanish yoga master wife HEEEEEELLLLAREEEEEOOOO , what a piece of ass she is, anyway, Alex should have known better and he got what he deserved for all those SNL skits, you know Im the most revered foil on SNL, but really I hate that show too, and Alex was a great actor, not as good as his brother who I love from my show, but Alex had a hot wife before HEEEEEELLLLLLARRRRREEEEOOO,  how did he mess that deal up, oh yeah the voicemail blah blah blah, I feel bad for the families,  but not really b/c New Mexicans didnt vote for me".

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Some prop guy is super fucked, as is the production company, etc., etc. Baldwin himself will be fine legally if it really was a prop error. No criminal intent, not even negligence, if someone else is responsible for ensuring the prop gun is safe to use for shooting. Of course the cloak room folks will have a field day because of his spot on and super mean portrayal of their most favorite person evar.

29 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Curious how liability and insurance companies view the idea of the prop guys teaching and overseeing the actors loading their own weapons before the scenes?

You see the clips of the hours upon hours of martial arts training, etc actors go through.  Keanu spent untold hours with Taran Tactical and others learning his craft.  Would seem prudent to include this.  It will also keep me from loosing my shit like I did in Sicario where the CIA guy with glasses in waiting in the car with his AR with a fucking open bolt (meaning it can't fire) and his finger close to the trigger.  100% the prop guy had it back for obvious safety reasons and the actor just started the scene with it....oblivious to how it operates.

I came here to post about how much safety training they do for the wick movies. Halle Barry and Reeves spent weeks off set doing shooting house training. On set there were numerous safety protocols/checks/clearing fire lines in set to be safe, etc, dry runs prop free.  

Just like you can have different corporate cultures, movies are set to set.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I came here to post about how much safety training they do for the wick movies. Halle Barry and Reeves spent weeks off set doing shooting house training. On set there were numerous safety protocols/checks/clearing fire lines in set to be safe, etc, dry runs prop free.  

Just like you can have different corporate cultures, movies are set to set.

Mid to high 8 figure budgets vs "independent feature"

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Some prop guy is super fucked, as is the production company, etc., etc. Baldwin himself will be fine legally if it really was a prop error. No criminal intent, not even negligence, if someone else is responsible for ensuring the prop gun is safe to use for shooting. Of course the cloak room folks will have a field day because of his spot on and super mean portrayal of their most favorite person evar.

Baldwin is a producer, so he may be fucked on that end.

Growing up in the 70's, this all seems vaguely familiar somehow.

I don't think the cops are finished with this one.

"Mrs. Columbo, is such a big fan of you work.  Could you autograph this for her, it would mean so much.  Thanks"

"Oh, and one more thing, Mr. Baldwin"

spacer.png

13 hours ago, deac_tracy said:

Didn't Bruce Lee's son die under similar circumstances?

Yes.  csb- I went to sailing camp with Brandon for a week aboard a big like 80 foot classic old school yacht when I was maybe 12 or 13.  We ended up handing out together the entire week.  Stayed in touch with him for about the next 6 months or so, then never heard from him again until that story came out.  Brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

I have a buddy that's a prop master who I've been texting with. He's got some friends who were working on the film, apparently the whole production has been a shit show. The camera team tried to walk off the show last week because of gun/special effects safety concerns. The armorer is some 24 year old kid who clearly had no idea what he was doing. This is going to be a mess.

That all may be true. And I don’t know what is customary on set, but…

when working with a real gun it shouldn’t be pointed at anyone without engineering controls in place. And there’s certainly no reason for anyone off camera to ever be in the line of fire. That’s very controllable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

he’s not fucked either way. the propmaster and on-set prop guy will take the hit. they’ll never work again.

they typically have shields in the firing line, which tells me this wasn’t during a live take or rehearsal, so prob no footage. 

insurance company will write a check. 

Except for the fact that he's going to live with this the rest of his life.  I can't imagine how I would handle that.

8 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

That all may be true. And I don’t know what is customary on set, but…

when working with a real gun it shouldn’t be pointed at anyone without engineering controls in place. And there’s certainly no reason for anyone off camera to ever be in the line of fire. That’s very controllable. 

Yeah no doubt. Like somebody said above this was a ton of fuckups all the way down the line by lots of people that ended in tragedy. 

If the armorer did indeed bring real bullets on-set by accident, then that is a colossal fuck up. If he is indeed a 24 year old with little experience then whomever hired him to be the gun prop man will pay out the nose for that mistake. It may be a low budget film but this is not where you should save money. Hindsight and all that but experience would have prevented this horrible accident. 

8 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Come on man. The only outright bullshit on here should be limited to recruiting and offseason reports from the 9.95ers and those mimicking them.

Damn, I didn't even try to monetize this. I'm leaving money on the table!

Seriously, I was texted that pic and had no idea it was fake. Life goes on.

2 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

If the armorer did indeed bring real bullets on-set by accident, then that is a colossal fuck up. If he is indeed a 24 year old with little experience then whomever hired him to be the gun prop man will pay out the nose for that mistake. It may be a low budget film but this is not where you should save money. Hindsight and all that but experience would have prevented this horrible accident. 

Yeah, I would think any western is gonna nail two things, no matter the cost.  Weaponry and Horses.  You can synthesize the old saloon and replicate period wardrobes but the guns gotta look and sound authentic and the actors need to be around quality trained horses.  

this movie sounds like it had an intern running the armory mixing in rounds from his side gig at the shooting range. And a couple of shit-breed horses whacked out on deworming paste.  

I think Baldwin is a crazed asshole with bizarre politics and a lot of emotional baggage.  But I don’t ever remember him in a bad dramatic/adventure role.  And he’s probably one of the top ten funniest people I’ve ever met.  

40 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I'm surprised that live ammunition is even allowed on a set.  What would be the purpose if that is the case?

New Mexico is an "open carry" state, which means that it's legal for most adults to openly carry guns and other deadly weapons in public without a license. 

The play guns and the real guns can get mixed up.  Don't point a gun at someone, ever, unless you want to kill them, I get.  On a movie set where you are actually tasked with shooting someone with a fake gun, not so much.  I don't have a point here other than this is a tragedy and it sucks for everyone involved.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, C-Man said:

The difference is that it does not appear that Baldwin intended to kill the cinematographer in this situation. Can't say the same for the incident Baldwin was talking about.

Hey this is 2021, you bend any statement to fit into your alternate reality.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Yes.  csb- I went to sailing camp with Brandon for a week aboard a big like 80 foot classic old school yacht when I was maybe 12 or 13.  We ended up handing out together the entire week.  Stayed in touch with him for about the next 6 months or so, then never heard from him again until that story came out.  Brutal.

Wait, so you're confessing to have spent a week with Brandon Lee and subsequently communicated with him for a period of time, and then he's mysteriously killed?  Very suspect.