NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

05A81E45-9284-4E7D-B346-5FEFC89CAF3F.thumb.jpeg.1616218735df845cb8c0b2cddb60c232.jpeg

my boy KJ played in some big HS event (Pangos) with Chet Holmgren, Damion Collins, this Paolo guy, etc, and Holmgren and Banchero stood out over the rest of the field by a wide margin. some guys at the event put up some nice numbers, but those were putting up like 28 and 10 type numbers. Holmgren may have all the press, but PB looks like he's every bit the real deal as Chet is.

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

@Underdog KU is only 4 games back for the all time wins record and we’ve got an experienced and deep team this year. I think we take the record by the end of the year. What are your thoughts?? Kick some K ass on Tuesday. 

Yeah, KU has been creeping closer every season, so no surprise when they surpass UK.  UK BB is all about the NBA Draft now, titles be damned!  I’m sooooo ready for Cal to hit the road.  Nate Oats?  C’mon up, you’re the next basketball coach at UK.  

47 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Yeah, KU has been creeping closer every season, so no surprise when they surpass UK.  UK BB is all about the NBA Draft now, titles be damned!  I’m sooooo ready for Cal to hit the road.  Nate Oats?  C’mon up, you’re the next basketball coach at UK.  

Oates would be my first choice if we lost self. Once K is gone I don’t know if you’ll be able to name a better coach in the NCAA than Self.  

What is the mechanism to offload Cal? Pay him for the rest of his life?

6 hours ago, Underdog said:

Izzo might have a say in being best after K.  

I think it's those three and everyone else. And not as much of a runaway for Coach K as most may think. 

Coach Izzo has made the SS or better 15 out of the last 23 seasons with 9 FFs and 1 title. Coach Cal, 12/23 SS or better with 4 FFs and 1 title, which includes his time at Memphis. Coach K has 17/23 SS or better, 5 FFs, and 3 titles. IMHO, coaching gets you to the FF, talent wins the title and Coach K has generally had superior talent.

All three are at the top of the profession. A more fascinating question is how each might have done at one of the other schools. How would Coach K fare without the recruiting allure of Duke? How would Coach Izzo handle an annual parade of 5* prima donnas at Kentucky or Duke? Would Coach Cal have any trouble anywhere? 

to me Bill Self is the best coach in CBB. if you want to throw out the tourney and only count the other 98% of games that NCAA teams play then i don't think anyone can argue that it's not Self. nobody is a better regular season coach than Bill Self:

2CDB0010-EAE0-4D17-8C12-A8FD4C26F0D0.thumb.jpeg.a250c2310a025d2d8d3e223fce86cb42.jpeg

97558C52-870D-4F13-8A5F-F440C7CA977B.thumb.jpeg.3131222c10b45e6fe5a083c81e5aeb59.jpeg

that's unbelievable, but nobody talks about him like that because he only has one national title. maybe he isn't the best at winning six consecutive games in a one-and-done tournament, but there is nobody who matches his regular season consistency, and that's with the Big XII being the preeminent hoops conference for the last 8-9 years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

last year was the first time since the 1999 Tulsa team that a Bill Self coached team finished lower than 18th in kenpom. they've finished in the top 10 of kenpom SIXTEEN times in that same span. for this reason, Bill Self is the best coach in college hoops, imo 

Edited by shadow_operative

11 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

I think it's those three and everyone else. And not as much of a runaway for Coach K as most may think. 

Coach Izzo has made the SS or better 15 out of the last 23 seasons with 9 FFs and 1 title. Coach Cal, 12/23 SS or better with 4 FFs and 1 title, which includes his time at Memphis. Coach K has 17/23 SS or better, 5 FFs, and 3 titles. IMHO, coaching gets you to the FF, talent wins the title and Coach K has generally had superior talent.

All three are at the top of the profession. A more fascinating question is how each might have done at one of the other schools. How would Coach K fare without the recruiting allure of Duke? How would Coach Izzo handle an annual parade of 5* prima donnas at Kentucky or Duke? Would Coach Cal have any trouble anywhere? 

Coach K created the recruiting allure of Duke. They weren't anything special prior to him. In fact I'm really interested in what will happen to Duke after he leaves. If they don't hit the ground running they're at risk of turning into a UCLA or something like much lesser than their peak.

4 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Coach K created the recruiting allure of Duke. They weren't anything special prior to him. In fact I'm really interested in what will happen to Duke after he leaves. If they don't hit the ground running they're at risk of turning into a UCLA or something like much lesser than their peak.

Interesting that UCLA has ran through a gamut of coaches after Wooden with only one title to show for it, and with arguably the worst coach in the lot, with many several FF appearances.  IU is finding out now how tough it is since Knight left.  UK, Duke, UNC, KU are just one coach away from starting the downfall. 

26 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Who do you guys think ends up a better program in year 4 once scheyer takes over? Duke or year 4 UNC with Hubert?

I think Duke will show more patience with Scheyer than UNC will with Davis if both struggle.  Have to wonder if Hurly had been more successful at ASU if he would’ve gotten the nod? 

I think K selected scheyer because he has the best temperament of anyone in the tree. Hurley is too whiny. Scheyer might be a bitch but he hasn’t shown anything but class on the sideline. 

I also agree on duke having more patience. I think Hubert will be gone with 2 missed tourneys or 3 early exits. Then I bet they turn to jerrod haase because of the Carolina way isn’t foreign to haase. At that point they’re just looking for anyone that knows where the bodies are buried and is interested in keeping them buried. 

As much fun as I had blasting Quin while he was at mizzou, he is probably a top 5 coach in the NBA and has seemingly atoned for his sins. No chance he comes back to college unless his fortunes turn bigly in Utah. 

I made one of those as a freshman in high school playing on the freshman team, at about 3/4 court, but it was just at the end of the first half. I was a pg and at the beginning of the 2nd half we got the ball. They threw it in to me at about 3/4 court and every parent in the stands was screaming “SHOOT”.  I was sort of embarrassed until -

Next day varsity practice we are headed to the small gym where we practice, but varsity coach sees me. 

“Hey justhookit, heard you made one from here last night. If you make it again these guys can go home, otherwise they are doing 10 up and arounds”  - think horses only worse.

threw me the ball, I shot, and it didn’t even make it to the baseline. 

38 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Because 8:00pm Pacific Time isn’t unreasonable?

I guess that one is on P12 network so that makes more sense. Most of the audience is in that time zone

Having games on national TV that start at 8:30 PT - when one of the teams is on the East Coast - is ridiculous. If an NBA or MLB game has ever started past 7:30 Pacific I must have missed it. 

50 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Gonna have to take a nap to stay up and watch this, will be interesting to see if UCLA recaptures their FF run. 

I think we will.  Every single player who saw any minutes in the tourney is back, plus added Myles Johnson, the B1G's rebounding leader last year from Rutgers, and (remember this name) Peyton Watson, 5-star McDonald's AA.  Kid is a highlight reel already.  I think the #2 ranking is legit.  Gonna be a good one tonight.  

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I guess that one is on P12 network so that makes more sense. Most of the audience is in that time zone

Having games on national TV that start at 8:30 PT - when one of the teams is on the East Coast - is ridiculous. If an NBA or MLB game has ever started past 7:30 Pacific I must have missed it. 

I agree that it's a stupid tipoff time.  It's too fucking late on the WEST coast, let alone in Philly.