Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

41 minutes ago, immamac said:

From the responses I guess it doesn't matter at all outside of "all republicans are evil". 

Was this because turnout was low for one party or the other, was there a dramatic shift away from last election? This just doesn't seem to matter at all.

Virginia was a test of the CRT playbook Repubs could use to win in 2022 and 2024. 

CRT = DEI to the trumper herd.

DEI enjoys broad support in the corporate world, so Repubs latched onto a law school concept ("CRT") for interpreting law in legal settings and created a bogeyman called CRT in schools

Idiocracy in action.

The obvious question for Repubs is why they loathe diversity, equity and inclusion? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

Virginia was a test of the CRT playbook Repubs could use to win in 2022 and 2024. 

DEI enjoys broad support in the corporate world, so Repubs latched onto a law school concept ("CRT") for interpreting law in legal settings and created a bogeyman called CRT in schools

Idiocracy in action.

The obvious question for Repubs is why they loathe diversity, equity and inclusion? 

Stupid people have always been stupid. This doesn't answer my question. If a bunch of stupid people turn out and a bunch of smart people don't. Then obviously we are going to elect stupid fucking representation. 

What the hell are you on about with all this CRT shit. More people voted for someone than the other guy, CRT didn't magically sway people that voted dem to vote republican. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Which are taxes.  Very regressive taxes.  Are you really this fucking dumb?

Stop it sister, you're still playing the aggrieved party thing, and its not a good look. My point was lowering taxes on people who don't pay income taxes now is kind of redundant.  Do you really have this poor of a grasp on the tax policy of our nation ?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

i don't think they care about any of that.  they care about power.  to maintain power, you must win elections.  to win elections from the right, you have to pump fear to the older white voters who fear, well, diversity, equity, and inclusion, because it threatens their place.

if caring about that stuff won elections, they'd turn on a dime and act like nothing changed.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

Stupid people have always been stupid. This doesn't answer my question. If a bunch of stupid people turn out and a bunch of smart people don't. Then obviously we are going to elect stupid fucking representation. 

What the hell are you on about with all this CRT shit. More people voted for someone than the other guy, CRT didn't magically sway people that voted dem to vote republican. 

Well, it kinda did. It turns out telling a bunch of Karen’s that they have no say in their children’s education isn’t a winning strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The voters the GOP pried away were recent anti trump, suburban dem converts.  To put it in Texas terms: those new dem voters in Williamson or Tarrant county aren’t ride or die with the Democratic Party.

Unpossible. I was told that alienating the young and progressive voters that make up the base of the Democratic Party in favor of mild tweaks to the status quo in order to appease this demographic was the way; that they wouldn’t be going home to their cultural interest as soon as it was packaged a bit more tidy.

Who could have foreseen this?

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Stop it sister, you're still playing the aggrieved party thing, and its not a good look. My point was lowering taxes on people who don't pay income taxes now is kind of redundant.  Do you really have this poor of a grasp on the tax policy of our nation ?

You are so incredibly disingenuous it is fucking breathtaking.  I have a very, very good grasp of tax policy in this nation.  I think it is you that is ignorant on a lot of fucking things.  

Fuck you Penelope, get a life, and get off my leg.  Oh noes somebody doesn't think like I do.. Thank god for that...

I love it. I've seen a few of these posts from Pen lately....  "you used to be a good poster, but then you started disagreeing with me, and well that makes you an asshole"....

You really are a petulant little child aren't you.  Do you stamp your feet, and hold your breath too ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Well, it kinda did. It turns out telling a bunch of Karen’s that they have no say in their children’s education isn’t a winning strategy. 

Telling anyone they don't have a say in their Childs education is a fucked up thing to proclaim.

EDIT:  Wow, so I guess you don't have children. My Childrens education was of paramount importance to me and my wife, and anyone telling us we didn't have a say in what they were learning is fucked up beyond belief, and so are you if you think parents shouldn't have a say in their Childs education. Are you really that ignorant or just having another temper tantrum  ?

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

20 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

You are so incredibly disingenuous it is fucking breathtaking.  I have a very, very good grasp of tax policy in this nation.  I think it is you that is ignorant on a lot of fucking things.  

Disingenuous ?  Really on what topics ma'am ?  I mean you know me so well.

EDIT Crickets chirping......... not a response at all other than your little finger .. Yes you have a faaaaaabulous command of debate...

EDIT:  Still waiting on that list of disingenuous topics Pen Ol girl...  c'mon, give it to me....

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

But I don't get the hate for them from the more educated and/or rational types.

There’s a whole shitload of us that dgaf about the social or religious bullshit that the evangelicals have decided are so important, or even side with the Ds on, but are just more conservative in nature.  But yeah, fuck the evangelical side of it.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Yep, its just trump at one of his hate rallies pointing out his black supporter. Or sticking a black dude behind the camera in a maga hat. Makes the sacks of the world feel better about themselves. 

if exit poling can be believed (always a dubious assertation) the GOP pulled 12-13% of the AA vote yesterday in VA.  That's a huge number for them.  Dems won't win many elections at that number if it were to hold nationwide (I don't suspect it will- but who knows).  Youngkin also is speculated to have carried the majority of hispanics.  SA just flipped a suburban Texas ledge seat in a 73% hispanic district.  You can say lots of bad stuff about Trump (and I sure as shit did), but he did better with minorities than any candidate since W, and they appear to maybe be sticking around?  

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

nathan fillion castle GIF

I would like to see her shoot that rifle just the way it's configured.

i would like to see none of our elected officials posing with guns, but i am weird like that.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Just now, fattyflattie said:

There’s a whole shitload of us that dgaf about the social or religious bullshit that the evangelicals have decided are so important, or even side with the Ds on, but are just more conservative in nature.  But yeah, fuck the evangelical side of it.  

Yep, the evangelicals are so blinded by religious issues they don't get the whole separation of church and state, and that others don't share their views and must be compromised with.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Define conservative in nature.  I am fascinated to hear this.

25 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No they pay sales tax, gas taxes, and other point of purchase taxes, and then make zero income tax payments, but hey thanks for playing.

Republicans in congress love those child tax credits!

Edited by yoladu

5 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

if exit poling can be believed (always a dubious assertation) the GOP pulled 12-13% of the AA vote yesterday in VA.  That's a huge number for them.  Dems won't win many elections at that number if it were to hold nationwide (I don't suspect it will- but who knows).  Youngkin also is speculated to have carried the majority of hispanics.  SA just flipped a suburban Texas ledge seat in a 73% hispanic district.  You can say lots of bad stuff about Trump (and I sure as shit did), but he did better with minorities than any candidate since W, and they appear to maybe be sticking around?  

latinos maybe, which seem to vote as less of a monolith across different states (ca vs nv vs tx and so forth).  but i'm pretty sure african american votes have held pretty steady around 88-90% dem for 30+ years.  i'm not doing the research, but i remember this conversation from a year ago.

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In Texas at least that’s all about the border. Here’s his main ad. 

The border is basically the worst polling issue for Biden. His approval rating on this abc poll for the border situation is 31%. It has a downstream effect  

• Fuck You 2

Turnout in Virginia was good for both parties.  The GOP candidate managed to pry away some voters who had supported Biden in the last election, based on a number of factors, mostly surrounding education. The voters the GOP pried away were recent anti trump, suburban dem converts.  To put it in Texas terms: those new dem voters in Williamson or Tarrant county aren’t ride or die with the Democratic Party.
New Jersey surprised everyone, but seems indicative of GOP anger and Dem low excitement.
The VA results are a perfect example of why Trump has no business running in 2024.
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

You're conservative because you benefit from the status quo. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Define conservative in nature.  I am fascinated to hear this.

I just like things that move at a slower pace, less radical change.  R party has largely left me, but Ds definitely haven’t filled the void. If anything, they’ve made me hold my nose more than they did 10 years ago. A man without a party :( 

27 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Idiocracy in action.

Wouldn't the bigger question then be why 13% of Blacks, 31% of Hispanics and 34% of Asians loathe diversity, equity and inclusion?

1 minute ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Wouldn't the bigger question then be why 13% of Blacks, 31% of Hispanics and 34% of Asians loathe diversity, equity and inclusion?

Because people who lack empathy and love to pull the ladder up after themselves tend to vote republican?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, fattyflattie said:

I just like things that move at a slower pace, less radical change.  R party has largely left me, but Ds definitely haven’t filled the void. If anything, they’ve made me hold my nose more than they did 10 years ago. A man without a party :( 

This is the exact argument made by Southern Democrats when it came time to pass the Civil and Voting Rights Acts.

• Rage+1 2

Yeah, this gets back to my Dems are bad at politics take. The Dems will never fucking understand the importance of messaging.  They don't need to get in the weeds on this shit, but they need to say something, and they just haven't.
And this is because when democrats go to college they take political science and learn to talk wonk to wonk. When republicans go to college they go to business school and learn how to sell shit to rubes.

28 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

Idiocracy in action.

As an Gen X white guy with Gen X white guy friends, who are mainly republicans, I can tell you their views. They don't believe anything was handed to them based on their race or gender. And most likely they were never pulled into a room and told that they were getting the job or the promotion because they're white and male.  And my guess is that most of them would even refuse to entertain any possibility that a door was opened for them because of their race/gender. In their eyes, it's only their hard work that led to their success.

Because they don't think anything was made easy or handed to them, it pisses them off if they think anyone is getting something they didn't get. Many don't want to think about someone that may have had a door shut in their face when the white guy was hired.

I'm not defending or validating their beliefs, just telling you their feelings. Also guys, with this belief, are frequently running organizations. They embrace DEI only because they believe they must.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

Remind me who the Democratic nominee was?

I should probably catch up with the whole thread before responding, but I just can't.

You're a smart guy. I respect your thinking. In this case, you have narrowed your focus to a single aspect of what is going on. Well, maybe two, actually.

I agree that the Dem bench is weak with candidates. I might argue that this is mostly because people of color, particularly the darker color, aren't viable candidates in many places. I see a regular stream of impressive black holders of small offices and others who articulate Dem values better than anyone else. I feel pretty strongly that the most promising Dems are women and men of color.

So the Dems are either too timid or too realistic to put up some of their best people. So they nominate the guy in VA whose poor quality as a candidate I will take your word for. 

The problem with blaming an election outcome on that and not the electorate's support or indifference to the insurrection is outdated analysis. 

You bring up needing the middle to win as though the middle is some sort of thoughtful bloc of voters just hoping for a moderate alternative. I disagree. They're political idiots who don't have a clue and don't want to get political because it's all so nasty. They hear the idiot media casually refer to "political bickering that the people are tired of" and they put that facile shoe on quite happily. Why is there so much disagreement in politics? It's so bickerful and a turn-off!

I watched about fifteen minutes of the pre-election coverage on CNN and MSNBC Monday night. They're crunching the numbers about vote counts and different counties and all the other shit they focus on out of laziness. The news media are hostile to news. They love a nice story such as an election that they can break out the template for.

This is basically the same as any mid-term any election cycle if you watch the TV. Except it's not. This is another snapshot of the vital signs of an electorate embracing lies, rejecting reality, or just keeping their heads up their asses.

In this face of all of this, the personality or details about a candidate from the party that wants to investigate the insurrection, stand against Trumpism's corruption of democratic institutions including the Justice Department, make positive statements about race, face the greatest global crisis for humans in history, and attempt to rebuild the country's infrastructure seems trivial.

And that's it. That's exactly it. We elect on triviality. We vote for happy talk. We like Alphas who anonymously call people whiny bitches.

The Dems should have run a better candidate and they would have won? So it's all a personality cult based system now?

You're missing the forest for the trees, my friend.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

As an Gen X white guy with Gen X white guy friends, who are mainly republicans, I can tell you their views. They don't believe anything was handed to them based on their race or gender. And most likely they were never pulled into a room and told that they were getting the job or the promotion because they're white and male.  And my guess is that most of them would even refuse to entertain any possibility that a door was opened for them because of their race/gender. In their eyes, it's only their hard work that led to their success.

Because they don't think anything was made easy or handed to them, it pisses them off if they think anyone is getting something they didn't get. Many don't want to think about someone that may have had a door shut in their face when the white guy was hired.

I'm not defending or validating their beliefs, just telling you their feelings. Also guys, with this belief, are frequently running organizations. They embrace DEI only because they believe they must.  

Ahhh, the warm embrace of white privilege.

• Like 1

Just now, David Dennison said:

So you acknowledge that there is a racial caste system in the United States. 

I acknowledge that there's racism everywhere on the planet, and some people use it to hold others down.  The caste system we have is much more  economically driven today than race.

• Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Interesting story here

This truck driver from New Jersey, big guy with hairy forearms, he comes up to me and says, "Mr. President, sir." He choked up with tears and couldn't speak. Tears rolling down his manly cheeks. "I want to unseat the most powerful Democrat in New Jersey."

"Just buy some doughnuts," I said. I love donuts. Glazed. Sugar. Chocolate with chocolate filling. Mmmm. Doughnuts. "Buy some doughnuts for your friends." 

He calls me last night. "Mr. Current President, sir, it worked. You're a genius!" A lot of people don't know the power of doughnuts. And I am a genius. Did you know Lincoln was a Republican? Go look it up. It's true. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Last time I checked, those are taxes, but like I said, they aren't the ones Republicans whine about.

And those are not the taxes democrats go on about lowering. In fact democrats are on a tear about raising gas taxes (which they should be based on current cafe stands for fuel efficiency).  

Goal post moving a time honored CR tradition by some.

• Fuck You 1