Do we have a McAullife vs. Younkin thread?

Gil Bang

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I acknowledge that there's racism everywhere on the planet, and some people use it to hold others down.  The caste system we have is much more  economically driven today than race.

Yes, and slavery was much more economically driven than racially driven. Excellent point, as always.

• Hook 'Em 1

36 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

You white progressives have done a bang up job with minorities.  One shutters to think where they would be without all your "help"

Are you aware that that sentiment is at the heart of Critical Race Theory? 

Part of it is all about how national goals and policies for blacks sound good at that level but don't work at the local level. Assumptions about race are endimic to the system and lead to counterproductive policies.

Was the end of segretation really a boon for black children? There were many quite good black schools in the south where kids were not exposed to daily racism. The loss of those schools was bitterly lamented. CRT takes this into consideration

I believe it also explores the proposition that progress in race relations only occur when it's in the interest of the white power structure. An example was that the Soviet Union was pounding the USA on its horrible racial situation. The Soviets could claim that their society had no such limitations for its citizens.

This embarrassment is part of the impetus behind the Civil Rights laws of the 1960s according to CRT. Sounds plausible to me.

I got all of this from either the New Yorker or Atlantic. Pretty interesting stuff. It's a shame that reading one article makes me one of the best informed lay persons on what CRT is.

• Hook 'Em 2

I just like things that move at a slower pace, less radical change.

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion and I think a lot of people across the political spectrum feel this way on various issues. To an extent that’s human nature. But I hope there’s two things you will consider:

1.) When it comes to issues like the structural racism and wealth inequality in this country, that’s an incredibly easy, “eh, fuck you I got mine” thing to say when you’re on the right side of things.

Side note - I don’t know how Democrats don’t dominate simply on wealth and income inequality. At a fundamental level, life is way shittier than it needs to be for the bottom half of the income/wealth ladder in this country and that fraction gets bigger every year. Republicans don’t really even try to hide their intentions on this anymore. Blows my mind that Democrats don’t simply hammer them on it non stop.

2.) When it comes to climate change, sorry man, radical change is coming and is already underway. We had a window where incremental changes could’ve made a much bigger difference and pissed it away because change is hard. Now there’s really no other way to handle it, except sitting back and watching the consequences unfold largely unabated. Which, to be fair, is probably what we’ll happen because change is scary.
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

latinos maybe, which seem to vote as less of a monolith across different states (ca vs nv vs tx and so forth).  but i'm pretty sure african american votes have held pretty steady around 88-90% dem for 30+ years.  i'm not doing the research, but i remember this conversation from a year ago.

I think W got like 10 or 11 percent and that was the highest number the GOP had polled like, ever, or at least since realignment.  Typically it's 6 or 8 percent.  12 is  a number for the GOP. I will look it up b/c I'm going by memory and I might be wrong.

Edited by Wulaw Horn

Just now, David Dennison said:

I absolutely do not believe that. I believe white people in America are in denial about how much they benefit from a racially unjust society.

Of course white people benefitted from it, it's part racism (systemic for sure), and part white people made up 80-90% of the population so they're naturally going to have advantages, and you do have a hard on for America, based on your past posting history.

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Of course white people benefitted from it, it's part racism (systemic for sure), and part white people made up 80-90% of the population so they're naturally going to have advantages, and you do have a hard on for America, based on your past posting history.

So why do you keep voting for more of the same?

• Hook 'Em 1

I generally don’t pay close attention to politics but this election is interesting.

What exactly CRT is (it’s a collection of ideas, some people have shared views and some do not) and whether “CRT” is taught in schools (probably not explicitly part of the curriculum but there shouldn’t be any doubt that elements of it end up being introduced to students since the teacher’s Education degree probably included a healthy dose) are besides the point.

My view is that “CRT” just provided a convenient label for what many people are sick of. Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

The D’s can choose to see the writing on the wall and back off from the reflexive accusations or they can continue down the same path and get destroyed at the ballot box in 2022 and 2024. People are sick and tired of being accused of racism and are drawing the line at having their kids receive the same treatment.

And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, nor will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

Edited by Auto Driller
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

Stop it. We could say the same thing for areas where a Republican hasn't held office in a non white persons entire life.

The problem is bad government, whether it has a R or D behind it.

The problem is systemic racism perpetuated by a government dominated by white men.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

My view is that “CRT” just provided a convenient label for what many people are sick of. Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

Well, I’m going to have to make the assumption that you have a cushy job that affords you to post on message boards during the middle of the day.  It’s obvious you got there by standing on the backs of Bipoc. Racist imo.  

eta: damnit @Bravo

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Auto Driller said:

I generally don’t pay close attention to politics but this election is interesting.

What exactly CRT is (it’s a collection of ideas, some people have shared views and some do not) and whether “CRT” is taught in schools (probably not explicitly part of the curriculum but there shouldn’t be any doubt that elements of it end up being introduced to students since the teacher’s Education degree probably included a healthy dose) are besides the point.

The D’s can choose to see the writing on the wall and back off from the reflexive accusations or they can continue down the same path and get destroyed at the ballot box in 2022 and 2024. People are sick and tired of being accused of racism and are drawing the line at having their kids receive the same treatment.

And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, not will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

So instead of expecting white people to knock off the racism we should expect non-white people to shut up and stop calling them out for racism?

That's pretty on brand.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

Democratic politics has fully embraced the idea that “if you don’t agree with me then you are a racist.” Don’t like my budget proposal? Racist. Don’t agree with me about policing issues? Racist. It goes on and on. Most likely I will be quoted and accused of being racist for making this post.

Sounds like you get your news from a fair and balanced source lol. Nobody but self-victimizing republicans feel that way if you're backing your positions with rationality and logic, rather than hollow rhetoric. When you oppose progress for no reason but "I don't like change", resulting in prejudicial policies remaining in place, you're definitely not on the right side of things. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

You’re certainly entitled to your opinion and I think a lot of people across the political spectrum feel this way on various issues. To an extent that’s human nature. But I hope there’s two things you will consider:

1.) When it comes to issues like the structural racism and wealth inequality in this country, that’s an incredibly easy, “eh, fuck you I got mine” thing to say when you’re on the right side of things.

Side note - I don’t know how Democrats don’t dominate simply on wealth and income inequality. At a fundamental level, life is way shittier than it needs to be for the bottom half of the income/wealth ladder in this country and that fraction gets bigger every year. Republicans don’t really even try to hide their intentions on this anymore. Blows my mind that Democrats don’t simply hammer them on it non stop.

Man, you're talking to a guy who is pissed off that poor kids get to go to the same school his kids go to.

• Hook 'Em 1

The problem is systemic racism perpetuated by a government dominated by white men.
Well then, you should be happy that VA is doing their part to fix the problem. They just elected a black woman and Hispanic man to state wide office. How late did you stay up celebrating?

So will you pledge to support ALL candidates of color as they work to dismantle the white dominated government?

Gotta admit, I didn't expect you to be so gung ho for carpet bagging Alan West.
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

And since I know the accusation is coming I’ll just say it now - I didn’t vote for Trump in 2016 or 2020, nor will I vote for him in 2024 if (when) he runs again.

How many people call you racist?

Just now, Brothahorn said:

Well then, you should be happy that VA is doing their part to fix the problem. They just elected a black woman and Hispanic man to state wide office. How late did you stay up celebrating?

So will you pledge to support ALL candidates of color as they work to dismantle the white dominated government?

Gotta admit, I didn't expect you to be so gung ho for carpet bagging Alan West.

If they are running as a Republican, they are not working to dismantle the white dominated government. They are working to entrench it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And there's the martyrdom. Like clockwork.

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Why do you hate white people so much? I'm mexican and I love white people. None of my mexican friends or family hate white people. Honestly, it seems like a subset of white people hate white people more than anyone else. 

I don't hate white people. I hate their reluctance to acknowledge what they have done throughout American history.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

If they are running as a Republican, they are not working to dismantle the white dominated government. They are working to entrench it. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... HA !!  Yeah that's what they're doing all right.   Dave Dennison all knowing purveyor of facts and thought process' in the minds of minorities everywhere.  Why he's a gott damned modern day Nostril-domus !

I wonder, how do you come by your unique insight into what drives anyone to do anything, especially a minority as you have neither the skin color, heritage or life experiences of said minority.... I mean since you've been able to ride that inequity filled, white gravy train your entire life.  Just how would you know ?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.... HA !!  Yeah that's what they're doing all right.   Dave Dennison all knowing purveyor of facts and thought process' in the minds of minorities everywhere.  Why he's a gott damned modern day Nostril-domus !

I wonder, how do you come by your unique insight into what drives anyone to do anything, especially a minority as you have neither the skin color, heritage or life experiences of said minority.... I mean since you've been able to ride that inequity filled, white gravy train your entire life.  Just how would you know ?

I read.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It's white progressive males.  And no one likes them all that much.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Lulz. 

This was your post from the Taxes thread:

Im not saying to hell with anyone, I just believe things should have a semblance of fairness.  You want to tax these rich fucks at 33% have at it.  You want to cap them at a billion dollars, I don’t agree, but fuck it do it.  But at some point everyone should put something in the pot.  And sales tax and gasoline tax isn’t going to cut it.  I pay 12k in fucking taxes and my kids go to the same school as people that don’t pay 12k a year in rent.  Fair?  Shit is borked and the “middle” whatever that is, is being fucked the hardest.  

I don't think I mischaracterized your post in the slightest.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes, I fucking loathe freeloaders.  I loathe alligator arm motherfuckers at social outings, and think it’s bullshit I am obligated to cover someone else’s inadequacy IN FULL because they can’t get their shit straight.  I put in, you put in, everyone who’s succeeded in life puts in, but we gain no advantage over the guy who doesn’t.  Same education for our children, same public services, same everything.  One paying out the ass while staying too busy to use what we pay for, while the other has all the time in the fucking world to take. It’s bullshit. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Because at the end of the rainbow, they are all the same lying, scheming politicians. Save a handful on each side. Democrats love money and power just like Republicans. I know you see this.

They all run the schemes, just with different words.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Guess Denmark and all of those robust social services, is just full of racists...

All citizens living in Denmark must pay tax if they have an income.

International Community - Tax when you live or work in Denmark

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, RomaVicta said:

You bring up needing the middle to win as though the middle is some sort of thoughtful bloc of voters just hoping for a moderate alternative. I disagree. They're political idiots who don't have a clue and don't want to get political because it's all so nasty. 

Wow, do you have any idea as to the irony of your view? You’ve just called anyone that doesn’t agree with your progressive view point a political idiot.  That statement alone demonstrates more idiocy than many of the people you are complaining about.   

There’s a reason 55-60%+ of this country doesn’t embrace all of the ideas of progressives and it isn’t because they are all idiots. Far from it. If it wasn’t for moderates in this country we’d have such extreme policies from each party that the country couldn’t even function. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I don’t have any reason to believe you’re a racist or a Trumper, but you’ve definitely got a victim complex that tells me you came from texags.
  • Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

It begins with self loathing and spreads from there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Wow, do you have any idea as to the irony of your view? You’ve just called anyone that doesn’t agree with your progressive view point a political idiot.  That statement alone demonstrates more idiocy than many of the people you are complaining about.   

There’s a reason 55-60%+ of this country doesn’t embrace all of the ideas of progressives and it isn’t because they are all idiots. Far from it. If it wasn’t for moderates in this country we’d have such extreme policies from each party that the country couldn’t even function. 

We actually have extremely right-wing policies and it was dumb moderates who gave them to us.