2021 World Series: Houston Astros vs. Atlanta Braves

texashorne

I think the White Sox are probably the best team the Astros will have faced in the post-season.  They had the best pitching staff in baseball and a well-above average hitting lineup, with their only real flaw being their fielding.  I'm still surprised we blew up their starters in each game of that series.

The Braves are good at a lot of things but aren't really elite at anything.  I think Riley, Freeman, and Soler are good hitters, but after that the lineup fades pretty quickly.  Rosario and Pederson have been hot but both are generally average hitters.  

With that being said, I think this series will probably come down to which versions of Valdez, Garcia, and Javier the Astros get in this series.  Those three guys turned the ALCS around and shut a red hot Red Sox offense down.  If they play like they did in games 4-6 of the ALCS then I think the Astros win fairly comfortably, if not then this series could go either way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Astros are better on paper. But the number of Astros fans that think this series is over before it starts gives me pause. Nothing’s that easy. I say Braves in 6. Astros blow a couple games they should win. 

No Astros fan thinks this is over before it even started. Repeat: it is the playoffs, anything can happen. I didn't give the Braves much of a chance vs LA because of depth and experience on the Dodgers side, but I also knew they matched up ok considering the trouble they've given the Dodgers in the past. I didn't think the Nats would beat the Astros in 2019 and they pulled it off. But by the numbers, by the experience, and by the intangibles, the Astros are the favorite. 

• Like 3

There are NO guarantees in the post season. Anyone who has watched baseball knows that. There have been plenty of times the "underdog" have won. 40 plus year Astros fan and im not taking anything being won before a game is played.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Starfleet Command said:

The Braves are good at a lot of things but aren't really elite at anything.  I think Riley, Freeman, and Soler are good hitters, but after that the lineup fades pretty quickly. 

Ozzie Albies hit 40 doubles, 30 HR, drove in 106 rbi, and stole 20 bases. he's decent.

also Adam Duvall led the league in RBI.

Edited by shadow_operative
  • Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Ozzie Albies hit 40 doubles, 30 HR, drove in 106 rbi, and stole 20 bases. he's decent.

also Adam Duvall led the league in RBI.

That’s nice but Albies doesn’t get on base all that often so overall he’s been about average the past couple of seasons and his xwOBA doesn’t indicate that he’s been unlucky either.  Duvall isn’t all that much different. Neither has had a  >.350 xwOBA in their respective careers. Yawn. 

16 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

sure, but the Braves are scoring 5.2 runs per game since August 1st. that's not "yawn".

whoopty fuckin doo.

The point is the Braves lineup isn't better than the Astros lineup. IT'S INARGUABLE.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=0&type=8&season=2021&month=1000&season1=2021&ind=0&team=0,ts&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&startdate=2021-08-01&enddate=2021-10-25&sort=15,d

Edited by Gourmand

3 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

whoopty fuckin doo.

The point is the Braves lineup isn't better than the Astros lineup. IT'S INARGUABLE.

No - the point is that the Braves have a dangerous lineup with some big-dick hitters. You decided to make it about the Astros lineup for some reason. 

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

Astros are better on paper. But the number of Astros fans that think this series is over before it starts gives me pause. Nothing’s that easy. I say Braves in 6. Astros blow a couple games they should win. 

Cliff Notes: The Astros are better, but they're gonna lose because I don't like them.

• Haha 1

Just now, ztejas said:

No - the point is that the Braves have a dangerous lineup with some big-dick hitters. You decided to make it about the Astros lineup for some reason. 

The Astros lineup had a .787 OPS to the Braves .760 from Aug 1st until today.

For the regular season it was Astros .783 to Braves .754.

Which dick is bigger?

16 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

nobody made that argument. 

Just now, shadow_operative said:

this thread is too funny. literally anything positive said about the Braves is met with incredulous hostility by multiple astros fans.

"i had a great hot dog at Turner Field."

"THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE ELOTE AND PUPUSAS IN ATLANTA SO WHO GIVES A FLYONG FUCK?!?"

man you are weak. there is no hostility or anger here, this is an internet forum of admitted assholes who are talking about baseball and you get your fatass whaletail all twisted over the slightest pushback against your simplistic nonsense. Grow a pair.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say the Braves faced a little bit tougher of a schedule (regular season & post) than the Astros have. There’s no Rangers or Angels in the NL East.

i mean, the astros beat the white sox who came from a terrible division, and a Boston team ghat nobody respected or feared. meanwhile the braves beat the brewers, followed by a Dodgers team that was the defending champs, the team with the best record in baseball* (106 wins), and the odds-on favorite to win this year's world series. and yet astros fans are just like, "pffft, the shitty braves aren't even as good as the white sox. astros in 4."

*after 162

Edited by shadow_operative

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ll go out on a limb and say the Braves faced a little bit tougher of a schedule (regular season & post) than the Astros have. There’s no Rangers or Angels in the NL East.

I’ll go out on a limb and say you can’t even do something as basic as bothering to look at the standings.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You would be wrong as is your usual. It’s really and truly unbelievable how often you are able to pull the bookshelf on top of yourself. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Starfleet Command said:

I’d maybe put this series at 52/48 Houston and that’s only because of what Framber and Garcia showed in the ALCS.

The Astros clearly have the better lineup but I’m a big believer in pitching > hitting in the playoffs and Fried/Morton have been much more consistent this season than Valdez/Garcia. 

Agreed but after what we saw from Framber and Garcia in gms 5 and 6 I'm pretty convinced that the Astros figured something out about the Red Sox "dark arts" and/or realized what their pitching was doing wrong and adjusted accordingly. If they are pounding the zone like they did in those games, the Astros are going to be hard to beat.

1 minute ago, Gourmand said:

Agreed but after what we saw from Framber and Garcia in gms 5 and 6 I'm pretty convinced that the Astros figured something out about the Red Sox "dark arts" and/or realized what their pitching was doing wrong and adjusted accordingly. If they are pounding the zone like they did in those games, the Astros are going to be hard to beat.

Possibly, but I think both pitchers had better stuff and located much better in their second appearances of the series. Hopefully that carries over as I was convinced Garcia was finished this year. If Framber and Garcia are still locating in the mid-90s I think we are in good shape. 

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

Possibly, but I think both pitchers had better stuff and located much better in their second appearances of the series. Hopefully that carries over as I was convinced Garcia was finished this year. If Framber and Garcia are still locating in the mid-90s I think we are in good shape. 

I mean, I just refuse to believe that Garcia and Framber and Urquidy just all of a sudden became that shitty and ineffective so early in ballgames. Something else was going on. The Red Sox were 18th in walk rate and suddenly became badasses with their plate discipline and hit a new record for postseason HRs and three grand slams in two games vs Astros pitching.

I’ve been concerned about the Astros’ pitching all season, and then they lost McCullers. But, they’ve already made it through the AL.

I’m thinking Astros in 7. The lineup is so strong and I think the pitching is just good enough.

That said, it’s baseball. In a 7-game series with two really good teams, no outcome is really all that improbable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

If Framber/Luis pitch like end of BOS series: Astros in 5 or 6.

If Framber/Luis pitch like beginning of BOS series: Braves in 5 or 6.

In between: who the fuck knows but nothing would surprise me.

Keys to the series (from an Astro homer’s perspective):
1) Obviously Framber and Luis. I think their starts will tell the story either way.

2) How the fuck do we handle no DH? Do we bench Yordan or Brantley or send out a Yordan/Tucker/Brantley OF and pray for groundouts?

3) Tom Hallion. I mean how the fuck do you have him ump another game with the same team that you fucked ten days prior (let alone make him chief)? Does he double down? Overcompensate? No idea but I don’t like it.

4) Lefty on lefty matchups. Historically, our LH guys hit lefties well, but the Braves relievers are better than most we’ve faced. Does the success continue?

Bottom line: I like the Astros better on paper but the Braves are absolutely good enough to win this series.

My admittedly biased analysis: ‘Stros in 6

(An aside: really wish both teams were full strength. This would feel like a true battle of juggernauts instead of the kind of lukewarm reaction I’ve sensed around baseball.)

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

What happened to Miami? They were terrible, like always.

Playoff team last year if you weren’t paying attention. Jeter has been making some smart chess moves with the roster, thought it would’ve come together better by now. Could be a sleeper team next year.

5 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Playoff team last year if you weren’t paying attention. Jeter has been making some smart chess moves with the roster, thought it would’ve come together better by now. Could be a sleeper team next year.

Below 500 team through 60 games.  2nd place in a shitty division. So freaking what? 

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Along with more than half the league in a 60 game season. Averaged 99 losses a year over the last 3 complete seasons. Who wasn’t paying attention again?

Wonder what the series will do viewer-wise. No Boston or LA will hurt big time. I know sports viewership is down, but damn both LCS’s obliterated the NBA games they were up against in the ratings. I know it’s playoffs vs opening week a season but there’s no way that would’ve happened 5-10 years ago. NBA needs to figure out what’s been going wrong.

On 10/24/2021 at 3:42 PM, Macklemore said:

The ballpark is in Cobb County to the northwest of downtown. They bucked the trend in moving from the Ted near downtown to a more suburban location. The Ted sucked- nothing to do around it. Complete 180 with their new park.  Truist Park is in the middle of a new development called the Battery. Very well done. They have lots of bars and restaurants next to the stadium plus apartments, offices and shops. Hope the Astros buy up the land around MMP and do what the Braves have done because they have created a great entertainment district to enjoy a game and do something before or after.

Superica has excellent Tex-Mex by chef Ford Fry who is from Htown. Antico great Neapolitan pies and El Super Pan Cuban sandwiches are also good options. For bars there is one of those Live at the Battery bars like the one the Rangers just built in Arlington. CRÚ Food & Wine Bar, Garden & Gun Club and Terrapin Taproom are solid pre/post game spots. Terrapin also serves Fox Bros BBQ which is best Texas style BBQ available in Atlanta. I would get a hotel in Midtown- something like the Loews and rent a car.

Thanks for the info. Ended up going with the Loews hotel. Used a hookup to get in the presale for tickets today. Can’t wait. 

Look, I don't think anyone is bagging on the Braves here.  Saying their lineup is not quite as good as Houston's is an objective statement of fact, and you've been shown the stats that prove it.  Saying the White Sox were as good or better than the Braves is not disrespect, either.  The White Sox won 93 games and had nasty starting pitching.  I feel like some of y'all are using the fact that Houston bounced them relatively easily as proof that they weren't that good.  Look, the White Sox and Red Sox were good fucking teams and the Astros went 7-3 against them.

I picked the Astros in 5, not as disrespect to Atlanta, but as belief in Houston.  The Astros got dismantled by Boston twice and they were done, dead, buried.  Then they won the next three games by a combined 23-3.  Their offense is red hot and so is their pitching, at exactly the right time.  The Braves have their hands full here.

That said, it's baseball, and we might get a nail-biting classic.  We'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

... followed by a Dodgers team that was the defending champs, the team with the best record in baseball* (106 wins), and the odds-on favorite to win this year's world series...

*after 162

I mean I agree this thread is stupid and I'd be happy if either one of you would just stop, but don't put stuff that's wrong or pedantic assholes will have to argue.

(you can't have the best record in baseball if you finished second in your own division)

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, TonyTexas said:

If only there was a way to determine which team is better. 

They should  set up a predetermined maximum string of games alternately  played at each team's home park, where final victory can be attained by whichever team wins the majority of the predetermined maximum game number.

Kind of like the World Series of Poker, but this would a "World Series of Baseball", as it were.